PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use "grumpy" as meaning "down and out"? (not irritated)

Dario D.
04-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Does anyone ever use the word "grumpy" (in real-life, not in literature) as meaning "down and out" (update: actually, just "down" - realized "down and out" means poor), or just "not feeling so hot today"? (as opposed to irritated/annoyed/etc)

Just wondering how far the definitions of this word stretch among some. I know it's not COMMON to see grumpy as meaning anything but irritated, but I just want to know if ANYONE sees it like that.

WriteKnight
04-11-2009, 04:43 PM
"Down and out" - "Not feeling so hot today" - describes someone who is probably not in a good mood. I wouldn't choose grumpy as an adjective but I suppose it could be. Grumpy to me - indicates an outward expression of feeling 'down and out' - instead of being withdrawn, one is vocal about being down and out. "Irritated" would be a closer synonym.

Maryn
04-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I've never seen nor used it in that way. To me, grumpy is strictly about one's mood or outlook.

Maryn, somewhat grumpy at this very moment

Chase
04-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Does anyone ever use the word "grumpy" (in real-life, not in literature) as meaning "down and out", or just "not feeling so hot today"? (as opposed to irritated/annoyed/etc).

Not even "down and out" and "not feeling so hot" mean anything alike. Those were eighth and nine dwarves, Disgraced and Indisposed.

Chumplet
04-11-2009, 08:06 PM
How about morose?

Perks
04-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Nope. I've never heard or used 'grumpy' to mean anything other than irritable.

Judg
04-11-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm with the majority. Grumpy means in a bad mood, and I've never seen or heard it used in any other way. Or if it was, I misunderstood it.

Dario D.
04-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Oops, I meant "out", not "down and out". (the dictionary says that means 'very poor') "Down and out" is how somebody put it when I asked... (it's funny the definitions people have for things. Like using "annoyed" and "upset" for sad/down as well, rather than only irritated).

Kathleen42
04-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I sometimes do but because, with me, irritable and depressed usually go hand in hand.

I've not heard anyone else use it this way.

Carmy
04-12-2009, 06:18 AM
I've never heard of grumpy used to describe anything but an irritated person.

Now then, Chase, about those other dwarves . . . LOL

pdr
04-12-2009, 10:47 AM
confusing grump with dump?
As in 'down in the dumps' or 'feeling dumpish'?

Dario D.
04-13-2009, 08:14 AM
confusing grump with dump?
As in 'down in the dumps' or 'feeling dumpish'?
I guess you could say that.

I just read somewhere where an author wrote in a book, "I can't always get around to writing a letter, because some days I'm busy, some days I'm grumpy, some days etc..."

I just can't figure out what on Earth being grumpy has to do with anything, or how it can stop you from getting around to something, so I'm trying to figure out if it could have meant something else, like being "down", or having simply woken up on the wrong side of the bed (depressed/tired/etc).

I mean, my definition of "grumpy" would certainly never have me say, "I can't cook today, because I'm grumpy," so I'm trying to figure out if there are some phantom definitions of the word floating around out there, like there are with Upset, Annoyed, and a few other things that can have some uncommon definitions for some people.

FennelGiraffe
04-13-2009, 06:55 PM
I just read somewhere where an author wrote in a book, "I can't always get around to writing a letter, because some days I'm busy, some days I'm grumpy, some days etc..."

I just can't figure out what on Earth being grumpy has to do with anything, or how it can stop you from getting around to something

Writing a letter while feeling grumpy might lead to the letter sounding inappropriately harsh or rude.