PDA

View Full Version : This will seem silly, but . . .

Travis J. Smith
04-11-2009, 04:22 AM
Although this is a very minor detail that the story is not the least bit reliant upon, it would otherwise drive me crazy and my searches have been fruitless. And I didn't know where else to turn but the crack team that is this board. :Hug2:

I distinctly remember a children's short story that talked about a brother and sister going about doing this and that. The sentences were ludicrously simple and redundant. And what I remember most, and I hope not falsely, is a line where it says the two, "Went rolling down the hill."

What wit I have has come out to play during a revision and it was on a roll until it hit this snag. With my luck, it'll be a nonexistent story, or my recollection of the line will be way off base.

Hopefully, this is an easily answered question that won't be left unanswered for more than a couple minutes.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you may give me.

TheIT
04-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Sounds like the "Jack and Jill" nursery rhyme. I can't remember the whole thing:

Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water
<something>, and <something> came tumbling after

Maybe Google?

DeleyanLee
04-11-2009, 04:35 AM
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.

I've always wondered about a place that let a prince & princess do menial chores like that, y'know?

TheIT
04-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Thanks, DeleyanLee, that's it. I think "crown" refers to the top of his head, although I like the idea of sending the prince & princess out to do chores. Might teach them humility. ;)

dolores haze
04-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Up Jack got and home he trot, as fast as he could caper.
He went to bed to mend his head with vinegar and brown paper.

DeleyanLee
04-11-2009, 04:40 AM
Thanks, DeleyanLee, that's it. I think "crown" refers to the top of his head, although I like the idea of sending the prince & princess out to do chores. Might teach them humility. ;)

Yeah, I know what it really means, but I like my version better too. :D

TheIT
04-11-2009, 04:41 AM
The "Jack and Jill (song)" entry on Wikipedia has some of the variations and possible origins.

KTC
04-11-2009, 04:44 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_and_Jill_(song)

Travis J. Smith
04-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Thank you all for collaborating to provide me the answer I needed. Doomo arigatto gozaimasu~! :)

It'll work better for my purposes than the bland, "Went/rolled down the hill," line I remembered, too.

Barb D
04-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Louisa May Alcott wrote a book called Jack and Jill, about two friends who went sledding. Jack was injured. It's not a picture book; it's about the same length as Little Women.

It starts with the rhyme

Jack and Jill went up the hill
To coast with fun and laughter
Jack fell down and broke his crown
And Jill came tumbling after

Travis J. Smith
04-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Seeing as I did not want to make another thread as "silly" as this one, I'll ask the question here, hoping someone will see it and be able to answer it.

I recall a quotation that went along the lines of, "I would not wish life on my worst enemy," and thought it'd be appropriate quote to preface my novel, in a sense.

I don't know how else to put that technique that dozens of authors use. Throw in relevant quotes prior to the beginning of the writing, like Stephen King threw in quotes from the poem his Dark Tower series was inspired by and reliant on to an extent.

Once again, Googling turned up nothing.

Rabe
04-11-2009, 09:25 AM
I recall a quotation that went along the lines of, "I would not wish life on my worst enemy," and thought it'd be appropriate quote to preface my novel, in a sense.

I seem to recall seeing that in connection with an old movies starlet.

Someone like Rita Hayworth. It was said more toward their sunset years I believe. But, like you, I have trouble finding the exact reference source as well.

But I do recall reading something like that somewhere.

Rabe...

Travis J. Smith
04-13-2009, 04:19 AM
Nobody knows who said that quote, or something to that affect? Maybe I'm just secretly pessimistic and made up that quote about life myself. :tongue

semilargeintestine
04-13-2009, 04:28 AM
I've heard variations of it, but never that one specifically. It doesn't really make sense to me.