Internet Killed the Library Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Or not.

http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/0409/611996.html

A piece of information presented during the broadcast is missing from the transcript: Memberships for library cards are up 24% since the beginning of last year.

So, people --more people, are discovering books again. At least they are here. Has anyone else seen a local report on how their library system is doing? I'd wager the recession is leading many people back to books, which can only mean good news for writers.

And it appears that romance is a healthy market as well:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6644217.html

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen any local reports but I wouldn't be surprised. With the recession, a lot of building are trying to find ways to cut back.

When my father lost his job in the Canadian recession of the 90's, one of the first things my parents did was get us all library cards.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
My library's membership figures have risen in the last few months. People seem to have realised that books are free from libraries. Doubtless when people have money again, the figures will go down.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Local library here is doing a booming business - in books as well as CDs, Videos, and music. Puma

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
The Library we have here my very small home town (less than 500) is struggling. But it is completely volunteer.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
The library has computers now thanks to Bill Gates. I don't know a lot about the man, but he put the money up according to our librarian.

I've always been a library person. Books taste better when they're free.

Deleted member 42

Local libraries are serving more patrons than ever--but budgets are way down.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My local library is doing great (he said, as a member of the Nashville Library Foundation). Nashville built a new, large downtown main library a few years ago (designed by Robert A. M. Stern) and is now replacing most of the branch libraries with larger ones as well.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Funny line in that story:

"Officials also have seen an increase in people taking out books. That is also free to members and membership is free to county residents."

So many people use the library for the internet and DVD's that a news station feels the need to explain the books are free? My wife is a library director and she's never been so busy, although they are having a really hard time getting sponsors for events.

Status
Not open for further replies.