Dungeons and Discourse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I have been lurking around here, reading threads and I find that it is...a really nice place! A place to bounce ideas and philosophies around, to get many many points of view.

However...I was thinking that, well, this place needs just a bit...of fun!

Recently, I have discovered a roleplaying game called: Dungeons and Discourse.

In it, you choose a Philosophy, team up with some other travelers who have similar philosophies, and then get a DM (Dungeon Master) and you're ready to go!

The Dungeon Master creates the setting and the story, as well as playing all the enemies (various metaphysical monsters, such as Neo-Luddites, Pythagoreans and the Dread Solipsist).

The rules? Well, I don't have the rulebook yet (My friend, who introduced this to me, is going to E-mail it to me)

Whenever an enemy or obstacles faces you, you and your group must use your philosophies and your wits to come up with a way around them. The trick is to know your philosophy inside and out, so you can make metaphors solid.

For example, let us say there are two players: One is playing a Hindu and her friend is a Strange Existentialist and the two of them are attacked by a shirking horde of...EGOCENTRISTS!

As the wailing, obese creatures, fat from their self indulgences and the indulgences of those around them, lumber towards the pair, the Existentalist decides to try and distract the Egocentrists by imbuing them with Existential Dread!

Distracted by the sudden feeling of horror at the meaningless of the cosmos, the Egocentrists pause, giving the Hindu time to cast On the Back of an Elephant. Then it is but a simple kick to send the Egocenrists flying off the world's edge, past the Elephant, past the Tortis, and into the abyss of nothingness.

Course, they could have avoided all that trouble if they had had a Potion of Maturity with them...

So, this thread is more to scope out any interest in running a game of Dungions and Discourse. Any and all philosphies, religions and ideas are welcome! The actual rule system (Its fairly simple, but there are more rules than just "make stuff up") will be put up later, so for now this is just an interest check

And of course, I can't have this thread without paying homage to the comic that started it all:

Dresden Codak

The funny story is...the author was later quoted as having never intended for the idea of Dungeons and Discourse to go anywhere...he had just made random stuff up that he thought was funny. Then his fans just kinda...ran with it.

Huh.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I have been lurking around here, reading threads and I find that it is...a really nice place! A place to bounce ideas and philosophies around, to get many many points of view.

However...I was thinking that, well, this place needs just a bit...of fun!

Recently, I have discovered a roleplaying game called: Dungeons and Discourse.

I realize that the "discourse" part is there to remind us of Dragons, but technically,isn't the game more of Dungeons and Allegory? More Medieval too.

img2139.jpg

http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast262.htm

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't make the name of the game up!

And, well, one could consider the combat in the game as being Discourse.

Solid Metaphor Discourse.

It works!

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
If I had to play the game, it would be the DM's Philosophy I'd learn inside and out.

Gehanna

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Well, it seems satirical but (according to Fowler at least) the motive of satire is to try and amend fault. What I'm not clear on is: what fault is it that the game is picking on?

This is the sort of game that would quickly make my face ache from smiling too politely. I'd appreciate it more if it were witty rather than satirical. I.e. to surprise informed players by throwing new light on difficult topics.

To give you a sense of the difference, Bored of the Rings is a satirical (and perhaps deserved) poke at Lord of the Rings, while Monkey is in part a witty exposition of Buddhism. I'd absolutely play a game based on Monkey or Narnia, full of parables and allegory before I'd play a satirical game about philosophy in general that seems principally motivated by schoolboy cynicism. On the other hand, satire has its place. I once play-tested a friend's game that satirised the fashion industry and it was hilarious -- but that's because there were real faults to satirise (as evidenced by the satirical movie Zoolander, say).

Last edited:

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
So I'm guessing you guys...aren't interested?

I'm interested! It's just the "discourse" part that I think sounds a bit forced.

How about "Advanced Allegorical Dungeons?"

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds fun to me, too. :)

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
My geekiness knows little boundaries, but I'm already knee deep in WoW, Runes of Magic, Runescape, Titan Quest, Fable 2, and D&D.

If I were to add something else I may implode.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds fun to me, too. :)

Huzzah, two player!

And Ruv...its not really a satire.

Hmm, how to explain it. Its like...a celebration of various kinds of philosophy by poking a little fun at how seriously philosophies sometimes take themselves. You use your knowledge of philosophy and your ability to USE metaphores and themes in your philosphy to navigate various hurdles and challenges and to kind of 'fight' other philosphies.

Its not ment to make any of the philsophies seem worse than any others...its just about having a good time.

Now, not everyone would enjoy a game like this. I can tots understand if you don't want to play.

But I've never seen it as a cynical satire of and philosphy...

mister_lister

Banned
Reaction score
The LORD told me that this "DUNGEONS AND DISCOURSE" idea is Satanic.

LORD Cthulu would never tolerate such a game in his presense.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Too Millennial for this Gen-Xer.

Gehanna

Notus

Registered
Reaction score
I really like the idea and really want to play it--dresden codak kinda inspired me to learn about philosophy--and I've even been nebbing around the wiki for the game but I don't know anyone who would actually be up for it. D:

But yeah, I'd love to play the game :D

Status
Not open for further replies.