If I did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
The book by OJ Simpson. Does anyone remember this? I'm interested to know as much as I can, but there's not a lot of info on the intranet. Any comments would help. I've read the WIKI but it's not real informative about what the industry thought of the book.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
have you tried looking in google news? i remember reading A LOT of news articles online leading up to the whole fiasco.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Gawker and GalleyCat wrote about it at the time, if you want industry gossip. Try searching "Judith Reagan."

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Was it actually released? I thought the publishers pulled it when the public exploded about it.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm not real good with the search thing. I remember reading this book so it was released somehow. The leak to the internet doesn't answer it for me though because I've never read a book on the internet.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Nancy I love you, I knew I read this book. The memory was the first thing to go for me so I was sitting here thinking I made it up in my head or I was crazy.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I actually bought and read this because I was fascinated by the story of the ghost writer. He gets back from a trip and his agent calls, "You're not going to believe who wants you to write a book..."

It's full of classic abuser nuance - basically I didn't do it, but you can see why she needed a little killing.

I came away with the impression that both OJ and Nicole Simpson were impossible to live with. Two needy, gigantic egos in too small a space. California wasn't even big enough for the both of them. It reminded me of dysfunctional relationships I've seen where two people can't leave each other alone, but can't turn the other loose either.

Ugly, ugly, sad, and ultimately fatal.

And I think Mr. Simpson is right where he belongs.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm not real good with the search thing. I remember reading this book so it was released somehow. The leak to the internet doesn't answer it for me though because I've never read a book on the internet.

There are a lot of search engines. I prefer Google for the refining I am able to do within my searches. I do not have to be too technical until, I need be. I always start here:

http://www.google.com/

For this search where I found the links I put in other post? I started on that link and typed in Simpson. Hit enter. A whole page of links popped up. Nothing of interest to your query as something that may help you.

So, I scrolled down to bottom and click on the little "search within results" link lower right in the light blue "banner" type area. A new window pops up. I typed in OJ. Hit enter again. Up pops a page of links. Nothing related to book. Mostly a whole page of his case and jail sentence that was recent. So, I scrolled down to that "search within results" and clicked it again. New window pops up. In there I typed Book. Hit enter again. Up popped a page with all the links I put in that message.

Easiest search method for me and allows me to start broad search and refine as I go in order to get more details or better information. And, since I do not type in ALL the search words first (IE Simpson OJ book) I did not get everything with any ONE of those in it. Works for me.

Hope this helps you learn to search better Wayne! Good luck.

Christine

Kaylee

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Ronald Goldmans family got the rights to it and changed the title.

shokadh

Now serving Table for 300
Registered
Reaction score
What I never figured out was, who's Charlie? Did OJ throw him into the "confession" as an accomplice because of his own conscience was trying to pull him back from the brink? (his not-so-evil twin) Just wondering if there are any murder mystery hounds on who can supply an answer to that, based on killers' typical profiles/MO's.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
When it first came out, we had to keep it behind the registers at the bookstore. When it was re-released by the Goldmans, it went into True Crime.

I still find it amusing that the "IF" in "IF I Did It" is a tiny word in a minute font within the "I".

I think the editor who took on the original project got fired. I know--money, money, always money--but don't you think it's slightly foolish to take on OJ Simpson's smug, snide confession of one of the most, well, iconic murders in the last 60 years?

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
Hindsight is always best to know such - re: foolishness of taking on OJ book. Yeah, appears was very foolish for that editor/agent/pub house - who first took it on. For, they lost a lot.

However, initially? Could have been a possible career maker of huge proportions. It did not turn out that way from the original attempt, but there was always a chance that such was the "scoop of a lifetime" that would make a ton of money.

Was not waaaaay outside the box to think that people would want to read the book - even from OJ perspective. Obviously, was not just one person thinking so, for a pub house (reputable) took on the project. Thus, many believed there was merit to doing the project. All it needed was public positive opinion to finalize the deal. Which was not given. But, who knew? Could, very realistically, have gone the other way - (even if the proceeds would have gone to Goldman family without them interceding to get the money owed them) - and been a huge money maker for pub house. Had it only been well received when publicity came out.

Seems to be a huge trend for people to want to know the famous - every minute detail of their lives (down to what ply toilet paper they use). Add to that the preoccupation with Infamy even more. People really like to read about true crimes, murderers, famous people who have problems with addiction, stalkers, etc. And seem really to have preoccupation with one-time heros/famous people that have fallen from grace and become infamous even more.

So today? Yeah, seems silly the chance was taken for it was not successful as originally started. But, it could have easily gone the other way too.

Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.