You know that book that as a kid you took out of the library over and over ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 42
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

Yeah, that book. It was a kid's book, maybe YA.

You'd take it out, and read it, over and over, and only return it when you had to. And even then, you only returned it so you could renew it and take it home again.

Until they said you had to let someone else take it out, and you'd wait two weeks, and then, take it out again.

That book.

What book was it for you?

For me, it was a collection of Robin Hood tales, presented as a novel. I think it was the one illustrated by Jamie Wyeth, but I'm not sure.

It was the summer I turned eight, the summer I finally figured out how the whole reading thing worked . . .

What was yours?

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
I had so many of those! The book I checked out the most (until my dad just bought me a copy), was Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop.

Honorable mentions go to just about everything by L.M. Montgomery, Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade and Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You by Barthe DeClements , and a book I can't remember the name of. I think it was written in the 70s, possibly very early 80s. It had been out a while when I read it, in any case. It was about a girl who was thirteen and obsessed with listening to Mr. Tambourine Man. She had a best friend who got in a car accident, and she wanted to wear madras skirts and have hair that parted in the middle like the popular girls. And it seems like there was something about the beach and a boardwalk in it. Does anyone have any idea what book I'm talking about? I read it a lot when I was ten or eleven and would love to remember what it was called.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was 50 years ago. I don't remember any library book which fascinated me like that. I was always getting something new. But I did own an awesome collection of Hardy Boys that were read over and over.

MM

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
The Girl Who Owned a City by O.T. Nelson. I was in 3rd or 4th grade when I read it the first time.

I don't know if I ever had a copy, but I bought my daughter a copy. She didn't like it.

And when I was younger, it was the Jenny and the Cat Club series.

Last edited:

loiterer

Registered
Reaction score
The first book I remember reading over and over by myself was a picture book called something like "The Brick Street Boys" - though I think I liked the illustrations as much as the text.

The first non-picture book I was obsessed with was "I Am the Cheese" by Robert Cormier. That, and "The Owl Service" by Alan Garner. Both of them were actually too advanced for me at first so they seemed to unfold more every time I read them.

kikilynn

You can find me on occasion.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreader.wordpress.com
I totally don't remember the name of it, and I've been trying forever. I want to buy it for my kids. On the cover is a little girl and a lion with braids and bows in his hair. If I remember right it's about a girl that gets stuck in the jungle and befriends all the animals there.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
I can't recall the particular name, but it was an illustrated book of Greek mythology.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember reading the same over and over; but I do remember devouring Jill Murphy; Jenny Nimmo; Alan Garner; Anne Fine; Peter Dickinson . . .

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
A book about slot car racing written in the late 1960s when the hobby was still very popular. It showed tracks and car setups, how to build the tracks and how to race competitively.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I was a first grader, and discovered Bambi's Children in the school library -- which was a completely magical place, and Mrs. Springer, the librarian, would play checkers with me over lunch. She always had coffee breath.

I couldn't READ that book enough times. I don't know why, either -- and my mom offered to find me a copy in a used book store (it was out of print at the time) but I didn't want any other copy, only THAT one. It was, in retrospect, a tad obsessive.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I read The Outsiders more than thirty times in my life. I read it this past summer.

MetalDog

Woof!
Registered
Reaction score
For me it was Monkey (the Arthur Waley translation) - largely due to the cheesy Japanese TV series and my penchant for stealing the broom handle so I could pretend to be Monkey King. I was very surprised when I had to get special permission to get it out of the adult section and I didn't understand all of it, but I still loved Monkey.

For a story written in the 1590s by someone from another culture, making a british kid laugh every read is quite the achievement =) Eventually I was given my own copy and I still have it and read it every few years. Falling apart a bit by now.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
The Luck of Troy by Roger Lancelyn Green. It was the first book I truly adored. I must have taken it out of my school library eight or nine times. Then I made the mistake of leaving on the shelves too long and the County Library Van took it away. Broke my heart, that did.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
It was all the Honey Bunch series. They were very old when I was a kid (and I'm fairly old), but I loved being taken back to the 1920's-30's.

I'm collecting them now.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Follow My Leader by James B. Garfield
King of the Wind by Mageruite Henry
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (and A Wind in the Door and A Swiftly Tilting Planet)

and I was obsessed with biographies of Helen Keller

This cover 3rd,4th, and 5th grade. Then I sobered up and read Lord of the Rings eleven times, but oddly, never fell into the role-playing spin-offs. Nope, just wanted to read the book over and over and over.

Spring

Little Miss Sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
The Diamond in the Window by Jane Langton. I adored this book. It's a mystery that two kids have to solve and all the clues were from the writings of Thoreau and Alcott and other Transcendentalists. It takes place in Concord, MA, right near where I grew up, so I also loved that connection.
What a cool book. I'll have to go check it out again. :)

Also:
Hardy Boys Mysteries - read them repeatedly just cause they were there in my house.
A Wrinkle in Time

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The top two of way too many to count:

Tatsinda by Elizabeth Enright (grades 3-5)
The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron (grade 6-now) I love love love this book. Found a used library copy through ABEbooks a few years ago that's exactly the one I used to read. *hugs self in glee*

I also reread all the Anne of Green Gables books and The Wrinkle in Time trilogy many times, but the above two were THE books.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I discovered Johnny Tremaine by Esther Forbes in about fourth grade. Stressful time, since my family moved, I changed schools, just got somewhat comfortable, and had to change schools again.

I begged my parents for a hardbound copy of the book on every gift-giving occasion, but it never happened. When I left eighth grade, to start at yet another new school, I stole it. I still have it--but when I was a young adult, I sent the school library a check for $50 and a letter explaining why.

I read it to my kids. They laughed at me, because I still tear up when Rab dies.

Maryn, veteran thief

Status
Not open for further replies.