OMG! Talking to agent tomorrow, what should I ask?

Tricksie-ish

Registered
Reaction score
I am over-the-moon excited. Talking to an agent tomorrow--she really liked my manuscript and wants to talk about possibly representing me and to see if we suit each other.

What are the questions that I should ask her?

Btw, she's totally legit, vetted with P&E, several threads about her here. On those threads, a couple of folks mentioned that she is their agent...I might PM those folks and ask how they've liked her, but maybe that should be after I've talked to her?

Advise me, please!!!!!

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
*FREAKS OUT FOR TRICKSIE*

GAHH!!! I have nothing useful to add, other than I'm freaking excited for you!!! :)

Um...I would ask about your ms, and find out exactly what she likes about it. Ask about doubts you might have had, like, "Is this character too unlikable?", etc. That way you might get a feel for what revisions will be like, AND you'll find out what she appreciated about your story. :)

Deleted member 42

I am over-the-moon excited. Talking to an agent tomorrow--she really liked my manuscript and wants to talk about possibly representing me and to see if we suit each other.

Btw, she's totally legit, vetted with P&E, several threads about her here. On those threads, a couple of folks mentioned that she is their agent...I might PM those folks and ask how they've liked her, but maybe that should be after I've talked to her?

Advise me, please!!!!!

* Who else does she represent?

Get names and look for their books. After you've met, contact one or two.

*What makes her different from other agents?

*What will her response be if you have a problem--yourhouse is hit by a meteor, and you're going to be thirty days late on ms. delivery--what's her response, and role?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Advise me, please!!!!!

First, congratulations. Now, a few questions *I* would ask:

- how does she see your book fitting into the market - Because you want to see if she sees it the way you do - ie, if you think it's a serious piece of lit and she wants to talk it up as chick lit.

- how does she prefer to communicate with her clients - this will give you a sense for what she will go for in a crisis and your tolerances for each other - ie, if you are someone who always likes to talk on the phone to work things out, and she likes dealing with stuff in writing.

- how does she see her role after the book sells - ie, I'd want to know if she sees herself as not needed until the next book needs shopping, unless there is a problem? Or if she sees herself as a conduit between you and the publisher?

- what would be her response if a problem came up between you and the editor?

- I'd probably also ask her to walk me through the process of selling the book, even though I know the basics, to see her process and ways she works.

good luck.

~suki

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Just FYI, you might end up in my situation (a good thing). My agent sold himself to me on The Call. He came right out with his experience, contacts, and plans for my book.

Danthia

You can also ask what what working with them would be like. What they expect from you as a client. What you should expect of them as your agent.

Tricksie-ish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The talk went great, we really got along, she did sell herself to me and I now officially have an agent!!!! I am beyond thrilled!!!!!!!!!!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Tricksie. It's wonderful to hear you've made it so far! Best of luck, and I hope you and your agent have a long and productive relationship.