PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone any experience of working in a chemist/pharmacy?

Millicent M'Lady
04-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Hey all,

The MC in my current WIP has a job working in a pharmacy. While she is not a pharmacist herself and works as floor staff/as a beauty counter attendant, I wonder if there any usual procedures in a pharmacy I should note to make it believable?

Thanks in advance!:)

RJK
04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
The type of store you're describing is similar to a large chain drug store in the US. In these stores, the pharmacy is run as a seperate department. the Pharmacist is in charge and accountable for the drug inventory, cash registers, etc. The rest of the store is run by a retail manager. If your character worked at the cosmetics counter, she'd report to the retail manager and have nothing to do with the pharmacy.

DeeCaudill
04-09-2009, 06:31 PM
A friend of mine, now in medical school, has a pharmacy doctorate and worked in a chain pharmacy for a while. He was always a bit down on the education he received, calling it "Count by five school". Not everyone behind the counter has a Pharm.D.--many are no more than pharmacy technicians with a year or two of schooling. The Pharm.D. holder is the one making serious money (six figures in many cases).

Drive-through lanes open up all sorts of irritations, as customers often ask for retail items in addition to their prescriptions. Want to annoy your pharmacist? Ask him or her to pick up your photos when you go through a drive-through.

Millicent M'Lady
04-10-2009, 01:59 AM
A friend of mine, now in medical school, has a pharmacy doctorate and worked in a chain pharmacy for a while. He was always a bit down on the education he received, calling it "Count by five school". Not everyone behind the counter has a Pharm.D.--many are no more than pharmacy technicians with a year or two of schooling. The Pharm.D. holder is the one making serious money (six figures in many cases).

Drive-through lanes open up all sorts of irritations, as customers often ask for retail items in addition to their prescriptions. Want to annoy your pharmacist? Ask him or her to pick up your photos when you go through a drive-through.

They have drive-through pharmacies where you are?! Is that in the States? Or am I picking this up wrong? (It wouldn't be unusual for that to happen!)