Waiting for the next book in a series? What's your worst waiting experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
HI all,

So, I picked up George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones and blazed through that bad boy in 3 days.

Then I went threw Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, and lastly A Feast For Crows (which was written in 2005 BTW)

Now i'm ready for the next book, went to Barnes and Nobles and guess what. It is not Avialable.

WTF?

Release date is Sept 2009.

He's had since 2005. What the hell man.

So this got me thinking. What is the worst wait that you've had to endure?

Any rules you now following becuase of your experience.

Mel...

kikilynn

You can find me on occasion.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreader.wordpress.com
Right now Im waiting on book 9 in the sookie stackhouse series, it comes out next month though. I've been waiting over a year for it...at least it's not that long for you.

Phoenix Fury

From the ashes, baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Martin's known for two things outside of his quality writing (although that can be overstated--I'm kind of lukewarm about his stuff myself): killing off characters like there's no tomorrow, which I think you've brought up in another thread, and the incredibly slow release of his books. Martin's started entering Jordan territory in some people's minds because of this trait, and he's gotten so many inquiries about the release date that he's pretty defensive about it at this point. Pat Rothfuss had a pretty funny blog entry about this subject, too, since he's also gotten some grief for the delay in releasing the second book of his series.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The wait between The Wastelands and Wizard and Glass in King's Dark Tower series was pretty heinous for me.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
For me, its the wait between Dean Koontz's Seize the Night, released in 1999, and Ride the Storm, still unreleased with no target date in sight.

By the way Mel, you said you'd come back and let us know if you were gonna kill any of us for pushing you to finish AFFC . . . do I need to make sure all my doors and windows are locked tonight?

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
The Time Machine, by H G Wells, was published in 1895. The sequel, The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter, was published in 1995. That was a tough wait.

Anyone else heard the rumour that it's going to end up as a trilogy?

Cheers,
Rob

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
At the moment I'm waiting for Matt Hilton's debut novel. He's been talked about so much since landing his book deal as the new Lee Child I'm dying to see if he is going to live up to the hype.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I laugh at your impatience. The wait between books three and four of Martin's series was five years. I've waited another four years since then. That's nine years, in case you can't add. You've only had to wait a few days. Quitcherbitchin.

Also, I have bad news. The release date for the next book is not September 2009. It isn't even finished yet. Don't believe any release date you see unless it's on GRRM's personal website.

You're probably looking at 2010 or later.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Worst experience? There was a cozy mystery series about an art forger. I actually got interested in it researching to see what genre I was going to write in. I enjoyed the book so much that I went to the author's Web site to see what else she had. I noticed she had a contest for a painting based on a question from the book, so I entered. I won the painting. I heard from the author, sent my information to her (the painting was of my grandmother in the Renoir style). The agent contacted me and did a press release. The painting was supposed to be done in conjunction with the publication of the next book in the series.

Then nothing for a while, except for occasional emails that the author was working on it. Then she finally finished it and sent it to me, and that was it. I'd thought this was to promote the book, and it didn't seem like anything else had happened. I checked in the bookstore, but no other books were out. Visited the Web site again--the publisher had cancelled the series. That's the first time I'd ever seen evidence showing that if a book doesn't sell well, the publisher will drop it.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
HE DIED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LAST BOOK!!!!

I almost swore off unfinished series when he did that.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
my wait's not been long but frustrating. I love Andy Mcnab, he's a UK writer, and every time he releases a hard cover, the bookstore here, Chapters, has it listed as being available. we (my sister and I) are assured that yes, definitely, they will have the hard cover and it'll be out in a few months. And then, sometimes a few days after the hard cover release date, we get told, oh sorry, they changed their minds they're waiting for the trade paperback release, so then it's another six months. Grrrrr. much nashing of teeth.

A few times I have ordered from amazon.co.uk just so i can get it sooner. But I can't imagine waiting 5 yrs for the next book in a series. I would have forgotten all about the series by then.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I had to wait 22 years after White Gold Wielder for The Runes of the Earth. Of course, Stephen Donaldson wrote lots of stuff in the meantime, but still...

*Makes a mental note to surf over to Amazon later and look for a release date for the third book of the last series...*

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
The Dark Tower series. I actually gave up.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the next Pendergast book from Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. They're pretty regular, so I expect it this summer.

Worst wait? The next Jane Austen novel, or at least an Austenian novel that's as good as one of Jane's. Now THAT'S been a long wait and no end in sight. ;)

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
"The Riverworld Series" - book 'three'. I had to wait two years I think, and here's the kicker. When book three was released, there was a forward from Farmer saying "Hey, sorry it took so long, but more than that - I'm sorry that my publisher has decided this third and 'final' installment, shall be broken into TWO books - so this last book, isn't really the last book at all... you'll have to wait some more."

Man, that pissed me off. Still, a great series.

I stopped reading Jordan's stuff. I've forgotten half of what was going on in Martin's stuff, so I'm not keen on waiting. Fortunately, I just read "Small Favors" from the Dresden series - so I'm up to speed again, and looking for the new one this month. I think Jim Butcher is putting out Dresden books at an awesome pace - and keeping the quality as well. Truly amazing.

Quossum

Registered
Reaction score
The Architect of Sleep

Cruel, cruel author got pissed at his publisher for screwing with his overall plan for the series and so, in his own words, "gave the baby poison to save it from the Nazis." There shan't be a sequel, and the story ends SO tantalizingly...! :cry:

--Q

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, mine has been Martin.

I'd actually purchased Game of Thrones right when I went off to college, but didn't read it until about sophomore year. Once I started, I was hooked. By the time I was "into it" A Storm of Swords was out in paperback, so I blew through all three of them. I got my roommate and coworker into them. Waited for A Feast For Crows. It came out, I got it for Christmas, and read it...gosh, I think it was as I was graduating college?

And I have been waiting.

And waiting.

And waiting.

I check his blog periodically. He's been fussing with the next one for quite some time.

Waiting for the next book in Simon R. Green's Deathstalker series was also painful, but mostly because I just love his writing and I was seriously in need of some entertaining space opera. Nothing as bad as Martin. Green was like getting wisdom teeth out; Martin is like...I don't know...ruptured appendix?

*gnashes teeth*

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
By the way Mel, you said you'd come back and let us know if you were gonna kill any of us for pushing you to finish AFFC . . . do I need to make sure all my doors and windows are locked tonight?

*grumbles* I guess you all are safe. For now. As a rule I give my favorite authors 'one' mistake. Terry Goodkind strung me along with worse dribble than GRRM so taking that into consideration, I will give you all a pass :)

The ending for AFFC wasn't too bad. THe only thing that upsets me is looking back over that book. I'm now convinced that GRRM didn't plan out his story that well back in books two and three. Given what I know about AFFC, looking back he had a lot of opportunity to set AFFC up much better than he did. And he could have at least cut out 40% of that backstory. My eyes were glazing over and I had to 'force' myself to read through it.

I laugh at your impatience. The wait between books three and four of Martin's series was five years. I've waited another four years since then. That's nine years, in case you can't add. You've only had to wait a few days. Quitcherbitchin.

Also, I have bad news. The release date for the next book is not September 2009. It isn't even finished yet. Don't believe any release date you see unless it's on GRRM's personal website.

You're probably looking at 2010 or later.

Holy crap. IN that case, i'm done with GRRM. Wow, five years to write a book. that is four years way too long. Granted his books are huge and complex so I could give him two years. He wrote AFFCs back in 2004-2005 and we are in 2009 now.

I think my new rule will be to never get involved in a series until at least four books are written. Then at least you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Come to think of it. I'm having a hard time coming up with a series that was still effective after 4 books. Most of the good ones end after 3 or 4 books.

Maybe that's a good rule to follow

Mel...

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for The Dark Tower Series. It was worth the wait in the end.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
GRRM is very busy. You have to realize he doesn't just sit and work on Dance all day... He has other writing projects, he's been an editor/contributor of several recently released short story collection IIRC, he goes to conventions, he blogs regularly, he has people making swords and busts and games and HBO is interested in making a series out of ASOIAF...

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would start a series and not finish it, but maybe that's just me. Sure he's taking a while. But it'll be out when it'll be out, and I'm not going to delude myself - I will be buying it.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I once picked up a book to read on a plane flight and rejoiced because it seemed to be a stand-alone fantasy novel. As I was reading it on the plane and getting more involved in the story, I started wondering how the author was going to wrap up all the plot threads so quickly until I turned the last page and hit the dreaded "TO BE CONTINUED". Of course, the second book hadn't been written yet. :rant:

What annoyed me was that nothing on the front cover indicated "book 1". If a book is part of a series, TELL ME so I can decide whether I want to invest the time in reading more than one book.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
GRRM is very busy. You have to realize he doesn't just sit and work on Dance all day... He has other writing projects, he's been an editor/contributor of several recently released short story collection IIRC, he goes to conventions, he blogs regularly, he has people making swords and busts and games and HBO is interested in making a series out of ASOIAF...

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would start a series and not finish it, but maybe that's just me. Sure he's taking a while. But it'll be out when it'll be out, and I'm not going to delude myself - I will be buying it.

Stop trying to interject reason into my emotional argument. I'm the READER!!! It's all about me, me, ME!!!! And I want my story now, now, NOW!!!!! In fact, I want it sooner than now. I want it yesterday.

Besides, 'a while' is how long I have to wait at a restaurant for food vs. McDonalds. GRRM has had 5 years and he is not a novice. No excuse IMHO.

I once picked up a book to read on a plane flight and rejoiced because it seemed to be a stand-alone fantasy novel. As I was reading it on the plane and getting more involved in the story, I started wondering how the author was going to wrap up all the plot threads so quickly until I turned the last page and hit the dreaded "TO BE CONTINUED". Of course, the second book hadn't been written yet. :rant:

What annoyed me was that nothing on the front cover indicated "book 1". If a book is part of a series, TELL ME so I can decide whether I want to invest the time in reading more than one book.

THis is a good point. Not only is he slow, but he's sneaky!!!

Mel...

Last edited:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
The Architect of Sleep

Cruel, cruel author got pissed at his publisher for screwing with his overall plan for the series and so, in his own words, "gave the baby poison to save it from the Nazis." There shan't be a sequel, and the story ends SO tantalizingly...! :cry:

--Q

Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo! Owoo!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.