• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Margret McBride Literary Agency

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see a thread about this agency.....does anyone know anything about them? There is a webpage and all seems fine....just wondered if anyone had ever actually dealt with them?

Thanks!

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
Here's what I discovered through Google.
Margret McBride Literary Agency: $ AAR A literary agency
http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealm.htm
An interesting piece of news that made my lips go "O" :-O
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20355534/
"Mike Huckabee, who has written five books, made $148,750 in book royalties from Margaret McBride Literary Agency last year."

As for queries & submissions...
http://www.mcbrideliterary.com/contacting_us.htm
"Please send all queries via U.S. mail to the attention of Michael Daley. Our office does not accept queries through e-mail. As a precaution, we only open e-mail from current and past clients."

Last edited:

charlys

new author
Registered
Reaction score
magret mcbride lit agency

I don't see a thread about this agency.....does anyone know anything about them? There is a webpage and all seems fine....just wondered if anyone had ever actually dealt with them?

Thanks!
I sent an e-mail query to Mike Daley in August and got a quick no a day later. Looks legit though.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I sent an e-mail query to Mike Daley in August and got a quick no a day later. Looks legit though.

Hi Charlys, how did you equery? Did you use the email on the website? They say they want snail mail, and they open email only from clients.... I sent a snail mail query months ago, but never got my SASE back. Has anybody heard back from them lately?

OK, follow up, two days later, in case it happens to somebody else: I used the email on the website to inquire about my snail mail query and they told me they had no record of it and they invited me to re-submit.

Last edited:

Man O' Bar

Man O' Bar
Registered
Reaction score
McBride Agency

Yes, I have dealt with them and I really feel they are on the up and up.
They don't mention payment and are brutally honest if you don't follow guidelines or send a bomb for them to read over.
No, I'm not successful yet, but am still plugging away at it.
Manuscripts must be snail mailed if I remember correctly, but I have contacted them by e-mail numerous times and always receive a reply.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Submission page now states:
"We are only accepting new clients by referral at this time."

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
Anyone have recent updates to share? It looks like they're open to queries (though Querytracker seems to think they're still closed). The first line on the submissions page is "Our Agency welcomes the opportunity to review your book ideas, and encourages you to submit a query letter to us via email ([email protected]) or snail-mail. "

I'm hoping to query Faye Atchison, the assistant agent, though I haven't found much about her. I know she's interested in SSF!

Verlin

Coattail Karma guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.verlindarrow.com
They asked for 50 pages back in February and turned me down about 6 weeks later. I aimed my query at Ms. McBride, but I don't know who actually read the pages. My ms is a quirky thriller. I hope this helps.

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
Well, I think I'll just send the query despite the lack of info on Faye. If she actually expresses interest, I'll ask some of those Professional Questions like "What have you sold?"

I don't really expect a response, since the looong list of client books on the agency website is full of nonfiction, and it sounds like Faye has other duties as well (assistant and all that). But hey, it's worth a shot. :)

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this agency? Faye Atchison in particular.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
*nudge* I, too, would love any updates...

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Queried March 16th, Rejection (form) April 29th. Text below.

Thank you for your interest in the Margret McBride Literary Agency.

We have reviewed the information regarding your project, and after careful consideration, we do not feel our agency is the right home for your project.

This online resource may be helpful to you as you seek the right agent for your project:
https://www.janefriedman.com/find-literary-agent/

We wish you every success in placing your work with an excellent publisher.

Regards,
The McBride Agency

Last edited:

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Patty. I was looking at their site, and it's almost entirely nonfiction (that I saw, at least) and so I'm a little confused that they say they want SFF. I don't see anything on the (free site version) of Publishers Marketplace, so I'm very curious if they're selling any SFF.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
If Faye is the assistant agent interested in SFF, she may just be starting out into repping that genre. Of course, that means it's a gamble going with her since she may not have the contacts needed to sell SFF (but then again she may have met some editor contacts doing her other agent work).

shen.git

Registered
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has any news here? Life has kept me from querying for a few years and I just saw that my Querytracker dashboard has some outstanding submissions... Initiated in 2018!

I did get a 50pg and then Full request from them, which I sent in spring of 2019. Followed up in September. December I got an email from Jimmy Callaway about how swamped they've been this past year, profuse apologies, is the MS still available? I said yes. Never heard back.

Lo, it's now May 2023 and I see QT has comments from 2022 about an entire year of 'Sorry, we're so swamped!' correspondence.

Continuously swamped since 2018, huh? šŸ˜œ

More worryingly the website looks very inactive. Not sure this one's operating fully...

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I were in your position, I'd withdraw the ms. from their consideration. We can't know what's going on behind their public face, but it's not something that gets you read, then represented or rejected in a reasonable amount of time.

Maryn, thinking implosion