PDA

View Full Version : What Games Do You Play? (Changed from "Computers ...")

Pages : [1] 2

Cath
04-09-2009, 03:41 AM
Okay, so PC games aside, what else do you play? Do any of you run D&D campaigns? Are you DM's in your spare time?

I'm mostly a PC gamer, but I have friends tempting me to join their D&D shenanigans. *watches writing time slipping away*

Clair Dickson
04-09-2009, 03:46 AM
Munchkin. (http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/cardgame/) :D

Oh, I also play the Pokemon TCG. =)

nahalwi
04-09-2009, 03:59 AM
I played MadGab at a party once when we were all drunk. That was SO much fun!

Zoombie
04-09-2009, 04:27 AM
WAAAAAAAAARHAMMERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

My ork army must smash, crush, and kill!

nahalwi
04-09-2009, 04:38 AM
http://www.gameslore.com/acatalog/APE0600SM.jpg

"Run, my pretty little chunks of XP! Run!" -Belkar Bitterleaf

For anyone who has not checked out Order of the Stick yet, it is AWESOME!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html

dclary
04-09-2009, 05:03 AM
Such an evil link. The first time I went to OOTS I think I read like.... 250 episodes before I got fired.

nahalwi
04-09-2009, 05:15 AM
"I think I just had an evilgasm." -Xykon

sunna
04-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Er....chess? :D

(God, I feel so boring now.)

Cath
04-09-2009, 05:20 AM
OK - then maybe turn this on it's head. If you play mostly computer games, then why? Why is that medium better, or more appealing than the real life version?

Is it something about the anonymity of the computer, perhaps? I think I would feel a bit odd sitting in a room with other folks rolling dice, but put me in front of a computer and it's more distant, more acceptable somehow.

nahalwi
04-09-2009, 05:34 AM
I think for me I enjoy all sorts of mediums. Computer games, console games, board games, card games...It really depends on my mood.

I think the thing with computers is you have the ability to play all sorts of games without taking up closet space. Like the Wii has developed, if you are having a party and want to break out the old 'board games' you can do it on the big screen t.v. without having the mess of it taking up space, or putting it away.

Also, with a lot of board games you have to have other people around to play it. Which, if you are working all day, get stuff taken care of, eat dinner, get kids to bed, a lot of people have nights to themselves but can't necessarily go anywhere, which opens up a reason to play computer games (or console) both multi-player and/or solo.

Personally, I don't really care that much about being anonymous with my gameplay. When I get on multi-player, I chat about whatever and get other people to chat about whatever, and a lot of times it's even led to long lasting friendships. I guess in a way the option is there though, if I don't feel like chatting, I just don't.

Phoebe H
04-09-2009, 08:57 AM
I really enjoy tabletop wargames. When I was about 10, I got my first SPI game (War of the Ring) which got me hooked on the "hundreds of tiny cardboard chit" games. I still like them, but it can be hard to find people to play with. My favorites are both Avalon Hill games: Dune ( the best 6 player game I've played) and Titan. (SPI's Swords & Sorcery is right up there, too.)

I used to GM a lot (GURPS is my favorite system, but I've also done a fair amount of D&D and Rolemaster) but that was mostly when I couldn't write. Now that I'm writing again, I don't GM, because that uses the same part of my brain.

Clair Dickson
04-09-2009, 09:05 AM
As stated before, the advantage of computer games is you don't have to gather anyone together. You can get on and play when and where you want to. And, for the anti-social, there's the added bonus of not having to deal with anyone if you so choose.

jst5150
04-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Have played or am playing ...

Warhammer 40K (not much right now).
Shadowrun (the Xbox version stunk).
Rifts (was CCO of a company that worked on the initial stages of building a Rifts MMORPG; spoke to Kevin Siembieda several times ... cool!)
D&D (built three great campaigns that last two years on a little island in the azores)
Battlefleet Gothic.Have tried GURPS, Formula De, and others. Warhammer Fantasy as well.

clockwork
04-10-2009, 02:53 AM
My faves, old and new;

Grand Theft auto series
Command & Conquer series (prefer the older stuff)
Max Payne
SWAT
Flight Simulator series
Hitman Series
Silent Hill
Splinter Cell: Double Agent (didn't love the other but the last level of DA is joyous)
Rainbow Six: Vegas

And looking over that list, aside from FS which is another world entirely, I'd say the one thing linking my faves together are good story. That's the biggest draw for me and if it's flat, it doesn't work. That's why I didn't love F.E.A.R. and Doom 3. Both were gorgeous and very absorbing but relentless with the shooting. You need a break to truly appreciate the frenzied action.

VMMV

D'oh! forgot Resident Evil et al. Loved those in the Playstation days.

SPMiller
04-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Have played or am playing ...
Warhammer 40K (not much right now).
Shadowrun (the Xbox version stunk).
Rifts (was CCO of a company that worked on the initial stages of building a Rifts MMORPG; spoke to Kevin Siembieda several times ... cool!)
D&D (built three great campaigns that last two years on a little island in the azores)
Battlefleet Gothic.Have tried GURPS, Formula De, and others. Warhammer Fantasy as well.Have you tried Dark Heresy?

DragonHeart
04-16-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm mainly a console/PC gamer. Used to play a couple of TCGs in school (Magic and Pokemon...what? ) and I've participated in a D&D game or two (via chat room...kind of neat actually).

I play mostly RPGs and action/adventure/insert subgenre here. I tend not to stray very far from what I know I like so I haven't played much outside those genres, aside from the odd racing or fighting game.

I have a PS3, so if anyone wants to add me let me know and I'll give you my PSN ID. :) I do have access to a Wii, I just don't have any games for it since I don't really use it at all. It's mainly my mom's heh. I do have a DS though and I will be getting a PSP when Final Fantasy Dissidia comes out.

Memnon624
04-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Have you tried Dark Heresy?

Dark Heresy is awesome, though I'm not overly enthusiastic about the Warhammer FRP-type rules. We've house-ruled a d20 version of it.

I also play a goodly bit of old school D&D, a little D&D 4th Edition, the Conan RPG (Atlantean edition), some Call of Cthulhu and Arkham Horror, and I'm looking to run a campaign set in ancient Greece (either during the Persian Wars or the Peloponnesian War) using d20.

Oh yeah, I also play Xbox 360.

Best,

Scott

SPMiller
04-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, when I played Dark Heresy, I had to house-rule it thoroughly. Was fun, though. Combat was fast enough that we could focus on story. I thrive in Dystopic settings. Roleplaying a religious fanatic feels disturbingly comfortable to me...

dnic
05-28-2009, 04:10 AM
I dabble mostly in MMORPGs:
WoW (I know. I'm sooo sphecial!)
RO (Waaay back when).

And um...sort of miscellaneous?
GB (Old school).

I haven't done tabletops...on the table. I have done GURPS over the net before...and you cannot pay me enough to run a campaign.

Order of the Stick is awesome...I need to catch up.

Relik7
06-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Final Fantasy 7+CC DoC, 8 & 10. Shadow Hearts. Legend of Dragoon. So many other RPG's I can't even think of them all (= not very memorable).

God help me I'll always love Spyro.

Tables were all GM inventions loosely based on a Sci.Fi. system.

and...uh yeah chess too, and scrabble but....

BigWords
06-08-2009, 06:57 PM
The original X-Box - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas; Thief: Deadly Shadows (the Cradle segment); Predator: Concrete Jungle; Fable; XIII (guilty pleasure).
Xbox360 - Crackdown; GTA IV; Saints Row; The Darkness; Gun (best western in a while).
PC - Far Cry; Half Life 2; Knights Of The Old Republic; Aliens Versus Predator (the old one); Rise Of Nations.

If there is any one release that I would have to point to as being influential in overall style, quality, replayability and enjoyment, it would have to be GTA III on the PC. The mods alone were genius - some bedroom coder did up a Batmobile within the first few months of the game being released. It was the only car I drove for days.

other games - Cluedo, chess, mahjong, poker, Monopoly and Risk.

Just nobody mention Hellboy: Asylum Seeker, then we can all get along.

cryaegm
04-09-2010, 08:21 AM
I play on the GC, PSP, PS2, DS, along with having GBA and GBC games.

Right now, for the PS2 I'm playing Okami. Then I'll be going back to FFXII. I really want to playing FFXIII, though, but I don't have a PS3 or a Xbox 360. :(

I'm not much of a gaming person like board games. :P I'm more into the video games.

MGraybosch
05-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Demon's Souls for the PS3. It's awesome. (http://www.matthewgraybosch.us/2010/05/11/there-should-be-more-games-like-demons-souls/)

Mara
05-24-2010, 04:12 AM
Ooh, another old thread. :)

I play a lot of video games, but like tabletop RPGs more. (I spent a LOT of time working on TRPG stuff and run games two nights a week. I've got a few very minor acknowledgements in some published RPGs, too.)

Not much for board games, but I'll play Arkham Horror every now and again.

Fame<Infamy
07-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Lately I have been playing a lot of Pathfinder and D&D and I still play the occasional video game. Though most of the time I just mess around. Last serious things I played were Mirror's Edge and MGS4.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
07-22-2010, 03:09 AM
Played Sega for years (go Sonic!), then moved to random PC games. Got into Ultima Online for a bit, but got bored as hell when an invasion got out of hand (it gets boring when it goes on for months on end) and quit. A year later I got into World of Warcraft, got a PS2 a couple years ago and play DoC, The Simpsons Hit and Run and a couple others on there. WoW's my main love though, I like the flexibility. If you want to quest with people you can. If you want to quest alone you can.

Maxx
07-22-2010, 05:59 PM
OK - then maybe turn this on it's head. If you play mostly computer games, then why? Why is that medium better, or more appealing than the real life version?

Is it something about the anonymity of the computer, perhaps? I think I would feel a bit odd sitting in a room with other folks rolling dice, but put me in front of a computer and it's more distant, more acceptable somehow.

I played dicey games with lots of people for a long time, but the fun of a computer game is the immersive world it provides.

I just set up a multiplayer game in Operation Arrowhead/ARMA2/Combined Arms last night, and due to the atmospheric settings I used I was very surprised to see a rainbow over my springtime central asian valley. I didn't explicitly put the rainbow there, but the game world engine recognized that there should be one there and it put it in. Then of course all hell broke loose and somebody blew up the ZSU-23 AA truck and oily smoke rose while secondary explosions echoed over the valley. One of the lads started screaming for a medic and I hurried off to stop the enemy from doing more damage.

If you play games with large open worlds such as exist in the ARMA series, your'e in for an experience that is very different from any other type of game. And if you use the editors and mission builders and terrain creators, you can build your own versions of these worlds.

http://www.arma2.com/arma-2-oa_en.html

Freelancer
08-06-2010, 06:20 AM
I've just finished Homeworld and started Homeworld: Cataclysm (And after that Homeworld 2 comes. :) ). These are old games, but they're hard (Sometimes very hard, while I'm not a rookie player at all.). HW has a very good storyline, excellent music and voice acting, very good atmosphere and many memorable missions and moments (Even one the most heartbreaking moments in gaming history is also in HW1.). So this 11 years old game has everything what the present games with their shiny graphics can't offer at all. Unlike in C&C3 and other low-IQ childish RTS games, in HW you must use your mind if you want to prevail.

TheMindKiller
08-27-2010, 05:35 AM
Right now I'm exclusively playing Starcraft 2 (even though it's broken on my system)

I'm also a big Xbox 360 fan. Everything from Halo to Alan Wake to, more recently, Red Dead Redemption. I actually beat Red Dead Redemption to 100% in 5 days. (I was deployed at the time)

For my PS3, I have inFamous, God of War 3, Demon's Souls (amazing game for the lack of attention it got) and Uncharted 2. Haven't beaten any of them.

Fame<Infamy
08-27-2010, 06:13 AM
Demon Souls is just too hard and complex.

Shining_Garnet
09-08-2010, 03:23 AM
I'm mostly a console and handheld gamer, but I like board games too.

mathew1204
09-14-2010, 01:11 PM
PC games aside I play basketball baseball and ice hockey enjoy it quite a bit at the office.

Ratiekae
09-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Video, mostly. I'll play almost anything on a console, but I try to stay away from FPS and war games, the Metroid: Primes being the only exception. :guns:

I love me some Zelda and Mario too, and will, on occasion, dig out the old Sega Genesis and play old school Sonic, Spiderman and the X-Men, Madden and MLB 1994, and other childhood memory games.

My favorite Genesis game hands down is Shining Force II. That was the game of my childhood. I think it's the reason I like the names Sarah and Peter so much, why I'm not the biggest fan of the name Luke, and why I hate chess. Well, other than the fact that I'm terrible at it, but that chess battle was traumatic! Almost as bad as the Kraken battle. I knew all the nuances, the secret characters and items, and above all I knew not to promote Sarah or Kazin until I got to the secret village of the elves and get them their vigor ball and secret book. I want my Master Monk and Sorcerer, dang it! :mob

I have no idea if anyone here knows what I'm talking about, but I seriously love that game, and I could talk about it forever. I still find myself walking around humming the over world theme, and wishing I had the music so I could learn the epic flute trills and runs.

My other supreme video game addiction: Tales of Symphonia. I could not tell you how many times I've played through that game. The time that goes into one play-through is 20 hours, minimum. It can get as high as 80 hours with side-quests and character specialization.

I love my Gamecube, and will murder anyone who looks at it wrong. :e2fight: Unless they're here to give me a Wii to replace it. Then I could forgive them.

I regret none of this.

KodyBoye
11-03-2010, 04:20 AM
I've been playing Aliens vs. Predator 3. Beat the Alien campaign recently, though I can't play the Alien without getting a headache (and I DO NOT get motion sickness from games, which is even more surprising.) I also recently purchased Bloody Good Time and like the quirkiness of it.

Ksenyc
11-03-2010, 08:05 AM
I've been playing Aliens vs. Predator 3. Beat the Alien campaign recently, though I can't play the Alien without getting a headache (and I DO NOT get motion sickness from games, which is even more surprising.) I also recently purchased Bloody Good Time and like the quirkiness of it.

I played Aliens vs. Predator (the first one) a few months ago for nostalgia... game still holds up against its successors I think. I especially like the marine campaign. Very moody, very atmospheric. Kinda like how Silent Hill is still a horrifying game.

Other than revisiting games of my past, I'm a frequent L4D1/2 player and I can't stop playing those crappy little indie games you can only download on forums.

Eudoxia
11-13-2010, 10:32 AM
I've been obsessed with D&D these past few days. I'm a major RPG fan as well as FPS. Killing Floor and L4D2 are probably the other games that I play the most.

darkangel77
11-18-2010, 07:09 AM
I played and plan to play everything that's made by Blizzard Entertainment and Bioware. Right now I'm playing World of Warcraft, of course, and doing my third replay of Dragon Age Origins after about an 8 month break.

Then again, the more I play games, the less I write, so...maybe I should cut down on my game playing for awhile xD

Hooper
11-25-2010, 12:48 AM
I must admit that Im 37 and play D&D on Sunday evenings in the conference room of my office. That way we dont wake my 2 year old twins when things are getting a little out of hand.

You would be surprised at how many really good book ideas can come from a well prepared D&D session

Thedrellum
12-13-2010, 09:06 PM
I must second the fact that the <em>Homeworld</em> games are awesome and probably pretty cheap to find. They have a wonderful story and, as already said, a sense of strategy that's more... eh, realistic?... than most RTSs.

Currently, I'm playing <em>Oblivion</em> and love open-ended role-playing games, especially ones that actually give you a chance to role-play instead of following a pre-ordained script.

AndreF
01-07-2011, 01:44 AM
I play combat flight sims. There is nothing like being in the air with hundreds of problems going on at the same time. You want to talk about strategy a combat flight sim has it. You got think and move fast.

However I do like the Homeworld series and Act of War, Starcraft, and Civilizatoins series too. My current RPG is Fallout 3

Darke
02-03-2011, 05:33 AM
I'm stuck on Fable 3, Black Ops Zombies, and Sims 3.

A girl needs something to wind down from a day of writing.

Harry Douthwaite
02-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Currently, I play Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City - mainly for the pleasure of driving vehicles, but also for the boyish passion for guns and MONEY.
On the other hand, my main forte is transportation games - a really old one named "Transport Tycoon Deluxe" has got a new lease on life with a free spin-off named "OpenTTD", which is extremely addictive if you like trains speeding across the landscape making £££'s.
I'm also playing a game on facebook called "Lucky Train". Like TTD, this game is on a somewhat smaller scale, focusing on a small local area rather than a large map.

Other times I also enjoy playing Age of Empires II and the Roller Coaster Tycoon series, and rarely I play Call of Duty/Medal of Honor games.

LOG
02-21-2011, 01:45 AM
RPGs of all kind (although I dislike turn-based the most).
FPS and RTS when I feel like.
Not much else really..

Ludicrum
02-28-2011, 06:09 AM
I love games. My username is the Latin word for game. Here's the stuff I play:

Console Games (Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii, OnLive Microconsole)
PC (Steam, OnLive)
Handheld (Nintendo DS Lite)
Yu-Gi-Oh TCG (Light-Attribute Warrior/Fairy Deck)

I WOULD play Dungeons and Dragons or some other tabletop game (I'm curious to try one of the World of Darkness games) but I don't have any friends who are into that sort of thing like I am.

AngelRoseDarke
02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
I am mainly a World of Warcraft player. I can be found on the Skywall server as Strykerius or Gothika if anyone in on Skywall and wants to group up for something.

Other games I enjoy:

the Tomb Raider games (I love Laura Croft)
the Resident Evil series
the Silent Hill games
Legends of the Dragoon
Doom (I know, old school LOL)
Black Ops (PS3)
the God of War games
D&D (used to play but not so much anymore)
Vampire the Masquerade (again, not so much anymore)

L_N
03-16-2011, 05:16 AM
I recently played Settlers of Catan, but I'd REALLY like to get back into playing D&D, and maybe Vampire the Masquerade.

Though, I never want to play WoW ever again. That game owns my soul.

Maxinquaye
03-16-2011, 08:19 PM
World of Darkness MMO is supposed to premiere in a year's time or so. It will be released by CCP that makes Eve Online. They own the IP of World of Darkness, and they're busy developing that.

My MMO of choice is Eve Online, and they're incorporating the WoD-tech into Eve at the moment.

-Epic-
03-22-2011, 03:52 AM
I have a Wii, GameCube, and PS2. My brother recently moved out and took my old DS Lite and his XBox 360 with him, but otherwise I play loads of games on all those systems.

Alessandra Kelley
03-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm a first-gen girl gaming geek. I started with D&D (well, technically AD&D) almost thirty years ago. I have played and/or run campaigns in Runequest, Champions, Bushido, Toon, Chivalry and Sorcery, Hackmaster, Rolemaster, Amber, Doctor Who (the old version), Paranoia, Teenagers from Outer Space, GURPs, Ars Magica and god knows what else.

Standard rpgs, however, are the least of it. Mostly the group I game with has played homebrewed roleplaying games. We have invented and tweaked lots of systems, preferring them to prefab adventures. It's hard to describe our roleplaying games, because they go in so many weird, metaphorical directions. We use a lot of them to explore in an interactive way the various philosophical matters we are dealing with ... which I guess makes them sound less fun than they actually are. We did recently have a campaign with a classic party of assorted fantasy archetypes roaming a landscape, plundering dungeons and fighting dragons, but the underlying reality was way more bizarre than that.

We also have played lots of tabletop games and card games over the years, including a seriously modded and homebrewed version of "Talisman" (which in its original form is kind of icky and one-dimensional -- it's based on Warhammer), Phil and Kaja Foglio's "The Works", "Munchkin" (all variations) and lots of others.

PS: I should probably point out that I'm not a writer, but an artist.

jacquelynsmith
03-29-2011, 10:46 PM
I like to kick it old-school with PC RPG's (mostly DOS-based):

Sierra games (Quest for Glory, King's Quest, etc.)
Westwood games (Lands of Lore, Legends of Kyrandia)
Civilization (I only have Call to Power)
Myst series

I'd have to say my favorite board game is Cranium.

Strychnine
04-01-2011, 04:59 AM
At the moment I'm really into "Dominion" which is a card game.

Usually I play computer games, specifically things like Half Life or Portal (i.e. Valve everything!) but also more...fun/cute games like World of Goo and PvZ. I play WoW also, but have had to cancel my account while I write my dissertation >.< it is for the best...

As for console, I have a PS2 and 3, I like Japanese games, right now: BlazBlu and Eternal Sonata. Also...Kingdom Hearts!

Alessandra Kelley
04-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Ohhhhh yes ...

I have played computer games, too, I now recall. I played "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and "A Mind Forever Voyaging" (which I loved). They were -- get this -- text-only games, without a single graphic. And they were fun.

Gravity's Rainbow
04-20-2011, 01:34 AM
Board games of almost any kind.
My current favorites are Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, Zooloretto and Last Night on Earth

For video games I generally stick to RPG's (think classic Final Fantasy) and Minecraft

L_N
04-20-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm so into Mass Effect 2 right now, but I can't bring myself to finish it. I feel like the adventure will be over if I complete the game...

Rhoda Nightingale
04-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Popping in here because I just now realized this section existed.

I have played: Shivers (waaaay, way old by now--some of those puzzles I had to make my dad solve for me, with his engineering brain)

Terminal Velocity (you can totally blow up the trees as well as enemy planes!)

Journeyman (impossible without a strategy guide--work to fun ratio too high)

Megarace (bloody awesome--I miss it)

The Seventh Guest (cool, but also too high on the work to fun ratio--that bishop puzzle is sadistic)

D&D (only a couple times, it was okay, too many frickin' dice)

Mortal Kombat / Tekken / Conker's Bad Fur Day (all from my senior year of high school, which I (mis)spent almost ENTIRELY in the student lounge)

I have watched (i.e. with friends, or via YouTube), but not played:

Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and Origins

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Windwaker

Limbo

Deadly Premonition

...and God help me, I've just discovered Final Fantasy 7.

(I say 'watched' because controllers annoy me, outside of the PC arena, and I play games more for the story than for the gameplay.)

Kitty27
04-21-2011, 01:48 AM
I played Madden with my nine year old son. He beat me 46-3. I think he let me kick a field goal out of pity.

I played Call Of Duty with my eighteen year old son. I merc'd everybody in sight. GREAT stress reliever because I kept seeing my boss's face.

I used to be a WOW fiend. I had a serious problem. I am still in recovery.

authorgirl1485
04-21-2011, 03:10 AM
Lol. My friends are really into D&D. I could never really get into it myself, which is strange because of my overactive imagination. I really like the Final Fantasy series. I also like Shadow Hearts, (not Kingdom Hearts) Xenosaga, Legend of Dragoon, and Legend of Heroes.

Rhoda Nightingale
04-21-2011, 03:32 AM
Oh--and of course, Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. (How could I forget those?)

And if we're counting board games: Dark Tower. I loved that game so much.

Underthelivingmoon
05-01-2011, 03:24 AM
I used to play 'Vampire: The Masquerade' but the group I was in was a little too into it. I'm pretty sure that the Master wanted to drain me- lol.

In regards to board games, my favorites are Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, and chess. For video games I'm old school- Mario Bros. 1 and 3, Dark Cloud, Arkanoid, Jeopardy, and Kingdom Hearts. Oh, and of course, Mortal Kombat.

Arcadia Divine
06-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I usually play turn based or tactical RPGs (sorry to bump an old thread)

Feral_Sophisticate
06-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Okay, so PC games aside, what else do you play? Do any of you run D&D campaigns? Are you DM's in your spare time?

Munchkin. (http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/cardgame/) :D

I really enjoy tabletop wargames.

Rather than reply individually, I'll lump ya all together, and add my two cents at the end. :)

I used to GM a lot (GURPS is my favorite system, but I've also done a fair amount of D&D and Rolemaster) but that was mostly when I couldn't write. Now that I'm writing again, I don't GM, because that uses the same part of my brain.

Lately I have been playing a lot of Pathfinder and D&D

I played Aliens vs. Predator (the first one) a few months ago for nostalgia... game still holds up against its successors I think. I especially like the marine campaign. Very moody, very atmospheric. Kinda like how Silent Hill is still a horrifying game.

I've been obsessed with D&D these past few days.

D&D (used to play but not so much anymore)
Vampire the Masquerade (again, not so much anymore)

I'd REALLY like to get back into playing D&D, and maybe Vampire the Masquerade.

I'm a first-gen girl gaming geek. I started with D&D (well, technically AD&D) almost thirty years ago. I have played and/or run campaigns in Runequest, Champions, Bushido, Toon, Chivalry and Sorcery, Hackmaster, Rolemaster, Amber, Doctor Who (the old version), Paranoia, Teenagers from Outer Space, GURPs, Ars Magica and god knows what else.

I used to play 'Vampire: The Masquerade' but the group I was in was a little too into it. I'm pretty sure that the Master wanted to drain me- lol.

Computer games:
Unreal Tournament (the original, GOTY edition)
SWAT3 and SWAT4 (a FPS that penalizes you for killing? Makes you think far more carefully about what you shoot at)
Alien vs Predator 2 (I got vertigo the first time I played as the alien - but loved it)
Fallout 1 and 2
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

Tabletop games:
various wargames by SPI, Avalon Hill and Victory Games (like, for example, the "Fleet" series by Victory Games, the "Squad Leader" series by Avalon Hill and "A Mighty Fortress" by SPI - to name just a few)
newer wargames by Decision Games, L2 Design Group, Clash of Arms and Multiman Publishing)
various versions of D&D, starting with BECMI (Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortals), and ending with 2nd Edition AD&D. Have never been a fan of 3.x D&D
Pathfinder - yeah, I don't like 3.0/3.5e D&D, but I like Pathfinder. Go figure.
All Flesh Must Be Eaten - zombies? I'm so there
Vampire: The Masquerade - I played it when it first came out, loved it, then got out of it when my kids were born. They're older now, and I'm back in the game
Warhammer Fantasy (the original one)
Twilight: 2000 (2nd edition)

Her Dark Star
06-20-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm so into Mass Effect 2 right now, but I can't bring myself to finish it. I feel like the adventure will be over if I complete the game...

I can so understand that, hadn't played the games before but recently played ME, and just finished ME2 yesterday. I was also reluctant to launch the final mission as I didn't want it to end but it's so worth it. Plus for you're reassurance if you survive the final mission you can keep playing to finish up anything you missed or import your character to start a new game and go through it all over again but with bonuses....

Rented them both but just ordered them as I think I'll replay the pair a couple of times and set me up for when the third comes out :-)

For those who aren't familiar, SF rpg/shooter. Definitely has it's flaws but both excellent games with some great storytelling.

Scotthard
06-21-2011, 10:24 AM
I have played,
GTA vice city and Liberty City
True Crime
Max Payne Series
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aMZVBS7BR9w/SHYC6CxJTkI/AAAAAAAAAAM/wT8hPypXSko/s400/Max+Payne.PNG

Desirai
06-28-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm mostly a PC gamer. I play FFXI, FFXIV, The Sims 3, Spore, Black and White 2, Simcity, and tons of facebook/online games.

On console, I play the fable series. I carry my NDS with me everywhere and I my favorites are the pokemon games, shin megami tensei, harvest moon, dragon quest/dragon warrior, and various other games.

DionS.
07-21-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to gaming, a side effect from a lifetime of ADHD. I love FPSs, RTSs, and RPGs on 360, PS3, and Wii. I've got six computers in my house but the only thing I mess with there is the occasional WoW romp with my wife. We both have lvl 85 ice mages so we love terrorizing the world

PrincessofPersia
07-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Not a real avid gamer. I'm a huuuuuuuuge Portal fan though. My favourite game of all time, and I'm saving up for Portal 2. I also like Fallout 3 and Prince of Persia: SOT.

SamBeasley
07-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Anybody ever play the Everway RPG? I used to play that for a while. Loved it. Tried a little D&D but there was too much math involved for me.

Tried a bunch of the collectible card games for a while, but ended up (like most, I would assume) on Magic: The Gathering.

I'm a little behind video-game-wise, but Dead Rising 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum I obsessed over for a while. :) Pretty much now video games are the extent of my gaming.

Velcro
08-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Talk about blast from the past. I used to play D&D like it was going out of style but alas not anymore. I was huge into Dragonlance, Shadowrun, Star Wars, Vampire: The Masquerade that is until I discovered girls...

I miss my roleplaying days. :cry:

Feral_Sophisticate
09-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Lately, I've been playing a freeware space/action game called "Transcendence"... Very reminiscent of "Escape Velocity" (for the Mac-heads out there that remember it), but better in a lot of ways. It's customizable, and offers a lot of replay potential.

Death is permanent in the game (unless you buy insurance), and you can't just ALT+F4 out of the game if you get frustrated (as that will save the game before you exit).

I died tonight, but the insurance I bought (at no small cost) saved my bacon. I'm totally hooked... :D

SPMiller
09-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Recently, game night with the guys (I wish they'd let their girlfriends/wives in on it, too, but there seems to be an unspoken guys-only rule) has included:

- the D&D Ashardalon board game (last time, we pulled the dragon on the first round),
- Magic: the Gathering (both Commander and standard-legal decks),
- the Bang! card game (in Italian for extra amusement),
- and a variety of board games I can't even remember the names of.

Where video games are concerned, we've continued to play League of Legends, and my feelings about its community continue to be mixed at best.

I'm hoping to get another game of Space Hulk in before too long.

BPRFilmz
10-18-2011, 08:53 AM
I play on both computer and console. I also play board games and card games.

I like different types of genres, RTS (Total Annihilation, Starcraft), FPS (Halo, Left 4 Dead, Star Wars Battlefront), RPG (Final Fantasy, Legend of Legaia, Legaia 2, Kingdom Hearts). I like some games from other genres too, but genres previously mentioned are what I mainly like.

Recently I have been trying to switch as much as I can to computer gaming, and downloads, no discs. It helps that I recently bought a new computer that can handle gaming. I still do console gaming though, Xbox 360, PS3. Some games aren't for computers, like Final Fantasy and Halo.

I haven't played as many board games recently, but some other guys and I like to get together and play them now and then. We like games like D&D, Ascension, and others, can't remember the names.

Card games, basically just Magic: the Gathering.

Feral_Sophisticate
10-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Recently, game night with the guys (I wish they'd let their girlfriends/wives in on it, too, but there seems to be an unspoken guys-only rule)

That's unfortunate, and rather sad - unless that game night is the only night that the group can get together, which would at least make a little more sense...

Personally, I'd love it if my girlfriend could game with me. We limit our list of participants to people who that we get along with.

She can't game because she's got twin 3 year old boys. Free time is a rare commodity for her, and we make the most of it by spending time together whenever we can.

Andain
11-09-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm a gamer. Started out years ago with the FF series. Now I mostly play computer games, but every now and then I find a PS3 game I enjoy. Love RPGs the most, and the occasional action/strategy game.

I have a weak spot for MMORPGs. First played Ragnarok Online eons ago, oh, and Diablo II online. Then moved to WoW. Now I'm playing RIFT, LotRO, and eagerly anticipating SWTOR.

Oh, and ME2. Finally got around to it. <3

Tiberium Tleilaxu
12-18-2011, 02:59 AM
Warhammer 40,000. Not played it in ages though.

cara
12-18-2011, 10:07 PM
I tend to play rpgs, action/adventure, FPS and tactical alot, but also horror, point and click and such. At the moment I'm re-playing pokemon heartgold, but hopefully getting persona 3 on the psp for xmas!

Anjasa
12-28-2011, 01:19 AM
A few friends online started a D&D campaign, which I really enjoyed, but no one wanted to DM after a few games. Apparently DMing for three drow and a human kind of sucks more than just regular DMing.

I'd love to get involved in another game at some point though.

Nephytis
01-13-2012, 12:40 AM
the games that i play... it's a very long list; i'm not going to lie.

current online games--
WOW, horde firetree Nephytis. I have two accounts, my main i keep active always. I've been playing Wow since original beta.
SW: TOR, republic The Deadweight, Nephytis. just started in december.
I have an Aion and LOTRO account but they're disabled currently.

PC--
King's Quest 1-7, black and white, battle realms, civilization 1-4, colonization, zeus, pharoah, outpost, caesar, cyberstorm, earthsiege, the sims 1 and 2 with xpacs, warcraft 1-3 with xpacs, starcraft 1-2, diablo 1-2, shivers 1-2, chips challange, doom 1-2, hexen, heretic, rise of the triads, dungeons and dragons, everquest, guild wars, math blaster, dx ball, shape shifter, collapse, bewjewled, zuma, rocket mania, (this brain puzzle game can't remember the name), hover, mah jong solitare, lord of the rings online, aion, ....

xbox 360--

ffxiii, halo 3, fable 2-3, dragon age 1-2 including origins, assassin's creed 1-2 with xpacs, lego anything, DDR 3, dance evolution, just dance 3, oblivion, elder scrolls, doom 2, sonic the hedgehog, bayonetta, devil may cry 3 or 4(?),

game gear--

sonic the hedgehog, battletoads, lion king.... (Worst game handheld ever)

Wii--

DDR 1-3, lego star wars, super mario bros., simpsons, zelda

n64--

donkey kong, zelda, conker's bad fur day, goldeneye, NHL, pokemon snap

facebook games--(no longer play)

farmville, frontierville, zynga's city and allies one.. tried the cafe and yoville,

board games:

i'm not going there. i love them.

TCG: only have wow cards.

there's a bunch of other games i own but are not listed here. i only wrote down the ones i could remember off the top of my head. =)

norunner
01-14-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm mainly a PC gamer,but sometimes i play on psp do you. I am now playing online games (http://anyonlinegames.com)such as Brick Force (http://www.dotmmo.com/brick-force-6238.html), War of Thrones (http://www.dotmmo.com/war-of-thrones-6190.html)

Swannington
02-08-2012, 05:51 AM
I'm mainly a console gamer. I stick to RPGs and action/adventure games. I never play sports or racing games, they just don't do anything for me. I love a good story.

urrutiap
05-23-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm still an old school gamer. I still play the Atari 2600, NES, my SNES console, Playstation, Gamecube, GBA SP,and the PSP.

I'm not impressed with the fancy schmancy PS3 and the Xbox 1 or 2.

I just prefer playing the older videogames

dclary
05-24-2012, 02:11 AM
League of Legends, baby!

http://hardhobbittobreak.com/?p=189

Himmie
06-07-2012, 05:45 AM
I mainly play the Assassin's Creed series because I fell in love with them. I sometimes play Halo, Gears of Wars, F.E.A.R, Batman, anything with action. I love shooter games.

I used to play D&D when my dad was a DM. I haven't played in a while; his new wife's daughter is having a baby soon so he's been busy with that. Hopefully I'll be able to play that again soon.

I used to play Runescape, but now I don't play any computer games.

To those who play WoW, is it any good? I have a friend who lives at her computer playing that game.

Feral_Sophisticate
06-08-2012, 09:22 AM
To those who play WoW, is it any good? I have a friend who lives at her computer playing that game.

It's not bad, and the social aspects can be a hell of a lot of fun. Yes, it can be addictive, especially for those who have poor real-life socialization skills.

I play it, when I have time, which translates into an hour or two, once or twice a week. On my days off, I might devote twice that amount of time, but that's about it.

Yes, there are people who spend way too much time playing it. Thankfully, I'm usually too busy to fall into that particular trap.

BigWords
06-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Most of the horror stories about WOW aren't actually about that game - the one tale about a Korean kid who stayed up for (I think) two days and died of a heart attack was another thing entirely. The media have managed to turn every MMO into WOW for the sake of ease.

It is fun, but hardly the best of the MMOs (which people will be arguing over for decades, I am certain), though you really do need to go through a lot of boredom to get to the really entertaining stuff.

Feral_Sophisticate
06-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Most of the horror stories about WOW aren't actually about that game - the one tale about a Korean kid who stayed up for (I think) two days and died of a heart attack was another thing entirely. The media have managed to turn every MMO into WOW for the sake of ease.

True... EverCrack was probably more prone to abuse than WoW ever was. WoW just has the mass exposure that makes it an easy target - just like D&D did in the 80s.

It is fun, but hardly the best of the MMOs (which people will be arguing over for decades, I am certain), though you really do need to go through a lot of boredom to get to the really entertaining stuff.

Totally true. Once you get to be high enough level to participate in raids, the game gets to be a whole lot more fun. The grinding isn't as much fun, unless you've got a specific goal in mind. It took me a week to get to level fifteen, because I spent my gaming time during that week working on getting my skills up, so I could make my own gear. I'm a cheap bastard, and figured I would rather take the time to make my own stuff, than to buy it at a merchant, or take a chance that I'd find it on my own (always a gamble).

Besides, this way, I can sell what I make on the Auction Hall, and make some decent coin doing it. My first toon (and main) is only level 26, and he's got well over 100 gold on his person, plus nearly double that in pending AH transactions.

dclary
06-08-2012, 07:10 PM
True... EverCrack was probably more prone to abuse than WoW ever was. WoW just has the mass exposure that makes it an easy target - just like D&D did in the 80s.

Totally true. Once you get to be high enough level to participate in raids, the game gets to be a whole lot more fun. The grinding isn't as much fun, unless you've got a specific goal in mind. It took me a week to get to level fifteen, because I spent my gaming time during that week working on getting my skills up, so I could make my own gear. I'm a cheap bastard, and figured I would rather take the time to make my own stuff, than to buy it at a merchant, or take a chance that I'd find it on my own (always a gamble).

Besides, this way, I can sell what I make on the Auction Hall, and make some decent coin doing it. My first toon (and main) is only level 26, and he's got well over 100 gold on his person, plus nearly double that in pending AH transactions.

That's actually a lot of why EQ was (and always will be, in my memory) a better, more addictive, more enjoyable playing experience through-and-through than WOW.

With EQ, everything was new. They were (with AC and DoC) setting the rules and establishing the memes as they went. With the exception of the few people playing the beta, not only was all of the gameplay fresh, new, and exciting, but we were pioneers. I belonged to a guild whose sole purpose was to help people get across the continent -- because it was too dangerous to do it alone, and there were no reliable maps anywhere, if you'd never done it before.

In my mind, things like Allakhazam's and Wiki have ruined CRPGs. You walk into the game knowing every twist, every turn, the stats of every piece of equipment in the game. As stated above, people feel the game isn't any fun until you get to the top, because they already know everything that's going to happen to them until they get there.

With EQ the entire game was a process of discovery.

I sincerely miss the hundreds of hours I lost playing that game. But not for one second do I regret the time I spent in Norrath.

Mharvey
06-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Agreed. Evercrack was great. My only regret was getting seduced by it when I was 16. I could have been playing sports, socializing... instead I was in Norrath, giving out SOTW for ridiculous amounts of money, transporting people from place to place.

It was empowering for a geek like I was, to know that guys in their 20s, 30s and 40s were happy to see me log on, because I played a Druid and not only could fill a healer role, but transport us to exciting places and what-have-you.

Plus, it was actually very hard to level... so your server rep really meant a lot. You were sort of accountable for your actions. If you got people killed with stupidity enough times, especially at higher level, it would get out and you would not be able to progress unless you were one of the few classes that could solo efficiently. I miss that sort of accountability. It added a level of immersion to play - a sort of risk that kept you on your toes. In games like WoW, there's no stakes. Forget the fact it's just plain easier, if you're using the dungeon tool, you're never grouping with the same people again... so who cares if you screw up?

Feral_Sophisticate
06-08-2012, 07:39 PM
In my mind, things like Allakhazam's and Wiki have ruined CRPGs. You walk into the game knowing every twist, every turn, the stats of every piece of equipment in the game. As stated above, people feel the game isn't any fun until you get to the top, because they already know everything that's going to happen to them until they get there.

That's generally true, yes... But then you get people like me who ENJOY the discoveries and what not, and don't use wiki sites. I like the mystery. I keep getting people telling me to use WoWHead, and I keep telling them that I paid to enjoy this game. Using sites like that kind of defeats the purpose (to me, it's tantamount to cheating).

dclary
06-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Agreed. Evercrack was great. My only regret was getting seduced by it when I was 16. I could have been playing sports, socializing... instead I was in Norrath, giving out SOTW for ridiculous amounts of money, transporting people from place to place.

It was empowering for a geek like I was, to know that guys in their 20s, 30s and 40s were happy to see me log on, because I played a Druid and not only could fill a healer role, but transport us to exciting places and what-have-you.

Plus, it was actually very hard to level... so your server rep really meant a lot. You were sort of accountable for your actions. If you got people killed with stupidity enough times, especially at higher level, it would get out and you would not be able to progress unless you were one of the few classes that could solo efficiently. I miss that sort of accountability. It added a level of immersion to play - a sort of risk that kept you on your toes. In games like WoW, there's no stakes. Forget the fact it's just plain easier, if you're using the dungeon tool, you're never grouping with the same people again... so who cares if you screw up?

Here's something the kids at WoW would shit bricks over:

UNLEVELING due to death-based XP loss.

Un-Ding. The most horrific thing ever in the history of all things. Made failure unbearably unacceptable.

me-a-monsteR
06-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I used to be addicted to the pc version Elder scrolls III Morrowind. Then my cousin pried the game from my deathgrip and took it home with him... and lost it. :-(
*sniff* Talking about it is tough.

Since then I've amused myself with Grand Theft Auto III, Need for Speed Carbon and poker... Tetris too (tee-hee ;) )
Boardgames I like: 30 seconds and Monopoly.
Also like playing dominoes, various card games.

Feral_Sophisticate
06-09-2012, 05:39 AM
Since then I've amused myself with Grand Theft Auto III, Need for Speed Carbon and poker... Tetris too (tee-hee ;) )
Boardgames I like: 30 seconds and Monopoly.
Also like playing dominoes, various card games.

If you like GTA III, you'll love Saints Row: The Third. WAY easier to control vehicles, and some of the in-character dialogue during missions is hilarious.

So is grabbing one of your homies and chucking them off the top of your HQ. :evil

defcon6000
07-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Ghost Master--I was in the mood for an old fun favorite--till I encountered an issue and went in search for a patch. Turns out there's only a patch for the UK version. >.>

At least it's on sale over at Steam.

Here's something the kids at WoW would shit bricks over:

UNLEVELING due to death-based XP loss.

Un-Ding. The most horrific thing ever in the history of all things. Made failure unbearably unacceptable.
Yikes! Reminds me of NWN where you'd lose XP if you died or used the soulstone--but you never unlevel'd. However, if you were on a someone's server, and you managed to piss off the DM... *poof* Bye-bye levels.

defcon6000
07-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Played Trine 2 last night with my brother, and that was a lot of fun, though my fingers were killing me from all the jumping. The environments are whimsically lovely.

Played Dear Esther, too. It's sort of a weird experience, I like to compare it to a "mood" story; more about the feelings it evokes than anything actually happening. The scenery--wow--breathtaking, especially the caves. Now to play through it again and spot all the ghosts.

ETA: Forgot to mention the music. I highly recommend looking up a few songs from Dear Esther on youtube (I think they're on their main site, too), though the songs are best when combined with the desolate imagery.

itskrissy
07-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Right now I'm playing Poke`mon Diamond. I don't like it. ):

KAM_writer
07-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Currently, I'm playing lots of Fable 3.

John Petersen
08-10-2012, 03:47 PM
I wrote a few board games, haven't played them in awhile. I like Texas Hold'em Poker. Used to play Hand and Foot a version of Canasta, but people got busy and money got tight.

druid12000
08-13-2012, 01:40 AM
GTA: San Andreas was a staple in my gaming diet for a looooooong time. I played that after GTA III and I can't even play III now because it's like going backwards. Not sure why they took so many elements away from the game because San Andreas was so much fun and you could do so much!
Left 4 Dead is by far one the best games I have played. I didn't like part 2 at first, mainly because of the change in graphic style, but damn they added so much to the mix that I have been hooked ever since.
Scrabble is great. Apples to apples is a hoot if you have a good group of people.

ZombiePaper
10-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Usually stick to handhelds, but I have ventured into playing on my computer.

RPGs (generally of the JRPG/SRPG kind — recently finished Radiant Historia), adventure (Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, 999), horror, platformer, whatever else. Oh, and Minecraft, which is really the only first person game I can play. Can't handle FPSs, quick first-person action screws with my balance.

Melanie Dawn
10-31-2012, 04:18 AM
I haven't gamed in ages (Other than Guild Wars 2). I have played D&D (3 different versions all 3.5 and before), World of Darkness, Rifts, and tons of miniature games.

I have my own set of mini rules.

amblack
11-27-2012, 06:49 PM

I'm mostly a PC gamer, but I have friends tempting me to join their D&D shenanigans. *watches writing time slipping away*

I run a very hilarious version of D&D- we used to take it more seriously, but every game just devolves into us fighting the most ridiculous monsters (like the gelatinous cube- it even has its own wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatinous_cube)!)

We play Arkham Horror and Dominion the most, but have also added the new Game of Thrones, Battlestar Galactica, and Diplomacy. Every once in awhile, we whip out Magic too.

As for by myself, I play the Sims 3 (man I am LOVING the new Seasons game) and my boyfriend plays a lot of Battlefield. I have my standby Mario and Donkey Kong games for the Wii, but I never got into or developed the ability to play a lot of modern computer/console games. Kirby's Epic Yarn was my jam last year though. =)

Calliea
12-07-2012, 11:15 PM
My drug for a while has been the League of Legends. I took a break to play a few NWN 1 modules recommended by my friend and to play through Baldur's Gate for the 20th time (because I just MUST from time to time or I'm gonna wither), but yeah, LoL's my vice now :D And to think it was what freed me from WoW... I'm a hopeless case.

J.W. Alden
01-03-2013, 07:50 AM
So has anyone else been utterly waylaid by the holiday Steam sale? I think I've spent more this year than any other. I blasted through $120 in Gamestop Steam wallet cards before New Year's, and just picked up another $50 tonight that I'm hoping will get me through whatever they have in store on these last few days.

Melanie Dawn
01-03-2013, 11:23 PM
So has anyone else been utterly waylaid by the holiday Steam sale? I think I've spent more this year than any other. I blasted through $120 in Gamestop Steam wallet cards before New Year's, and just picked up another $50 tonight that I'm hoping will get me through whatever they have in store on these last few days.

nope, I hate steam... I have it, but never use it. They have terrible customer service.

Shadow Dragon
01-05-2013, 12:15 AM
I just finished Saints Row The Third recently. Wow. It's one of the most fun and interesting games I've played in a while. For anyone that likes sandbox games and enjoys comedy being a major factor in a game, I'd highly suggest it.

J.W. Alden
01-07-2013, 04:40 PM
I just finished Saints Row The Third recently. Wow. It's one of the most fun and interesting games I've played in a while.

Me too, and I concur. One of the best pieces of mindless fun I've played all year.

I must admit though, when I hit the boredom threshold with this one, for some reason I hit it hard. As in, I just decided at the end of a session that I pretty much never needed to play it again, and uninstalled it. Probably not the game's fault though. It doesn't help that I'd just played Sleeping Dogs right before that, which is also a GTA-style open worlder (and a better game, imo, though not as high on the mindless fun side of things).

In other "I Have No Future" related news, here's a list of the games I bought during the Steam holiday sale:

Anno 2070
Arma 2 (and of course I'll be installing DayZ)
Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
Binary Domain
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
Dead Island
Fable 3
Far Cry 3
Galactic Civilization
Galactic Civilization 2
Hacker Evolution
Hacker Evolution Untold
Hacker Evolution Duality
Hitman
Hitman 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Hitman: Absolution
Just Cause 2
Legend of Grimrock
Mark of the Ninja
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
Spec Ops: The Line
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Warhammer 40K: Space Marine

And I still have games from last year's sale I haven't even played yet. So yeah. See you in 2014. *gently weeps*

Finis
02-05-2013, 01:38 AM
I picked up the Dues Ex pack in the steam sale along with Sleeping Dogs.

Got all the Deus Ex games and DLC for less than 12 bucks. and Sleeping Dogs and all of it's DLC for about $15.

In unrelated news I haven't written anything in two weeks.

Battyvamp
02-11-2013, 09:31 AM
World of Warcrack...I'm sorry Warcraft is my addiction >.<

Been playing it since 2007. Before that I played Quake 2 and those were pretty much the only games I ever played online....ooops I forgot UT. I was playing those back before it was common for chicks to play :D

I have tried table top D&D but only once or twice, never really got far into the campaign :( I am to much of a shut in these days and don't have many friends outside of my online life.

I have tried D&D online as well. Didn't like it as much as WoW. I have also tried Guild Wars, and Perfect World and so did not like either one.

I still occasionally play Lord of the Rings Online, and just started playing Star Wars The Old Republic Online. But nothing compares to my WoW. For the ALLIANCE! :D *snickersnort*

I play on my bf's 360 from time to time. Games I love are Darksiders, The Darkness (Darkness 2 sucked imo), Overlord, Halo Reach, Dante's Inferno, and so on.

I've loved video games since Atari came out....ummm maybe I shouldn't mention that...it ages me >.> lmao

Rockweaver
02-12-2013, 01:39 AM
im a gamer.
currently playing
Guildwars 2
Skyrim
Assassins Creed
Homeworld 2
Starcraft
Supreme commander
Guildwars1

Beta tested
9 titles for Aeria games
Guildwars 1, 2
(trying to get into the ES Beta)

use to play the tabletop version of
AD&D, Mechwarrior, Battlemech, Wizards, Melee and a few others.

so games yes. time not much.

you can find me in GW2 as The Old Gray Wolf.

DizScare
02-13-2013, 04:51 AM
I usually play RPGs. Both action and turn based.
Other than that, I would say Platformers are my go-to genre. [3d, not 2d.]

Epsilon
03-17-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm currently playing Planetside 2. Anyone else here on that game?

Zach Lancer
03-19-2013, 12:30 AM
I just picked up an artsy indie puzzle game called Antechamber from Steam.

Um.

Wow.

I can tell you it's a trip, a real mind bender where nothing is what it seems and anything is possible, completely detached from the rules of our everyday reality but with a twisted kind of logic of it's own. A brightly shining crazy diamond, this one.

I heartily recommend it, especially if you liked Portal, Quantum Conundrum and other quirky 1st person puzzlers.

charmedhorses
03-20-2013, 09:57 PM
I've started playing Scrabble a lot in the past year....it's a classic for a reason, right? :)

dreamonceh
03-25-2013, 03:33 AM
The games I play depend on my mood and I play most Steam games as I prefer computer to consoles.
I love playing Crusader Kings 2, Hearts of Iron 3, Total War games, Fallen Enchantress and CIV but nowadays I'm in no mood to play slow paced games.
Sometimes I play Test Drive Unlimited 2 'cuz I love the feeling of freedom and the speed lol.
I also love playing RPGs like Morrowind, Oblivion, Mount Blade WB, Torchlight and even Dragon Age.

Sometimes I play games like Tales of Abyss, Persona3, Disgaea, and other ones on my PS2.

And well, I also have a PS3 which I seldom play it but I recently received Ni No Kuni as gift so I've been playing quite a bit, and wow...this game is just awesome.

Louis Spector
04-06-2013, 05:30 AM
When Iím not writing, I like getting lost in Skyrim. Just finished Tomb Raider and loved it, canít wait for Grand Theft Auto next installment and enjoy goofing around with Red Dead Redemption. :D

vladimirsan
05-04-2013, 12:38 AM
I used to play a LOT of games when I was a child. Now with college and...life I find that I can't play as much as I would want to.

I mostly play Starcraft 2 and league of legends on the weekends. And I'm trying to find a little more time on weekdays to play more single player games (mostly RPG I hope). I'm in the middle of portal 1 right now :).

Nox the Many
05-07-2013, 07:47 AM
I used to play a LOT of games when I was a child. Now with college and...life I find that I can't play as much as I would want to.

This. I don't even know what happens to my time. I played through Mass Effect and Skyrim (minus some of the DLC), but before that ... I lost interest in the first ten minutes of skyward Sword, the second Zelda game I didn't click with, I no longer pick up my DS at all, I'm about three games behind on Assassin's Creed .... When I do have time to game, I'm still trying to get back to Skyrim or Palaven. I haven't felt like picking up anything new. :/

If I found a tabletop group, though, I would go bananas on that. It's been too long.

LOG
06-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Just finished Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. It definitely makes me more interested in the series, although I'm unclear on the difference between just M&M, and HoMM.

K.B. Parker
06-17-2013, 07:14 AM
I don't play many video games, but I love the Resident Evil Series. I grew up on them. I wish they would get back to survival horror instead of action horror though. I play Call of Duty, but only the Zombies. I played Red Dead Redemption for a while, but now only play the zombie pack. I love left4dead as well. I think I have a type here that I am just realizing. It all comes back to zombies.

Oh and Grand Theft Auto.

Shara
07-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Just picked up this thread and I am going to answer the original question.

I started playing D&D in high school. In 1990 I met the man who is now my husband, playing D&D. He was my DM.

24 years on, we still play D&D games. We have friends round about once a month or so (gets harder to find mutually convenient dates these days), we gather round the dining room table, and we get out the books and the dice. We're all the wrong side of 40 now, and we've all been playing D&D since the 1980s.

Hubby is not a writer, but so many years of putting together games he's very good at plotting. When I get stuck on a plot point in the WIP, he's the person I will talk it through with.

skydragon
07-17-2013, 04:26 PM
I play a ton of games.

On my PS3, I play: Final Fantasy, Bioshock, Fallout, Skyrim, Resident Evil, Call of Duty: Zombies, Dead Island, & Little Big Planet Karting. There are lots more but those are my favourites. :)

On my laptop, it's usually The Sims and League of Legends.

Reveen
07-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Lately I've been playing the Metal Gear Solid HD Pack, mostly focusing on Peace Walker.

Also played alot of Dark Souls a while back, but fell off the wagon when I ended up cursed in a really shitty area trying to farm humanity.

And a bit of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

katjapants
08-17-2013, 04:28 AM
I just played a half hour of Workout Mode on DDR Max. I burned over 300 calories! Now I think I'm going to die.

ShayneTWright
08-20-2013, 02:46 AM
World of Tanks is my current vice for PC

Black Tiger, a classic arcade barbarian platform is rocking the XBOX

Necromunda, tabletop RPG has only just gone back on hold

Lissibith
08-20-2013, 05:11 PM
I've been on a jrpg kick lately it seems. In the middle of Shin Megami Tensei 4 on my 3ds, Final Fantasy 7 on Steam and Tales of Xillia on the PS3. All of which I'm enjoying, which means I tend to have a tough time picking which one to grab after work each day >.<

is friday
11-26-2013, 09:29 AM
I played through the Mass Effects (plus DLC). Thank God, now I can have a life again.

Feral_Sophisticate
12-13-2013, 08:15 AM
My latest?

Saints Row 4 - makes for a great way to kill time whilst my girl makes my dinner...

Ok, I know that sounds misogynistic, but she likes traditional male/female gender roles...

Shadow Dragon
12-15-2013, 09:19 PM
I was playing Fallout Tactics for the first time earlier today. It definitely took some getting used to gameplay wise, but it's actually pretty fun. I wouldn't mind seeing Bethesda try its hand at a tactical style Fallout game, or license some other dev to make it.

JadeKnight
12-22-2013, 11:51 PM
I play:
-Star Wars (kotor, force unleashed, battlefront, jedi knight series, republic commando...)
-Need for Speed
-Tony Hawk
-Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
-Lego Games(addicted :P)
-Final Fantasy 13 (now that it's for xbox!)

Romantic Heretic
12-25-2013, 06:06 AM
I was playing Fallout Tactics for the first time earlier today. It definitely took some getting used to gameplay wise, but it's actually pretty fun. I wouldn't mind seeing Bethesda try its hand at a tactical style Fallout game, or license some other dev to make it.

Ask and ye shall receive. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_Tactics:_Brotherhood_of_Steel) You can get a copy here (http://www.gog.com/game/fallout_tactics).

Merry Christmas.

And while I'm at it I'm playing Borderlands 2 pretty much exclusively these days.

ArachnePhobia
12-25-2013, 06:47 AM
I felt nostalgic enough to pull out Darkstalkers the other day.

I have completely forgotten how to play it. I was helming Demitri, and I spent the whole time sucking the wrong way.

Shadow Dragon
12-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Ask and ye shall receive. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_Tactics:_Brotherhood_of_Steel) You can get a copy here (http://www.gog.com/game/fallout_tactics).

Merry Christmas.

And while I'm at it I'm playing Borderlands 2 pretty much exclusively these days.
That is Fallout Tactics, the only one made so far, and the one I've been playing. I meant that it'd be nice to see a new one. :tongue

Zoombie
12-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Wasteland 2 is coming out soon!

Hyperminimalism
02-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Finished Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag again. My first playthrough was on the PS3, but this time was on the PS4.

Reziac
02-17-2014, 07:56 PM
DOOM, and pretty much nothing else. I slaughter a few thousand helpless hellspawn every day. There are still excellent new levels being made, and now there are several good random map generators. My fave is ObHack (http://samiam.org/obhack/), which at its best can rival handbuilt maps.

Routhwick
02-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Candy Crush. That is all. Currently tring to solve Level 147 as soon as possible so I can move on.

Fame<Infamy
02-26-2014, 12:17 AM
Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us were the most noteworthy games I have played lately. I'm currently playing Dragon's Crown. All on the PS3.

Primus
03-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Well when I get a new desktop pc I'll be playing South Park: The Stick of Truth. Before that time comes I play on occasion Dragon Age: Origins on my laptop. One of my favorite games of all time, and back when Bioware made great games annually. Hopefully that trend will return with Inquisition.

Zoombie
04-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Age of Wonders 3. It was clearly made by people who loved Age of Wonders 1 and 2, though I'm slightly annoyed by the race drop off. Where are the high men, the archons, the shadow demons, the undead, the cat people, the desert nomads...

Maybe they're hidden somewhere in the game, but you can't start as them. Lame.

onesecondglance
04-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Just finished Beyond: Two Souls. I thought about replaying it to get all the endings, then decided it really wasn't worth it. It was all right, but not anywhere near as good as Heavy Rain - which I did see all the endings for.

CoffeeBeans
04-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Just finished Beyond: Two Souls. I thought about replaying it to get all the endings, then decided it really wasn't worth it. It was all right, but not anywhere near as good as Heavy Rain - which I did see all the endings for.

Oh man, I loved Heavy Rain. For me, the thing with Beyond: Two Souls - the endings are different, but not really all that different. I loved the story (though, I was disappointed the "two souls" was exactly what I guessed it was) but the ending was just what happened after the interesting bits. I youtubed the endings so I could see what I missed.

I beat Infamous:Second Son on the good path. Loved it. Now, I'm somewhere in the middle of the new Tomb Raider. I don't know, I'm torn on it. Looks good, plays like a lot of other games, and somehow, I have trouble giving it a lot of credit, because it's just a Tomb Raider game. That's unfair, and yet I'm still doing it.

onesecondglance
04-22-2014, 11:33 PM
Give it time. I really liked TR by the end - the character development won me over. Plus while it's not particularly ground-breaking gameplay, it is done really well.

Zoombie
04-23-2014, 04:31 AM
So, I got Baulder's Gate: Enhanced Edition a long time ago and...didn't get anywhere. But I've started playing it again and by poking around and getting Mensk, I've managed to get past the level 1 slump.

Once you start leveling (which in AD&D takes FORRRRRRREVERRRRRRRRRR!) the game opens up and gets really fun!

onesecondglance
04-23-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm playing Remember Me at the moment, and it seems like a series of missed opportunities. It's a great world and I want to spend time there, but it's trapped in the body of a bog-standard platform action adventure.

The "memory remix" mechanic they spent so much time hyping is great. Each one is a fun little puzzle; not too hard, and not requiring trial-and-error. There's just not enough of them! They're very short, and for a core mechanic they feel massively underused.

One of the other things is stealing memories - access codes, routes through traps, etc. That's a good idea, but it's done as a single button-press; it's too easy. They're telling me Nilin is this elite memory hunter, but the way the mechanic is implemented makes it look like anyone can do it. Plus it makes the ends of sections hunting for memories rather anti-climactic - the simple addition of a mini-game could have elevated this. It feels almost like the developers ran out of time.

There's a similar "finishing move" you can execute that supposedly overloads your target's memory circuits. It wouldn't have taken much to build the memory-stealing idea into combat alongside that or instead of that - have it be a way to unlock goodies like artwork, or little snippets of worldbuilding, or an XP element. It just seems like the game design - the mechanics of gameplay - aren't tied well into the game concept. I feel like someone like Ubisoft would have done a lot more with it.

Actually, now I'm imagining a new Assassin's Creed mechanic where you hack memories so you can play as characters other than your ancestor... that would be cool.

J.W. Alden
04-23-2014, 04:14 PM
The "memory remix" mechanic they spent so much time hyping is great. Each one is a fun little puzzle; not too hard, and not requiring trial-and-error. There's just not enough of them! They're very short, and for a core mechanic they feel massively underused.

Every time one of those memory remixes came up, I remember thinking, "I wish these were the whole game." If they put out a side-quel puzzle game that was literally nothing but a collection of memory remixes, I'd buy it.

You're right about Remember Me being a series of missed opportunities. The setting and backstory were so well-built; it's a shame the gameplay was just your standard crawl-n-brawl.

Lissibith
04-23-2014, 04:52 PM
So, I'm torn about whether or not to dust off my poor Vita and get Virtue's Last Reward on it. I loved 999 but I've heard mixed things about the sequel. Those things are mostly in fandom circles though and could be less about the quality of the game and more about a ship being sunk or something. Anyone played it? Worth the buy?

FlaDan
04-23-2014, 10:51 PM
I have gone back to Fallout New Vegas while I am waiting for Wolfenstein, the new order. Can't wait.

Latina Bunny
04-27-2014, 04:09 AM
Been playing various games, from indie RPG maker games to stuff like the new "Tomb Raider" game.

I am also enjoying "Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines" (my avvie is the Brujah female I am playing) and "Dishonored".

The only thing I don't like in Dishonored is that, to get the non-chaotic, "good" ending, I have to not use lethal force and use stealth. It is a bit frustrating to have lots of ammo, crossbolts, and a sword...but I can't use any of them, lol. I'm also terrible at stealth (which explains the Brujah vampire chick I play as, as the Brujah are a physical clan and prefer brute force), heh.

FlaDan
04-28-2014, 10:31 PM
I saw Diablo III got a great patch and is nowing dropping great loot everywhere.

I had to go out and get it this weekend. Love it.

Primus
05-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Yeah I'm playing Reaper of Souls currently and it's a great addition to D3. Love the crusader class. The major gripe for me regarding D3 though is the leveling system. It's too simplistic for my tastes but I still love the game regardless. Hoping Blizzard releases another exp.

DancingMaenid
05-02-2014, 09:29 AM

I liked Beyond: Two Souls all right, but found that I was satisfied just watching the other endings on Youtube.

I love Heavy Rain, and I think that raised my expectations. Beyond: Two Souls felt a lot more like an interactive movie than a game, which isn't necessarily bad, but it made the "choices" disappointing. One thing I liked about Heavy Rain was how even minor choices would react in some different responses/reactions sometimes, and failing a task usually just gave you a different outcome instead of making you do it over again.

I'm playing Remember Me at the moment, and it seems like a series of missed opportunities. It's a great world and I want to spend time there, but it's trapped in the body of a bog-standard platform action adventure.

I've been meaning to play that for a while, now, but I keep hearing pretty much the same verdict on it from everyone. I'm sure I'll still get around to buying and playing it, especially if I can get it on sale down the road, but what I've heard has made me put it further down my list.

I'm playing Dishonored right now, on the PS3. I'm enjoying it, and I love the stealth aspects even if I'm not very good at it sometimes. I think I'm starting the final mission now. I think the only thing I dislike is that sometimes the nonlethal options in missions seem more cruel or messed up than just assassinating the people. That kind of lessens the motivation to spare people, IMO, and it can make Corvo seem more passive-aggressive than merciful.

lilyWhite
05-02-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm replaying Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals, which is my favourite remake of anything ever. It stays true to Lufia II's mix of battles and puzzles in dungeons while really fleshing out the world and characters. It adds a lot to distinguish the setting from the rather generic medieval setting of the original game and gives a lot more personality to the party members and NPCs (and, most importantly, there's more Dekar, who's even more amazing and stupid).

But as much as I love the game, I wish nothing but ill upon every single person responsible for the Gades boss fights. (Even if those people wrote every one of Dekar's lines.)

C.bronco
05-05-2014, 06:36 AM
DOOM, and pretty much nothing else. I slaughter a few thousand helpless hellspawn every day. There are still excellent new levels being made, and now there are several good random map generators. My fave is ObHack (http://samiam.org/obhack/), which at its best can rival handbuilt maps.

That is funny. It is the only video game I play, Final Doom, PS2 version once in a blue moon. I do play Pokemon TCG with my son almost every day.

onesecondglance
05-10-2014, 01:43 AM
Currently playing God Of War: Ascension, also known as "how to turn a franchise you love into utter shite".

Zoombie
05-12-2014, 09:58 AM
I've been replaying Knights of the Old Republic!

It was all going well until I found, to my horror, that quick load was F5.

Reziac
05-12-2014, 05:43 PM
That is funny. It is the only video game I play, Final Doom, PS2 version once in a blue moon. I do play Pokemon TCG with my son almost every day.

Final DOOM was actually two sets of fan-made maps (not sure of the arrangement with TeamTNT, but Plutonia was commissioned, and was made very quickly). TeamTNT went on to make several more major projects, not only WADs but also the BOOM engine that is the foundation for most of the advanced DOOM engines today, including the ZDoom family. (I was a member of the very extensive BOOM beta testing group, and found about 75% of the reported bugs.) I use a BOOM descendant called Fusion, which added jumping and a lot of enhancements to the nasty tweaks that can be done with the monsters. :evil

Userc16
05-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Speaking of Doom, I remember I used to play Doom 1 but multi-player. My god was that game fun. Not sure how many hours I wasted playing it, but it's a fond part of my later childhood.

Reziac
05-14-2014, 11:01 PM
I never got into multiplayer... it sounded fun, but when I got a chance to do it... deathmatch annoyed me and co-op didn't do much for me either. I just wanna kill hellspawn without interference. :D

A few silly demos I made a while back:
http://www.reziac.com/bin/demos.htm

Zoombie
05-23-2014, 09:38 AM
So, I beat Kotor 1 and now I am playing Kotor 2 and...

Okay, this is USING a fan-patch that fixes thousands of bugs and adds in literally 20 hours of cut content.

...Knights of the Republic 2 blows Knights of the Republic 1 out of the WATER. It's so much better than the first game, it is practically UNREAL. I'm completely stunned by the sheer amount of...fascinatingly good writing is going on in this game. The characters are interesting and compelling, the combat has been re-balanced to make ranged weapons actually fun to use, and the Exile's backstory is so much more interesting than Revan's.

And this is coming from someone who thinks that the Revan twist was one of the best I'd ever played. But...the Exile manages to be more complex, and reveals this complexity through naturalistic dialog. There's something awesomely cool about learning about my character's backstroy via DIALOG choices.

Once again, it is an example of how all the best Bioware and Bethesda Games are from Obsidian.

...even if they're buggy as shit.

lilyWhite
05-23-2014, 04:01 PM
KotOR II (along with Fallout: New Vegas) shows me how Obsidian really isn't good at grey-and-grey morality. It's especially glaring with KotOR II, where they just threw in a ton of retcons to make Revan into a complete Speshul Snowflake. And even with their obsession with grey-and-grey, you'd have to be awfully unfamiliar with any sort of fiction to not realize that Kreia is blatantly a villain.

I wouldn't exactly call the gameplay "re-balanced" either, since all they did was make every type of weapon absurdly overpowered. Not to mention how making other party members into Jedi is horribly implemented and that none of them really benefit from becoming Jedi.

Having played Fallout 3 recently, which has a far more interesting plot than New Vegas's "nobody except the Courier can do anything, and it's grey-and-grey except for how the NCR is clearly the most 'white' and the Legion is blatantly pure-'black'" and much better and more varied world design, my opinion on Obsidian is that all they're good at is taking other developers' engines and tweaking the gameplay. And even then, it's still filled with poor balance and design decisions.

Zoombie
05-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Well, I haven't actually gotten to the point where I can turn any of my party members into Jedi.

So far, I've just been having a lot of fun playing my ranged ex-Jedi build.

CrastersBabies
05-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Old skool Everquest. Project 1999, yo!

Zoombie
05-23-2014, 07:48 PM
I have heard some REALLY cool things about Everquest...

What's Project 1999?

KateSmash
05-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Eh, it's not really fair to judge New Vegas against Fallout 3. 3 is very, very much a Bethesda game, with Bethesda doing all they do best (which is a big, cohesive world unearthed through constant player discovery. IMO, of course, but six years in and I'm still seeing things I haven't before). New Vegas is more in keeping with the original titles - complete with a healthy layer of cheesy goodness over the grit. Which makes sense, since Obsidian brought in a lot of the Interplay crew that worked on earlier titles. :shrug:

Anyway, I've been playing both pretty relentlessly lately. Just can't stay away from either wasteland too long.

Zoombie
05-27-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure how much of the content is restored, and how much was in the original Kotor2, but...

Man, Kreia is just catastrophically incorrect about everything. Social Darwinism is a flawed philosophy, and I'm glad you can tell her to get stuffed.

Shadow Dragon
06-19-2014, 09:49 AM
I actually really like that Kreia believes in studying both sides of the force and condemns anyone that thinks only one side is purely right. Even with her faults, she comes off as a much better teacher than most Jedi do.

mkEngland
09-16-2014, 02:25 AM
Anyone else playing Destiny right now? I'm kind of disappointed... I'm enjoying the gameplay, but I was expecting a lot more story.

Zoombie
09-16-2014, 02:56 AM
Anyone else playing Destiny right now? I'm kind of disappointed... I'm enjoying the gameplay, but I was expecting a lot more story.

I'm kind of glad I skipped that one.

Bluefish
10-09-2014, 05:11 AM
I'm currently playing a fair amount of Skyrim. And when I say "playing," I mean "playing for 40 minutes then encountering yet another glitch and rage-quitting." The. I usually come crawling back within a day, because I want to find just one more Word of Power.

What I'm really anticipating is when Season 2 of The Walking Dead is released on disc next week.

C.bronco
10-09-2014, 06:06 AM
Minecraft, but only in creative mode.

Ladyxkaa
10-11-2014, 10:40 PM
right now? I'm working on my resident evil 5 save to get the infinite ammo rocket launcher~

Cliff Face
12-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Recently I've been getting back into gaming. So, along with trying to *finally* finish 2 games (Dawn Of War 2, and Neverwinter Nights 2) that I never had time for, I've also started in on StarCraft 2 and Dragon Age: Origins.

Those ought to keep me busy for a few months at least.

WaywardSquirrel
12-10-2014, 09:59 PM
I've got a backlog of games I bought on sale and haven't even played, or maybe played once or twice but then got sidetracked with something else. Right now I'm plugging away at the DLC for the first Borderlands, and I haven't decided what to tackle next.

Melanii
12-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Happy DOOM anniversary!!

Playing Disgaea 3, and Tales if Phantasia with my boyfriend. Occasionally Tactics Ogre.

Tamlyn
12-11-2014, 12:50 PM
I got sucked back into WoW. I was on the last level of Tomb Raider Anniversary too; I wonder if I'll get back to it in time to remember what I was doing >>

Forbidden Snowflake
12-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Since I'm building my first PC this weekend, I am quite looking forward to starting with The Witcher 1 and Dragon Age Origins.

Then KOTOR is on my list, everyone praises 2, should I play 1 as well or just 2?

And I bought CS, I've never played an FPS game before, so that will be interesting.

Bufty
12-11-2014, 04:19 PM
You shouldn't be getting 'glitches' on Skyrim - it's several years old.

I'm currently playing a fair amount of Skyrim. And when I say "playing," I mean "playing for 40 minutes then encountering yet another glitch and rage-quitting." The. I usually come crawling back within a day, because I want to find just one more Word of Power.

What I'm really anticipating is when Season 2 of The Walking Dead is released on disc next week.

Bufty
12-11-2014, 04:25 PM
I assume you've played Mass Effect, Dead Space, Tomb Raider and Deus Ex Human Revolution. They're all worth a crack if you haven't.

Since I'm building my first PC this weekend, I am quite looking forward to starting with The Witcher 1 and Dragon Age Origins.

Then KOTOR is on my list, everyone praises 2, should I play 1 as well or just 2?

And I bought CS, I've never played an FPS game before, so that will be interesting.

Whimsigirl
12-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Ahhh how have I just noticed this thread?

KOTOR's also on my list to finish during a few flights over the holidays. I play too much Spades on the subway and am a quarter into Skyrim.

Forbidden Snowflake
12-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Ahhh how have I just noticed this thread?

KOTOR's also on my list to finish during a few flights over the holidays. I play too much Spades on the subway and am a quarter into Skyrim.

Did you play KOTOR 1 and 2? Or did you start with 2?

Forbidden Snowflake
12-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Anyone playing Civilization V? I've heard many good things about it, but somehow I can't get into it. Which means, I put about 2 hours into it and still do not quite get on what I have to do. (Well, I do get what I am doing as in I am running around building things, but I find it boring and I'm worried I might be missing out on something because I didn't give it more time.) Maybe it's just not up my alley.

I assume you've played Mass Effect, Dead Space, Tomb Raider and Deus Ex Human Revolution. They're all worth a crack if you haven't.

I've played those on consoles. I'm still on Mass Effect 3 actually. Need to finish that, now that you mention it. Love Deus Ex.

onesecondglance
12-17-2014, 03:36 PM

You shouldn't be getting 'glitches' on Skyrim - it's several years old.

To be fair, Skyrim has always been quite glitchy, as have all the big Bethesda RPGs. I've not found it to be game-breakingly bad, though.

Love Deus Ex.

Currently replaying DX:HR - the Director's Cut version is my excuse. Love it love it love it. Best game I've played in years.

J.W. Alden
12-18-2014, 07:57 AM

You should absolutely play the first KOTOR. It's one of the greatest RPGs ever made, imo. Also, when you play KOTOR 2, make sure you get the restored content mod or else you might find yourself wondering why so many say it's better than the first. When it first came out, it was rushed to meet a timed release date and lots of content was cut. Much of it is restored with the mod.

selenahill21
12-19-2014, 10:41 AM
I love online games. I occasionally play Xbox and final fantasy. Etc.

Rachel77
12-26-2014, 11:39 PM
Just finished the Gabriel Knight remake (and am replaying it, mostly because I'm on a Mac and therefore can't play the sequels :cry:).

This is probably sacrilege, but I prefer the new voice actor over Tim Curry. He's much more consistent with the characterization (some of Tim Curry's line readings struck me as odd choices).

jamesfinegan
01-04-2015, 01:30 AM
I've recently been playing the Hitman games again. I forgot how fun they are! :D

DjentlemanJoe
01-04-2015, 03:23 AM
You should absolutely play the first KOTOR. It's one of the greatest RPGs ever made, imo.

Absolutely couldn't agree more.

I'm mostly into Gears of War (I don't mean to brag, but I'm pretty good - well, I was), but I've been playing Pokemon mostly as of late.

Romantic Heretic
01-06-2015, 06:11 PM
I recently acquired War Thunder (http://warthunder.com/en). It's great for an old Grognard like me.

It's a very tough game to play well though. If you go in thinking you'll be the next Michael Wittman you'll be very surprised.

Balthagor
01-08-2015, 11:04 PM
I recently acquired War Thunder (http://warthunder.com/en). It's great for an old Grognard like me...
I started playing that but also installed World of Tanks the same weekend and that's captured my attention a bit more. I do intend to go back to War Thunder in the future.

I've also enjoyed From Dust, a very different, almost artistic game.

robjvargas
01-08-2015, 11:35 PM
I still enjoy Starcraft (pretty much all of it, I and II). And SimCity 2000. Roller Coaster Tycoon. And what was the Microsoft strategy game? Oh, Rise of Nations.

On console (XBox360) I'm still playing Rainbow 6: Vegas, and Need for Speed: Most Wanted. I was going to buy one of the old Splinter Cell games, but I keep changing my mind which. And I want to play Thief, as well.

Excuse Me
02-25-2015, 01:49 AM
Been playing PES when I have played but waiting for Quantum Break and Tomb Raider to come out.

Kakko
03-06-2015, 06:23 AM
Right now I play smash 4 wii u, the new Killer instinct, Destiny, Bayonetta 2, and Hyrule Warriors mostly. Some of my favorite games of all time are Ocarina of Time, Super Mario World, Majora's Mask, and Resident Evil 4. Anybody here play smash 4 online?

Lazarene
04-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Until a couple of weeks ago it was all Dragon Age: Inquisition and Sunset Overdrive. Now though I'm playing through every nook and cranny of Mortal Kombat X. Always been a huge fighting game fan and along with Killer Instinct MK is just the best.

Violet Vixen
05-11-2015, 10:07 AM
I play mostly on my Xbox One, wii u, and 3DS. Currently have been playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies(3DS), Destiny(XB1), Dragon Age: Inquisition(XB1), Super Smash Bros. Wii-U, and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate(3DS).

If anyone would like to add me, my gamertag is VioletVixenator and my NNID is Sir_Aaron. :)

_city_
06-11-2015, 09:49 PM
Curious: how does DA: Inquisition rank in comparison to the first two?

Sophia
06-11-2015, 11:03 PM
Anyone playing Civilization V? I've heard many good things about it, but somehow I can't get into it. Which means, I put about 2 hours into it and still do not quite get on what I have to do. (Well, I do get what I am doing as in I am running around building things, but I find it boring and I'm worried I might be missing out on something because I didn't give it more time.) Maybe it's just not up my alley.

I love Civilization V. At first, I didn't; I was too used to IV, and found that I wasn't picking things up as quickly as I'd hoped to. But it didn't take much more than 2 hours for me to really get into it. I love the belief system, for example, although you can completely ignore it if you want, and the huge range of extra civilizations you can play as (depending on the mods installed). Did you end up continuing with it?

(And also, Mass Effect 3, my favourite game ever, although I know I might be in the minority there. Did you finish it?)

tigeraye
06-16-2015, 02:06 AM
Picked up Smash 4 today and ordered Pokemon White 2. Gonna be going between those, Skyrim and Trauma Center: Under the Knife for the next while. Also gonna replay the Ace Attorney games.

Latina Bunny
06-25-2015, 08:49 AM
Picked up Smash 4 today and ordered Pokemon White 2. Gonna be going between those, Skyrim and Trauma Center: Under the Knife for the next while. Also gonna replay the Ace Attorney games.

Ooh, some good games there! :)
SuperSmashBros. is awesome, though I still love Melee. Skyrim is just amazing.

I've been playing Borderlands 2 split screen co-op with my sister. So addicting, just shooting things and collecting loot. :D

TheCthultist
07-07-2015, 01:30 AM
There is no end to the amount of fun you can have with Smash 4, assuming you have people to play with and/or an Internet connection.

About to start MGS: Ground Zeroes again on the ps4 instead of the now dead Xbox 360 I was playing it on. I have a sudden urge to 100% it before Phantom Pain comes out in September now.

CELSTEFANI
10-07-2015, 05:06 AM
I'm eager to revisit the The Uncharted Collection in a few days. Some of the other games I enjoy are The Last of Us, Dead Space, God of War, Final Fantasy, inFAMOUS, and Resident Evil.

Natty11
10-20-2015, 03:46 AM
^^ I just finished the Uncharted series. After having played over a hundred hours of Dragon Age Inquisition, it really hit me how short the games are :/ [Also Tales from the Borderlands & replaying Dragon Age Origins. A little bit of Persona]

NoirSuede
11-28-2015, 07:51 PM
The Yakuza series, it's criminally underrated :

https://youtu.be/xkN9oru-qCQ

Latina Bunny
11-28-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm getting addicted to Yo-Kai Watch, which is basically similar to Pokemon or Shin Megami Tensei, but cutesy, gentle, and very child-friendly.

The "monsters"/creatures are based on Youkai, spirit /supernatural creatures from Japanese folklore.

It's basically Shin Megami Tensei for kids, lol! :D I love it!

It's also got an anime and two manga series (one shounen series aimed at boys, and one shoujo series aimed at girls).

(Note: It seems only the boy manga got released to the U.S. :( Probably because the U.S. loves that young boy demographic...)

I love that I can play a girl character, (like in Pokemon).

It's done by Level 5, the same company that did Prefessor Layton, Inazuma Eleven, and Fantasy Life.

Zoombie
11-29-2015, 10:26 AM
I've been playing two games that use abstraction to get across complex ideas.

Undertale, which uses bullet-hell games to represent the battling style of various monsters, wrapped in a complex and interesting story about choice and consequences with a downright hysterical writing style (matched with serious Feels moments.)

And...

Huniepop! Which uses match-three puzzle games to boobs.

Shadow Dragon
12-01-2015, 07:07 AM
I've mainly been playing Fallout 4. But I've also started Final Fantasy Type 0 HD Remake, and it's going to take some time to get used to that style of combat. It is fun though, but I wish the camera movement was a bit slower.

Shadowflame
12-29-2015, 08:34 PM
Currently playing:
Warframe (Free on Steam)
Civilization V (great long term game)
Torchlight II
Final Fantasy VII - classic game that I'm going to keep forever but looking forward to the remake
Gemcraft
Various choice based games for research

Shadow Dragon
01-24-2016, 08:40 PM
I finally got around to playing the Uncharted collection that came with my PS4. This will probably be an unpopular opinion considering how highly rated the games are but dear jebus did I find them boring. The actual tomb raiding bits are just too goofy at times. Like being able to progress only because colonial Spaniards happened to leave explosive barrels in the right spot. However, as silly as it was at times, jumping around places wasn't half bad.

The problem comes from the combat. There's only so many times you can kill wave after wave of enemy from behind waist high cover before it gets old. It wasn't quite as bad in the first game because the combat was at least a bit quicker. In the second game they loved giving guys armor and dragging it out. About half way through Uncharted 2 in the middle of a fight I just quit the game. I simply didn't want to play anymore.

Since Drake is supposed to be a thief, shouldn't he at least try to be a stealthy? Instead he's a one man army that leaves nothing but death in his wake.

jessemarks
03-26-2016, 08:56 AM
I love playing outdoor games. It makes me relax after coming from school. I also like playing computer games but, Outdoor games brings body activity which, I feel necessary after having school hours.

Cernex
03-26-2016, 10:15 AM
I'm currently playing all of the Assassin's Creed games chronologically (at least the main ones. Getting my hands on the DS and PSP ones has been a little bit... dificult). What can I say? There's something very compeling in playing as some sort of old-style ninja in alternate history settings with lots of doses of conspiracy theories and the sorts. It's all in good fun.

I began with the first one (which, even with me liking the series, it's not as great as people claimed back on the day. It was overrated back then, and it remains overrated today). Altair is cool, and he carries the whole game on his shoulders, and it works!

2 and Brotherhood are "better" and "much better" compared to the first one, specially in the music department.

Revelations was all right, but MAN can one tell the original director got fired after Brotherhood. While some action segments are pretty cool, and the soundtrack helps a lot, MAN is it a short game. The multiplayer is quite addictive and people STILL play it, surprisingly.

Right now I'm playing 3... or at least, I WAS until my Wii U suddenly decided not to read the disk anymore (it's not the Wii U's fault, it reads all the other games completely fine. Just AC 3 it doesn't read). I got to play quite a bit before it stopped working, and I was liking it quite a bit too. The music took a step backwards to Revelations and Brotherhood, but it was still good. The multiplayer was pretty much "Revelation's multiplayer + more stuff" which was nice.

So yeah, seeing how I'm stuck unable to play AC 3 atm, I might go back to the older games, download their DLCs, and play them again while I find another AC3 copy. Or play it digitally. Dunno, whatever happens first.

AgentCooper
05-17-2016, 01:10 PM
I'm planning on starting my third playthrough of Fallout 4. In the mean time, I'm on the last chapter of Life is Strange, the second chapter of the Game of Thrones Tell-Tale game, and have The Vanishing of Ethan Carter queued up to check out. I have Dragon Age: Inquisition and Shadow of Mordor at the ready, too. Oh, and have No Man's Sky pre-ordered...can't wait for that one.

Zoombie
05-17-2016, 08:18 PM
Stellaris has consumed my liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife

Cernex
05-20-2016, 11:06 PM
I've made the deadly mistake of getting "Pocket Jockey" a horse farming/racing sim combined with solitaire. Sounds weird? I thought so too!

Now I can't stop playing it. SEND HELP

WriterDude
05-20-2016, 11:32 PM
Subway surfers on the Kindle.

allthefeels
06-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Drop 7 as a time-filler and Clash of Kings on my tablet. Really looking forward to the arrival of my new laptop in anticipation of some MMO activity.

BryanFischer
06-06-2016, 06:14 PM
I play mostly board games. Lately, I was impressed by the flavor in Cthulhu Wars. On the back of the player boards is a story about the great old one and they are really well done.

Latina Bunny
06-27-2016, 07:38 AM
Darn Steam sale. I ended up getting and playing some cheap and short point-and-click adventure/puzzle games, Samorost 2 and Samorost 3. They're made by the same company that did the excellent Botanicula and Machinarium games.

Lately, I've been playing Baldur's Gate, Digimon: Cyber-sleuths (PS4), and Odin Sphere (PS4 port of old PS2 game).

I'm really starting to enjoy Baldur's Gate, weird Dungeons and Dragons combat and stats aside.

Odin Sphere is always excellent, though going through and grinding through the same stages as different characters can get a bit repetitive. (I got the awesome PS4 remake version with the combat and stage changes. I had an older port of Odin Sphere on the PS3 as a download before.)

I just love so much of Odin Sphere: the lovely 2D artwork and 2D animations, the combat, the characters, and the story. Pretty much almost everything. Just the repetitive stages and minor grinding are the only drawbacks.

But I just love this game! I almost love it as much as Okami (PS2 and PS3). (Okami is just so awesome!)

Maggie Maxwell
06-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Ooh, I'll have to look into those Samorost games. I loved Botanicula.

The Steam sale's gotten me too. I picked up two expansions for Goat Simulator, Plantera, Please Don't Touch Anything, Last Word (all games for, like, less than $2 that I was curious to try), Roundabout (a weird little driving game playing off of 70s B movies), Tales of Symphonia (since they fixed the issues with the port) and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, which I adored on PS3 and am super-hyped to play again. All told, it was $40, so I feel like I did pretty well considering half of that was DD: DA. I'll dig into one or more of these once I've finished with Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which I've never beaten.

Sophia
06-27-2016, 06:40 PM
I love Steam sales. :) I picked up three Star Trek games (25th Anniversary, Judgement Rites, and Starfleet Academy), as well as Neon Drive, just because I love the look of it.

Latina Bunny
06-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Ooh, I'll have to look into those Samorost games. I loved Botanicula.

The Steam sale's gotten me too. I picked up two expansions for Goat Simulator, Plantera, Please Don't Touch Anything, Last Word (all games for, like, less than $2 that I was curious to try), Roundabout (a weird little driving game playing off of 70s B movies), Tales of Symphonia (since they fixed the issues with the port) and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, which I adored on PS3 and am super-hyped to play again. All told, it was $40, so I feel like I did pretty well considering half of that was DD: DA. I'll dig into one or more of these once I've finished with Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which I've never beaten.

Just to give you a heads up on the Samorost games. I've only played Samorost 2 so far. Samorost 2 is really, really short, once you figure out (or find out on internet, lol) what you're doing with certain puzzles. Samorost 3 looks to be somewhat longer, based on the download size. Still a lovely game series. :)

I'm glad to hear they fixed the issues with the ToS port. I heard it (or some other JRPG series?) was pretty bad. My sister played ToS back on the GameCube.

Of course, we gave away a lot of our old games and old system. Which I regret to this day, lol. (At least we kept a handful of the GameCube games, like Super Smash Bros Melee, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Phantasy Star Online, etc. And we still have a a few PS1 games like Spyro the Dragon, Spider Man 1/2, and Monster Rancher 2. We also have Mega Man/MMX games from PS1 and PS2, and that weird MMX RPG on GameCube.)

Oh, I have yet to finish an actual Legend of Zelda game, lol. :P I just started playing LoZ Ocarina of Time on 3DS. (I played the original on N64 or whatever, but I got too scared/stressed of the monster bosses, so I didn't really play much. I'm trying to be more patient with old games as I get older, lol.)

ETA: I'm trying to figure out how to create a women's prison in the PC indie game, Prison Architect.

Maggie Maxwell
06-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Just to give you a heads up on the Samorost games. I've only played Samorost 2 so far. Samorost 2 is really, really short, once you figure out (or find out on internet, lol) what you're doing with certain puzzles. Samorost 3 looks to be somewhat longer, based on the download size. Still a lovely game series. :)

I'm glad to hear they fixed the issues with the ToS port. I heard it (or some other JRPG series?) was pretty bad. My sister played ToS back on the GameCube.

Of course, we gave away a lot of our old games and old system. Which I regret to this day, lol. (At least we kept a handful of the GameCube games, like Super Smash Bros Melee, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Phantasy Star Online, etc. And we still have a a few PS1 games like Spyro the Dragon, Spider Man 1/2, and Monster Rancher 2. We also have Mega Man/MMX games from PS1 and PS2, and that weird MMX RPG on GameCube.)

Oh, I have yet to finish an actual Legend of Zelda game, lol. :P I just started playing LoZ Ocarina of Time on 3DS. (I played the original on N64 or whatever, but I got too scared of the monster bosses and got tired/stressed of the puzzles and travelling to play much of them, lol. I'm trying to be more patient with old games as I get older.)

Botanicula was pretty short too. As long as it's fun, I don't mind length, and the company has a good track record. :)

Yeah, according to the recent reviews (I love that change to Steam's review system), the port's fixed and the game's playable now. When it came out on GameCube I was stalking the local Gamestop on a weekly basis to find a copy, which, humorously enough, led to me getting my first job. XD And after all that effort, I never actually beat it. It's so long and I was just about to start college. Sooo, Steam copy.

It's pretty much a universal law: If you sell a system or game, you will want to play it again. I dumped my SNES and all the games as a kid because I got an N64. Still regret that choice.

Latina Bunny
06-27-2016, 08:39 PM
It's pretty much a universal law: If you sell a system or game, you will want to play it again. I dumped my SNES and all the games as a kid because I got an N64. Still regret that choice.

Yup. So true. Totally understand. Same with uninstalling it, too, lol. (At least, with me. I went and re-bought and reinstalled Oblivion and Morrowind.)

Cliff Face
06-28-2016, 05:59 AM
TAM, I did the exact same thing - sold my SNES at a garage sale after getting an N64. Argh! Some of those SNES games are still my favourites to this day - Donkey Kong 2 and 3, and Mario Kart, mostly. I never had many games as a kid, but the ones I did buy, I almost always played to death. Like, getting 102% in DK.

So... It's kind of ironic that all of you are buying up a bunch of games on the Steam sale. I've bought games recently, but not one of them has come from Steam. About a month ago, I bought a New 3DS XL and Pokemon Omega Ruby. Then Alpha Sapphire, X and Y - because I realised that having 2 copies of each "era" was the only way I was going to be able to "catch 'em all" - given that I don't have any Pokemon-playing friends to trade with. Excessive, yes, but satisfying. :)

Also bought Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 for the PC. They were actually my first digital game purchases, ever. Then yesterday, I wound up buying Bayonetta, The Orange Box, and Devil May Cry, all for the XBox360. I was only looking for Bayonetta, but then I stumbled across The Orange Box too, which has Portal, a game I've been wanting to play for some time. And then I noticed that they both had stickers on them saying, "Buy 2, get 1 free". Hence Devil May Cry, which looked to be interesting enough, but which I'm not all that excited about.

So yes... Combine that with the games I have yet to finish, and I expect I have enough games to keep me going for another 2 years. :tongue Now I've just got to find the free time after studying...

ezekiah
06-28-2016, 06:48 AM
I'll be picking up Star Ocean 5 (PS4) tomorrow. JRPG's tend to be my favorite. I do get burned out on them from time to time though. So most recently I've been playing The Division and Planetside 2.

As for keeping your old games, I have kept all of my old game consoles and most (if not all) of my games. Even my NES (kind of on its last leg though).

Latina Bunny
06-28-2016, 09:07 PM
Ah, Mario Kart (64). Good times. :)

Last Nintendo console game I've bought recently was Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (and Revelations DLC for it).

Lately, I've also been buying from either Steam, Good Old Games, BigFish Games, or Gamehouse. Sometimes, I'll buy indie games from some smaller indie game websites, too.

IMHO, PC usually tends to provide some variety, especially with lots of small indie and PC classic games, and PC ports out there, so that could be why I usually buy more for PC these days. (Not to mention free Flash games. Remember those?)

Plus, PC was my first gaming system. Tomb Raider series, Sierra, LucasArts, and Humongous games on the PC were my first loves.

Oooooh, and The Sims series were my absolute favorites of all time.

While I loved many console/handheld games, PC games (and indie PC games) were usually more suited to my tastes, especially with the advent of Flash and indie games.

I have always loved, and still love, Point and Click Adventures (including those many Casual Point and Click ones), Time Management games, and simulation-ish or sandbox-ish kinds of games.

Obviously, these types of games are usually found on PC.

I also loved exploration and RPG-ish elements, too, which led me to discover the Elder Scrolls games. (It was Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, on the PC, back in the day.)

So I guess it isn't much of a surprise why I would be very excited by Steam, GOG, and BigFish sales. :)

I still buy the occasional game for Playstation 3/4, and 3DS, but there are only a small group of console-exclusive games I really, really, really love.

I've always been more of a PC gal than a console gal, so it's not ironic for me to buy stuff from Steam and other PC gaming sites.

Reason I'm not regretting giving away PC games? Because I still have some of those old games, even to this day, lol! XD (Though some aren't natively compatible with today's tech.)

Tomb Raider 1-3, Morrowind, The Sims (and expansion packs), Sims 2, (and expansion pack), Day of the Tentacle, Inaidan Jones Journey to Atlantis, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Petz, Creatures, Baldur's Gate II (though I rarely played), Freddi Fish, Spy Fox, Thinking Things series, Zoombinis, Startopia, Black and White 1 and 2, Sonic R, and so on...

Zoombie
06-29-2016, 12:01 AM
Subnautica has been consuming my life!

Latina Bunny
06-29-2016, 12:30 AM
Subnautica has been consuming my life!

Ooh, the general premise sounds interesting. Definitely going to give this a look at some gameplay videos or reviews later today. (I hope it's not horror, or at least, not too scary for me, lol.)

Cliff Face
06-29-2016, 02:49 AM
I've always been more of a PC gal than a console gal, so it's not ironic for me to buy stuff from Steam and other PC gaming sites.

For what it's worth, my comment about people buying up big on the Steam sale being "ironic" was a statement on myself. That is, I've just bought a bunch of games, completely oblivious to the Steam sale that was going on. The irony was that I was also buying up big, in a pure coincidence.

Sorry if my earlier comment caused confusion or ruffled any feathers.

So. I played Portal last night, for the first time ever. I'm up to stage 8 of (I think) 19. It's going rather quickly, so unfortunately it seems to be a rather short game. But it's incredibly fun! Like, it felt like I had been playing for no more than about 5 minutes. When I looked at my watch, it had actually been 45 minutes. That level of immersion, where I completely lose track of time - that, for me, is the mark of a fantastic game. I also had the same effect with Dragon Age: Origins. :)

Latina Bunny
06-29-2016, 05:16 AM
For what it's worth, my comment about people buying up big on the Steam sale being "ironic" was a statement on myself. That is, I've just bought a bunch of games, completely oblivious to the Steam sale that was going on. The irony was that I was also buying up big, in a pure coincidence.

Sorry if my earlier comment caused confusion or ruffled any feathers.

Nah, I'm not offended. I misunderstood you, totally, but I wasn't offended. :) Sorry if I sounded like I was upset. (I also wanted to share my game exposure experiences anyway, too.)

I was kind of confused, actually, and thought maybe it was a comment on how some of us were regretting giving away old/retro console games, and yet we got Steam (PC) games instead, lol! XD I was saying how it wouldn't be ironic for me buying Steam games, because I have...er, "originated" as a PC owner. (I think ironic would be if I was a console user first, then bought games on Steam/PC, or something. :P )

But, yes, I totally understand you, and feel you. :) I have bought full-priced games not involved in various sales as well. I just get whatever games I want, sale or no sale. :P

So. I played Portal last night, for the first time ever. I'm up to stage 8 of (I think) 19. It's going rather quickly, so unfortunately it seems to be a rather short game. But it's incredibly fun! Like, it felt like I had been playing for no more than about 5 minutes. When I looked at my watch, it had actually been 45 minutes. That level of immersion, where I completely lose track of time - that, for me, is the mark of a fantastic game. I also had the same effect with Dragon Age: Origins. :)

Portal and Dragon Age: Origins are excellent games that can suck up lots of hours, I agree.

In Portal, I got a bit stuck on Stage 16 or 17. I can't remember why, though. (I'm terrible at puzzle games, even if I enjoy them, lol. XD )

Cliff Face
06-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Ah, yeah, I may have been using an unconventional definition of irony there. (That is, it seemed ironic to me, so that's the word I used, whether it was the right word or not. :tongue)

And OMG yes, Dragon Age: Origins is an awesome time sink. I played 40 hours of it in a single week, but then had to pause my progress because I was starting back at Uni. And much as I've wanted to, I haven't had enough free time this year to finish it off. (Combined hours to finish DA:O and the expansion is, apparently, around 80 hours. Which means I'd need at least a week that could be considered "free time" to finish it off.) That'll be the first game I load once my Honours thesis has been officially submitted, though.

And yes... I've just found out that Portal gets a lot more complicated *very* quickly! I think I'm up to stage 15 or 16, and I've gotten temporarily stuck a few times already. It's amazing how many different puzzles they can come up with based on the simple notion of having portals. It's really not a complicated game, as far as what the player can do. But figuring out what you actually need to do, especially on a level that involves a trick you've never had to do before... Yeah.

It hurts my brain, but in a good way. :tongue

Maggie Maxwell
06-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Yeah, Portal 1 is a relatively short game. Luckily for you, Portal 2 has been out for a while and should be a good price. :)

...Yeah, just checked, Portal 2 is currently $5 on the sale.

becomingabigail
06-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Did anyone ever play City of Heroes back in the day? Think it went offline in 2011

be frank
06-29-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm not much of a game player these days, but I'm gonna poke my head in here to say that the song at the end of Portal is one of the catchiest freaking songs of all time.

The game's good too (love problem-solving games), but the song is the star IMO. :)

Cliff Face
07-01-2016, 02:27 PM
In Portal, I got a bit stuck on Stage 16 or 17. I can't remember why, though. (I'm terrible at puzzle games, even if I enjoy them, lol. XD )

Ahahaahaha... *cries* The one I'm stuck on is stage 16, as it happens. Some of the recent ones were difficult (number 14 required some creative thinking), but number 16 is just mean. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but it's resisted my attempts for a solid 45 minutes or so, just on this one stage. Ack! (Please, though - nobody tell me how to do it! I'm either a masochist or someone who'd rather avoid spoilers even if it means dying repeatedly. Or both. :tongue)

However, I just played the prologue of Bayonetta. Egads this game is fun! And not actually that difficult to learn the basics. This is definitely my sort of game. A leather-clad woman kicking the crap out of fantasy enemies in a fast-paced, though controllable, way, all while not taking itself too seriously? Yes please!

(A long time ago, I created a thread here in Games, asking people for XBox360 game recommendations, and someone mentioned Bayonetta. I can't recall who that was right now, but if you're reading this, then thank you. I think I've found my new stress-release game for when university is getting a bit much. :))

Tamlyn
07-02-2016, 07:38 AM
I love Portal, but I've played it too much. I recently redid the series and it didn't work so well. Portal didn't require any thought (not helped by having been doing the challenge versions) and when I didn't have to think about the puzzles I realised there was so much less of the corners to explore and the dialogue than I remember. Portal 2 went a little better because the atmosphere is much richer and I did have to stop and think a few times. Portal Stories: Mel (a fan addon) is still amazing, especially since I did it advanced rather than story mode.

Yet this talk makes me want to go play again even though I know I'll have the same problem >> I'm so glad it's still actually puzzling and awesome for new players. I haven't done much in the way of coop or community chambers in Portal 2; maybe I should do that to get my fix.

Otherwise I've been playing my first high chaos Dishonored run. I find the gameplay/etc much more interesting sneaky (if I want to do kill things in extravagantly bloody fashion, I can play pretty much any other game on the market) but I'm enjoying seeing the differences. And I'm actually being nicer to half the assassination targets by killing them rather than dooming them to years of painful torture THEN death >>

So many games, so little time.

Cliff Face
07-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I could see how once you've already played Portal, it'd become less interesting pretty quickly.

In other news, I picked up Darksiders and Darksiders II for the XBox 360 yesterday... I seem to have gone on a game-buying spree all of a sudden. I mean, I already have so many yet to be played that it'd take about a year to get through them all. But DS and DS2 were both sitting next to each other in the store, at a low price due to being second-hand copies, and then half price discount on top of that.

So I totally feel you on the "So many games, so little time" thing. :)

Latina Bunny
07-02-2016, 11:09 PM
Oh, man, Dishonored. I have mixed feelings about it, lol...

It is a good game and all, and I tried playing it several times.

However, I couldn't get really get deep into it because A) I was terrified of those sick, moaning diseased people (I hate anything the reminds me of zombies!), and B) I disliked being punished by the morality/chaos thing.

I hate stealth approaches, and I love the powers (some of which I couldn't use because of their deadiness), but I often felt I was being punished by the game if I don't do the whole non-lethal approach thing.

All of that stress wore down on me, and ended up killing most of my joy after the first few stages. :(

Matt T.
07-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Oh, man, Dishonored. I have mixed feelings about it, lol...

It is a good game and all, and I tried playing it several times.

However, I couldn't get really get deep into it because A) I was terrified of those sick, moaning diseased people (I hate anything the reminds me of zombies!), and B) I disliked being punished by the morality/chaos thing.

I hate stealth approaches, and I love the powers (some of which I couldn't use because of their deadiness), but I often felt I was being punished by the game if I don't do the whole non-lethal approach thing.

All of that stress wore down on me, and ended up killing most of my joy after the first few stages. :(

I agree with you 100% about the morality system. It's stupidly binary, and I would argue strongly that the game isn't nearly as fun when you're having to play with one hand tied behind your back. So many of Corvo's best powers are deadly in nature.

I think what irritated me the most about it is that the game assumes that Corvo only kills because he is a psychopath or that he enjoys the killing itself. It wouldn't be hard for him to justify his actions as being necessary, as he is fighting in the service of a larger good, but the game simply assumes that he's either a goodie-two-shoes or a murdering lunatic.

I quickly just said screw it and killed everyone. It messes up the story, as the game paints you as a monster, a lot of the other characters start acting cartoonish, and the ending is terrible, but it makes the overall game much more enjoyable to play.

Latina Bunny
07-03-2016, 01:49 AM
Yup. Pretty much. No gray areas, really. (I mean, I tried to do low-chaos by killing a tiny number of peeps per level, but it still felt really restricting at times.)

I love magic powers and all sorts of toys in many games, but I dislike it when any story or game mechanic tries to restrict me from using said selling points of said games. What's the point of getting all of those cool powers/toys? :P

And it's not just story that restricted me. I heard that the game also throws more diseased people your way in a lethal ("chaos") run. It sounded like the second game may be doing the same, but with corpses being infected by bloodflies or something this time, instead of being infected by rats. So, definitely not getting the sequel, either, lol. :P

I'm trying out this casual indie card-based adventure game called Card City Nights. The rules are pretty easy, even to me (someone who's not at all good with strategy), though obviously it takes a bit of strategy to figure out and organize the card deck, so that you can have efficient number of combos that can work well together. The cards have effects, too, so that adds a bit of complexity to it. Cute cartoony graphics.

Ah, nostalgia. Reminds me when my siblings and I used to collect Pokemon, Digimon, YuGiOh, and Zatchbell card games. We played Pokemon the most. I didn't really play much of the actual card games outside of maybe some Pokemon; I just collected my favorite characters/monsters and whatever looked cute/handsome/cool. :)

I'm also planning to continue playing some more Skyrim one of these days again. :D

The hardest part of Skyrim is trying to decide which quest to do first, lol! XD Love, love, love Skyrim and the other Elder Scrolls games (Oblivion, Morrowind) so, so much. :heart::heart::heart:

Tamlyn
07-03-2016, 04:25 AM
While the morality is definitely a little too black/white in the game, I'm the opposite of both of you - I love the stealth play. It's my type of game and I was so happy to find it. I find murdering everyone boring, and the challenge of working around the easy answers fun.

I didn't see the game as assuming either rampaging lunatic or goodie-two-shoes. Maybe this becomes more evident by the end. It makes sense to me if there are more bodies, there are more rats, and it has nothing to do with being a monster. I've read enough on the game to know how opposite the opinions are though. People generally hate one of the two endings and one of the two gameplay options. I have some issues with the story but not enough to dint my enjoyment of the game :D

At the moment I'm actually disappointed how few changes there are in high chaos, but I'm coming up to the final levels now and I understand there will be more. I've been leaving a bloodbath in my wake, and all it's really done so far is make Emily draw darker pictures and a couple of weepers appear. It's been a while since I did my original stealth run though so I could be a little vague on what's different :)

I got Dishonored on the strength of the Dishonored 2 trailer so I will definitely be getting that.

Latina Bunny
07-03-2016, 05:35 AM
^I think it comes down to different playstyles and how you want your endings and challenges. :)

Me? When I play video games, while I usually tend to be "good", I can play aggressively and kill anyone who threatens my virtual life, lol.

I play more aggressive/scrappy fighter characters (with some magic powers or long range guns, depending on the setting of the game).

I don't usually play stealth. I'll only play stealth if it's only for a stage or two, and if I really had to, or, if the stealth parts are mostly easy. (Like, say, in Sly Cooper games, for example).

Stealth games like the Thief series would be absolute torture for me. I just hate stealth gameplay, for the most part.

I'm not good at keeping it up for long. I always end up getting spotted eventually, lol. :P

Or sometimes, the suspense and tedious/slow progress gets to me, and makes me a bit "stir-crazy", so I just have to get that anxiety out of my system somehow.

I think I could have suffered the non-lethal gameplay of Dishonored for more levels, if it wasn't for those Weepers (and limited non-lethal ammo).

Jeez, I just hate those darned Weepers (those the diseased moaning zombie peeps?) so freaking much, lol. I feel soo frustrated in trying not to kill those creepy people. *shudders*

I jumped-scared so bad when I first heard a Weeper-thing moaning from a distance in that one Hub town-place. XD (I didn't know about them before playing the game.)

And then they wanted me to go down some tunnel where a few of those things were located. *weeps* ;_;

(I passed that one mission where I had to kidnap some lady at a party, or something. I was in the mission right after, climbing some Tower or whatever.)

Cliff Face
07-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Yeah, stealth isn't one of my strengths either. Which means I'd also probably hate playing Thief, regardless of actual game quality. The only exceptions I can think of are FPS games such as Goldeneye or Perfect Dark for the N64, where occasionally it was prudent to sneak up on people rather than just run around shooting wildly. Like, on some of the later missions on a harder difficulty... Taking someone out by stealth means you're much more likely to survive the mission (especially if there's an alarm that might go off, summoning dozens of enemies!).

But then, in those games, stealth was a fairly minor aspect.

Matt T.
07-11-2016, 11:44 PM
I pre-ordered Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for PC yesterday. I really loved Human Revolution, so I'm hoping this one is good too. The graphics look incredible, and I can't wait to see what improvements they've made over HR.

I usually don't pre-order games, but I made an exception for this one because I got a good deal on it and I'm pretty confident it'll be worth it.

Latina Bunny
07-11-2016, 11:57 PM
Still playing games on and off.

I haven't been in a game playing mood lately.

I'm still playing Pokemon White and Inazuma Eleven 2.

Inazuma Eleven is like Pokemon and Shin Megami Tensei games, in terms of collecting and training elemental warriors, and they even have similar elemental weakness stuff.

Inazuma Eleven games have real-time-based soccer action added, so that's why it's been keeping my interest more than Pokemon has lately.

Plus, they're not monsters/pets, but human soccer players. I love the characters. :)

I just have a strong preference for human/humanoid characters over creature monster pets things. :P

In a later IE game, you can even use some scifi tech to temporarily fuse Inazuma Eleven players (like Dragon Ball Z anime characters do) in order to create stronger players for a limited time.

Just like Pokemon, Inazuma Eleven franchise also have an anime and manga series. The games sort of follow the anime closely.

Because of this, I just love the IE characters. (Most of my avatars are fanart of them.)

BTW, The company that does those Inazuma games also created the Professor Layton and Yo-Kai Watch franchises.

Matt T.
07-13-2016, 08:32 AM
Inazuma Eleven is like Pokemon and Shin Megami Tensei games, in terms of collecting and training elemental warriors, and they even have similar elemental weakness stuff.

Have you had a chance to play any of the Shin Megami Tensei games? I was really bad about finishing them, but I played a bunch of them in my teens. Digital Devil Saga, Devil Survivor, Persona... I really loved the unique take they brought to the JRPG genre. I think the only part of the series that I'm really interested in anymore is Persona, but I'm always impressed when I see stuff about the other games in the SMT series.

Sketti
08-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Another shoutout for Dragon Age and Portal.

I pretty much much played DA: Origins exclusively for a whole year, barely dipped into any other game, that's how much it grabbed me :P I only really started playing something else when I got... Dragon Age 2 :P I didn't love it the way I did Origins but it's still in my faves and then Inquisition... All the DA, all the time!

Mass Effect is also absolutely brilliant. I think I could probably be happy if I were stuck on an island with a PC and just these two series, actually...

Portal 1 is a very fun little game, yeah, the puzzles lose a bit in replay but I replay for atmosphere and GLaDOS's mix of real twistedness and childlike bullying. She cracks me up. Portal 2 added a good plot and story progression on top so that's awesome.

I also enjoy the Dead Space series, I'm still on DS2. I had to pause playing because I moved out and put my stuff into storage and now I only have my iPad. I am a big fan of the Horror Survival genre. Alien: Isolation is fantastic. I was still on my first play through (on hard as recommended) and about halfway through the game but... Dang... It is terrifying and exhilarating. I had also started playing Amnesia: Dark Descent and Outlast and Alan Wake but hadn't gotten very far yet.

I ocassionally play DOTA though I get exasperated by the immaturity of a lot of players and it's also quite repetitive. All battle arena type of games seem repetitive to me. Most FPS too though. I don't really go for more combat-less story types of games, I guess. Not that Dead Space has loads of Roy elements but the story and atmosphere make up for it, in my mind.

Megann
08-09-2016, 06:46 PM
I've been playing a lot of Viscera: Cleanup Detail It's a hilarious, addictive and strangely relaxing game.

Helix Denby
08-09-2016, 10:10 PM
I've been playing the fan remake of Metroid 2. The creators were hit with a cease and desist from Nintendo but they did manage to post the free-to-download game on their site for a few hours before that happened. For anyone who is a fan of the series I suggest getting it. While the official release was taken down I'm sure there's a reddit out there with a link on where to download.

I spent the last few months going through the Dark Souls series. I think that was the bulk of my gaming from January to now. I found 2 pretty weak overall, but 1 and 3 were great. 3 is turning into an all-time favorite with its weapon customization, huge maps and active PvP scene.

Frankie007
08-09-2016, 10:27 PM
i like playing Kingdom Hearts (the whole series), the Sims, Sim City, both Torchlight games
but these days i mostly play Cities Skylines and Pokemon Go...Lol

Latina Bunny
08-14-2016, 07:41 PM
FIFA 16! Women's soccer teams FTW!!! :D

Still learning the ropes for it, lol. I'm not great at it, being an uncoordinated noob, but I am still enjoying it.

I was trying to decide between FIFA 16 and PES 16, since PED 16 supposedly had better/realistic gameplay, but the Women's team option in FIFA 16 was a huge draw for me. :)

Plus, I'm just used to EA games.

I'm doing lots of tutorial training and career mode.

I played a little bit of women's soccer as USA team, but I definitely need more practice with these controls, lol. :P

(I'm very patriotic, so I will usually root for USA in most sports, though I don't mind watching matches with other countries. I don't care about the background scandals/controversies/gossip surrounding the teams, either. I watch the sports for the sports. :P )

Helix Denby
08-20-2016, 08:37 PM
My current obsession is the Metal Gear Solid series. I love it, even with the often tortuously long cutscenes. The whole thing feels so very indebted to its medium, and unlike other series that often focus on cinematics, MGS never loses its sense of fun. It always has the intricately-designed gameplay to back up its bloated theatrics.

Latina Bunny
08-21-2016, 05:02 PM
OMG, so many games coming out this year!! Pokemon Sun/Moon, Yo-Kai Watch 2, another Story of Seasons (Harvest Moon), the ne Shantae game (Kickstarter project), Shin Megami Tensei Apocalypse, Tomb Raider sequel for PS4, Kingdom Hearts stuff, Skyrim for PS4, and more!! :D

Oh, oh! I hope another Inazuma Eleven game comes out in Europe again, so I can import it!!! :D I :heart: this series sooo much!)

Can't wait for all of these games! :D So hard to choose! I've preordered Pokemon Sun (my sister gets Moon) already.