PDA

View Full Version : Diablo III

Bartholomew
04-09-2009, 01:40 AM
No Potions.

Discuss.

Zoombie
04-09-2009, 02:02 AM
You can play as any class and be female now!

I have two reasons why I like this

One is very hetero and male: If I'm going to be looking at a character's ass for 1000 hours of game, I want to be looking at a girl's ass.

Reason two?

I want to be a girl sometimes, and games are nothing if not playing something you are not.

DwayneA
04-09-2009, 02:06 AM
I have the first two games and both expansion packs. Looking forward to this one too although I'll have to get a better computer to run it.

mscelina
04-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Is it out? I saw the prototype for it on the Blizzard website.

Cranky
04-09-2009, 02:07 AM
I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this game. I just hope that our compy is up to it!

Bartholomew
04-09-2009, 02:25 AM
I'm uncomfortable with the no potion arrangement.

mscelina
04-09-2009, 02:28 AM
I'm uncomfortable that no one will tell me when it's coming out!

Zoombie
04-09-2009, 02:28 AM
There will be nothing to mash frantically while your health drops...

whistlelock
04-09-2009, 02:37 AM
This game is so gonna rock.

Cath
04-09-2009, 03:36 AM
This game is so gonna rock.
I hope so! I've been let down before tho, so not holding my breath.

whistlelock
04-09-2009, 05:13 AM
It's Blizzard, have they ever put out a bad game?

SPMiller
04-09-2009, 01:57 PM
I've been waiting for D3 since LoD. Bring it on.

Not too worried about the lack of potions, if it turns out that way. They will likely have adjusted gameplay to make them less necessary. But then, consider the case where even rejuvs didn't help:

/teleports near pack of mobs
/casts forb or hammers
/dies

Damn fire-enchanted mobs...

Elidibus
04-09-2009, 02:16 PM
I've been waiting for D3 since LoD. Bring it on.

Not too worried about the lack of potions, if it turns out that way. They will likely have adjusted gameplay to make them less necessary. But then, consider the case where even rejuvs didn't help:

/teleports near pack of mobs
/casts forb or hammers
/dies

Damn fire-enchanted mobs...

Don't forget all those lovable MS/LE mobs. So much as look at them and your screen will fill up with enough charged bolts to lag an alienware machine.

Ok, so not really. Kinda sucks that there won't be any potions. Of course, I'm happy that my end boss drops won't be potions.

Fun fact! While I was Mf'ing a few years ago on Hell Mephy, he dropped a minor health potion. I looked up a drop table for him and it turned out that's the rarest thing he can drop. I believe a Shako was almost 100 times more likely to drop than that minor health pot.

I drank it, hoping I would get some epic lewtz. But all I got on the next run was my third "The Ward" Gothic shield.

On the plus side, that female sorceress looks really cute! Can't wait for D3!

Bartholomew
04-09-2009, 11:39 PM
I almost never ran NM bosses. I went straight to Hell -- in 1.10 the mobs dropped better rares than most of the uniques that one could reasonably find in NM.

brokenfingers
04-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Huh?

robeiae
04-10-2009, 12:01 AM
I am concerned. It worries me greatly that a game I have been waiting for is also wanted by some of the people in this thread. You know who you are.

Cranky
04-10-2009, 02:31 AM
I am concerned. It worries me greatly that a game I have been waiting for is also wanted by some of the people in this thread. You know who you are.

Deal with it, Robovowels. :D

Abraham
04-15-2009, 01:49 AM
StarCraft II is where its at, though the proposed episode structure worries me (basically each race campaign will be an expansion pack).

Not that I won't be playing Diablo III too.

Zoombie
04-15-2009, 03:40 AM
I *think* that each race's campaign is going to be long as all THREE race's campaigns added together from the first Star Craft.

And, really, would we want an epic story of 3 games crammed into one?

Abraham
04-16-2009, 09:31 PM
I *think* that each race's campaign is going to be long as all THREE race's campaigns added together from the first Star Craft.

And, really, would we want an epic story of 3 games crammed into one?

It's true that a huge, huge epic storyline from each race would be awesome. It's just irksome to think it's going to end being like buying three games. I guess I'm just a cheap bastard.

Zoombie
04-17-2009, 02:57 AM
We still don't know the pricing range...they might all add new units and shit. Or they might only be 10 dollars, a-la "Episode One" and "Episode Two" for HL2.

So, don't despair just yet.

K. Taylor
04-17-2009, 04:32 AM
Ah, Diablo.......I once played 27 hours of Diablo 2, straight. No breaks for anything. I couldn't move my hand after that. LOL A group of us used to play on the LAN. I was never a gamer girl, but my boyfriend got me on the Blizzard games.

They keep trying to pull me into WoW, but I won't go. :D His server has way too many obnoxious 12 year olds.

I can see it.....I'll watch him play D3 and get sucked into the storyline, and then I'll be tempted to join.......but I'll be saved by my computer being too outdated to play. Ha!

Blizzard never keeps a game deadline, so until they say it's shipping, don't stress about a release date. You'll just be disappointed. :P

Zoombie
04-18-2009, 10:50 PM
I started playing D2 again...and its pretty damn awesome!

Hack hack slash hack bash ax stab kill DEATH!

Ambrosia
04-19-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm uncomfortable that no one will tell me when it's coming out!"It's too early to estimate Diablo III's release date."

That is from the official Blizzard Diablo III website.

Lhun
04-19-2009, 06:06 PM
It's Blizzard, have they ever put out a bad game?Hell yes. All Blizzard RTS suck, those guys couldn't program a decent user interface if their lives depended on it.
Luckily, of the only two game ideas Blizzard ever had, Diablo really rocks. I wasted unbelievably huge numbers of hours on D2 (made it into ladder once in 1.10 with a Trapssin) can't wait to sacrifice my sleep to D3!

Zoombie
04-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Wow, then the entire nation of South Korea must have really low standards when it comes to their national passtime...

Lhun
04-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Wow, then the entire nation of South Korea must have really low standards when it comes to their national passtime...You can't imagine how hard it was to resist the totally obvious setup even for the single minute i did, before pointing out that Meyer and Plagiarini should prove beyond all reasonable doubt that popularity is never an accurate measure for anything besides what people like.
But seriously, not to put blizzard down, their customer service and quality control are excellent, which deserves double price since both are things that don't earn instant return on investement. (which is the reason companies like atarigrames don't bother with them)
But they don't exactly win points for creativity. Between Diablo and Warcraft they've pretty much exhausted their creative capacity, producing nothing more than rehash upon rehash of one of the two concepts, even though people seem to think the Blizzard guys can walk on water.
Not to mention that really, seriously, the interface of all their RTS are crap. Check out SupCom to see what a modern RTS should look like. Blizzard manages to take most of the strategy aspect out of the games by turning them into arcade-style klickfests where speed and accuracy with your mouse are far more important than clever planning. Last time i checked, in strategy games like chess the dexterity with which you move the pieces is not supposed to be a deciding factor. And i don't say that because i'm too clumsy for them. :p I like fast-paced reaction games, but when i want that i play a shooter. Heck, i even played StarCraft when it came out. A lot. But since then i've seen a lot of examples of much, much better strategy games and moved on. And nothing i've seen in WarCraft 3 suggest that Blizzard is going to do any better in StarCraft 2.

Zoombie
04-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Yeeeeeeeeah, Starcraft 2 really looks re-hashy.

But...by SupCom's interface, PLEASE tell me you mean the expansion pack's minimal interface!

Please!

Cause SupCom's out of the box interface was about as well designed as a submarine made out of breasd.

The expansion pack's interface? Now *that* was a kickass interface.

Ya know, I think I might fish that game out of the closet and play some more...

SPMiller
04-20-2009, 12:03 AM
World of Warcraft is the best strategy/tactics game Blizzard ever developed.

Why?

Because the enforced 1-1.5 sec cooldown between abilities eliminates the advantage of click/twitch skill and emphasizes, at the very least, short-term planning.

Lhun
04-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Yeeeeeeeeah, Starcraft 2 really looks re-hashy.Might not look that way, but at first look didn't look like a StarCraft clone either, yet it was.

But...by SupCom's interface, PLEASE tell me you mean the expansion pack's minimal interface!

Please!

Cause SupCom's out of the box interface was about as well designed as a submarine made out of breasd.I came to that game pretty late, so i don't know what it looks like in its first installment. But it's not only the GUI, it's the whole handling. The interface of a strategy game should make it as easy as possible to get your units to do what you want, not create an additional challenge. I mean, limited numbers of units per hotkey in blizzard games? WTF? Didn't they arrive in our century yet? And bloody special abilities that need to be activated manually? Hell, blizzard even mocks you by making some of those trigger automatically.
I don't mind so much the RPG aspects of single units with special abilities often deciding battles. That's ok for a strategy game, but i do mind that the handling of those units turns the game into a dexterity challenge. Being able to juggle with hotkeys and special ability buttons faster than your opponent can be a lot more important than having the better strategy and composition of units.

Uncarved
04-21-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm so waiting on this game, it is going to rock and rock hard.

Thankfully I have Runes of Magic (http://www.suite101.com/blog/tinasamuels/spotlight_on_runes_of_magic) to keep me busy between now and then, I may even tire of it by the time D3 comes out.

samoht9
04-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Can't wait for D3 although lack of potions does bother me a bit. I am sure there is a reason for it though.

With Starcraft 2 I was really really looking forward to that game. I still remember linking up with buddies on a standard 56k modem to play all night online. I do have to say however after playing Dawn of War 2 I don't know. Starcraft 2 already seems to pale in comparison to me, but we'll have to wait til it's out.

Also not having all missions in the game when I buy it irks me to no end. I hate micro transactions.

aadams73
06-04-2009, 04:34 AM
I almost never ran NM bosses. I went straight to Hell -- in 1.10 the mobs dropped better rares than most of the uniques that one could reasonably find in NM.

I know, right? I used to get to Hell as fast as I possibly could. Then I'd mule all my neat stuff out.

Marcus
06-27-2009, 05:06 AM
I enjoyed the hell out of the item hack mod... I always wanted an auto-click mouse once i discovered Diablo...

No potions will defiantly make the game different... they better have some Major leach gear.. Its going to slow the pace of the game down considerably too... hopefully not too much... I envision the game being similar to sacred and sacred2.... just a guess though...

LOG
07-25-2009, 08:53 PM
You can play as any class and be female now!

I have two reasons why I like this

One is very hetero and male: If I'm going to be looking at a character's ass for 1000 hours of game, I want to be looking at a girl's ass.

Reason two?

I want to be a girl sometimes, and games are nothing if not playing something you are not.
Those are sorta the reasons that my only level 80 on WoW is female >.>
I never played Diablo or Diablo 2. Not sure I like the way Diablo 3 looks. It's an RTS view for an RPG *shrugs* Least the video I saw had an RTS view.

You can't potion mash in Witcher, or else you die horribly 0.0

K. Andrew Smith
07-30-2009, 03:57 AM
I buy every game that Blizzard puts out, because every single one is fantastically fun. Diablo 1 & 2 are the epitome of addicting. From the moment Diablo 3 was announced, I've been waiting for it with bated breath.

Yeah, I'm kind of excited.

God, I'm such a geek.

SPMiller
07-30-2009, 06:04 PM
The Diablo games have nothing to do with RPGs except, perhaps, inventory and equipment management. They're action games to the core with a veneer of fantasy tropes. Hell, it might as well be a roguelike.

That said, this is why I love Blizzard: "In a press conference following the reveal, the developer confirmed PC and Mac platforms, saying it had "no plans" for console versions, [...]"

Thanks for staying strong, Blizzard.

LOG
07-09-2010, 01:46 AM
ROFL (http://twitter.com/Diablo/status/17749867761)
Thread's been dead for nearly a year.

LOG
08-18-2010, 07:49 AM
OMG, actual new info at Gamecom. (http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/gamescom-beginning-of-the-info-ramp/)

LauraAnnSwanson
08-18-2010, 08:11 AM
I took my husband to Blizzcon for our anniversary last year, and we spent most of our time demoing cataclysm and diablo III. I never played them before, but he was in geek overload... lol

efkelley
08-19-2010, 02:01 AM
I've learned to just Let Blizzard Be Blizzard. They'll get it out when it's done. They're one of the few highly respectable game companies that pushes back at their publishers.

LOG
08-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Info revealed at Gamecom:

New crafting system (The Artisan System (http://pc.ign.com/articles/111/1113849p1.html))
Specializing Artisans at top level. However, going down one specialization path will not eliminate any other specialization path.
New inventory layout
Hardcore mode officially confirmed
Town Portals officially gone
No more instability for the wizard. Her resource system is now called "Arcane Power". Set amount (can't increase max) but regens very quickly.
Monk's energy source is called "Spirit". Combo moves generate spirit which is used for non-combo moves.
Gems will be very similar to the gems in D2
Six different equipment slots can be socketed and it does not matter the quality of the item.
Talisman is still in the game and will be revealed "soon"
Armor dyes are officially in the game. There are about 15 different colors.
Automatching system to find similar players at the same level doing the same quests.
There will be no grinding achievements like kill 1,000,000 of this monster
Jay Wilson thinks that one expansion will probably not be enough and they will make more content as long as they still have something to tell.
Leah is Deckard Cain's adopted daughter who will act on Cain's behalf on a lot of occasions.
Tyreal is a very big focus for Diablo III
Would not comment about fighting Heaven...
There are 4 acts in the game.
Scroll of wealth allows players to sell items without going to town.
Waypoints are a mximum of 10mins of gameplay away from each other.

Lhun
08-23-2010, 02:58 AM
I want to know about the last character class already. It's been ages since a roguelike with an actually playable archer class (since D2 pretty much). Hell, it's rare enough in RPGs of any kind, and i'll be mad as hell if Blizzard doesn't put one in D3.

Peoplesleep
08-28-2010, 03:04 PM
I never really got into D2, but maybe 3 will click with me.
At least I have time to purchase a better computer until then.

LOG
10-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Fifth class: Demon Hunter (http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/characters/demonhunter.xml)

Chick's got dual crossbows.

I don't think the trailer's (http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/movies/demonhunter.xml)gonna win them any awards for...anything, anytime soon.

Lhun
10-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Awesome! Dual-wielding crossbows is stupid as hell, but at least i'll get my ranger character. I was afraid there'd be none after all those mage-meelee hybrids.

LOG
02-22-2011, 05:39 AM
It's got a "maybe" release in 2011 from Blizzard. (http://www.examiner.com/pc-game-in-minneapolis/2011-blizzard-starcraft-and-diablo-releases-maybe)

Alexandermerow
04-03-2011, 03:22 PM
I`m also looking forward to play it, but my computer will need an update:) The old Diablo games are still great, but my job steals my precious time to play computer games. Damn! I`m getting old...

Matthew Colville
04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
It's got a "maybe" release in 2011 from Blizzard. (http://www.examiner.com/pc-game-in-minneapolis/2011-blizzard-starcraft-and-diablo-releases-maybe)

I think those guys forget that it's already April.

I know people on that game and none of them seem to think the game's in danger of being done anytime soon.

LOG
04-04-2011, 11:20 PM
They got eight months.

LOG
04-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I thought this was cool. (http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/awesome-fanmade-diablo-iii-windows-7-theme/)
Though I don't have Windows 7 yet, haven't seen a good enough reason to bother changing yet.

utesfanami
04-26-2011, 06:33 AM
I built my current computer and bought my wife a laptop so we could play starcraft 2 and diablo together.

C.bronco
04-26-2011, 06:34 AM
I thought this would be a discussion about III. :)

Her Dark Star
04-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Well given the lack of new info about the game there isn't really that much to discuss lol.
I like the sound of a lot of the game. I've got faith that blizzard will deliver something fun, neither 1 or 2 really had that much to recommend it in terms of depth and minimal story, but somehow they were both an awful lot of fun and my best mate and I spent many, many hours on it.

LOG
04-30-2011, 11:38 PM
I built my current computer and bought my wife a laptop so we could play starcraft 2 and diablo together.

You build a computer, and then get your wife a laptop, in order to play together...hmmmmm, not sure what to make of that. :P

LOG
09-07-2011, 09:32 PM
This is either awesome, a joke, or the freakiest coincidence via wrong translation I've ever seen. (http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/09/pony-references-in-diablo-3-secret.html)

LOG
09-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Beta is live. (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/3542796#blog)

LOG
12-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Apparently I'm in the Diablo III beta but no one decided to inform me of this. -_-
The only reason I know is because I was browsing through my Battle.net account.

efkelley
12-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Ha! Well, let us know how it is. :)

LOG
12-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Well the DL file was about 3 GB.

First impression = errors.
Some kind of unexpected side effect from a recent update has a lot fo people unable to log in.

I guess I'll go play more Minecraf, or write, or something.

efkelley
12-11-2011, 04:15 AM
Well, I guess that's why it's a beta. Good plan on the writing. Let us know how it goes IF you get in. :)

LOG
12-11-2011, 05:50 AM
Got in once.
Turns out the error I'm getting that prevents me from logging in is a result of them recently limiting server population.

TL;DR
Servers are full.

Even when I got in the gameplay was laggy, which I'm hoping is a result of either the full server or my connection was iffy for awhile.
I should be blasting past the game requirements.

SirTysonius
12-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Tyson want to be Barbarian!
Tyson like smash things!

efkelley
12-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Bah. This whole 'sell shit for real money' business is making them give what should be a single-player game MMO-level difficulties. That's annoying.

LOG
12-12-2011, 02:34 AM
Bah. This whole 'sell shit for real money' business is making them give what should be a single-player game MMO-level difficulties. That's annoying.
In the development of the game?

efkelley
12-12-2011, 04:12 AM
Yep. You're required to have an active internet connection while playing. This is to preserve database integrity so that you can't hack the game and produce ten thousand Epic Swords of KillzYerFace to sell for real cash. I bet it's not as complicated as a full-on MMO where you're getting a lot more data from the servers, but you can be sure that every item has a unique ID number on file.

LOG
12-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Yeah, unlike SC2, if you get D/Ced for w/e reason in D3 you're kicked off.

LOG
12-13-2011, 01:41 AM
K then, I beat the D3 beta by killing the Skeleton King.
Wasn't very long, only 4 "quests" if you would.
I think it's either still in the 1st act, or the end of it.

efkelley
12-13-2011, 04:24 AM
Total playtime?

LOG
12-13-2011, 07:55 AM
I didn't keep a record, but probably around ten hours.

SirTysonius
12-13-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm very excited about this game.
Since my brother is on the other side of the country I suggested we play this together.

His responce: Dude, I'm going to be playing with everyone on the internet!

K. Taylor
03-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Release date: May 15th, 2012.

Her Dark Star
03-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Kind of excited, it's difficult to see how the hack and slash gameplay will stand up to modern gaming. Mostly I'm scared though, if it's good I'm going to lose many, many hours to it...

DJMaxwell
03-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Part of me is looking forward to this while the rest of me is screaming that I shouldn't even bother. In Diablo II there were always people who would sell the rarest stuff for real money on Ebay and such, but then there were others who wouldn't do that simply because they had, you know, morals, so it was possible to get SoJs even if you weren't willing to pay real money for it. In this one Blizzard is making a real-money auction system to run parallel to the in-game-money auction system, and that pisses me off. For the rarest stuff in the game, I can't see ANYONE selling for in-game money now.

efkelley
03-21-2012, 11:46 PM
They're eliminating the black market, effectively. I think it's incredibly smart, but I'm really unhappy about the required internet connection.

I'm not sure how the market will shake out. I agree that if I find a big shiny weapon I'm more likely to try for the real cash rather than game currency.

DJMaxwell
03-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Trying to capitalize on the same spend-more-get-more concept that pushes mediocre Korean MMOs into the gaming market by the hundreds is smart, sure, but I hate them for doing it all the same. I get that they need cash to run their servers but I'd honestly be perfectly happy paying a small monthly fee (even though it's not an MMO) in return for them removing that bloody real-money-auction option. They claimed that putting it in was fulfilling the wishes of the playerbase, but how many people in this economy, really, wanted to have to pay real-life money for Diablo III items?

defcon6000
04-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Anyone else hear about the open beta (http://reviews.cnet.com/marketplace/2740-9995_7-82841.html) they're having this weekend? Apparently the servers may still be capped, but all the articles I've read on it were 8 or more hours old. Hoping they've fixed it.

Fallen Angel
04-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Okay, time to crash this party.

First, current Bilzzard is not classic Blizz. Those that made Diablo II and the original are not the same people who are working at blizzard now.

Second, the art direction is similar to WoW.

Third, remember how they split Starcraft II into three games? Same here... I expect they will do something to increase how much has to be spent on Diablo III. (Maybe sell each act separately?) Oh wait, you there is a 'real money auction house' in the game world now.

defcon6000
04-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Well, got a brief chance to play the beta. Servers seem to be down/busy again. Tried the Witch Doctor class, which was fun, but mostly hack 'n slash. All I do is click my mouse button or click on things to make them explode. Maybe the story develops later on.

The environments are neat, tho. I like that there's an atmosphere to the place and you can interact with things. Buuuuut, I don't think it's worth my money.

LOG
04-22-2012, 12:10 AM
There are very long stretches of dungeon-crawling between story development.

defcon6000
04-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I don't think 10 levels is much for a beta, considering how quickly you plow through those levels.

And does it annoy anyone else that the demon hunter can duel-weld crossbows? That's...impossible. They'd at least need four arms.

Dommo
04-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Honestly, the beta has made me want to do one thing. Buy torchlight 2.

They dumbed down diablo 3 so much, that is just isn't that fun to play. No character customization at all (e.g. no stat picking, no actual decisions in terms of skills), shitty writing (e.g. for some reason everyone seems to be completely oblivious to the crap that happened in the previous games), and the graphics don't fit the diablo type game (it looks a lot like torchlight/wow, rather than the classic gothic look in D2). This is a game that looks like it needs another year in development.

efkelley
04-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Kind of with Dommo on this one.

I don't mind the lower number of class skills since you can't use them all at the same time. Makes skill selection at least somewhat tactical. But, on all other points, I must agree. Especially the writing. Blizzard has never been stellar in that department, and they're earning no marks with this title.

fourlittlebees
04-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Are they really ready for next month release? Was anyone else playing Demon Hunter? Had a not-ready-for-primetime feel.

Dommo
04-25-2012, 08:58 AM
I actually thought the plot/writing in diablo 2 was pretty well done. It was dark, and in some ways actually had a kind of realistic feel to it (as hard as that is to believe). Seriously, I could have done a better job, especially with the 10 years it took to get the game made.

It just doesn't feel like a diablo game at all, and that's really why I'm disappointed.

Romantic Heretic
05-16-2012, 11:11 PM
So, having very fond memories of both Diablo and Diablo II, I bought III last night.

It's brought those fond memories back. I'm having tons of fun playing it. The way skills are used is a bit different but, perhaps, easier to use.

I like the crafting. It's far simpler than it is in the only other game with crafting I've played, which is NWN 2. In that game I never crafted as it required stuff that was hard to obtain and for the money you had to spend the results weren't worth it. In DIII it's both easy, affordable and rewarding.

The graphics are much improved. Blizzard took good advantage of the upgrades in graphics cards. The atmosphere of the game is enhanced through this.

The companions are improved, I think. It's been so long I hardly remember how they work in DII. I do recall I mostly used them as meat shields and never used any save the one I got near the beginning. The new companions are discovered while you play. They also have multiple skills they can bring to bear. They're more than just meat shields/fire support now.

I don't mind that an internet connection is needed to play. I might even try my hand at multi-player some day. Although I've read about the servers overloading and other errors I had no problems. I've no intention of using the auction house.

I've just one character so far; a monk. I'll admit I was a bit disappointed at first. He was essentially just a fighter. I even had him equipped with a sword and shield. A good sword and shield, but still. Once I started finding equipment meant for a monk and his better skills became available I got much more excited.

The control scheme is simple to use. I haven't yet hit the wrong key when I really needed to hit the right one. Some people might not like that there aren't dozens of skills at your fingertips but I prefer simple.

So, I've almost no complaints and the game is fun. Just like the last two. I suspect, like the last two, I'll be playing this every day for years.

I'm going to miss my necromancer though. I hope the witch doctor is a good substitute.

LOG
05-17-2012, 05:37 AM
"I'll give you a tip: keep clicking." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O799AdHxE7c)
ROFL

LOG
05-17-2012, 08:55 PM
The cow level is hilarious.

Mharvey
05-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Level 19 Wizard. So far enjoying myself thoroughly.

RemusShepherd
05-17-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm disappointed. Up through the end of Act I, the storyline is exactly the same -- you're searching for a fallen star instead of a soulstone, but you still have to check three tombs in a cemetary, then go to old Tristram, then go into the jails and fight the exact same guy from D2 (with a new skin). It's not just bad writing, it's the laziest writing I think I've ever seen in a game sequel.

The character customization is so neutered it plays more like Pokemon than an RPG. And the weapon/skill system is so counterintuitive I can't figure out how anything works. D3 feels like a dumbed-down version of D2 with new graphics and an (unwanted) auctionhouse.

This may be Blizzard's first epic fail.

I didn't like Torchlight #1 very much. So in the 'explore and find random weapon' genre, I'm going to hold my hopes out for Borderlands 2 in September. That should be a hoot of a game.

dclary
05-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Cracked has a great article about it. WTF you can't play the game in single-player mode without an network connection to Battle.net.

Tomorrow's webcomic, previewed for you fine folks today is Diablo-themed:

http://hardhobbittobreak.com//comics/2012-05-18-III.png

http://www.hardhobbittobreak.com

efkelley
05-18-2012, 11:02 AM
The Cracked article: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-diablo-iii-represents-gamings-annoying-future/

I disagree with his assessment that the required net connection is primarily to combat piracy. It's there as part of Blizzard's monetization of the item marketplace.

Mharvey
05-18-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm disappointed. Up through the end of Act I, the storyline is exactly the same -- you're searching for a fallen star instead of a soulstone, but you still have to check three tombs in a cemetary, then go to old Tristram, then go into the jails and fight the exact same guy from D2 (with a new skin). It's not just bad writing, it's the laziest writing I think I've ever seen in a game sequel.

The character customization is so neutered it plays more like Pokemon than an RPG. And the weapon/skill system is so counterintuitive I can't figure out how anything works. D3 feels like a dumbed-down version of D2 with new graphics and an (unwanted) auctionhouse.

This may be Blizzard's first epic fail.

I didn't like Torchlight #1 very much. So in the 'explore and find random weapon' genre, I'm going to hold my hopes out for Borderlands 2 in September. That should be a hoot of a game.

The story isn't all that impressive for Act I, true, but they picked it up quickly after. I was pretty happy with Act II. Predictable as hell, but still good. Spoiler: I knew the Emperor was Belial from a mile away. Act III, so far, as been very visually satisfying. It's very "Lord of the Rings Battle of Helm's Deep" like.

Torgo
05-18-2012, 01:44 PM
I've actually slipped right back into the clicky-clicky like a comfortable old pair of, well, slippers. I think the economy isn't quite right yet, though.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
05-19-2012, 04:09 PM
What's this game like? I mean compare it to, say, Skyrim. Similar or worlds apart? I see the tv ads all the time, but they tell you nothing. It could be exactly like Skyrim or exactly like God of War 3 (so completely different than Skyrim) or the latest Castlevania (which I found nearly identical in playstyle to GOW3).

I'm thinking of buying it, but am cautious...and poor.

efkelley
05-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Isometric hack & slash is what this one is. Here's the Yogscast guys playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4qmrZEF-rE They're hilarious since they never research the games beforehand. They just jump in.

However, if you're poor, you might consider Torchlight: http://www.torchlightgame.com/ It's $15 on Steam right now. And there's a demo that'll give you a good idea what these games are like. Torchlight was the reason Diablo 3 was 2 years late. And, if you preorder Torchlight 2 on Steam, you get Torchlight 1 free. Release date is probably about a month from now. Given all the D3 woes, a lot of folks I know have gone that route.

Her Dark Star
05-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Yep, Diablo is absolutely nothing like Skyrim, or indeed any JRPG, RPG or MMO. It defined the hack n slash genre and there haven't really been many other contenders in genre. Think (if you're old enough) Gauntlet with shinier graphics and more attacks. Neither of the Diablo games had a great deal of story telling, but they do have atmosphere and the fun factor. Unfortunately can't play D3 due to the always online requirement, which is the one reason I'm not playing it. Seen others playing it though, looks simplistic but a blast, certainly not perfect but fun. If you're looking for an elder scrolls or a Baldur's gate this really isn't it though.

narmowen
05-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Am I the only one boycotting this game?

(I'm boycotting due to the requirement of a constant internet connection required to play on the pc.)

I was really looking forward to it, but looks like I'll be spending my money elsewhere. (Played through D 1 & 2 I don't know how many characters or hours.)

Unimportant
05-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Am I the only one boycotting this game?

(I'm boycotting due to the requirement of a constant internet connection required to play on the pc.)

I was really looking forward to it, but looks like I'll be spending my money elsewhere. (Played through D 1 & 2 I don't know how many characters or hours.)

I'm the same. I don't want to have to play online.

Her Dark Star
05-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Have to admit I wouldn't be rushing out to buy D3 even if I had the connection to play. I don't like the always online thing, and although it does look fun I am wondering if just firing up D2 again would satisfy my needs.

steamforged
05-23-2012, 03:50 AM
I'm loving it so far. Delightfully smashy. The environments are gorgeous and evocative, and I love how far demon bits fly when I clickclickclickclickclick. Most impressive is its handling of grouping. A friend can join or drop group at any time and it doesn't adversely affect the group; difficulty adjustment is handled on the fly, and there's no need to fiddle with being on the same quest step. You just group and go.

I never played the previous Diablo games (sacrilege, I know; I'm certainly old enough, but couldn't afford a PC for a long time), so that's the grain of salt here, I guess. Enjoying the hell out of this one, though.

efkelley
05-24-2012, 11:00 PM
http://www.slashgear.com/diablo-iii-auction-house-and-monk-pushed-back-24229849/

Real cash AH delayed and monk nerfed. Fun!

Naz
05-26-2012, 02:11 AM
I've got to admit that I've been playing way too much Diablo 3 in the past week. Well, when I managed to get online. I really don't like the 'always online' thing. I mean, there are good things about it, such a the Auction House (but the Real Currency Auction House? Nah...) and it's easy to find other people to play with (and no cheaters this time, which is good, too). But the servers aren't stable enough (yet) and since Diablo can be played as both a single-player and a multiplayer game, I think players should be given the option to play offline as well.

Snowball2695
05-27-2012, 07:42 AM
My brother just got the dang thing and has been playing non stop. I think he's on act 3 right now.
Just waiting to get a crack at it.
Computer hog...

Esper
05-30-2012, 07:50 AM
The environments are gorgeous and evocative, and I love how far demon bits fly when I clickclickclickclickclick. Most impressive is its handling of grouping. A friend can join or drop group at any time and it doesn't adversely affect the group; difficulty adjustment is handled on the fly, and there's no need to fiddle with being on the same quest step. You just group and go.

Sweet! Been putting off getting a copy. Something to look forward to for the summer :D

ShadowyEclipse
05-30-2012, 01:18 PM
So.

What IS Diablo III?

Never played it... or even heard of it until a few weeks ago.

Romantic Heretic
05-30-2012, 05:04 PM
This should fill you in. (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/media/videos/?view#/what-is-diablo3)

I'm still really enjoying the game. It has that 'just one more run' feel to it.

So far my favourite characters are the monk and the wizard. The monk has a lot of cool skills. I love dropping that huge temple bell on the bad guys. The wizard's tend to be appropriately spectacular. Electrocute and Disintegrate are my favourites while skills like Teleport and Mirror Image help keep the mobs off.

Demon hunter started off slow and I wasn't sure I like them. But once they got a few skills they were much more interesting to play.

Witch doctor is…interesting. Not quite as much fun as the necromancer in D2. Some of his sound effects are annoying.

I haven't played the barbarian yet. I almost never did in D2 and I doubt I'll play them much in D3.

There have been annoying server outages. Yesterday they were down almost all day. My wife told me that is to be expected on patch days for this type of thing. I hope it doesn't happen too often. We'll see.

So, it's a good game and pretty much what I expected. Like D2 I'll probably be playing it every day for the next ten years or so.

Pinguicha
06-20-2012, 04:56 AM
I finally got my hands on a Diablo III copy. HOLY HELL I'M ADDICTED! Still haven't finished Act I and I don't care much for how skills evolve now (preferred Diablo II's system), but... it's still fun.

Also, I'm playing a female Demon Hunter and she is hot. And badass. She hunts demons in high heels, for god's sake!

Bartholomew
06-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Terrible game. And offensive.

(A. - We bought an unfinished game. People are still waiting for PVP, and the developers said repeatedly that Inferno difficulty is as hard as it currently is so that they can weed out exploitative playstyles. That's beta shit.

(B. - The endgame is trash. Leveling is fun because every X kills you get to see a new skill. Item drops are fun, too, of course. Then at level 60 you stop getting one of the reasons to keep playing, but it's replaced with nothing. The only thing left to do is farm items. The story doesn't have additional information, even--that would have been an easy carrot to throw in front of the player.

Since the champions and random bosses are the hardest fights in the game, getting to a story-significant boss feels empty, since they tend to just roll over and die. They aren't even loot pinatas, so they feel a bit like markers telling you that you've run out of monsters to kill.

The bosses rely on raid mechanics that are stupidly easy to avoid, while the random monsters are stat checks (Proof: when a monster starts to swing, you take damage , even if you move away, jump, teleport, or become invulnerable before the hit actually lands--there is no way to be twitchy enough to avoid damage, and there's a stat to be fast enough to kite successfully). The fights that should be a genuine challenge fail to be, and the fights that are a genuine challenge are hard for reasons that don't make the combat fun.

(Spoilers)

(C - The Diablo III story has one of the worst plots I've ever seen, sandwiched together with one of the worst executions of story telling. Despite the game having four acts, the story does not fall into four act structure. The player character has no growth, despite having voice acting and lines, and comes off as a complete nonentity who is identical to all the other nonentities playing with you.

Leah is the only vaguely interesting character. Her mother's betrayal is a complete asspull, as is Cain's death. There's no foreshadowing, and even if there was, there's nothing at stake for the player. Diablo is going to destroy heaven? So what? The angels have all been complete dicks, and humanity (Nephalem are either humans in general, or specific humans; it's never made clear. And despite a very obvious hint, it's never really clear when the player character realizes that she is a nephalem.) is apparently a superior product anyway. The world is in danger indirectly, but even in stories where the world is at stake, the reader/player/viewer needs to have some reason to care.

(End Spoilers)

(D - The witch doctor is absurd. It's like playing a portrayal of every negative stereotype of African and Caribbean Islander rolled into one. Even if it's not racist, it's really distracting to play a character who twitches all the time, and who can (by holding down a button), keep pulling massive jars of spiders out of some invisible pack and hurling them. Very little thought went into this character's aesthetic, and it emphasizes a deeper problem with having different races represent each of the game's classes. All wizards are Asian, all witch doctors are black, all barbarians are Nordic, all monks are Russio-Caucasian, and all Demon Hunters are Goth. Someone could say I'm just looking for nits to pick, except that Guild Wars II and even World of Warcraft allow you to match race and class together. The classes being matched with specific races feels like a 15 year old design choice, and is at least mildly offensive since so many other games have managed to escape it, and especially since Blizzard chose to use parodies of real world races instead of fantasy races.

If this game had been released by anyone but Blizzard, no one would be playing it right now.

LOG
06-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I totally agree on the character design.
Even a basic char. generator would have made a huge difference there.

The original games lacked them, but those games also had much more limited technology and budget to work with.

Torgo
06-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Terrible game. And offensive.

Hmm, I can totally see the justice in everything you're saying. Though:

A) I don't mind that it's unfinished. This is a game which depends heavily on the loot economy, and that can't be beta-tested. They've had to introduce it in stages, and tweak and balance as they go. It's fascinating watching loot-farming and AH strategies evolve. In some ways that's more interesting than the core gameplay.

They're going to be patching the game shortly to tweak drop rates and make gold sinks like the jeweller more useful, so that will be interesting - the rewards aren't quite in the sweet spot yet. Having only had one (comparatively crap) orange item drop for me in about 60 hours of D3 so far isn't quite fun enough.

B) Haven't got there yet (just hit Act 2 Hell), so the endgame is a thing I don't have an opinion on yet. I agree there needs to be something - but then D2 didn't really have much of an endgame, just PvP and loot farming, right?

C) The writing has never been a Blizzard strong point, even in D1 and D2. It's all a slightly camp version of grimdark fantasy - the OTT gore is played for laughs - and the plot is paper-thin. D1's plot was basically, hey, we built our town on top of Hell, could you please go kill Satan?

D) Haven't played Witch Doctor but yeah, I can believe that. Would like to see a bit more character customisation, definitely.

I'm still having fun with it. AFAICT it is D2 with the economy brought to the fore, and that's intriguing to me.

Romantic Heretic
06-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Shrugs. I'm enjoying playing, and that's all I do, play.

I don't care about getting cool stuff. I don't care about the story. I just like wandering around killing things. All the Diablo games have been rogue with better graphics for me.

My favourite characters for doing that are the wizard and monk. Both suit the way I play these type of games. Once I learned how to go elective and switch skills according to the environment both offer me lots of different ways to do things in.

Demon hunter is all right. They can be fun but they don't catch my interest.

Barbarians have never been my favourite. I did play one but like the demon hunter he really didn't catch my interest.

Rather disappointed in the witch doctor. I'd hoped it would be the semi-equivalent of the necromancer in DII. That was my preferred character in that game. But, it doesn't make it. Also some of his skills are annoying when you spam them.

Like DII I'll probably be playing this every day for years because I enjoy playing. The rest of it? Economy? Story? I don't care.

RichardGarfinkle
06-28-2012, 04:41 AM
I just set this up and am going to start playing tomorrow, but I'm trying to figure out how much of the online stuff I can shut out. I don't want to do multiplayer or receive texts from other players. How can I get as solo an environment as possible?

Bartholomew
06-28-2012, 06:55 AM
I just set this up and am going to start playing tomorrow, but I'm trying to figure out how much of the online stuff I can shut out. I don't want to do multiplayer or receive texts from other players. How can I get as solo an environment as possible?

Play Torchlight instead. Diablo III is always multiplayer. You can play by yourself in private games, but the only way to get loot that you can survive with on high difficulty settings is to trade or use the auction house. And you can never disconnect from the server.

Romantic Heretic
06-29-2012, 05:08 AM

You only need to do the multiplayer thing, including chats, if you want to. I haven't gone near any of the auction houses because I haven't needed to. You deliberately have to enter them. The chat is turned off by default.

Yes, you do need to be online all the time but that hasn't been a problem for me.

RichardGarfinkle
07-19-2012, 03:09 PM
I've been playing this for a couple of weeks now,and there's a really weird dynamic arising from the fact that your stash, cash, and upgrades to smith and jeweler are all shared between all your characters.

If you play multiple characters and swap between them you can bootstrap the weaker characters using the loot from stronger characters. In particular because socketed items can take any gems you can use Nightmare level gems in Basic Socketed items to give a level inappropriate boost to weaker characters.

The game seems almost completely item dependent. Boosting the main stat, vitality, weapon damage, and armor matter far more than the choices of tactical abilities, although there is some importance there.

Still having fun with it though.

Plot's annoying, however.

Torgo
07-19-2012, 03:21 PM
I've been playing this for a couple of weeks now,and there's a really weird dynamic arising from the fact that your stash, cash, and upgrades to smith and jeweler are all shared between all your characters.

If you play multiple characters and swap between them you can bootstrap the weaker characters using the loot from stronger characters. In particular because socketed items can take any gems you can use Nightmare level gems in Basic Socketed items to give a level inappropriate boost to weaker characters.

The game seems almost completely item dependent. Boosting the main stat, vitality, weapon damage, and armor matter far more than the choices of tactical abilities, although there is some importance there.

Still having fun with it though.

Plot's annoying, however.

It is all about the items, yes, at least until you get to Hell and Inferno, when things become quite tactical and skill-based. I think the heavy item focus is a lot to do with the economy they've built. I rather like the shared stash/cash/crafting.

Gems are the replacement for the stat point allocation we used to have in D2; I like the flexibility of it. But they are clearly still tweaking stuff - gem crafting was radically revised, for example.

If anyone on the EU servers ever want to play a bit of co-op, by the way?

JimmyB27
07-19-2012, 04:11 PM
I played through the bit you can get invited to for free by someone who owns the game.
Don't get it. I've played browser games with more in depth gameplay.

Torgo
07-19-2012, 04:51 PM
I played through the bit you can get invited to for free by someone who owns the game.
Don't get it. I've played browser games with more in depth gameplay.

It gets deeper, tactically, the longer you play it, but if it isn't tickling the dopamine Skinner-box circuit in your brain, it's probably not for you. It's supposed to be a sort of hypnotic feedback loop, like D2 was.