Is it possible I have what it takes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcv

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

Some of you guys may have seen me on the Freelance board. I wrote that I had written professionally about five years ago, but had left the game, as it were. I wrote about a variety of things, not necessarily technical in nature.

Over the last few months, I have been yearning to write professionally again. I have written little things here and there, but nothing paid. I write a lot, actually, for my customers. I work as an on-site, roving support tech support engineer. ("Engineer" is perhaps too much of a professional term!) Often times, I need to create step-by-step instructions for them. This is a little familiar to me, as in my last "job," I wrote technical manuals for equipment found in commerical printing plants.

After reading a little bit about technical writing, I am wondering if I might just already qualify for this type of work. I work in a technical industry and have written manuals describing highly technical topics. I have also written for consumer publications, albeit five years ago.

But I don't have any sort of college degree. The STC site seems to indicate this is mostly desired.

Is it possible to find work with my writing and technical experience? Do I need to get a degree first?

Any help is appreciated. This type of writing might just be a good fit for me. It's creative and technical. Wow.

VOTE_BOT

Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds as if your professional experience and pre-existing logical tendencies have made you a perfect candidate for technical writing. You might want to dummy up a portfolio of instruction manual copy and/or other tech documents, based on your areas of strength, and then start networking to find a company that can use your skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.