FORMAT: CONTINUED

Status
Not open for further replies.

the debster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
What is the current trend regarding using CONTINUED at the bottom and top of page breaks for running scenes?

I have been told that it is out of fashion to use CONTINUED's. Is this true?

I know a screenwriter who uses Movie Magic and when I asked her about this she stated that she has found it impossible to turn this function off.

What route should I take?

Thanks for your assistance-
DJLedford

Chesher Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshercat.com
Don't use it. The only "cont'd" is use if a character's dialogue bleeds over to another page but your software should put that in for you. I don't use Movie Magic but there should be an option to turn them off in the preferences.

Also no "CUT TO:" between scenes unless is a big cut.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Movie Magic continue options

debster, everything in Movie Magic can be switched on or off, maybe you could tell your pal to look at,

Format
Edit Script Formats
"Scene Headings" button
switch off "Scene Continued Text" (untick the Top of Pg and Btm of Pg boxes)

On the same note, folks have told me to dispense with character dialogue (CONT'D)s which is likewise going out of fashion. To turn this off in Movie Magic,

Format
Edit Script Formats
"Character Names" button
select "No Automatic Character Continueds"

I'm unaffected by character dialogue spilling over onto the next page because I don't allow this to happen ("Page Breaks" button, Do Not Break Action, Do Not Break Dialogue) which encourages me to write shorter action and dialogue paragraphs!

-Derek
Derek's Web Page - stories, screenplays, novels, insanity.

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
format

don't use "continueds" - only an idiot would not understand that the story, dialogue or action continues on the next page. keep the page numbers thou ;)

IWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I use the character' cont'd's whether dialogue is broken up by action or a page break - because I know that they are helpful to actors as a visual cue.

Actors often highlight their lines or read only their own lines and because the normal flow is that the same character's dialogue doesn't come back to back it's easy for them to miss the second part of the back to back line when they scan through it. Using CONTINUED helps them flag it when they are scanning.

the debster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
Excellent suggestions and advice from all.

I'm much obliged.

dpaterso: I will inform my pal regarding turning these functions off. Thank you for that info. She'll be thrilled by the step-by-step details.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
IWrite said:
I use the character' cont'd's whether dialogue is broken up by action or a page break - because I know that they are helpful to actors as a visual cue.
Betcha if I'd said I use dialogue CONT'Ds you'd have said only an idiot uses them!

I'd guess the difference between us is, I'm writing spec scripts which I hope will be requested and find their way to readers, you're writing scripts you know will go to actors?

-Derek
Derek's Web Page - stories, screenplays, novels, insanity.

IWrite

Registered
Reaction score
dpaterso said:
Betcha if I'd said I use dialogue CONT'Ds you'd have said only an idiot uses them!

I'd guess the difference between us is, I'm writing spec scripts which I hope will be requested and find their way to readers, you're writing scripts you know will go to actors?

Actually you are incorrect Derek. I learned that it makes it easier for actors when I had a table reading on my very first spec.

When I read specs in my role as a development exec - having them there doesn't bother me, or slow down my read. And in the long run I know they will be useful - because should we decide to develop a script - it will eventually go to agents for actors and I know that actors find them helpful.

I know some agents/actors who don't even bother reading the entire script at first - all they read is the role in question. If they like the role, then they'll take the time to read the whole story.

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
hey!

not only that.....I'm the one who calls people "idiots!" ;)

Boo_Radley

100% Death Proof
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.horror-movies.ca
I use Final Draft 7; it inserts a "cont'd" ONLY when dialogue spills onto the next page. It doesn't insert it at all when action/description carries onto the next page.

As for interrupting a character's dialogue with an action/description and then having them continue afterwards, well...I've heard so many different ways of handling this that I just came up with my own by using elipses.

ALEX
I don't mean to startle you, but...

Alex puts a gun to Bob's head.

ALEX
...then again, maybe I do.

Silly, spur-of-the-moment example but you get the idea.:)

Last edited:

scripter1

Article Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Kitchen table, parked in front of the computer.
cont'd

I read somewhere that Russell Crowe reads his lines backwards and wants the cont'ds there.

I use them when dialog spills over BUT I really work hard to not let that happen.

If someone is paying enough attention to the usage of (cont'd) by the actors name then you've got bigger problems to worry about.

Ah Nikee, your tactfullness is always refreshing.

The continues or mores at the bottom of the pages are no longer used.

Anybody know the history of WHY they were ever used in the first place?
I mean, it would seem obvious that the story continues.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net

Boo_Radley

100% Death Proof
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.horror-movies.ca
scripter1 said:
Anybody know the history of WHY they were ever used in the first place?
I mean, it would seem obvious that the story continues.

I believe it had something to do with a contingency in case pages were lost. Still doesn't make a lot of sense, though.

Reminds me of a funny anecdote I read about Ed Wood, director of Plan 9 From Outer Space (largely considered the worst film ever made)...

Supposedly, Wood went to another filmmaker's house party and became embarrasingly drunk, boasting and bragging and raising ten kinds of hell. When the host stepped outside to get away from the chaos, he and a friend found Wood's Plan 9 script sitting in the passenger seat of Wood's car. They took out every 6th page and buried the removed pages beneath a bush in the host's front yard. Apparently, Wood went on to shoot the film, never realizing he was missing every sixth page. So, utlimately, "cont'd" and "more" don't really matter. At least, not if you're Ed Wood.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.