Most Cinematic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
What games do you find the most cinematic? By 'cinematic', I mean gameplay makes you feel like you're watching an interactive movie. Compelling storylines, great music, general ambience which sucks you in and causes you to forget it's a game and enjoy total immersion.

For me, there are several games, but probably Silent Hill, especially SH2. The movie version sucked, but the games are amazing.

There are others, but SH is my favorite. What are yours?

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
- Tales of Eternia, nice plot. Even the whole fire/ice/wind dungeons didn't felt tedious at all.
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time series, particularly the first game.
- The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time: The final battle against Ganon was amazing.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a big gamer, but my daughter is. I enjoy a relaxing evening, watching her kill people.

I found Assassin's Creed for the PS3 totally cinematic. There were some viewpoint where my vertigo kicked in and I just could NOT keep watching for fear of losing dinner. The interactions with the NPCs were somewhat predictable, but reasonable. Just an overall really mesmerizing game--and I wasn't even playing!

Can't wait for AC2.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not a big gamer, but my daughter is. I enjoy a relaxing evening, watching her kill people.

I found Assassin's Creed for the PS3 totally cinematic. There were some viewpoint where my vertigo kicked in and I just could NOT keep watching for fear of losing dinner. The interactions with the NPCs were somewhat predictable, but reasonable. Just an overall really mesmerizing game--and I wasn't even playing!

Can't wait for AC2.

If you don't mind blowing up Boatloads of people, this Jutland Simulator has some cinematic aspects. Like Eisenstein with his Battleship Potemkin thing but no Odessa Steps.

My favorite cinematic moments are inherent in setting up a battle just before sunrise (so that visibility jumps from say 8000 meters to 28000 in about half an hour)
and taking a destroyer's eye view (always take an RN destroyer since bigger, faster destroyers with bigger faster torpedoes make for a slightly longer survival period when going to within boarding range of the High Seas Fleet).

http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/html/se_jutland_v2.html

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
If you don't mind blowing up Boatloads of people, this Jutland Simulator has some cinematic aspects. Like Eisenstein with his Battleship Potemkin thing but no Odessa Steps.

My favorite cinematic moments are inherent in setting up a battle just before sunrise (so that visibility jumps from say 8000 meters to 28000 in about half an hour)
and taking a destroyer's eye view (always take an RN destroyer since bigger, faster destroyers with bigger faster torpedoes make for a slightly longer survival period when going to within boarding range of the High Seas Fleet).

http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/html/se_jutland_v2.html

Poster for Potemkin from Wiki about the film

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I liked D2. I haven't played any others in that series.

The new Street Fighter, SF4, feels cinematic to me, since they've changed the art (it's hard to explain, the textures are painted to feel like 2D anime, but it's 3D).

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The game has a 50 foot tall winged, horned and hooved deamon summoned from the pits of hell smashing a tank the size of a city block with a two headed ax while the tank fires all 15 of its insanely powerful WTF guns directly at it.

While the planet explodes.

And they're playing heavy metal music in the background.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I remember being bowled over by Final Fantasy VII at the time, although the graphics are clunky now. I'm a huge fan of the Square graphics in any of the Final Fantasy games and the plots do feel like a movie unravelling. FF10 really hit the peak for me in storytelling, graphics, and music. I was so sorry when Uematsu quit Square.

We switched to an XBox 360 recently and while the games are darned pretty, I haven't found anything to match the older stuff (or perhaps I'm just getting old!).

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Why has no one said Mass Effect here either?

They have a cinema mode even. jeesh.

Mass effect definitely should be included. I'm not sure Dawn of War belongs in the category under the idea of the original post, but its intro is certainly one of the better ones around.

Others are Half-Life, and going old school, anything by Infocom, though since those lacked graphics I'm not sure they would fit "cinematic" either.

Dead Space is another recent title that is certainly cinematic.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
The game has a 50 foot tall winged, horned and hooved deamon summoned from the pits of hell smashing a tank the size of a city block with a two headed ax while the tank fires all 15 of its insanely powerful WTF guns directly at it.

While the planet explodes.

And they're playing heavy metal music in the background.

Exactly. Every game cliche known to man in 2 seconds flat.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I recall playing the Fatal Frame games when I first started playing games and being reminded of them when I watched the Japanese horror movies like The Ring, Juon, and that series that had Amber Tamblyn in one and Sarah Michelle Geller in another. Same creepy female characters with long black hair covering their faces. And in Fatal Frame, your only weapon is a camera. Quite a scarey game series.

MRevelle83

Complication
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rpgmmag.com
I'm surprised that I am going to be the first person to mention Metal Gear Solid.

A mention goes to Ico, prequel to Shadow of the Colossus.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
How about the DVD-version of Wing Commander, which is almost entirely actual film? All of the cut-scenes and story line, when not in space combat, comes at you like a pretty well-shot episode of BSG or some such.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
The most cinematic game I've played so far has to be Half-Life 2 and it's episodes.

The graphics, the storyline, the interactions and the environment were done so incredibly well, it felt like I was actually playing in a movie - especially when I played it on my HDTV.

Awesomeness. Pure awesomeness.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that's the point Higgans.

The Warhammer 40,000 universe is made up entirely of cliche's taken to their hilarious extreme, then covered in the blackest of black ink. Its so dark, its funny. Its so cliche, its inventive. Its really something quite amazing, once you look into it.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I think the Hitman series is very atmospheric. It's moody and noir, the levels are really quite dark and sinister and it's all about patience and stealth which doesn't help when your heart is racing. The game falls down a little when the shit hits the fan but that just serves as more of an incentive to get it right.

Other games... I'd say Silent Hill is about as cinematic as it gets. Very weird but a tonne of hard work has gone into those levels. Ditto Max Payne which is almost directly linked to cinema with its bullet time stuff. And there was something about the first few Resident Evils with their pre-rendered, locked-off backgrounds. Lots of people hated them, I liked it. The 3D looked goofy in Code Veronica but I admit it's pretty damn impressive in 4 and 5.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Oh right, Fahrenheit was nothing but one long cinematic.

And it had a really cool plot...till it went absolutely insane.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, that's the point Higgans.

The Warhammer 40,000 universe is made up entirely of cliche's taken to their hilarious extreme, then covered in the blackest of black ink. Its so dark, its funny. Its so cliche, its inventive. Its really something quite amazing, once you look into it.

I'm sure it is inventive, its just that with simulations getting better and better due to better and better machines and code, I find I'm more interested in looking into strange aspects of reality (such as the Gloster Gladiator in IL-2 or Targetware) than I am at massive amounts of unreality.

aircraftoftheaces44.jpg

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Splinter Cell I felt had a great cinematic quality built by the same people that brought you Assassin's Creed. Rainbow Six vegas had a nice feeling, too. Yes, Halo, too. However, the sequels, I think, were probably setting us up for the movie

Older: Wing Commander, of course. But it was a pioneer of that sort of game.

And my all time favorite:

Crimson Skies.

Status
Not open for further replies.