PDA

View Full Version : Most Cinematic Games

jodiodi
04-08-2009, 06:53 PM
What games do you find the most cinematic? By 'cinematic', I mean gameplay makes you feel like you're watching an interactive movie. Compelling storylines, great music, general ambience which sucks you in and causes you to forget it's a game and enjoy total immersion.

For me, there are several games, but probably Silent Hill, especially SH2. The movie version sucked, but the games are amazing.

There are others, but SH is my favorite. What are yours?

Kaiser-Kun
04-08-2009, 07:45 PM
- Tales of Eternia, nice plot. Even the whole fire/ice/wind dungeons didn't felt tedious at all.
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time series, particularly the first game.
- The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time: The final battle against Ganon was amazing.

DeleyanLee
04-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm not a big gamer, but my daughter is. I enjoy a relaxing evening, watching her kill people.

I found Assassin's Creed for the PS3 totally cinematic. There were some viewpoint where my vertigo kicked in and I just could NOT keep watching for fear of losing dinner. The interactions with the NPCs were somewhat predictable, but reasonable. Just an overall really mesmerizing game--and I wasn't even playing!

Can't wait for AC2.

Higgins
04-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm not a big gamer, but my daughter is. I enjoy a relaxing evening, watching her kill people.

I found Assassin's Creed for the PS3 totally cinematic. There were some viewpoint where my vertigo kicked in and I just could NOT keep watching for fear of losing dinner. The interactions with the NPCs were somewhat predictable, but reasonable. Just an overall really mesmerizing game--and I wasn't even playing!

Can't wait for AC2.

If you don't mind blowing up Boatloads of people, this Jutland Simulator has some cinematic aspects. Like Eisenstein with his Battleship Potemkin thing but no Odessa Steps.

My favorite cinematic moments are inherent in setting up a battle just before sunrise (so that visibility jumps from say 8000 meters to 28000 in about half an hour)
and taking a destroyer's eye view (always take an RN destroyer since bigger, faster destroyers with bigger faster torpedoes make for a slightly longer survival period when going to within boarding range of the High Seas Fleet).

http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/html/se_jutland_v2.html

Higgins
04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
If you don't mind blowing up Boatloads of people, this Jutland Simulator has some cinematic aspects. Like Eisenstein with his Battleship Potemkin thing but no Odessa Steps.

My favorite cinematic moments are inherent in setting up a battle just before sunrise (so that visibility jumps from say 8000 meters to 28000 in about half an hour)
and taking a destroyer's eye view (always take an RN destroyer since bigger, faster destroyers with bigger faster torpedoes make for a slightly longer survival period when going to within boarding range of the High Seas Fleet).

http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/html/se_jutland_v2.html
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Kino0.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Kino0.jpg)

Poster for Potemkin from Wiki about the film

darkprincealain
04-08-2009, 09:44 PM
I liked D2. I haven't played any others in that series.

The new Street Fighter, SF4, feels cinematic to me, since they've changed the art (it's hard to explain, the textures are painted to feel like 2D anime, but it's 3D).

Zoombie
04-09-2009, 12:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkFo5SBx-g

/lock thread

Higgins
04-09-2009, 12:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkFo5SBx-g

/lock thread

/sneak into locked thread/

Well, its hyperactive. I'm not sure that's all that cinematic and its an intro. I think you'd get lost in the
game if you popped your camera views around like that.

Zoombie
04-09-2009, 01:20 AM
The game has a 50 foot tall winged, horned and hooved deamon summoned from the pits of hell smashing a tank the size of a city block with a two headed ax while the tank fires all 15 of its insanely powerful WTF guns directly at it.

While the planet explodes.

And they're playing heavy metal music in the background.

whistlelock
04-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Why has no one said Mass Effect here either?

They have a cinema mode even. jeesh.

Cath
04-09-2009, 03:34 AM
I remember being bowled over by Final Fantasy VII at the time, although the graphics are clunky now. I'm a huge fan of the Square graphics in any of the Final Fantasy games and the plots do feel like a movie unravelling. FF10 really hit the peak for me in storytelling, graphics, and music. I was so sorry when Uematsu quit Square.

We switched to an XBox 360 recently and while the games are darned pretty, I haven't found anything to match the older stuff (or perhaps I'm just getting old!).

Prozyan
04-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Why has no one said Mass Effect here either?

They have a cinema mode even. jeesh.

Mass effect definitely should be included. I'm not sure Dawn of War belongs in the category under the idea of the original post, but its intro is certainly one of the better ones around.

Others are Half-Life, and going old school, anything by Infocom, though since those lacked graphics I'm not sure they would fit "cinematic" either.

Dead Space is another recent title that is certainly cinematic.

Phoebe H
04-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Valkyria Chronicles. It *feels* like a movie when you were playing it. Absolutely incredible graphics in a very distinctive style.

Elidibus
04-09-2009, 02:18 PM
No one has said Shadow of the Colossus? Beautiful game! Check it out!

Higgins
04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
The game has a 50 foot tall winged, horned and hooved deamon summoned from the pits of hell smashing a tank the size of a city block with a two headed ax while the tank fires all 15 of its insanely powerful WTF guns directly at it.

While the planet explodes.

And they're playing heavy metal music in the background.

Exactly. Every game cliche known to man in 2 seconds flat.

jodiodi
04-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I recall playing the Fatal Frame games when I first started playing games and being reminded of them when I watched the Japanese horror movies like The Ring, Juon, and that series that had Amber Tamblyn in one and Sarah Michelle Geller in another. Same creepy female characters with long black hair covering their faces. And in Fatal Frame, your only weapon is a camera. Quite a scarey game series.

MRevelle83
04-09-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm surprised that I am going to be the first person to mention Metal Gear Solid.

A mention goes to Ico, prequel to Shadow of the Colossus.

dclary
04-09-2009, 09:46 PM
How about the DVD-version of Wing Commander, which is almost entirely actual film? All of the cut-scenes and story line, when not in space combat, comes at you like a pretty well-shot episode of BSG or some such.

brokenfingers
04-10-2009, 12:21 AM
The most cinematic game I've played so far has to be Half-Life 2 and it's episodes.

The graphics, the storyline, the interactions and the environment were done so incredibly well, it felt like I was actually playing in a movie - especially when I played it on my HDTV.

Awesomeness. Pure awesomeness.

Zoombie
04-10-2009, 02:53 AM
Yes, that's the point Higgans.

The Warhammer 40,000 universe is made up entirely of cliche's taken to their hilarious extreme, then covered in the blackest of black ink. Its so dark, its funny. Its so cliche, its inventive. Its really something quite amazing, once you look into it.

clockwork
04-10-2009, 02:57 AM
I think the Hitman series is very atmospheric. It's moody and noir, the levels are really quite dark and sinister and it's all about patience and stealth which doesn't help when your heart is racing. The game falls down a little when the shit hits the fan but that just serves as more of an incentive to get it right.

Other games... I'd say Silent Hill is about as cinematic as it gets. Very weird but a tonne of hard work has gone into those levels. Ditto Max Payne which is almost directly linked to cinema with its bullet time stuff. And there was something about the first few Resident Evils with their pre-rendered, locked-off backgrounds. Lots of people hated them, I liked it. The 3D looked goofy in Code Veronica but I admit it's pretty damn impressive in 4 and 5.

Zoombie
04-10-2009, 02:59 AM
Oh right, Fahrenheit was nothing but one long cinematic.

And it had a really cool plot...till it went absolutely insane.

Higgins
04-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Yes, that's the point Higgans.

The Warhammer 40,000 universe is made up entirely of cliche's taken to their hilarious extreme, then covered in the blackest of black ink. Its so dark, its funny. Its so cliche, its inventive. Its really something quite amazing, once you look into it.

I'm sure it is inventive, its just that with simulations getting better and better due to better and better machines and code, I find I'm more interested in looking into strange aspects of reality (such as the Gloster Gladiator in IL-2 or Targetware) than I am at massive amounts of unreality.

http://modelingmadness.com/others/books/references/aircraftoftheaces44.jpg

jst5150
04-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Splinter Cell I felt had a great cinematic quality built by the same people that brought you Assassin's Creed. Rainbow Six vegas had a nice feeling, too. Yes, Halo, too. However, the sequels, I think, were probably setting us up for the movie

Older: Wing Commander, of course. But it was a pioneer of that sort of game.

And my all time favorite:

Crimson Skies.

Wavy_Blue
04-16-2009, 02:55 AM
Super Mario Galaxy.

That's right.

shawkins
04-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Left 4 Dead plays up the cinematic angle somewhat. It's not much in the way of plot--try not to die about sums it up--but the 4 chapters are each introduced with a movie poster & close by rolling credits that show who killed how many of what and how effectively.

Great game, btw. I'm sort of a lukewarm gamer, but I've put in a couple hundred hours on that one.

tarcanus
04-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Heavenly Sword, by far, is the most cinematic game I've played. The best title on the PS3 imo. The environments are beautiful, and the battle is fluid. The music sets the tone perfectly and the voice acting is amazing. It's also a nice story for the short length of the game.

Seriously. Everyone needs to play it through once. It's short, you can do it.

jmascia
04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Wing Commander

caitysdad
05-02-2009, 05:46 AM
I think Resident Evil 4 or 5 would make very good movies. Of course, GTA IV, but I think RE 4 or 5 could be made into a movie much easier than GTA IV

S.C. Denton
05-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Medal of Honor Airborne. It's scoped in sequences were incredibly realistic feeling. The parachuting in was amazing, and the close quarters battles made your heart pound. I liked and agree with the majority of games listed thus far.

Especially Splinter Cell, Max Payne, Half Life 2, Hitman, and Halo, and the founding Resident Evils. They were way more immersive than what we have today. Even with the better graphics, and easier gameplay I didn't feel like the newer REs compared to the classics.

Opty
05-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Mass Effect
Metal Gear Solid 4

Bufty
05-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Duke Nukem?