PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of the Closet I: Guilty Pleasures---Ben Freaking Affleck

dclary
04-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Ok, the guy can't act his way out of a paper bag. There's good evidence he snuck "And Ben Affleck" onto the cover of Good Will Hunting, and he's just really weird...

But dammit, I *like* most of his movies. Even the bad ones!!!

Pearl Harbor, I love it.

Armageddon makes me cry. It's so sad and sweet, and funny, and dang it. Why do I love this piece of shit movie?

The one where he's a dude who loses his memory in the future, but sent himself clues that is so bad I don't even remember the name? I liked it!

I liked him in the Tom Clancy movie!

Good Will Hunting was his best role.

And who can't help buy get a kick out of the insipid Reindeer Games?

Hell, all of these movies are bad by themselves, but they each have one or two redeeming graces that make them worth watching. And put together you then have an entire career of bad movies that are worth watching. What does that make him? Some sort of idiot savant at picking roles?

God help me, and angels protect me, but I'm saying it loud, and I'm saying it proud.

I like Ben's movies.

Dammit.

Prozyan
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
I liked Reindeer Games.

dpaterso
04-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah I'm kind of a fan, and never understood why the critics threw so many tomatoes.

I couldn't get into Sum of all Fears but that was because the movie was meh. Don't think I saw that future one.

All those others you've named, and Dogma, and Jersey Girl, entertained me greatly.

Did anyone actually *watch* Gigli? Funny movie. There, I said it.

-Derek

kikilynn
04-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I loved daredevil...did you forget that? Although I am a marvel fan.

Prozyan
04-08-2009, 11:05 AM
I loved daredevil

Daredevil, the director's cut. Oh, the possibilities if that had been the release version. Amazing what a difference about 20mins of film can make.

jst5150
04-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Great in Chasing Amy and Dogma. Smart guy with a good kisser. Doesn't get enough lauding for things he does away from big screen.

Brother's wicked entertainment-talented, too.

sunday morning
04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I've liked most of his movies, too.

I saw Changing Lanes not long ago. Pretty good.

He directed Gone Baby Gone & his brother was the star. Liked that too. I think he could have a future with directing, probably more-so than acting.

Zoombie
04-08-2009, 01:05 PM
...you LIKED Armageddon?

Diana Hignutt
04-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I tend to like his movies too.

And don't forget his very strong performance in Hollywoodland. The look he had as George Reeves when his making the demo film for wrestling and he was winded easily, OMG, that one look...

brainstorm77
04-08-2009, 04:51 PM
i'll take Ben anyday! :)

Perks
04-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I mostly only like him behind the camera. He skeeves me out and I can't quite pinpoint why. I loved Changing Lanes and Dogma, but he mostly ruins everything else he's in. Paycheck should have been someone else and had a better ending.

But Gone Baby, Gone was really very good, I thought. Casey Affleck is terrific and brother Ben was a very bold director to great result.

selkn.asrai
04-08-2009, 05:12 PM
That future one is Paycheck, which I (unfortunately) saw.

I love Good Will Hunting, and he was perfect for Ned Allyn in Shakespeare in Love. If you watch Jersey Girl, you'll see that he has a little more range than most people think. Some of his scenes in that film are quite touching.

Casey Affleck is impressive. He played a great Robert Ford.

James81
04-08-2009, 05:48 PM
He's alright. I never got the hate for him, but I can understand why there's no real love for him either.

He's just...mediocre.

shokadh
04-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Daredevil and Dogma--two of the best!

ChaosTitan
04-08-2009, 07:38 PM
I love Ben. I'll admit it. Most of the same movies Deek mentioned, I love, too. He's one of those actors who needs the right role and the right director to really shine.

For example...

And don't forget his very strong performance in Hollywoodland. The look he had as George Reeves when his making the demo film for wrestling and he was winded easily, OMG, that one look...

This movie proved Ben was more than just a pretty face. He nailed that role, and I'm very eager to see his new movie with Russell Crowe.

ChunkyC
04-08-2009, 07:59 PM
He was excellent in that role. I believe he's an actor who needs good direction. When he gets it, he can shine.

PS -- Zoombie, I'm withya regarding Armageddon. Terrible movie with no logic to it whatsoever. The science was so bad a grade school student could poke holes in it. Training oilrig workers to be astronauts? Ludicrous. It would be a thousand times easier to train an astronaut to drill a hole than to train a rig jockey to be an astronaut. And don't get me started on what would actually happen if you tried to blow up an asteriod inside the moon's orbit. It would make the dinosaur killer asteriod impact 65 million years ago look like dropping a ball bearing onto the bonneville salt flats.

But Ben's acting in it was no better or worse than anyone else's. :D

James81
04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
PS -- Zoombie, I'm withya regarding Armageddon. Terrible movie with no logic to it whatsoever. The science was so bad a grade school student could poke holes in it. Training oilrig workers to be astronauts? Ludicrous. It would be a thousand times easier to train an astronaut to drill a hole than to train a rig jockey to be an astronaut. And don't get me started on what would actually happen if you tried to blow up an asteriod inside the moon's orbit. It would make the dinosaur killer asteriod impact 65 million years ago look like dropping a ball bearing onto the bonneville salt flats.

And that's the problem with Armageddon haters. They take a movie seriously that never, ever, in a million years even attempted to BE serious.

I loved the movie, but that's because I recognize that it wasn't trying to be scientific...it was trying to be fun and is mainly just a brainless action movie with a few big name actors that people like.

Saint Fool
04-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I loved his work in Hollywoodland and Dogma. I'm still not sure if he is an actor whose range is narrow or if he is rarely challenged by directors and chosen material.

My super guilty pleasure began in the late 1970s when I discovered Clint Eastwood movies. Dirty Harry, the westerns, his little films. Loved them all and was so happy when it became cool to like his work. (Female and liberal? Trust me, I got strange looks from the people I told ... until I coerced them into watching one or two of his films.)

ChunkyC
04-09-2009, 01:38 AM
And that's the problem with Armageddon haters. They take a movie seriously that never, ever, in a million years even attempted to BE serious.

I loved the movie, but that's because I recognize that it wasn't trying to be scientific...it was trying to be fun and is mainly just a brainless action movie with a few big name actors that people like.
I hear ya, and I know they weren't trying to be serious.

Thing is, I'm a bit of a science geek and unfortunately they set their film in the (supposedly) real world, not a fantasy universe like Star Wars or whatever, so it's much harder for me to forgive the blatant errors in logic and common sense. It's like fingernails on a blackboard, I can't help but cringe.

Anyway, back to Affleck -- I think he's underrated as an actor, mostly due to the kinds of films he has done. Hopefully his new flick, State of Play (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473705/), is one of the better roles he has taken on. From the trailers I've seen, it looks promising.

nevada
04-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Ben was brilliant in Bounce with Gwyneth Paltrow. Very small film, very touching, I think it's one of his better ones. plus it has an insane rottie in it named after his character and any movie with a dog is a good movie. ;) seriously, if you haven't seen it yet, definitely rent it. It's very worthwile.

State of Play looks good. One I'm looking forward to.

Cranky
04-09-2009, 02:05 AM
I loved Armaggeddon. I cry everytime, even though I know I'm blatantly being manipulated. Yes, the science is ludicrious, etc.

But c'mon. Michael Clark Duncan hopping up on a table, gyrating and yelling, "Pork rind this!"?

Classic.

James81
04-09-2009, 02:07 AM
I loved Armaggeddon. I cry everytime, even though I know I'm blatantly being manipulated. Yes, the science is ludicrious, etc.

But c'mon. Michael Clark Duncan hopping up on a table, gyrating and yelling, "Pork rind this!"?

Classic.

There was so much quotable material from that movie. lol

"The scariest environment imagineable...that's all you had to say...the scariest environment imagineable."

"I TOLD her how to do it, Harry."

dclary
04-09-2009, 03:55 AM
My favorite storyline is the guy who visits his estranged wife to give the kid a little space shuttle. That brings a tear to my eye every time.

favorite line? how do you not go with
"Harry'll do it. I know it. He doesn't know how to fail."

mamaesme
04-09-2009, 04:17 AM
He was in He's Just Not That Into You. I nearly cried when his commitaphobe character proposed to Jennifer Aniston by having her search the pockets of a pair of pants he had that she hated when they were moving in together (again).

And thus, I fell in love.

dgrintalis
04-09-2009, 04:56 AM
I am not a Ben Affleck fan, but I loved Armageddon. Yes, totally scientifically hokey, but the oilmen were such characters. I love the psych exam sequences.

Bear: I am not crazy! I'm just a little emotional right now, ok? Ya'll throwing all this stuff at me, man! Look, I mean, after this is over, can I like get a hug from you or something?

Chumplet
04-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Benny's a cutie! Not hawt by any means but he's cute. I liked Bounce, and Armageddon sucks me in every time. It's a rollicking good time with sharp rocks.

dgiharris
04-09-2009, 06:53 AM

Classic.

Lets not forget the scene of him riddin that big ol' hog with the police chasin him. And he yells, "Come on and get pappa bear!"

Loved that.

But yeah, I like Ben, loved him GWH and Daredevil.

Like many of you, never understood why he got hated on by the critics.

Mel...

Cranky
04-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Lets not forget the scene of him riddin that big ol' hog with the police chasin him. And he yells, "Come on and get pappa bear!"

Loved that.

But yeah, I like Ben, loved him GWH and Daredevil.

Like many of you, never understood why he got hated on by the critics.

Mel...

Oh yeah. And the psych eval sequence someone mentioned upthread. :ROFL:

Then again, I have a tremendous crush on MCD, so you can take that for what it's worth. I'm a *little* biased. :D

Satori1977
04-10-2009, 12:32 AM
I love Ben Affleck! He will probably never win an Oscar, but I do think he is underrated. First of all, I LOVE Armageddon. Not many movies can make me laugh so hard (they do have some great lines) and cry like a baby. Sometimes you need to just enjoy a movie for what it is, and not try to poke holes through it.

Some of my other faves he has been in...Chasing Amy, Dogma, Good Will Hunting, Jersey Girl, Mall Rats, Reindeer Games, Shakespeare in Love, Bounce, Changing Lanes, Pearl Harbor...he is in some pretty good movies.