Does this sound like a scam you've heard?

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm about 99.9% sure this is a scam, but I was wondering if anyone else has had experience or heard of anything like this?

I saw an ad in the paper for a 2-year-old dog that the owner was giving to a good home. It listed an email address as the only contact.

I emailed about the dog, and got this response:

Thanks for the interest getting my puppies. Kindly note that i have 2 yorkies,one male and one female which i'm willing to get a new home for.

The male is named jack while the Female is named kati,jack is 14 weeks old while kati is 13 1/2 weeks old ,and jack weigh 2.5lbs while kati weigh 3lbs.Also, it was due to my missionary call that make me want to get them a new home. Me my three kids together with the pups are here in Africa for our missionary call.

So, after a while, i noticed that the weather here in Africa is very bad for the pups health and i'm thinking to get them a new home back to the state. Also, please be informed that i'm not selling this pups to you but i'm giving them away for free to a good home where they'll be at rest and cared for.

I don't know if you'll prefer to take both pups or you prefer to take either the male or female,but i will be glad if you can take them both because i have never separated them before and them love each other so much. Please let me know if you can create a good home for the pups.

Kindly note that you and i will be splitting out the shipment cost of the puppies to you.Please get back to me if you're interested and please provide me with your telephone number for me to contact you immediately.

Thanks and God bless you.

Best Regards,
Jude

The ad ONLY specified ONE dog, aged two years. I'm not going to respond either way, it seems too sketchy. Ah well. Sounded too good to be true.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, the age of the dog and the number of dogs has changed. Second, they have puppies in Africa that they are trying to find homes for overseas? And they want you to 'split' shipping costs?

You might want to move that 99.9% over to 100%.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
There was a news story here about a similar scam a few years ago. The dog was in Africa but it was an English Bulldog. The people they interviewed got scammed out of some serious cash.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing good ever comes out of Africa.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely a scam. My mom almost got taken by this one a few years ago, too.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
If you want a Yorkie that bad, I'm sure you can find one stateside that won't cost you nine hundred million dollars to have shipped from Africa. Now a lion, on the other hand, might be worth the cost.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing good ever comes out of Africa unsolicited email.
Well, wait a minute, it wasn't spam ... from the OP:
I saw an ad in the paper for a 2-year-old dog that the owner was giving to a good home. It listed an email address as the only contact.
What does the paper charge for a "pets available" ad? I suspect such ads are free.

I'd ask the paper about it, and forward to them what you got so far, and suggest they not accept ads with email contacts only (thought a phone-number-or-email contact is bound to have some random phone number the scammer tossed in - the rule should just be no email addresses), or perhaps they should CHARGE for "pets available" ads.

And to be "fair" to Nigeria (the "419 scam" is so-called because 419 is the part of the Nigerian law/code that makes the act illegal in Nigeria) and other African countries, these scams claim to come from everywhere nowadays, and they DO, though there may be no connection between where they claim to come from and where they actually come from. If you get to the point where they tell you a Western Union office to wire the money to, they're probably located within driving difference of that office. As a direct result of these scams, I've heard that Western Union offices now have signs up on the wall that say "Do not wire money to someone you do not know."

And for more fun, you might want to join http://419eater.com and see what they do, maybe post what happened to you as you did in this thread (this method of scamming may be new to them - they'll want to scour newspapers for for-free ads with email addresses), or you might even join them in wasting the time of these scammers. No doubt they would love to have the text of that ad, complete with the email address, but double-check the rules of posting such things on their forums.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks and God bless you.

Best Regards,
Jude
And another thing - these scammers always appear to be Christian, never Muslim (who instead might say Praise be to Allah!), nor agnostic or atheist or any other recognizable belief system, thus prey on the makority belief in the USA, all the Good (vulnerable) Christians. And within Christian belefs, using His name in this way is arguably taking His name in vain.

It's almost enough to make me wanna get baptised so I can believe these scammers will burn...

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it's a popular scam up where I live, too. Here's a write up about it, in case anyone is tempted by those puppies:

http://www.phonebusters.com/english/recognizeit_puppy.html

I know that scammers will use anything to make a buck, but it still makes me very angry that they would use the affection people feel for animals as a scam.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The first clue to this scam, I think, would be the offer of common breeds from another country, like from Africa for instance. It's not like Yorkies are the rarest of dogs, and you can't purchase them anywhere else except from the Dark Continent.

I mean, really. Yorkies are, by and large, the dumbest, least attractive choice for a pet canine you can think of; which makes the scam even more beautiful, that they can steal your money for a breed that isn't even desirable in the first place.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, really. Yorkies are, by and large, the dumbest, least attractive choice for a pet canine you can think of; which makes the scam even more beautiful, that they can steal your money for a breed that isn't even desirable in the first place.

Hey :( I love yorkies

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Scam.

They post those all over craigslist, often times as though the seller was local. It's only when you contact them do you find they're somewhere in Africa. And, of course, they just need the shipping costs to be paid beforehand.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Haha my SIL has two Yorkies. They're cute, but kinda lacking in personality. I'd take a sheltie over another small breed, anyway. I also like Shih Tzus or at least a cross.

If you're looking to adopt a dog, look for a local phone number and don't be sucked in by shipping costs.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. I was going by my personal experience with that breed. But if you've never owned one, please, by all means, consider another dog for your pleasure. You'll hate me now but love me later, I promise.

The dog is actually for my mom. I'm moving out soon (I hope/dream) and taking my two cats with me, and she wants a dog. She doesn't care about breed, she just wants a dog that's small enough to carry because our previous dog was 80+ pounds, and when she got old she had a really hard time with stairs. We're hoping to rescue one from a shelter or an owner who can no longer keep it, which is what I thought this ad was before I heard back.

My experience is with big shelter mixes and retrievers, but aunt does have a yorkie that is a lot of fun. It does some unique tricks and is a lap dog.

Africa or not, I'm not going to adopt a dog that needs to be shipped to me.

Robin

What have I gotten myself into?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbridges.com
We found a similar ad in our paper for pet monkeys. Hubby wanted to get one for daughter's birthday. I'm so glad he realized it was a scam before sending them any money.

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
The dog is actually for my mom. I'm moving out soon (I hope/dream) and taking my two cats with me, and she wants a dog. She doesn't care about breed, she just wants a dog that's small enough to carry because our previous dog was 80+ pounds, and when she got old she had a really hard time with stairs. We're hoping to rescue one from a shelter or an owner who can no longer keep it, which is what I thought this ad was before I heard back.

My experience is with big shelter mixes and retrievers, but aunt does have a yorkie that is a lot of fun. It does some unique tricks and is a lap dog.

Africa or not, I'm not going to adopt a dog that needs to be shipped to me.

What about a visit to your closest Humane Society? Go right to the source rather than look through ads.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tomo, try your local Humane Society. Many will take your name and number and call you when a dog of the breed you want is brought to them.

Another option is http://www.yorkierescue.com/

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Certainly a 491 scam. With puppies. I learn something new about this world every day. Here's Consumerist and 419 eater on the scam.

Tomo, stay well away from this. Those 419ers are bad people..