PDA

View Full Version : Pulling something out of a bag game

miles
04-07-2009, 09:27 PM
The antagonist in my story reaches into a pouch and draws a stone. One of them is marked "guilty." The other "innocent." He draws the "guilty" one and a woman is put to death.

When my protagonist finds out about this, his response is: “So her life basically came down to a game of .................

Anyone know of a game in which one must reach into a bag or box and draw a rock or card or something of that nature?

Thanks!

Millicent M'Lady
04-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Runes maybe?

Maryn
04-07-2009, 10:16 PM
When my protagonist finds out about this, his response is: ôSo her life basically came down to a game of .................
This doesn't quite match what you ask for, but how about, "So her life basically came down to pulling the short straw?"

Maryn, unable to think of a draw-one-unseen game

TheIT
04-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Sounds like "blackball", but I don't think it's a game. When voting someone into a group, the members of the group secretly drop either a white or a black ball into a pouch. If there are any black balls in there after everyone has voted, the candidate is rejected. "To blackball" someone would be to reject them.

Kitty Pryde
04-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I'd say, 'Her life basically came down to a statistics word problem."

miles
04-07-2009, 10:22 PM
This doesn't quite match what you ask for, but how about, "So her life basically came down to pulling the short straw?"

Maryn, unable to think of a draw-one-unseen game

Well, that's better than what I've been able to come up with. Thanks!

And thanks as well, Millicent. But I don't think enough people know what "Runes" is for that to work.

TheIT
04-07-2009, 10:23 PM
"So her life came down to pulling the wrong rabbit out of the hat?"

miles
04-07-2009, 10:32 PM
"So her life came down to pulling the wrong rabbit out of the hat?"

That's good too. Thanks!

kikilynn
04-07-2009, 10:35 PM
a game of chance? or her life came down to luck of the draw?

shokadh
04-07-2009, 10:36 PM
A crap-shoot?

rtilryarms
04-07-2009, 11:09 PM
It was no game.

Casting Lots or Drawing Lots was the biblical way.

Cyia
04-07-2009, 11:11 PM
It was no game.

Casting Lots or Drawing Lots was the biblical way.

Wasn't that called "Pur". (Like where the holiday "Purim" got its name. They cast the "Pur" to see on which day it would occur?")

You could also call it a variation of the shell game.

miles
04-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Wasn't that called "Pur". (Like where the holiday "Purim" got its name. They cast the "Pur" to see on which day it would occur?")

You could also call it a variation of the shell game.

The stones were called Urim and Thummim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urim_and_Thummim

Rabe
04-07-2009, 11:40 PM
The antagonist in my story reaches into a pouch and draws a stone. One of them is marked "guilty." The other "innocent." He draws the "guilty" one and a woman is put to death.

When my protagonist finds out about this, his response is: ôSo her life basically came down to a game of .................

Anyone know of a game in which one must reach into a bag or box and draw a rock or card or something of that nature?

Thanks!

Y'know, while reading the post, I thought the sentence would read "so her life came down to a game of stones?"

I've heard of this as a means of deciding something, but not really as a game. Unless you count Scrabble. *which I don't think you are ;)*

But, in this world, wouldn't there be a name for a game like that. Maybe just something as simple as 'Stones'? The way people used to play games with dice and there was a game called just Dice?

Rabe...

anicole_08
04-07-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't know if this will help but maybe you could just say it as it is and add to it like saying, "So her life basically came down to a game of chance... to have life or meet the reaper."
It might not work for you as I said. But I thought I might try to help you out some.

miles
04-08-2009, 12:01 AM
I don't know if this will help but maybe you could just say it as it is and add to it like saying, "So her life basically came down to a game of chance... to have life or meet the reaper."
It might not work for you as I said. But I thought I might try to help you out some.

Wow. First post a response to my question? Thanks!

Chase
04-08-2009, 04:37 PM

"So her life basically came down to a game of Scrabble?"

This game may be too modern or mundane, but it is named from the process of "pawing through a bag" for chance tiles.

Yes, I'll be quiet and go to my room.

The Lonely One
04-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Wow. First post a response to my question? Thanks!

I think it was in response to your question. Some folks don't know the ancient games of stone tossing but want to offer alternatives in case you don't get the answer you're looking for. I haven't seen any post that derails the thread, IMO.

*Lonely doesn't know the answer and will disappear thusly.

Ms Hollands
04-08-2009, 08:19 PM
I was also going to say "game of chance", but after seeing "game of stones", I think I like it better. It makes her death sound like it's the result of something even more basic than chance, and prevents possibly confusing the reader with the name of a game they may never have heard of (not talking about Scrabble).

Maryn
04-08-2009, 10:59 PM
I thought of another maybe-it'll-work. Her life came down to a grab-bag. It's not really a game, just a chance thing where kids draw a small prize or toy from a bag they can't see into.

Maryn, whose life is a grab-bag at times

miles
04-09-2009, 12:41 AM
I think it was in response to your question. Some folks don't know the ancient games of stone tossing but want to offer alternatives in case you don't get the answer you're looking for. I haven't seen any post that derails the thread, IMO.

*Lonely doesn't know the answer and will disappear thusly.

I think you got me wrong. When anicole gave her response, it was her first post here at AW. So, I felt honored that someone's very first post at this site would be one answering my question.:)

Thanks everyone else for the replies as well.

WildScribe
04-09-2009, 12:44 AM
I like "game of stones". You can even invent your own game of stones to go with your world and make it all the more meaningful to the story.

rtilryarms
04-09-2009, 04:16 AM
I think you got me wrong. When anicole gave her response, it was her first post here at AW. So, I felt honored that someone's very first post at this site would be one answering my question.:)

You know what? This morning I wrote a snippy remark about how you responded to anicole_08:

"Wow. First post a response to my question? Thanks!"

I read it like others apparently did:

Wow. First post a response to my question! Thanks!

OMG - thank goodness I am a sMod and able to delete because I read my post with the great delight that I berated you in my intellectually abusive nastiness and LO, I understood that I did not notice the ?

That kinda changes the meaning a million degrees doesn't it?

Anyway I sincerely apologize for thoughts you had no idea that I had but I felt bad all day anyway.

I am glad you got a great discussion and looks like you gleaned some help.

Good luck,

Mike

The Lonely One
04-09-2009, 08:30 AM

*Reappears from the smoke and shadows.

Ooops. My bad! Sorry, sorry, sorry. Who let me out of my cage?

*looks left, right, disappears back into smoke melodramatically. Coughs from smoke machine.

Maryn
04-09-2009, 05:27 PM
And all is forgiven by everybody. I've got muffins! Help yourselves.

Maryn, cyber-baker

rtilryarms
04-09-2009, 08:45 PM
And all is forgiven by everybody. I've got muffins! Help yourselves.

Maryn, cyber-baker

LOL.

And yet another writing lesson on writing unveils the significance of comprehensive reading...