A footnote problem

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Go to the first footnote that's screwed up-- actually go to the bottom of the page where the note is. Right click the number for the first footnote that's screwed up. Go to Note Options... (assuming Word2003-- I don't have my laptop on right now.)

In Note Options, this is the dialogue box for your footnotes. Find the Start At command. Change the number to what it should be. Look to make sure that you haven't changed settings for Restart at section break or something.

Did you change numbering at some point? Is 32 really a footnote? Somewhere the computer got the wrong information.

Hope this does it.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Go to the first footnote that's screwed up-- actually go to the bottom of the page where the note is. Right click the number for the first footnote that's screwed up. Go to Note Options... (assuming Word2003-- I don't have my laptop on right now.)

In Note Options, this is the dialogue box for your footnotes. Find the Start At command. Change the number to what it should be. Look to make sure that you haven't changed settings for Restart at section break or something.

Did you change numbering at some point? Is 32 really a footnote? Somewhere the computer got the wrong information.

Hope this does it.

I have 2007 but from trying from the tip that Matera linked to I know what you are talking about. Just so people know I have MSWord 2007. (I don't know why I keep forgetting to tell people that.) Click the Reference Tab. Where it says the word footnotes there is a tiny arrow on the right hand side and that's the dialogue box.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Did you try right clicking on the problem footnote? No, really, try it. If you've gotten two sets of auto-numbers going on, you have to correct the problem at the point where it got screwed up. And correcting the problem can't be done with the default dialogue box. =)

(I'm *pretty* sure Word2007 will do the right click on the footnote to get the dialogue box for that set of auto-numbered footnotes.)

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Did you try right clicking on the problem footnote? No, really, try it. If you've gotten two sets of auto-numbers going on, you have to correct the problem at the point where it got screwed up. And correcting the problem can't be done with the default dialogue box. =)

(I'm *pretty* sure Word2007 will do the right click on the footnote to get the dialogue box for that set of auto-numbered footnotes.)

I was doing a lot of cutting and rearranging earlier. Maybe I did something to screw it up cause nothing I'm doing is working. So now I just have it on numbered restart each page. That works fine. I wish I knew what I did so at least I don't do it again. *sigh*

Again thanks for the help.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Delete the 'Bad' footnote, and insert a new 'Good' one. (Copy your footnote reference text first).
Word should renumber the footnotes to accomodate for the "New" one.