Imagine you were made of glass...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
If you were a recycled glass kitchen countertop, where would I buy you, how much would you cost, and how durable are you? Hypothetically speaking, of course, because I don't really think you're made of glass.

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Doing home improvement? There was a feature on recycled glass counters on DIY a while back. I would say you'd have to net surf to find one. They're chic because they're supposedly environmentally friendly. *eye roll*

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Googling 'recycled glass countertops' brings us several manufacturers.

MM

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would be shiny and cold, and priceless. Aloof even. Very rare, you'd have to find me on the internet in a specialty shop.

WUT. I would.

A real one, I have no idea.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be made from recycled Coca-Cola bottles - tough, durable and very, very cool. :D

Don't know about real ones, though. However, I do know that, despite my initial misgivings, bamboo cutting boards are tough. In a faceoff between a paring knife and he board - the board won. Easily. And I was out a paring knife...

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Well first of all, I wouldn't be a kitchen countertop. I'd be a recycled glass bar counter made from recycled beer and whiskey bottles. And only the whiskey and beer bottles that held someone's most fervent wish at the bottom of them.

I'd be a potent and powerful glass bartop. People would come far and wide to see me and hang out with me and would have fond memories involving me. They'd come and have their pictures taken with me on their anniversaries and tell their kids about me. (A select few will probably conceive their kids on me!)

And you couldn't buy me, but would have to handcraft me yourself or seek out some mysterious craftsman, who I won't name but who some say is secretly a sorcerer, to make it for you.

Finding him would involve lots of travel to rarely visited places in New York City, Rome, Dublin, Madrid, the Andes and the Himalayas. As well as fasting, dreaming, wishing, climbing and it would entail a fair amount of physical danger.

And you couldn't find him unless he wanted to be found. You'd have to prove yourself worthy.

I'd be as durable as the Rock of Gibraltar, of course, since I'd be a bar counter, and I'd last for generations and more. I'd be a gleaming sheet of glass as hard as a bitter soul at the end of its days.

As for the price - ha! There is no way to estimate my value but the cost of making me will require from you: determination, heart, desperate need and a sincere love for humanity. My maker will know your worth.

But be prepared to give up at least one of your dreams and maybe even a couple of years of your life. Be prepared for many sleepless nights and the questioning of your sanity.

But trust me - n the end, you'll see that I'm worth it.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I know nothing about home improvement. If you were asking what flavor Ice cream I would be though, I'd go with Rum Raisin.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
I'm on a bit of a Dairy Queen binge lately. It is my favorite eatery and ours was severaly damaged during Hurricane Ike. It only recently reopened, about six months after the storm. Thank God! Blizzards are divine treats.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I'd be broke.

(Reference any one of my dozens of posts about my bankruptcy.)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
If you were a recycled glass kitchen countertop, where would I buy you, how much would you cost, and how durable are you? Hypothetically speaking, of course, because I don't really think you're made of glass.

I don't know....but remember to keep all of your home improvement receipts this year. There's a new Income Tax deduction. You can get back up to $1300.00 of your PST on all home improvements. I'm doing some now and have an envelope filled with receipts.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score

If you have to ask, you can't afford me...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know....but remember to keep all of your home improvement receipts this year. There's a new Income Tax deduction. You can get back up to $1300.00 of your PST on all home improvements. I'm doing some now and have an envelope filled with receipts.
I know! That's why we want to renovate the kitchen. We've put it off for a long time and things are looking pretty run down in there.

We're also replacing the garage door and roof this year. Don't think we'll have any trouble hitting the maximum for the tax credit!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
If you have to ask, you can't afford me...
Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of.

I googled recycled glass countertops and found suppliers that are nowhere near me, distributers that aren't much closer, and no prices at all. Just wondered if anyone had further info.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of.

I googled recycled glass countertops and found suppliers that are nowhere near me, distributers that aren't much closer, and no prices at all. Just wondered if anyone had further info.
I looked into this as well Caro and there are only a few dealers in the country that deal in recycled glass countertops- I really wanted to go this route but like you there are none even remotely near me- I decided to go with quartz instead- *sigh*

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I looked into this as well Caro and there are only a few dealers in the country that deal in recycled glass countertops- I really wanted to go this route but like you there are none even remotely near me- I decided to go with quartz instead- *sigh*
That's a shame because I really like the look of the recycled glass. It seems to be as durable as any sealed stone like granite or quartz. I'm not sure about the price, but if distributors and manufacturers are as far away as they seem to be, it might not be worth the cost of shipping. :(

It'll probably gain in popularity and ubiquity sometime after we decide to go with something else.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would be cobalt blue and custom created on site.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I know! That's why we want to renovate the kitchen. We've put it off for a long time and things are looking pretty run down in there.

We're also replacing the garage door and roof this year. Don't think we'll have any trouble hitting the maximum for the tax credit!

No! You'll cover your max. Our living room is in upheaval right now. I spent the entire weekend painting. We've been pricing counter-tops. I redecorated the great room/kitchen last year...except for the counter-top. Besides the fact that all the living room/foyer furniture is in a huge pile in the middle of the room, it's looking pretty fine in there. I still need to do another coat. Let me know what quotes you get...I saw a show on glass counter-tops and thought they rocked.