Okay, I Know You Want To Admit It.....

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
Is there anyone else on this board besides me who is scared of clowns? I don't mean simply thinking they are creepy or evil (which they are), I mean deep gut wrenching wet your pants kind of fear.

This is called coulrophobia. Maybe all we clown haters can get together and have a group hug or something.

And no, I do not need professional help. I mentioned this to one of my wife's colleagues who is a psych professor and she laughed at me. I fear a therapist would do the same.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brady, my very first doll was named Emmett Kelly, after the famous clown.

I did not fear him. He was my favorite doll.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a friend once who was afraid of clowns. If there was one doing face painting or making balloon animals in the park, he would freak out and have to leave. I thought it was a strange fear but I never laughed at him. I just stayed with him as we changed direction. And he did not laugh at me for making him drive my car approaching a bridge, watching me get out of the car and walking across that bridge spanning water, before getting back in the car. I know what caused my phobia. I never bothered him for the reasons he feared clowns. Each of us have our own baggage.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brady, if I dressed up as a clown, would you be afraid of me?

kikilynn

You can find me on occasion.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreader.wordpress.com
I have this really beautiful porcelain clown my parents got me in New Orleans. It's in my daughters room, at the top of her closet. It always looks like the eyes are watching me, freaky!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm soooooooooo tempted to post a clown picture. But I don't want Brady to get upset.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I used to have a terrifying fear of clowns as a kid, nightmares and all. The fear was at its most uncontrollable at night and the worst clown of them all was Ronald McDonald.

Funny now that my favourite horror stories are about clowns (IT and The Pilo Family Circus and I even wrote a short flash piece about a nightmare I had as a kid that I can still remember to this day.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
I'd just wet myself and scream. At least that is what happened when I took my son to the dentist and she had a clown theme in the waiting room.

I'm not allowed back there again.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a terrible fear of clowns but I so don't like 'em. The reason is because I think they hide behind their true feelings and are really not so nice. imho. Of course, not all clowns are that way, but it's just my general opinion about them.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How's this?

Okay, you can look again, I got rid of the clown.

Last edited:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I can't lay claim to a clownish phobia, but I had a problem with something...similar.

When I was a child, the Lil Abner cartoon strip was very popular, and one piece of merchandise derived from it was a very simple inflated vinyl Shmoo. I put mine away in the attic and had nightmares about it.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is this better, Brady?
<------------

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
If you were lucky like me and grew up with Howdy Doody, Buffalo Bob, and Clarabell (the clown) you'd never be afraid of them.
Phineas T. Bluster? that's a different matter.
:)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, I think I scared him away.

Sorry Brady.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
"I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains." - Rorschach, Watchmen...