No touching policy angers parents

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
MILFORD, Conn. (CBS) ― from stifu.com

A Connecticut middle school principal has laid down the law: You put your hands on someone -- anyone -- in any way, you're going to pay.

A violent incident that put one student in the hospital has officials at the Milford school implementing a "no touching" policy, according to a letter written by the school's principal.

East Shore Middle School parents said the change came after a student was sent to the hospital after being struck in the groin.

Principal Catherine Williams sent out a letter earlier in the week telling parents recent behavior has seriously impacted the safety and learning at the school.

"Observed behaviors of concern recently exhibited include kicking others in the groin area, grabbing and touching of others in personal areas, hugging and horseplay. Physical contact is prohibited to keep all students safe in the learning environment," Williams wrote.

Students and parents are outraged. They said the new policy means no high-fives and hugs, as well as horseplay of any kind. The consequences could be dire, Williams warned in the letter.

"Potential consequences and disciplinary action may include parent conferences, detention, suspension and/or a request for expulsion from school," Williams wrote.

Many think the school's no tolerance policy goes way too far. Others said it's utterly ridiculous.

"Now it's almost as if it's a sanitized school. Where you have to keep your distance from everybody? And that's not what school is about," one father said.

"What if they are out on the playground at recess, or in gym class?" parent Kathy Casey wondered. "You know, gym class is physical."

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
If people had common sense, and wouldn't bring suit against schools for "singling out" their kids when they took the touching too far, I'm sure the school could make a judgment call on a case-by-case basis. But in this day and time, litigation forces them to ban it all.

At least in my opinion...

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Well that's extreme. Why not a "no violent touching" policy? or "No hitting or kicking"?

I doubt this will be strictly enforced. It's impossible to expect there to be no physical contact whatsoever.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
What a bunch of idiots.

Lets see how well a basket toss works when the cheerleaders can't touch each other.

Andrew

Most of the rules gotta go...
Registered
Reaction score
One of the primary qualificaitons to be a public school Principal or Administrator is to prove your IQ is not over 100.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
No more free hugs.

<sighs>

Sometimes, I really wonder if I want to be a teacher if I'm going to be working with school administrations this blindingly stupid.

kikilynn

You can find me on occasion.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreader.wordpress.com
I understand the idea of it, but the principal is taking things too far. When Columbine happened, my school was on complete lock down. Students weren't allowed to wear their trench coats. It was mad, everyone pointing fingers. This is extreme, but at the same time most schools already have a violence against other policy. I know mine did. If things are getting out of hand at the school, maybe the principal is trying to make a point. Saying that their behavior is what caused this to happen, once they learn to control themselves it can go back to normal type of thing.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to kids, we seem to have a hard time being rational.

Which is understandable...but it does get annoying for the kids and for the people who are better able to think straight.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I nearly got myself expelled from school, but I earned myself and my friends immunity from a "everyone at school is affected by the actions of a few heavy handed rule" in high school.

The principal is just overreacting because he doesn't know what else to do.

The rule will change.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
Though I'm no fan of getting kicked in the groin, I think maybe a blanket policy such as this goes a bit too far. One of our radio personalities here once said that zero tolerance makes zero sense.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It would make teachers constantly busy with monitoring hugs and pats on the backs and things, too, wouldn't it? We're too busy to have seen who started a fight, so let's make sure we add in figuring out who began the high five.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
From the article, it seems like it was a series of incidents topped off by the hospitalization of a student that brought this over the top response from the administration. (I filled in for the receptionist at a middle school in our district for two weeks. You would not believe the calls and complaints that came into that office from parents.)

Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail and a more relaxed but clearly defined policy will be put in place.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
This is middle school, where you can SORT of control your actions. I'm currently at an elementary school, where children routinely throw themselves at you for a hug as they pass in the hallway.

This would SO not work for us.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Oh good. Like teachers don't have enough to do. *End sarcasm.* This is the dumbest thing. Stupid thing aside, I wonder if a policy like this would affect kids' psychology.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh good. Like teachers don't have enough to do. *End sarcasm.* This is the dumbest thing. Stupid thing aside, I wonder if a policy like this would affect kids' psychology.

Of course it would.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
Come to think of it, if you could get expelled for kicking each other in the groin and/or flatulence in class, none of the people I went to school with would have made it out of 7th grade.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A kid could get somebody they don't like expelled just by "accidentally" brushing up against them in the hall.

Yeah, like there's no room for abuse of the rule.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
And a personal foul in basketball would have more than a game penalty, and no more pattycake...
Well, it's a stupid policy, but then my state suspended kindergardeners for making "guns" out of their hands and playing cops and robbers. So I come from the land of stupid policies. :D
But can they make like they're using bows to shoot arrows at each other, can call each other names such as "Native American giver?"

I've heard innumerable stories such as a child being sent to the principal for using the "weapons" of pencil and paper to draw an image of a gun, and a high school girl treated as a heroin dealer under the "zero tolerance drug policy" when caught giving an aspirin to another girl who asked her for one because she was having her period.

What do these stories have in common? They all happen in "public schools," schools funded and controlled by the US Government.

We've even discussed such troubles before, right here in River City Office Party and P&CE:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30504
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100743
No more free hugs.

<sighs>

Sometimes, I really wonder if I want to be a teacher if I'm going to be working with school administrations this blindingly stupid.
Have you considered applying to be a teacher at private schools?
Though I'm no fan of getting kicked in the groin, I think maybe a blanket policy such as this goes a bit too far. One of our radio personalities here once said that zero tolerance makes zero sense.
There's a "radio personality" in Atlanta who says "Every morning so many of you take the most precious things in your lives, your children, and you send them off to be educated by the Government." I think he's even called this child abuse, a charge not even Dr. Phil has made.
You mean they would learn to think of authority as being totally stupid and idiotic? Or that The Authority Is There To Protect Them even when it can't? Or lead them to some other conclusion or belief that may or may not be true, but that hinders how well they function later in life?