Shadow Unit: Bear, Bull, Shetterly, Monette, and Downum

• Thread starter Deleted member 42
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

Shadow Unit is a collaborative online serial with extras, created by Emma Bull, Elizabeth Bear, Sarah Monette, Amanda Downum--all of them exceedingly well known award-winning SF authors.

Here's the concept:

Emma Bull said:
. . . A show no one had ever seen. It would share DNA with Criminal Minds, with The X-Files and Millennium, with Man from U.N.C.L.E. and the old paramedic show Emergency, with The Avengers and a British paranormal series I barely remember called The Champions and a short-lived U.S. series called The Sixth Sense.

The show I was imagining had never aired. But why couldn't I write episodes for it? Why couldn't I write fan fiction for a show that didn't exist?

(Taken from here).

They're now in their second season of episodes, and in addition to the content by the writers, there's fan fiction, and livejournals and a wiki and a discussion board.

I'm a cynic about writing, and a snob, and picky. I'm particularly so in terms of online writing, but this is some really good stuff, and it's enormously fun.

Anyone else reading?

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I keep meaning to, but am a bit daunted by how much there is to catch up on...

Deleted member 42

I keep meaning to, but am a bit daunted by how much there is to catch up on...

Don't be. It's not going to get stale, and it's very much something you can dip and out of.

It's also available in lots of e-book forms, thanks to Arachne Jericho.

I checked Shadow Unit out when it first came out, and just didn't really like it.

I think partly it has a slow start; the second episode of the first season got me hooked though.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Thanks to the discussion on hyperfiction I found my way to Shadow Unit. I'm almost to the end of the first season. Fun stuff, and a nice ride.

Deleted member 42

Thanks to the discussion on hyperfiction I found my way to Shadow Unit. I'm almost to the end of the first season. Fun stuff, and a nice ride.

Do look around, and check out the character's LiveJournals.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Here's a really helpful list of links for some of the extras and easter eggs, too - I found a lot of stuff I'd missed during my own recent kamikaze first season read -- which is good, because it helped the withdrawal symptoms while I wait for the next episode to go up.

ETA: oh, and here's a link to the Shadow Unit wiki

Last edited:

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! A little challenging to keep track of all the pieces, but an excellent read.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
I'm also in the "meaning to read but haven't gotten around to it yet" camp. Looks like good stuff. One of these days I'll make a dent in my to-read stack, I swear.

Status
Not open for further replies.