Brady's Hurricane Tips

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
My Dear AW Friends,

The beginning of hurricane season, is unfortunately, two months away. Rita and Ike have been the two storms of note that I have seen in the past few years. There have also been several tropical storms. My job, of course, requires me to stay behind during storms, but I've compiled some tips with the help of my wife who went through Ike (her first hurricane, though she evacuated, she still got slapped pretty good in NE Texas).

I know others on the AW Forum have similar storm experience. Any humorous hurricane tips you wish to share?

1. Cats do not like five hour evacuations. Particularly when they are sharing the car with a dog.

2. If you smoke, make sure you buy a carton before the stores close. It might be a week or two before you can replentish your stash.

3. If you leave a vehicle at home, do not park it under a tree.

4. If your neighbors won't pick up the crap in their yard. Do it for them. After all, it isn't their windows that it will break.

5. Put your insurance agent's number on speed dial. You will get to know them very well in the aftermath of the storm.

6. When buying a home, if the listing says "Lovely water view!" that really means 12 feet of storm surge in your living room.

7. Slapping people when they get hysterical doesn't work in real life like it works in the movies.

8. MREs actually taste pretty good.

9. When buying a house, it might be a good idea if you get one that is in the same power grid as a police or fire station. You power will be back in days, not weeks.

10. If your mother is capable of driving herself, let her!

All of the above have happened either to me or a member of my family.

I was lucky during Ike. My house, which we bought six weeks before the hurricane, was built in 1932, so it has endured quite a bit over the years. Houses around me weren't quite so lucky. I escaped with just a few thousand in damage, but none of it serious.

If I hear "Hunker Down" or "POD" one more time I think I will explode.

Last edited:

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Keep plenty of nonperishable foods and water on hand.
Watch for downed power lines and those about to go down.
Watch for dangerous tree limbs.
Keep car gas tanks full.
Have battery powered radios and batteries for them.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We just had three trees removed from our yard. One was right next to the house.

So hopefully, at least we won't have a tree fall on the house if there's a hurricane.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Get one of those weather radios is you don't have one. They're not expensive - but they are invaluable.