childhood/adolescent cancers

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
Hi, everyone. I'm looking for someone (or a few people) who can give me information on childhood and adolescent cancers, either their personal experiences with them, or their medical knowledge of them.

The story I'm doing research for is about a teenage girl who survived childhood cancer and has just found out that she's sick again. I'm thinking that it's probably a type of leukemia, but I haven't decided for sure yet.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the future, but right now I'd love to hear any general information you might want to share with me--anything you think I SHOULD know before writing. You can either post in this thread, PM me or send me an email at carolinga.mora (at) gmail (dot) com.

One thing in particular that I would like to know now: if she was recently diagnosed and hadn't yet begun treatment (I'm tentatively thinking that she doesn't want to go through treatment again and is resisting), how would she feel? I've read the symptoms, but I'd love some insight that is more than just a bulleted list. I know this will vary considerably from person to person, but, say, would she feel like taking a road trip? Going dancing? What would she not want to do, physically speaking (if that makes sense)?

I'm trying to figure out if the idea I have of the things she can do is unrealistic. One of the subplots I've thought up involves going on a road trip to visit her father, but I don't want to send her off gallivanting across the continental US if that's not something she could realistically feel like doing.

I would truly appreciate any and all comments you might have!

AngelRoseDarke

Kind-hearted stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelrosedarke.110mb.com
In my experience, it would depend on how advanced the disease is. A lot of people don't feeling sick at all at the time that they first get diagnosed. If she is lucky enough to find out early on she could most certainly take a road trip.