PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who have sold books via an agent

Michael Baker
04-05-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm curious, how long did it take from the time the agent submitted your manuscript to the time you got an offer?

Shady Lane
04-05-2009, 06:27 PM
4 months

Melissa_Marr
04-05-2009, 07:27 PM
This can really vary. I understand the urge to look for a pattern, but there isn't one. (Sorry.) My first book sold within a week. The first offer (which we refused) on it was the next business day after we sent it. A friend had her first offer after 10 months on submission. The range of response time is vast.

roskoebaby
04-06-2009, 09:08 AM
With my first agent, I was on sub for seven months. Nada. On my own, I subbed for three weeks before my first offer. No rhyme or reason.... :)

Nakhlasmoke
04-06-2009, 09:35 AM
This can really vary. I understand the urge to look for a pattern, but there isn't one. (Sorry.) My first book sold within a week. The first offer (which we refused) on it was the next business day after we sent it. A friend had her first offer after 10 months on submission. The range of response time is vast.

*Clings to the little spar of hope.*

Danthia
04-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Mine was just under a month. Though we got the first offers within the first few weeks. There's really no way of knowing, you just have to hang in there and wait.

brainstrains
04-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Six weeks for me. I remember being under the impression that if I was going to have serious interest-- meaning publishers fighting over me-- I would hear back right away. I figured that since I hadn't anything in the first week, my book wasn't one of those "hot" ones. I was just settling in for a nice, long wait when I got a pre-empt.

Maprilynne
04-07-2009, 12:00 AM
My first one that didn't end up selling we didn't hear a single thing for three months and actually have never gotten a response from some of them. My book that sold started getting responses (rejections!) the next day and got it's first offer in about three weeks.

Maprilynne
04-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Six weeks for me. I remember being under the impression that if I was going to have serious interest-- meaning publishers fighting over me-- I would hear back right away. I figured that since I hadn't anything in the first week, my book wasn't one of those "hot" ones. I was just settling in for a nice, long wait when I got a pre-empt.

I love your story!!!

brainstrains
04-07-2009, 06:53 PM
I love your story!!!

Thanks Aprilynne! :) I'm actually shocked that WINGS got any rejections, and that it took as long as 3 weeks to get a first offer. It's gonna be HUGE :)

Also, another story to add about timing not meaning anything-- my friend had her book rejected continuously for 9 months by dozens of publishers, only to have 2 major publishers fighting over it! So really, you never know...

YAwriter72
04-08-2009, 02:26 AM
Awesome stories! My agent and I are putting the final touches on my debut YA and I am sick to my stomach nervous. I will cling to y'all's great luck! :)

bethany
04-08-2009, 03:48 AM
5 weeks? At 4 weeks she nudged and I was all freaked out and started revising for our second tier of editors, a few days later we had an offer.

Conant
04-10-2009, 01:52 AM
I submitted to five or six agents in early March and still haven't heard a yay or nay. How many agents to you usually send your manuscript to? Or a query letter, as the case may be?

Shady Lane
04-10-2009, 01:56 AM
conant, do you mean you subbed or your agent subbed?

Conant
04-10-2009, 02:16 AM
I was the one who subbed. I'm just wondering how long it usually takes to get a yes or a no, or even some basic advice if it's a refusal. I know it varies, I'm simply curious as to how long before they usually reply. I'm a first-time author, so I'm pretty inexperienced in these things.

Shady Lane
04-10-2009, 02:19 AM
without an agent, you're in for a long wait--if you get an answer at all. can I ask why you're querying editors and not agents?

Conant
04-10-2009, 02:20 AM
I was querying agents. I was wondering how long before an agent usually replies.

Shady Lane
04-10-2009, 02:21 AM
I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about submitting to editors. for response times for agents, the best way to check is to go to the bewares and background check forums and search each agent you queried. it's impossible to make generalizations, like you guessed. some agents answer in 20 minutes, some take 6 months.