space bar stuck!!!!

Angel_Lorena26

Registered
Reaction score
my damn space bar is stuck I really have to press on it hard for it to work I refuse to work on my novel till this is resolve does anyone have any advice? Sorry about the swearing im peeved because my cat has been biting the printer USB cord.

Deleted member 42

my damn space bar is stuck I really have to press on it hard for it to work I refuse to work on my novel till this is resolve does anyone have any advice? Sorry about the swearing im peeved because my cat has been biting the printer USB cord.

You need to check for instructions about your particular keyboard, but it's possibly it just needs cleaning.

Often you can gently lift off the plastic key cap, clean around the key by removing obvious crud, then replace the keycap. You do this with the keyboard unplugged from a desktop, or the power and battery removed from a laptop.

This needs to be done very very gently, and carefully; there are very fragile plastic "hooks" or clips on the underside of a key than are easilly broken.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
And keyboards are generally cheap (if it's not a laptop). You might check your area for a computer expo, you can usually pick them up for a couple dollars there.

Most often, stuck keys on a keyboard are due to something getting in the workings (soda or crumbs). MOST keyboards do, as Medievalist pointed out, allow you to gently pry them upwards and clean under them. Use alcohol to clean them, if you can. As a LAST resort, this only works sometimes, but it's nice if you're about to throw away the keyboard (be sure you know where you're getting a replacement before you try this), you can run the keyboard through the dishwasher on the upper rack.

On the other hand, if it's a laptop, that's a whole 'nuther game...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
You need to check for instructions about your particular keyboard, but it's possibly it just needs cleaning.
Keyboards come with instructions? I haven't seen any...
Often you can gently lift off the plastic key cap, clean around the key by removing obvious crud, then replace the keycap. You do this with the keyboard unplugged from a desktop, or the power and battery removed from a laptop.

This needs to be done very very gently, and carefully; there are very fragile plastic "hooks" or clips on the underside of a key than are easilly broken.
Get a Model M, you can make the keys stick if you eat enough PBJ's over it, but it's always cleanable.
And keyboards are generally cheap (if it's not a laptop). You might check your area for a computer expo, you can usually pick them up for a couple dollars there.
Computer keyboards, almost always working, are available at most any thrift store. If you see a Model M (has the slanted IBM logo in an oval), get that one, if you don't like the clickity clack, you can sell it for $30+ and get ten more computer-expo or thrift-store keyboards.

Thrift stores mostly have keyboards with the PS2 connector, but USB keyboards often show up too.
On the other hand, if it's a laptop, that's a whole 'nuther game...
If the laptop has either a "PS2" keyboard connector (the round connector, all desktop machines have 'em, I think few laptops do anymore) you can plug in a PS2 keyboard, or if you have an extra USB port (uses a rectanglular connector) you can plug in a USB keyboard.

Ben, Model M promoter.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
If the laptop has either a "PS2" keyboard connector (the round connector, all desktop machines have 'em, I think few laptops do anymore) you can plug in a PS2 keyboard, or if you have an extra USB port (uses a rectanglular connector) you can plug in a USB keyboard.

You can get PS2/ USB adapters. I had one on my old mouse until I scrolled the scroll wheel out. (I admit being proud of that!) I'm sure some place like Office Staples Depot will have them. They may also come with a new mouse/ keyboard.

Oh yeah... don't eat over the keyboard! My dad got pretty good with redrawing the keyboard lines. Ya'd think he would have just stopped knocking his Coke into the keyboard. :rolleyes: It's not worth is, IMHO.