Money or Respect: Which would you choose?

Which would you choose: Money or Respect?

• Total voters

shokadh

Now serving Table for 300
Registered
Reaction score
With all of the discussion in other posts about Twilight and Eragon, which would you rather have, long-term royalties flowing your way for the rest of your life, but being disliked by the general literary community, or modest (and sporadic) income with high regard among your writing peers? And why? Just curious what people would go for, if they had the chance.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Money. Critical acclaim doesn't pay the rent.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather have both. But if I could only have one, I'd take the money. Respect is beautiful, but it's intangible and never, ever universal. (The number of truly great writers you can see getting run down mercilessly on AW on any given day of the week is staggering.) Whereas money is actually of use.

shokadh

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, would you sell-out for the money? I've thought about just writing some tripe that sells well, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I can't compromise my standards, even if trash is selling well.

Reaction score
I'd rather have respect.

Because if you have enough of THAT, people will see you right financially. ;)

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I've always been a sell out for money. I already know that my stories will be panned by many critics. So, I'll just take the money and run.

Besides, I'm a high school teacher. If I wanted respect, I would have picked a different career.

Reaction score
I'd love more money than I have, but I just couldn't live with myself if I wrote something that was beneath me for cash. A clear conscience is the softest pillow. ;)

Although I'd quite like both...:D

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
If it was one or the other, I'd go for respect.
I'd rather have respect as well as bill paying money, though. :D

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
There seems to be a disconnect somewhere in the basic poll question. It assumes that Paolini/Meyers/etc... knowingly wrote bad books that would incur the ire of the literary community solely for the sake of making a lot of money. Which they did not, because neither of them could have foreseen the cash cows their books became. No one can predict the success of novels in the marketplace, and I very seriously doubt either of those authors considered their books "trash" or that they were "selling out" by writing them. They were telling stories; they got lucky.

But that's just my opinion. ;)

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I think of my writing as a career hopefully in the making. Writing would be my *job* and I would happily write accordingly; which means I'd have no problem taking direction from the people I'd be working for, like a publisher who's paying me.

Those of you who dismiss writing tripe for money (which means tripe that sells) have no idea how hard it is, LOL.

Smiles,
EM

shokadh

Registered
Reaction score
There seems to be a disconnect somewhere in the basic poll question. It assumes that Paolini/Meyers/etc... knowingly wrote bad books that would incur the ire of the literary community solely for the sake of making a lot of money. Which they did not, because neither of them could have foreseen the cash cows their books became. No one can predict the success of novels in the marketplace, and I very seriously doubt either of those authors considered their books "trash" or that they were "selling out" by writing them. They were telling stories; they got lucky.

No--no. A judgment about those authors is not what I intended. I'm not saying they wanted to write trash, or that they did write trash. I'm not judging those works. I'm just wondering about other things I've read that seemed to be selling well, but that I would have considered a "sell-out" of my own standards, if I wrote that way. I could make a quick buck that way, but I don't want to, that's all.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score

I agree.

I'd take the money, but I'd never put something out there that I myself didn't respect. What the "literary community" thinks, I couldn't care less. If people are enjoying my work enough to give me long-term royalties, that's good enough for me.

Nicole

ChrisKelly331

Peter Steele <3
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinakelly.webs.com
you cant eat critical acclaim. that being said it would kill me if someone called me "the next Stephenie Meyer" but if someone were to call me "the next Anne Rice" I would be over the moon. so I'll go with respect.

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Money.

Respect and an empty bag is worth a bag.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
It's a false dichotomy -- no one makes Meyer-level money without the adoration, and yes, respect, of a whole lot of people. Writers might not have a lot of respect for her craft, critics might not have a lot of respect for her work, some readers just won't like her, but you can't say the people who are buying the books (by the metric shitload) don't respect her.

So, in answer to your question, money. Because with it comes a level of respect. And, if you get really lucky, hordes of teenage female fans.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I don't write for the "general literary community." I write for "readers," whoever they may be. If I'm making money, readers obviously respect my writing enough to shell out their hard-earned dollars for it. If I wrote the best story I could, then I've earned self-respect, and that's enough for me.

Personally, I think this type of question is a false dichotomy that causes writers a lot of unnecessary angst.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
well, i think you write what you can write, and you do the best job you can at it. Meyers, Paolini, Stephen King, they all devote hours and hours and hours to their writing. Maybe they didn't do the best job in some areas of the craft, but they sure figured out how to tell a riveting story. If it were easy, the rest of us would be selling millions, too.

that said, I'd rather write what i want to write, and hope other people like it, than do something like freelancing or ghostwriting just so I could say "I pay my bills with my writing." So I voted for respect. There are other ways to make a lot of money (though I can't say I do any of those, either, so maybe it's just me and my issues....)

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
For me, life's too short and I value family, friends, nature, and simplicity. Having and giving respect is a part of a great life, and if part of that respect comes from being an inspiring author, even sweeter. Having enough money is a relief, but too much causes phony happiness. IMHO.