Iowa Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage ban "unconstitutional"

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
This is good news. Hopefully the religious right will soon realize they're on the losing side of history. Unfortunately I doubt it though.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
At the news conference, Jason Morgan, who was with his partner, Chuck Swaggerty, said they had been together nearly 12 years.
"We've been together in sickness and health, through the death of his mother, through the adoption of our children, through four long years of this legal battle," Morgan said, choking up. "And if being together through all of that isn't love and commitment or isn't family or isn't marriage, then I don't know what is."

This says it all.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Meanwhile, a same sex couple in California, who have been together 23 years and registered as domestic partners in 1991, and have children, are being parted, breaking up their family. One of them is being deported to the Philippines, because the federal immigration laws only recognize actual marriage when it comes to one's partner's immigration status.

All that other stuff means nothing.

"Under the federal Defense of Marriage Act, domestic partnerships and even legal same-sex marriages, such as those last year in California and which still occur in Massachusetts, aren't recognized as valid in immigration cases."

Signed by Bill Clinton, in an act of political cowardice.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2009/04/03/MNSF16QV9B.DTL

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
This is good news. Hopefully the religious right will soon realize they're on the losing side of history. Unfortunately I doubt it though.

Oh, they've been *great* sports throughout history at accepting and endorsing scientific and social advancements! ^_^

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile, a same sex couple in California, who have been together 23 years and registered as domestic partners in 1991, and have children, are being parted, breaking up their family. One of them is being deported to the Philippines, because the federal immigration laws only recognize actual marriage when it comes to one's partner's immigration status.

All that other stuff means nothing.

"Under the federal Defense of Marriage Act, domestic partnerships and even legal same-sex marriages, such as those last year in California and which still occur in Massachusetts, aren't recognized as valid in immigration cases."

Signed by Bill Clinton, in an act of political cowardice.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2009/04/03/MNSF16QV9B.DTL

Fucked.

Up.

Feiss

Sleeps during the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wooohooo!! Hooray IOWA

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go Iowa! Hopefully this can happen in Washington sometime soon, preferably before I'm dead.

Phoebe H

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ph-unbalanced.livejournal.com
Go Iowa! Hopefully this can happen in Washington sometime soon, preferably before I'm dead.

Well, the Supreme Court here already spoke a few years ago. So I think it will only happen in Washington legislatively. ERW's strategy seems to be an aggressively incremental one. I'd be very surprised if Jamie Pedersen doesn't introduce a bill in 2010. It might even pass then, but I think 2011 for sure.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Iowa and to tell the truth, I'm not surprised to see this come out of my native state. Iowans have a true sense of fairness and justice that you don't see everywhere. I am very proud of Iowa.

Of course, I'm sure that small but vocal elements in the state won't try to take away the rights of a group of people who they don't like. I hope they don't succeed and that Iowa – verdant, educated, fly-over Iowa – becomes a belweather for the rest of the country.

Iowa state motto:
"Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain."

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Iowans kick ass!

You guys are now part of the "states that actually matter" list I have.

Zoombie's List:

California
Iowa.

I mean, we all know California takes up 95% of the entire country and the rest of the states are all squeezed over to the back anyway...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Iowa! NJ is considering legalizing same-sex marriage, but it's unlikely they'll do anything until after the gubernatorial election in November.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Today, the first same-sex couples were married in Iowa. I raise a glass to them, and will raise it higher when they get the federal benefits I do.

Pretty pictures here and here.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today, the first same-sex couples were married in Iowa. I raise a glass to them, and will raise it higher when they get the federal benefits I do.

You get Federal benefits for being married?? Like what??

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
You get Federal benefits for being married?? Like what??

Like my husband's Social Security if he dies. Like being able to file our taxes as married. Like avoiding inheritance taxes. There are some we don't get, but other couples would, like those who were in the military. You really don't know of the federal benefits of marriage? I don't mean that snidely; just wondering.