I am thinking about getting a tattoo...

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Which of these sounds good for you?

Tattoo place would probably be on the back of my neck, just above the collarbone (rught aroudn the base of the spine, to be specific, I guess).

I have a few designs I would like:

La Vie Boheme
No day but today
The kanji for 'Believe' (which in Romaji is 'shinji')
Unlimited

Are any of those good/bad ideas? Let's start voting, peeps!

Also, is the base of the neck/spine (I can't really explain where it is) a good or bad idea for a tattoo?

Fun fact: I already know I am getting a series done on my arm. For every novel I publish, an icon from that novel will be tattooed in a chain around my arm.

writeronfire

Like my boots?
Registered
Reaction score
I like the one with Believe.

I have a tat on my shoulder so I'm in favor of them.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
keep it simple :D

CrayLogo.jpg

Reaction score
And me. In favour, I mean.

I'm not inked but I will be when the time is right; when something big happens with my writing. Getting an agent, a contract, on publication, that sort of thing.

ETA: Me and Lori discussed the 'chain' idea on MSN weeks ago, so there. :tongue

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of tatoos on the neck, head/face, or arms.

Always thought that the shoulders/back and legs were the best place for tatoos.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
it sounds painful. less 'meat' and closer to bone.

dunno, nacho. i thought about getting one, once upon a time and now i'm glad i didn't.

YMMV

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I thought back on the tattoo ideas I had in the past. I'm so glad I didn't go through with them. Tribal tats may have looked cool at one point but not so much anymore.

I talked with a friend of a colleague who got a barbwire tattoo around his bicep 5 years before that became a stereotype. He's really ticked about how passe it is now. He hates the idea of getting a cover.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
permanently tattooing yourself should be made illegal.

there is no design that can improve the human body.

LOCK THREAD

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I have a tattoo on the back of my neck. Painwise, it wasn't bad at all.

CIMG0598.jpg

That high on the neck looks like a good place. I can speak from experience that tatoos on your spine HURT LIKE HELL. I nearly passed out, but he was a bad tatooist and went too deep with the gun so all the ink faded into my bloodstream anyway. Need to have it redone now.

I vote for Believe. :D

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know I am old...but I never understood the desire for a tat. To mar your body just never made any sense to me. What ever you have done, make sure that when you are a mid life person that you will still like it. IMHO

I have met many young folks that now are sorry they did them. It has not aided in finding a job. So many places do not want you when you have them.

Reaction score
Does that make it right, though?

If you cater your life to other people's opinions that's no life at all.

I wouldn't want a job if it meant grooming or decorating myself according to someone else's view of the world.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go for the "believe", too. Just make sure the symbol is right! Don't want the symbol for "onion" on your neck for ever more. :D

As for me, I'm currently inkless, but I have two in mind. One of which will be large, painful and no doubt expensive. It'll probably be my "hurray I'm published" present to myself. :D

Edit - The chain sounds great, too!

Last edited:

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I, um, I don't think that a rather permanent decision like getting a tattoo should be done by committee... In my opinion, something like this is a personal decision that only the one getting it can be making. Only YOU really know you, and you're the only person who can decide which would be most fitting for YOU to have. It shouldn't be based on whether a group of people like option 1 or option 7... it should only be based on you.

I can't tell you how many students I've had who had inklings of regrets after they got the tattoo that their friends thought was best. Which just reinforces my belief that a tattoo is a personal decision, not one that should ever be placed before committee. And if you don't have a strong enough opinion regarding the tattoo... perhaps more thought should go into this rather permanent decision. This is sort of thing one should NOT be indecisive or unsure of. In my never so humble opinion. =)

Note1: Don't know if any of this really applies-- but it sure looks like a committee request.

Note2: I don't give a fig who gets what inked, branded, or otherwise done to them. It's a personal choice.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Does that make it right, though?

If you cater your life to other people's opinions that's no life at all.

I wouldn't want a job if it meant grooming or decorating myself according to someone else's view of the world.

Right, wrong, or indifferent...it's still a fact of life.

I'd like to a get a tatoo myself (and probably will someday), but I'm not dumb enough to put it in a highly visible area. To me, if something is going to become permanent on my body by my choosing, that makes it a personal issue...something that I don't want EVERYBODY to see. Getting a tatoo, to me, is something that I do FOR ME. Not really for the benefit of people who see it.

Hence the reason why I've wanted one for a few years now, but still haven't done it. I can't think of anything I want to put on my body permanently, but lately I've been thinking of something having to do with my kids somehow. And when I get one, it'll probably go somewhere on my shoulder blade area.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I have met many young folks that now are sorry they did them. It has not aided in finding a job. So many places do not want you when you have them.

Probably depends where you live. My first job, my boss ( an exec in a big pharmaceuticals company) had full sleeve tattoos. Didn't do his career any harm :D Neither me or the Old Man have ever been turned down for a job because of a tattoo. In fact, if I didn't have any, I'd be the odd one out at work.

And I don't see it as marring - no more than ear piercing. It's body art - an expression of individuality. ( or can be - all those generic tattoos are a real turn off, but only because they show that the person with them probably has little imagination)

I'm currently barred from having another tattoo ( until my hubby has another one, so he catches up lol) but I'm going to have something done re my book.

Maybe my cover on my thigh, with the flaming hand pointing up? :D

I, um, I don't think that a rather permanent decision like getting a tattoo should be done by committee... In my opinion, something like this is a personal decision that only the one getting it can be making.

I agree 100%. Your body, your expression, your choice.

Last edited:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
YUK

I HATE them - dye your hair purple or green instead. At least you can change that!
Just like metal stuck in your face, tats do nothing to improve looks - or appeal.
I know, I'm in the minority, but can't help it.
:)

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I HATE them - dye your hair purple or green instead. At least you can change that!
Just like metal stuck in your face, tats do nothing to improve looks - or appeal.
I know, I'm in the minority, but can't help it.
:)

I'll agree with the "metal stuck in your face" sentiment. That kind of thing is just disgusting to me.

But I've seen some tats that actually added attractiveness. Obviously, a girl with tatoos on her arms is immediately unattractive to me, because that's kind of a "male" place to have a tatoo and the only women I've seen who've had them on their arms are women who were very masculine.

(btw, that's just my opinion and my experience...if it doesn't match with someone else's, try not to take it personally)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Obviously, a girl with tatoos on her arms is immediately unattractive to me, because that's kind of a "male" place to have a tatoo and the only women I've seen who've had them on their arms are women who were very masculine.

(btw, that's just my opinion and my experience...if it doesn't match with someone else's, try not to take it personally)

Oh, I'm uber macho!

*looks down at pink frillies* Er, sometimes?

:D