Touchy problem - would like to bump heads

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Friends, writers, AWians; lend me your ears (and words).

Situation, part 1: A local artist has been teaching a for-fun drawing class where I work. The classes will be over in mid-April. A young man who has been attending arrived at the notion that he might continue the class.

Situation, part 2: Aside from the fact that this cute goth (who reminds me of my MC, omg) has no credentials whatsoever and no real training (I have more than enough to know), I am now concerned that he may be getting himself and his family into big financial trouble.

He came in today to bookmark his website (squick!) so that we-the-staff could see his artwork and read his plans for the course. Because he mis-remembered his password, he had to go through a goodly runaround that involved contacting the online college that he is taking a course from. That is how I know a lot more than I did before. (My motto, "I don't ask questions, I just find out", proves its worth many times.)

When I got home, I immediately began to goog up info about the school. It has physical campuses in many locations as well as a large web curriculum. It also has lawsuits, dozens of posts on ripoffreport.com, and horror stories by former students and staff in enough other forums, etc., to be scary.

The impression I get is that it is heavy on recruitment and light on admission standards. A recurring theme is a demand for more money just when the student is on the edge of a degree. Another is that a degree from this institution is not worth a whole lot, and the course material is puny.

Problem, part 1: We-the-staff and board members have to tell him NO tactfully and redirect him to some other outlet. He does have natural ability, but he needs disciplined training in order to realize it. Taking an online course in animation from Unnamed College is only going to suck thousands of dollars. Which leads to...

Problem, part 2: I need to explain to him and everyone else involved that he is hip-deep in potential do-do with no likelihood of getting anything useful for the money. His family is not rich!

Owooooooo!

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Could you not just direct him to the same websites and forums that raised your hackles? A diplomatic "You know, I came across some disturbing information you might like to check yourself..."

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can't tippytoe around the situation because it sounds like the cons outweigh the pros; if he doesn't have necessary training and background, you shouldn't take a chance on him teaching a class in the facility.

And don't worry about him getting into trouble with Unnamed College; that's germane to the discussion. If you turn him down for the teaching position and then tell him about the school's rep, it'll just sound like your grinding your heel in his nose to make him feel even worse.

Last edited:

Matera the Mad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I don't want to discourage him from using the facility. I will bounce it off some local heads tomorrow. Part of my personal prob with this is that I am a trained artist and a lot of the regulars don't know it -- that can rub fur the wrong way, I don't want to come off sounding 2 l33t.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I don't want to discourage him from using the facility. I will bounce it off some local heads tomorrow. Part of my personal prob with this is that I am a trained artist and a lot of the regulars don't know it -- that can rub fur the wrong way, I don't want to come off sounding 2 l33t.
Perhaps you should stop hiding your talent my dear so people won't hesitate to listen to you. And you aren't coming off as l33t.

I understand where you are coming from. You can let him carry on with what he's doing or you can quietly take him aside and show him what you've seen.

Either way is okay.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I think you just have to let him know straight up.
Bard is right.

It hurts to hear it, but he will thank you - I found this place researching Eloquent Books when they offered me a contract, and look how good that was for me! I saved myself from potential disaster and found a great resource and wonderful fellow writers to commune with.

The truth hurts, but doesn't make it any less necessary.
Good luck.

kikilynn

You can find me on occasion.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreader.wordpress.com
Maybe you start by telling him something positive. Say "You've got natural talent, anyone can see that....but...." It always makes bad news easier if you start and end with a positive statement.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... opening line...

"You know, So-and-So, I'd like to see you get someplace worthy of your talent. I'm not sure the College of Such-and-Such would be your best choice because..."

Any kind of artistry is fodder for the scam artists, because don't we all wish we could make a living doing what we love?

ETA: Hi, Cassie!

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
You could try the ol' bad news/good news routine.

For instance:

"Hello, poor deluded person. I'm afraid I have some bad news and some good news."

"Really? What?"

"Well, we can't let you teach a course here because we have certain criteria that must be met - like the person teaching has to know what the hell they're talking about and have had some accredited education in the field."

"Aw, man. What's the good news?"

"Well, I just saved a boatload of money by switching to Geico!"

Last edited:

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe some sort of opening line like, "I took an interest in you and looked up so and so and I'm afraid for you to do this because..."

Appeal to his ego which will make him feel better while telling him something he'd rather not hear.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a rant derail. I don't know what the heck l33t is, but I presume it means something like elite. If so, the texting abbreviation saved one whole letter of space, although possibly not even that with proportional spacing. Can we please keep texting abbreviations out of a writing site's posts? They are infecting other aspects of our lives enough, but can we at least have writers stick to words? I already have to tell university students to not use them on exam questions. What's next? The advertising arena most likely. ROFLMAO gluteal cellulite remover...

Please add to Neuro's neurosis list (which includes emoticons and LOLkatz) - texting abbreviations.

Rich, who is not cool enough to understand texting abbreviations beyond LOL and a few of its derivatives

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a rant derail. I don't know what the heck l33t is, but I presume it means something like elite. If so, the texting abbreviation saved one whole letter of space, although possibly not even that with proportional spacing. Can we please keep texting abbreviations out of a writing site's posts? They are infecting other aspects of our lives enough, but can we at least have writers stick to words?

QFT -- and thank you!

As for the OP's situation, the refusal probably has to be official, but I'd keep the info about his scam college personal, or try to explain it in more detail if it's part of the official refusal.

I'm suddenly wondering how many more young writers would be sucked into scam joints if they promised a degree in commercial writing at the end.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would print out several of the pages you found about the problems with that particular school. When you tell him that he will not be able to assume the class, I would give him the info and suggest that perhaps that school is not the best one to develop his talent and suggest he find a local school where he could better develop his skill.

If it is one thing AW's Bewares and Backgrounds have proved is that most people really appreciate someone providing them with the information needed to prevent them from being conned.

And Neuro-I'm with you. I have no idea what text speak is supposed to mean or say.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, Matera, that you should be commended for being so caring about this person and his plans. Too few of us choose to get involved when our experience and our insights could possibly save others heartache, not to mention money. Being a good citizen and colleague is seldom rewarded, but it is here. Thank you for caring.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I will second that Fizzy. I think it is the mark of a remarkable person to care so much not only to help maintain industry standards but to alert a person as to a potential career burner like getting a degree from a not so credible source.

*raises a glass* to you Matera and all others like you. May you blessed for your generosity of heart and spirit.

*please note that this message was brought to you without the use of acronyms or emoticons for the sake of our dear Fizzy's sanity.*

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
BardSkye --that is part of my proposed strategy, but I need to work on my opening line. LOL - I need a hook.

"We have a problem."

Making it your problem too will make you seem less culpable for bearing bad news.

Matera the Mad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
:Hug2: all (oops, sorry, Fizz! I'll keep it catz-free, anyway)

I talked to a couple of people at work, and we are all plotting our strategies. Next art session is Tuesday. I'm not on that day but I will drop in and try to generate some conversation.

I know that he has to be in some kind of school -- don't ask -- and how his tuition is paid -- don't ask -- and it motivates me even more to get him on a healthier road to the future.

Artists and writers have the same problems with getting started. Some manage just fine, some are slow to take, some are in too much of a hurry to get to the top without all the walking. All deal with self-doubt in a variety of ways.