Acute Myeloid Leukemia - question re: survival & recovery

Meredith

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a story with a main character who was diagnosed with AML within the past year. Male, low thirties, good general physical shape. He was in the low-risk-for-relapse category, so stem cell transplant was not indicated and not recommended. When the story begins, he's just finished chemotherapy and is in complete remission.

That's where things get a little complicated for me, because while I've done tons of research on the disease and its complications, there's a lot of variability in the available info for what happens next. I've tried looking for info from both the patient side and the MD side, but I'm still a little iffy on what his physical status would be when starting maintenance therapy -- how he would feel, how soon he could function on his own, what some of his limitations and restrictions might be.

I'm continuing my research, but if anyone has any info/experience with this, I'd love to chat.

AngelRoseDarke

Kind-hearted stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelrosedarke.110mb.com
Cancer treatment is different for everyone. As a nurse, I've seen people who take months to regain function and others who are up walking around after each round of therapy.

From my own observations I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the recovery has to do with the person's attitude and outlook. A positive, strong willed patient usually has little trouble getting back to a normal life. A good support network is also helpful in recovery.

I hope this helped you. The research in this area does vary greatly due to the fact that it is an individual thing. If you need more assistance, feel free to ask.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but i think this is the same condition that one of the MCs in Jodi Picoult's 'My Sister's Keeper' has, Picoult inculdes a lot of information on how the 'patient' is managing, might be helpful (maybe not though!).

dnic

Resident Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
four-lettered-words.blogspot.com
The reaction that each person has to chemotherapy varies greatly. During maintenance, because the chemotherapy dosage is less intensive, he should be able to get a bit more physical again. It really depends on how active he was prior to the chemotherapy and how he was during the actual treatment.

I had ALL (acute lymphoid leukemia). Almost the same thing, just that the cells that the cancer cells evolved from is different (lymphoid as opposed to myeloid). I'm currently in my maintenance stage (which is longer for ALL than for AML, but...) and my energy level goes up and down, but I'm definitely nowhere near where I was prior diagnosis. I won't be running any marathons anytime soon.

I can live pretty independently right now, but I have to be careful of what I eat, since I'm still pretty susceptible to all sorts of interesting infections. Because I still can get pretty weak at times (the counts bounces all over the place, and mine has a tendency to drop whenever I get another dose of chemo), I don't go for long walks in isolated places in case if I faint and need help.

Wow. =] Kind of a long post. Anyway, feel free to contact me if you want to do some info digging. I also started up a blog, which is sort of a collection of spastic ramblings at the moment, but there are some information in there, might help you get an insight.

But honestly? The experience is dramatically different for everyone. I've spoken to people that basically went back to running and partying during their maintenance stage (which I can't fathom doing right now). Barring any huge jump in logic and reality, you can probably get away with it.

Meredith

Registered
Reaction score
Cancer treatment is different for everyone. As a nurse, I've seen people who take months to regain function and others who are up walking around after each round of therapy.

Thanks! This helps a lot. I've got a friend who's undergoing chemo right now and her doctors are telling her much the same thing - but for obvious reasons, these are questions I really don't want to ask her or her team. (She's doing great, btw! She just does not need me poking my authorial nose into her personal business.)

Anyway, I appreciate the response, and I may take you up on your offer as I get deeper in. =) Thanks again!

Meredith

Registered
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but i think this is the same condition that one of the MCs in Jodi Picoult's 'My Sister's Keeper' has, Picoult inculdes a lot of information on how the 'patient' is managing, might be helpful (maybe not though!).

Thanks for the lead! I'll definitely follow up on that. =)

Meredith

Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, feel free to contact me if you want to do some info digging. I also started up a blog, which is sort of a collection of spastic ramblings at the moment, but there are some information in there, might help you get an insight.

Hey, thanks so much for sharing some of your experience with me. It helps a lot - makes it far easier for me to picture my MC's capabilities at that stage. I'm heading over to your blog now - and I may take you up on your offer and PM you after I've read through. Everyone's comfort level with talking about health issues is different, so please feel free to shut me right down if I'm intrusive.

--M
:)

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
My husband had Hodgkin's Lymphoma five and a half years ago. He had 9 months of intensive chemo and radiation. After the last batch of treatments, it took him several months before he felt "himself" again.

He had a very positive outlook the entire time, but each chemo session knocked him on his ass. He also had horrible bone pain.

I am not sure what you mean by maintenance therapy, unless this is something specifically related to this type of cancer. Once my husband was in remission, there were no more treatments. He saw the doctor a lot during the first year of remission and they would draw blood and check cell counts, etc.

Now, he goes every 6 months and has a PET scan once a year. So far, so good. The biggest thing that we've noticed is his dyslexia is much worse now. He has no physical problems or limitations and in fact, he has run several half-marathons, completed two triathalons, and ran several 175+ mile relays, all while in remission.

AngelRoseDarke

Kind-hearted stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelrosedarke.110mb.com
Thanks! This helps a lot. I've got a friend who's undergoing chemo right now and her doctors are telling her much the same thing - but for obvious reasons, these are questions I really don't want to ask her or her team. (She's doing great, btw! She just does not need me poking my authorial nose into her personal business.)

Anyway, I appreciate the response, and I may take you up on your offer as I get deeper in. =) Thanks again!

You are very welcome. Contact me anytime.

Best of luck to your friend!