PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek (SPOILERS starting on post 180)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ChunkyC
04-02-2009, 11:21 PM
After watching the trailer, I am officially pumped for this movie.

Star Trek (http://www.startrekmovie.com/)

Could this be the rebirth of the franchise?

EDITED MAY 9/09: a heads-up to anyone coming into this thread, spoilers begin around post #180 or so (page 8)

ChaosTitan
04-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I think Paramount and JJ Abrams are banking on a reboot, since they're already talking about the sequel.

The trailers make me excited for this movie, and I HATED the idea when I first heard about it.

maestrowork
04-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Many of my - ahem - geek - ahem friends were skeptical about the reboot and some even told me they did not want to see this (but of course, they will). I'm really psyched myself.

benbradley
04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
I did see some online clip a few weeks/months ago, and was thinking yeah, a new ST movie, and I haven't seen the last three or four, and hardly remember most of the previous ones.

But apparently there's so much excitement over this, the "reboot" one (I suppose they mean reboot of the whole Star Trek, um, "enterprise") that ...

Paramount Pictures are so confident about the box office potential of the upcoming Star Trek reboot directed by J. J. Abrams that they’re already working on a sequel. Paramount has hired Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof to write a screenplay for the second movie. The writers are aiming to complete a script by Christmas. If they do, we’re looking at a possible 2011 release for the next Star Trek movie with the same cast.
http://sffmedia.com/films/science-fiction-films/326-star-trek-sequel-
already-planned.html

Susan Gable
04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
The trailers make me excited for this movie, and I HATED the idea when I first heard about it.

Me, too. At first, I was like, "You've GOT to be kidding me! How could they do that? This is going to SUCK! I'm not going to see THAT!"

But...I'm already convinced. I can't wait to see the movie. I hope it measures up to the trailers.

<clapping hands in giddy, geeky glee>

LOL.

Susan G.

maestrowork
04-02-2009, 11:37 PM
I was very iffy about Chris Pine as Kirk (but I thought Sylar as Spock is inspired). But judging from the trailer, I think he would be a good James T. Kirk.

jodiodi
04-02-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm a Trek fan from childhood. I can't wait to see the new movie though, I'm a little afraid. What if I hate it? I'm afraid of comparing everything, constantly. Something that's so ingrained into memory can hurt as easily as help a new take on the icon. We'll see. I won't judge 'til I've seen it.

ChunkyC
04-02-2009, 11:48 PM
I know what you mean. I've been really nervous about it, but seeing the trailers has got me thinking this could be one of the best Trek movies ever if it can deliver on what the trailers are showing us.

Toothpaste
04-02-2009, 11:56 PM
I've said this before in another thread, but since this one is specifically about Star Trek I'll say it here too. I work for a man who is probably the biggest fan of the original series out there. He used to be on the Canadian equivalent of the Sci-Fi channel (now SyFy, oy), SPACE, and has interviewed just about every SF/F celeb out there, including Nimoy and Shatner at the same time. He knows every title to every episode every tiny little obscure fact. He just . . . he really knows his stuff.

And he was dreading this film. Every new image that came online he would tear to shreds. There wasn't much I could say in return except to nod occasionally.

Well, he and a select group of media were invited to a screening of 20 minutes of the new film. They showed 4 scenes. And he totally did a 180. He LOVED what he saw. He is pretty much completely convinced that this is going to be an amazing film, and is highly looking forward to it.

I tell this story because I know a lot of the hardcore fans are concerned, and I just want to reassure them that if this guy is looking forward to it . . . chances are it's gonna work. Of course being the pragmatic guy he is, he tends to point out that he's only seen 20 minutes, so he can't say for sure, but if the rest of the film holds up to what he saw, this movie is going to be good.

ChunkyC
04-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Okay, I just watched the trailer for the fifth or sixth time in a row and I think I just wet myself.

Just kidding. Sorta. ;)

Delhomeboy
04-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Anything J.J. Abrams touches is gold. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, but I do like the original series and (most) of the movies, and I'm confident this one will be worth it.

robeiae
04-03-2009, 01:13 AM
The original series will always be THE ORIGINAL SERIES. Nothing after it even touches it, imo.

But that's okay, I think. I'm very excited about the movie, myself. I don't expect it to knock Shatner from his pedestal. Because there is simply no way it could do that. But it can still be a great movie, based on a timeless series.

dclary
04-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Jesus...May is next month.

:|

SUMMER MOVIE SEASON APPROACHES!!!

PANIC IN THE STREETS!!!!

robeiae
04-03-2009, 01:19 AM
*smacks Deek in the back of the head*

Relax.

dclary
04-03-2009, 01:20 AM
That is a pretty freaking bad-ass movie trailer, though. Best trailer of the summer movies, that I've seen so far.

blacbird
04-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Just be sure to sneak in a watch of Galaxy Quest, to keep some perspective.

caw

ChunkyC
04-03-2009, 01:59 AM
"By Grebthar's Hammer, I shall avenge thee!"

Fargin' great movie.

Don Allen
04-03-2009, 02:02 AM
I'm probably one of a handful here that actually remember seeing the original series first run, (my Mom was a Shatner fanatic) and I wasn't real sure about this at first but after seeing the trailers and thinking about the possibilities,(as Spock always said) I think It's going to kick ass and I'm with you guys, I think it's going to kill and YES I think we'll see a lot more of it... I was really impressed with the guy they got to play Spock, fucken spot on,,,, Looking forward to it....

ChunkyC
04-03-2009, 02:09 AM
*waves hand* Another original series first-run junkie here. Had to watch it in black and white because we couldn't afford a colour TV. I was mesmerized regardless.

As for Spock ... I think you're right. He looks great, wonder if we'll have another Spock-frenzy on our hands? ;)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-03-2009, 02:27 AM
:OFG steps proudly into the Geek Line: At the risk of revealing my antiquity... me, too.

maestrowork
04-03-2009, 02:29 AM
As for Spock ... I think you're right. He looks great, wonder if we'll have another Spock-frenzy on our hands? ;)

Not to mention, Leonard Nimoy is in this. Geek out yet?

ChunkyC
04-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Totally. :)

Speaking of geeking out: after watching Trailer 3, I was wondering what role Bruce Greenwood was playing ... he's Christopher Pike. And a perusal of the cast list at IMDB shows someone playing an Orion slave girl. Now, Pike was saying something to Kirk like "I couldn't believe it when the bartender told me who you were". Could it be that Kirk gets in a bar fight at the very place where Pike was hanging out in the original series pilot?

How fargin' cool would that be? :D

robeiae
04-03-2009, 02:54 AM
I'm probably one of a handful here that actually remember seeing the original series first run, (my Mom was a Shatner fanatic) and I wasn't real sure about this at first but after seeing the trailers and thinking about the possibilities,(as Spock always said) I think It's going to kick ass and I'm with you guys, I think it's going to kill and YES I think we'll see a lot more of it... I was really impressed with the guy they got to play Spock, fucken spot on,,,, Looking forward to it....

*waves hand* Another original series first-run junkie here. Had to watch it in black and white because we couldn't afford a colour TV. I was mesmerized regardless.

:OFG steps proudly into the Geek Line: At the risk of revealing my antiquity... me, too.Interesting. I wonder if you will all get to see the new movie...

ChunkyC
04-03-2009, 02:59 AM
Interesting. I wonder if you will all get to see the new movie...
If I have to drag my heart/lung bypass machine with me, I'll be there, dagnabit!

robeiae
04-03-2009, 03:10 AM
Just, you know, be sure to change your DependsTM before the movie starts...

Leah J. Utas
04-03-2009, 03:34 AM
I saw it in first run. Nothing touches it. Nothing.
I have cried at ST movies with the original cast. I can't even think about the Enterprise being told to report for...for... ah hell I can't even write it.

decommissioning

There. Got it out. I feel better now.

This trailer brought tears to my eyes.
I may have to watch the movie a few times to see it all.

maestrowork
04-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Could it be that Kirk gets in a bar fight at the very place where Pike was hanging out in the original series pilot?

I'm sure it was. They wouldn't put Pike back in just for the heck of it.

ChunkyC
04-03-2009, 06:37 PM
It looks like Pike is going to be the mentor figure for young Jim Kirk. Thing is, they could do 'mentor' scenes in any setting.

Mind you, this is all speculation at this point based on the snippet in Trailer 3, but having Kirk get in a scuffle in the bar where Pike was on leave watching the green skinned Orion girl dance (as seen in the original series pilot) and then Pike takes him aside to chew him out ... well, tying this 'origins' movie to the origin of the entire Trek franchise like that would just be an inspired bit of screenwriting, imho.

jodiodi
04-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm one of the ancient ones as well. I recall seeing the series' when it first ran (though I'm a little hazy on it). I was a mere babe at the time. Most of my memories of TOS are of watching it after school when it was on every day at 4pm. Then they moved it to 5 pm and put The Wild Wild West on at 4. There was also a time when Hawaii Five-O reruns were also part of the daily routine.

I recall my cousins and friends and I playing Star Trek, writing ST fanfiction, and even pretending my days were spent on board while at school.

Yes, I'm a Star Trek Nerd.

ChunkyC
04-03-2009, 06:59 PM
I was eleven when the show first aired and at the time I was already a space geek. Even at that age, I knew Trek was something special. Of course, Lost In Space was already on the air and Trek at its worst was light years ahead of LiS at its best, so the contrast in quality was obvious even to a kid.

Our entire family would gather around the TV to watch every NASA launch right from Mercury through to the moon landing in '69 and beyond. When Trek hit the air, it was like affirmation that the human race could accomplish miracles, which it really felt like we were watching when Armstrong stepped onto the lunar surface. So for me, Star Trek will forever be inextricably intertwined with my youthful dreams of humanity exploring the universe and someday living 'out there'.

Unfortunately, that was the high point. Trek got cancelled, interest in the space program waned and nothing has really been the same since.

BarbaraKE
04-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm still officially on the fence about this.

I hated the idea originally (the reprising of the original crew, only younger). I still can't say I'm thrilled with it but I'm willing to give it a chance.

I'd be happier with another series as opposed to another movie. In a series, you have the time to explore thoughts and concepts. Movies tend to go more for the special effects.

That was the problem with the last movie 'Nemesis'. Don't get me wrong, the special effects were spectacular. In fact, everything about it was great except it didn't make sense. I read somewhere that twenty minutes of 'quiet' scenes, (i.e. conversations, etc.) were cut to keep it within the time frame they wanted. Bad move.

That's what I'm afraid will happen here. I'm afraid that the producers will concentrate so hard on the special effects, etc. that the plot will suffer. I hope the producers remember that (much of) the audience has a vested interest in the *characters*. That's what makes Star Trek special. We can see special effects anywhere.

maestrowork
04-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Knowing JJ Abram, I don't think he would let the special effect rule this project...

ChunkyC
04-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Yep, Barbara, you have summarized what went wrong with the franchise.

Trek as it has been up until now was just plain tired. Look at the series Enterprise: Berman and gang just kept rehashing the same old stuff. Hull plating instead of deflector screens. Phase pistols instead of phasers. Oh, this was so different! <sarcasm> This and weak writing led to a poor show.

Granted, because of the era this new movie is set in, they weren't going to avoid the elements of the original series (phasers, transporters, etc.), but I'm cautiously optimistic that, unlike with Enterprise, they didn't let these things cause them to write a story we've seen dozens of times before, and that this 'reboot' as it's being called will do for Star Trek what the same sort of restructuring has done for Battlestar Galactica on TV and James Bond on the big screen.

Lady Cat
04-03-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that the movie will be as good as the trailers make it out to be.

:hi: Big time Trekkie here. I saw the original series when it originally aired and every Star Trek series after that - even Enterprise *shudder, gag*. I also have all the Star Trek movies except for Generations.

I did draw the line at buying the Star Trek books . . . well, except for Yesterday's Child, which was a follow-up to one of the original episodes.

jodiodi
04-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I used to read all the books too. I preferred the ones about the Romulans, myself. Lurv me some Romulans.

Satori1977
04-03-2009, 11:11 PM
The geek in me is very excited about this movie!! I have watched ST since I was a kid. First reruns of the original (my mom got me into it, she is a bigger fan than I am). Then TNG. Deep Space Nine (the best incarnation, IMO...I wish they would make some movies from that series and cast). Voyager was next, and not too bad. And I even tried Enterprise, and was very disappointed. I have seen every movie, and even read quite a few of the books. I really hope this movie lives up to the hype and revives the franchise.

Susan Gable
04-04-2009, 12:44 AM
I did draw the line at buying the Star Trek books . . . well, except for Yesterday's Child, which was a follow-up to one of the original episodes.

I bought a lot of the books, and I LOVED Yesterday's Child. If I ever get to meet A.C. Crispin (who hangs out around here sometimes - not in this thread, but at AW. <G>) I will unabashedly gush about that book, and would love to get my copy signed. <G>

I bought a lot of the books up to a point...like when I left home. LOL. Didn't have as much time for reading after that, and didn't have as much discretionary spending money.

But I still have a bunch of the books right here in my office, on my shelves. Along with my Spock, Kirk, McCoy and Scotty "dolls" - my mother threw the bridge playset in the garbage, but I fished my guys out before the garbage men came. <sigh> She just didn't GET it. <G>

Kirk's leg is broken.:cry:

Susan G. - whose mother DID bribe her with a set of communicators for learning her multiplication tables. <G> (I still have those around here someplace, too. They were walkie talkies. <G>)

ChunkyC
04-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Along with my Spock, Kirk, McCoy and Scotty "dolls"
Geek admission: I have a life-size Mr. Spock in my office. It's one of those cardboard cutout thingys they often have in theatres. I got this one when a local video shop was selling off some old junk, I think I paid $5 for it. The guy probably would have soaked me for a lot more if I hadn't done a pretty good job of hiding my excitement until I got outside. I'll take a pic this weekend and post it here. :D

Yeah I'm a dork, just ask writerterri. ;)

my mother threw the bridge playset in the garbage
:e2thud:

Susan Gable
04-04-2009, 01:30 AM
:e2thud:

I know. I know. <sigh>

Like I said, I had to sneak to save the guys. A rescue mission!

Susan G.

ChunkyC
04-04-2009, 04:45 AM
I know. I know. <sigh>

Like I said, I had to sneak to save the guys. A rescue mission!

Susan G.
Now we know where they got the idea for the Kirk and McCoy rescue from Rura Penthe in ST6. :D

ChunkyC
04-17-2009, 09:28 PM
*bump*

Cool new stuff on the official site (http://www.startrekmovie.com). :Thumbs:

Susan Gable
04-17-2009, 10:04 PM
3 weeks!!!!!

3 more weeks.

Susan G.

ChunkyC
04-18-2009, 12:36 AM
(psst - check the ticker in my sig)

shawkins
04-18-2009, 12:43 AM
The Paramount dudes apparently think it's got potential. It was originally slated for (IIRC) a December 2008 release, but got moved to summer tentpole. That's got to be a good sign.

Speaking of the original pilot, did the whole thing ever turn up anywhere or was it only ever shown folded into that one where Pike was in the wheelchair? I don't think I've seen it.

ChunkyC
04-18-2009, 12:50 AM
The first pilot that was used to create the two-part "Menagerie" episode exists in its original form on the original series DVD set I have. A damn fine science fiction story all on its own, and really cool to see what Roddenberry showed the network when he first began trying to sell the series.

It was never aired on TV as far as I know, but it was shown to a sci fi convention at some point before the series went on the air. To the best of my limited knowledge, it sat in a vault from then until they used bits of it for The Menagerie, then went back in the vault and never saw the light of day again until they started putting the DVDs together.

That's what I believe is the case, but I could be completely wrong. :)

shawkins
04-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Ah kewl. Um, hypothetically, how fast is your internet connection?

CDaniel
04-18-2009, 01:49 AM
When I was young, I can remember watching the reruns of ST in the late afteroons. We got it over the satilite dish...you know them really big ones, the onse that first came out...anyway, because my parents remebered watching it when it first came on TV, my brother and I were exposed to it...usually right after we'd help dad change water in the fields.

I was never a fan of the NG. I saw the movies with the original cast and loved them. This one I think looks really good. Finally a trek movie with some umph. I haven't been this excited about a trek movie since ST VI.

ChunkyC
04-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Ah kewl. Um, hypothetically, how fast is your internet connection?
Warp nine. :D

maestrowork
04-18-2009, 06:12 AM
In a way, I want to read as little as possible. I've already read too much and seen too many trailers. I should stop. I want to be surprised.

ChunkyC
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
*bump*

Just to torture Ray: more new stuff at the official site. 'Dossiers' for all the main characters (except the villain) are up now, plus more vids of the TV commercials, and more photos. Click Kirk in my sig.

Only 11 days to go!

robeiae
04-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Geek.

When do the tickets go on pre-sale?!?!

maestrowork
04-27-2009, 07:15 PM
To everyone who think the new ST will never measure up to the original series, here's a reminder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBnflnDArlk

ChunkyC
04-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I'm betting the fight scenes will be better in the new movie. :)

Funny thing is, that episode (Arena) is based on a short story of the same name by Fredric Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredric_Brown) that exemplifies all that is good in science fiction writing. The production values of the original series may be primitive by our standards today, but the themes explored in episodes like Arena are excellent. I'm sure I speak for most fans when I say that it is the storytelling/thematic aspect of the original series we hope the new movie lives up to.

benbradley
04-27-2009, 07:50 PM
To everyone who think the new ST will never measure up to the original series, here's a reminder:

Geez, that episode didn't look that hoaky when it was first broadcast! Well, okay, so I was ten years old...

I remember the episode if not the title (see, I'm not a TOTAL TOS geek), some being has put Kirk and that creature on that planet to fight it out to the death, but Kirk is assured the tools are available for him to win. Sure enough, he finds the makings of gunpowder conveniently available on the planet's surface.

Roll credits. :)

ChunkyC
04-27-2009, 07:59 PM
What's great about Arena is the ethical dilemma forced on Kirk. These super-beings are getting tired of other races brawling around the neighbourhood trashing things. So, they do the classic "put Hitler and Churchill in a boxing ring and let them fight it out to see who would win World War II, then millions wouldn't have died" thing, but with a twist: whichever one loses -- Kirk or the Gorn -- their entire race will be wiped from existence no matter where they might be in the universe.

In the original short story, the ending is somewhat different than the Trek adaptation, and much more unsettling. Roddenberry and crew 'niced up' the ending somewhat for the show, but kept the dilemma itself intact. IMO, it's a great story, despite the goofy lizard suit. :)

dgiharris
04-27-2009, 08:09 PM

You know, a lot of people will give older movies 'crap' (not saying you are) because they are not as up to speed as current movies.

I contend that in most cases, movies are symptomatic of the audience. That is, the movie is made for the audience at the time.

If we traveled back to 1963 and showed them the Matrix, they just wouldn't get it.

Or if we showed them RoadHouse or Dirty Dancing, I don't think they would like it.

I feel there is a back and forth 'evolution' between movies and the audience as time progresses. Sure, every so often, a movie takes a giant leap forward (i.e. Star Wars) but for the most part, we (movies and audiences) evolve together IMO

Mel...

robeiae
04-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Uhhh, Mel? Did anyone EVER like Roadhouse?

robeiae
04-27-2009, 08:23 PM
What's great about Arena is the ethical dilemma forced on Kirk. These super-beings are getting tired of other races brawling around the neighbourhood trashing things. So, they do the classic "put Hitler and Churchill in a boxing ring and let them fight it out to see who would win World War II, then millions wouldn't have died" thing, but with a twist: whichever one loses -- Kirk or the Gorn -- their entire race will be wiped from existence no matter where they might be in the universe.

In the original short story, the ending is somewhat different than the Trek adaptation, and much more unsettling. Roddenberry and crew 'niced up' the ending somewhat for the show, but kept the dilemma itself intact. IMO, it's a great story, despite the goofy lizard suit. :)
That is what's great about Star Trek, imo. A Private Little War remains as my fav, in this regard.

ChunkyC
04-27-2009, 08:29 PM
That is what's great about Star Trek, imo. A Private Little War remains as my fav, in this regard.
Damn fine episode. :Thumbs:

One of my faves is Let That Be Your Last Battlefield (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TOS/episode/68800.html) with its oh-so-subtle dig at racism at a time when America was in the throes of brittle race tensions. Roddenberry had one big set of kahones submitting that episode to the studio at such a time.

dclary
04-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Uhhh, Mel? Did anyone EVER like Roadhouse?

Dude, back off.

Best Patrick Swayze movie EVAH.

EVAH!!!!!

All my life, I've been waiting for a chance to disenlarnyx someone, just so I can say "learned that in Roadhouse, mother fucker!" as the victim clutches his throatless throat and dies gorily someday.

robeiae
04-27-2009, 08:38 PM
To say nothing of THE KISS in Plato's Stepchildren (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Plato%27s_Stepchildren_(episode))...

robeiae
04-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Best Patrick Swayze movie EVAH.

Yeah, I agree...

dgiharris
04-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I agree...

Smart ass :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-27-2009, 09:38 PM
How can you say that? With absolutely classic lines like 'Nobody puts Baby in a corner...': Dirty Dancing!

Oh.

Sorry.

The topic was Trek, Alex, for $200.

robeiae
04-27-2009, 11:29 PM
As an actor, Patrick Swayze has the emotinal range of Mr. Spock on ProzacTM.

ChunkyC
04-28-2009, 12:19 AM
As an actor, Patrick Swayze has the emotinal range of Mr. Spock on ProzacTM.
(Chunky hangs a lazy curve ball over the plate and waits for robeiae to take it out of the park)

Are you saying he's a little one-dimensional?

robeiae
04-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Is "dopey-faced" a dimension?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-28-2009, 12:28 AM
He covers the range of emotions from A to B.

ChunkyC
04-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Is "dopey-faced" a dimension?
You be the judge. (http://www.bestweekever.tv/2008/03/04/the-top-20-stupid-faces-made-by-patrick-swayze-in-ghost/)

robeiae
04-28-2009, 12:39 AM
You be the judge. (http://www.bestweekever.tv/2008/03/04/the-top-20-stupid-faces-made-by-patrick-swayze-in-ghost/)
:ROFL:

jmascia
04-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Seriously, the movie is going to be great. The only reason I say this is because the fans have seen this movie and have enjoyed it. If the Fanboys enjoy it, then it must be good.

Cyia
04-30-2009, 05:06 AM
Saw the preview on Lost... why is Kirk on Hoth and who did those lousy greenscreen running sequences?! Tell me that's not the final film.

dgiharris
04-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Why is Kirk--

Stop right there!!! Never, for as long as you live start any statement regarding Star Trek with the following three words, "Why is Kirk..."

Kirk is the man. The man can do anything he damn well pleases because, well, he is the man.

That is all...

Have a nice day.

Mel...

Cyia
04-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Kirk is a jerk and the effects didn't work:D

Zoombie
04-30-2009, 11:44 AM
http://db.rambleschmack.net/images/posts/how-to-put-it/kirk-inspirational-awesome.jpg

ChunkyC
04-30-2009, 06:29 PM
http://db.rambleschmack.net/images/posts/how-to-put-it/kirk-inspirational-awesome.jpg

Hey! Quit stealing my desktop wallpaper! :D

http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_continuity.jpg

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Stop right there!!! Never, for as long as you live start any statement regarding Star Trek with the following three words, "Why is Kirk..."

Kirk is the man. The man can do anything he damn well pleases because, well, he is the man.

That is all...

Have a nice day.

Mel...

Word.

ChunkyC
04-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Saw the preview on Lost... why is Kirk on Hoth and who did those lousy greenscreen running sequences?! Tell me that's not the final film.
:eek:

First, Hoth isn't the only place in the universe that has snow. Lucas didn't patent cold weather. By that logic, no science fiction movie should be allowed to have rain in it because they used rain in Blade Runner.

Second, I just watched all the TV spots on the Trek site and have no idea what you mean about the effects. I think they look great. :)

-- Chunky, card-carrying Trekkie/Trekker/whateveryouwanttocallit, and a Canadian who lives in the mountains and knows all about snow. :D

BenPanced
04-30-2009, 06:58 PM
There's another Star Trek movie coming out? WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY TELL ME ABOUT THIS?!

dclary
04-30-2009, 10:04 PM

That is all...

Have a nice day.

Mel...
QFT.

That's the quintessential thing to remember about Kirk.

James T. Kirk didn't go into the Kobayashi Maru hoping he'd beat it, wondering
if he could beat it. He is the epitome of swagger. He knows he'll do it, because hell. He's James Tiberifuckingus Kirk, and that's all he needs to know.

Chris Pine got this, and that's why he fits so well in the Kirk role.

Cyia
04-30-2009, 10:10 PM
:eek:

First, Hoth isn't the only place in the universe that has snow. Lucas didn't patent cold weather. By that logic, no science fiction movie should be allowed to have rain in it because they used rain in Blade Runner.

Second, I just watched all the TV spots on the Trek site and have no idea what you mean about the effects. I think they look great. :)

-- Chunky, card-carrying Trekkie/Trekker/whateveryouwanttocallit, and a Canadian who lives in the mountains and knows all about snow. :D

The furry snow beast chasing Kirk is what I'm talking about (along with his gear), it just looked weird.

And I don't know about the other spots, but in this one, the insertion of Kirk over the CGI was obvious. :Shrug:

dgiharris
04-30-2009, 10:44 PM
And I don't know about the other spots, but in this one, the insertion of Kirk over the CGI was obvious. :Shrug:

For some reason, CGI or special effects that don't look 100% real, really don't bother me at all.

I just assimulate it into my movie experience and story enjoyment. But perhaps some of us our spoiled and need CGI to be soo good that they can't tell it is CGI.

But in a sense, I think your perception may be impacting your percieved quality of CGI.

For instance, they now use CGI in a bunch of 'conventional' films. HOwever, since people aren't expecting it, they are more likely to miss it.

BUt you 'know' there is no such thing as this particular space monster so you are much more likely to percieve it as 'fake'.

Just a thought.

Mel...

Zoombie
04-30-2009, 10:53 PM
CGI will always have the problem that...well, we know its a movie.

We *know* its not real.

But once we can genetically engineer special effects for movies, then we'll have that 100% real thing!

And Ozymandias will try and take over the world...

ChunkyC
04-30-2009, 11:01 PM
And Ozymandias will try and take over the world...
Not as long as Jim Kirk is around! Prime Directive? What Prime Directive? :D

(what ... ozymandias isn't an alien?)

Cyia
04-30-2009, 11:32 PM
BUt you 'know' there is no such thing as this particular space monster so you are much more likely to percieve it as 'fake'.

Just a thought.

Mel...

Think again :D He looked like a drop in (or like it wasn't the final film)

Prime Directive? What Prime Directive? :D

(what ... ozymandias isn't an alien?)
This I can agree with. Stupid PD. I just hope. The new guy does. Not talk like. He's counting each speech. And chopping his. Syllables. To match.

maestrowork
05-01-2009, 08:25 PM
I have two VIP tickets to see a screening tomorrow morning.

Wheeeeeee!

Will report later.

Toothpaste
05-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Also been invited to a screening tomorrow morning . . . would say see you there Maestro . . . except, well, we live on opposite sides of a continent.

Susan Gable
05-01-2009, 10:18 PM
I have two VIP tickets to see a screening tomorrow morning.

Wheeeeeee!

Will report later.

OMG. I'm SO jealous. <sigh>

I'll give you my action figure...not Kirk...not Spock..hhmmmm...okay, I'll give you Scotty if you TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!

LOL.

Can't wait for your report, Ray. (Unless it's a bad report. Then...we don't want to hear it. <G>)

Susan G.

Susan Gable
05-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Also been invited to a screening tomorrow morning . . . would say see you there Maestro . . . except, well, we live on opposite sides of a continent.

Ummmmm....you are in Toronto? Ray is in Pittsburgh. Except when he's in LA. <G>

Susan G.

Susan Gable
05-01-2009, 10:20 PM

Hey....I can be in Toronto in 3 hours. Except...dammit...I never got my passport renewed. <sigh>

Nevermind. I was going to offer you the same deal I offered Ray. <G>

Susan G.

robeiae
05-01-2009, 10:24 PM
I'll give you Scotty if you TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!
You'll give Ray a "Scotty"? Is that a euphemism for something?

Susan Gable
05-01-2009, 10:25 PM
You'll give Ray a "Scotty"? Is that a euphemism for something?

<snicker>

I don't Scotty and tell. <G>

Susan G.

Sheryl Nantus
05-01-2009, 10:54 PM
<snicker>

I don't Scotty and tell. <G>

Susan G.

bet it comes with a Powerpoint presentation...

:D

ChunkyC
05-01-2009, 11:13 PM
I bet it comes in a bottle, and it's green.

http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_alcohol.jpg

robeiae
05-01-2009, 11:33 PM
For some reason, I assumed it involved a scarf...

maestrowork
05-01-2009, 11:43 PM
C'mon, hasn't any girl named Susan given you a Scotty before, Rob? You're so deprived.

maestrowork
05-01-2009, 11:45 PM
OMG. I'm SO jealous. <sigh>

The funny thing is (funny for me, not funny for you) I have another VIP ticket to see the IMAX on Wednesday, then I got the tix for tomorrow and I said, damn, I sure can see it twice, can't I?

ChunkyC
05-01-2009, 11:55 PM
bastid

;)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-02-2009, 12:01 AM
He's not a 'bastid', CC. He's a fargin' bastige! :tongue

maestrowork
05-02-2009, 12:02 AM
But... but... what if it sucks? Then it'll suck sooner for me than for you...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Could happen... COULD. But I doubt it.

Toothpaste
05-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Seen it.

And I am hugely disappointed.

Because I have to wait a whole week before I can see it again!!!

It is so stupendously, wonderfully, fantabulously awesome! Funny, with pathos, the action is awesome, the effects wonderful, acting spot on, the references are brilliant and yet nothing too inside that first time viewers won't adore it as well . . . talk about reinvigorating the canon, this film is going to be THE movie of the summer!

maestrowork
05-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Saw it. Loved it. Great one. And surprised. A tad mainstream but it's not a bad thing... especially if it helps pull in the non-Trekkies. Seriously, if you have never seen a Star Trek show or movie before, you won't feel lost. And if you're Trekkie, you won't be disappointed. Everyone was talking about it in the hallway after the screening, and everyone gave it a thumbs up. Fans are the hardest to please, so the approval is well earned.

Frustrated that now I have to wait another few days to see it again. :D

The actors did a great job playing the familiar roles but add their own personalities to them -- Simon Pegg is great as Scotty, for example. McCoy was great. Zachary Quinto is awesome as Spock. John Cho's Sulu is sharp. And I'm really surprised that Chris Pine really pulled it off as Kirk. I'm impressed with the cast.

The writing is great. Drama and humor. The premise is cool. All I have to say is ... it's not really a prequel! But it won't spoil the original canon. Seriously. That's all I have to say. :) JJ Abrams and Demon Lindelof really pulled it off. Hats off to them. This is going to restart the franchise much like Batman Begins did with that franchise. And I hope the next one is going to be even better, like TDK was.

I do have one minor gripe, though (nothing is perfect): what's with all the lens flares? JJ, I think you overdid it a bit there. All those lens flares were blinding me and a bit distracting.

Now I have to wait four more days to see those lens flares again...

maestrowork
05-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Edit: the Cast yourself thing on the movie site is pretty fun.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Okay... I'm seriously geeked out here.

Go to the movie website (http://www.startrekmovie.com/)and view the 'Panoramas'. Especially the 'Bridge'.

ZOMG.

ChunkyC
05-03-2009, 05:49 PM
:Jump: :popcorn: :Jump: :popcorn: :Jump: :popcorn: :Jump: :popcorn:

I am tho' exthited! How many days? Oh yeah, check my sig.... ;)

I tried that face thingy at the trek site, but it won't take a face with a beard. Bastids. I also noticed Ray didn't do a Uhura. :D

Yeah, the panoramas are way cool. I wish they had a few more. But there are more photos, and all the dossiers are up.

yeschunkyisatrekgeek

robeiae
05-03-2009, 05:53 PM
*sprays thread with Geek-be-goneTM*

benbradley
05-03-2009, 06:14 PM
*cough* *hack* ... MODS ... *cough* *cough*

maestrowork
05-03-2009, 07:15 PM
*sprays thread with Geek-be-goneTM*

Bet you already got advance tickets.

maestrowork
05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
talk about reinvigorating the canon, this film is going to be THE movie of the summer!

I'm not sure about the movie of the summer since there are still many more to come (Terminator, Harry Potter, Up, etc.) but I do agree this is a great way of reinvigorating (reinventing, actually) the canon without ruining it. And this is in the same league as Batman Begins -- JJ Abrams is Christopher Nolan's counterpart. So I expect them to do more great things in the future much like what they did with TDK.

Toothpaste
05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
What I meant in my statement of "THE movie of the summer" was a financial thing, not "best movie to see" thing. And, aside from Harry Potter, I do think this is going to be the big money maker this summer. Now keep in mind, I'm not saying this is the movie that is going to make MY summer. Don't get me wrong I adored it, will see it several more times in the theatre, but I am most excited about "Up" and "Harry Potter" on a personal level. However I think in terms of boxoffice, this may very well be this summer's Dark Knight (though I don't think we'll see quite those numbers). With Harry Potter coming in second. Terminator could throw a spanner in the works, and I do think it will be a strong contender as well though.

maestrowork
05-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I think this will do tremendously well, probably breaking some records. The marketing and screening schedules are very aggressive, and it seems to appeal to non-Trek fans as well. People who are not interested in Star Trek seem to comment, "This look really good... I may actually see this one."

But I think HP would be really big this year, this being the second to last movie and it leads up to the final one. So I think as far as box office is concerned, it will be neck and neck. And we'll have to see the numbers for Wolverine, too.

Toothpaste
05-04-2009, 12:30 AM
After this weekend Wolverine will probably decline steadily (as each new blockbuster movie premieres each week - in order of appearance: Star Trek, Angels and Demons, Terminator, Night at the Museum II, Up, Land of the Lost, Transformers, Harry Potter). Harry Potter will do wonderfully well, but it actually is the THIRD last film, not second to last, and the novelty is wavering so these days only hard core fans are excited. However, those hard core fans favour in the millions, so yeah.

Star Trek is going to be huge though. Just as you said Maestro, it's not only the fans but everyone else is going to check it out too (also a really lovely demographic, that of people accompanying someone who is a fan, like the waitress I met the other day who was going to go with her dad because he loved the original series).

For anyone interested in a great and spoiler free review, one of my fellow correspondents for the website I work for has written an awesome one here (http://www.hardcorenerdity.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2239098%3ABlogPost%3A48881).

Susan Gable
05-04-2009, 02:30 AM
For anyone interested in a great and spoiler free review, one of my fellow correspondents for the website I work for has written an awesome one here (http://www.hardcorenerdity.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2239098%3ABlogPost%3A48881).

That was a wonderful review.

Sheesh, now I'm even MORE geeked-out about this.

:hooray::hooray::hooray:

Is it Friday yet?

Susan G.

Enzo
05-04-2009, 06:42 AM
I'm not a Trekkie, not even a scifi fan, and I think the new Captain Kirk looks too young to be commanding a starship, but the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are all positive. So I might just go and see it as an 'adventure movie of the year' thing.

ChunkyC
05-04-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm not a Trekkie, not even a scifi fan, and I think the new Captain Kirk looks too young to be commanding a starship, but the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are all positive. So I might just go and see it as an 'adventure movie of the year' thing.
Well, as a Trekkie who has not seen this new film yet, I can speculate with some confidence that Kirk does not officially become a Star Fleet captain at this point, rather, he takes the chair during some extenuating circumstance and shows he has the 'right stuff'.

I'm sure those who have seen it will not comment on the accuracy of my speculations one way or another, knowing we all want to find out when we finally get to the theatre. :)

dclary
05-04-2009, 07:21 PM
I think this will do tremendously well, probably breaking some records. The marketing and screening schedules are very aggressive, and it seems to appeal to non-Trek fans as well. People who are not interested in Star Trek seem to comment, "This look really good... I may actually see this one."

But I think HP would be really big this year, this being the second to last movie and it leads up to the final one. So I think as far as box office is concerned, it will be neck and neck. And we'll have to see the numbers for Wolverine, too.

Technically, this is not the second to last Harry Potter as Deathly Hallows is being released as two movies, I thought.

ChunkyC
05-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Awesome it is. What a great concluding paragraph, basically saying that Abrams has done to the franchise what young Kirk did to the Kobayashi-Maru scenario in Trek lore as shown in The Wrath of Khan: changed the rules in order to make it possible to win.

Good freakin' lawd, I feel like I did back in the 70s when I found out Star Trek: The Motion Picture was in the works. Bring it on!!!

maestrowork
05-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, as a Trekkie who has not seen this new film yet, I can speculate with some confidence that Kirk does not officially become a Star Fleet captain at this point, rather, he takes the chair during some extenuating circumstance and shows he has the 'right stuff'.

Not going to give anything away but just want to remind everyone: James T. Kirk was still in the academy in this movie.

maestrowork
05-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Technically, this is not the second to last Harry Potter as Deathly Hallows is being released as two movies, I thought.

My mistake. I thought this was the second to last movie.

ChunkyC
05-04-2009, 10:47 PM
It covers the second-to-last book, but the final book is being broken up into two movies, ostensibly because there was just too much in the final book to fit into one movie.

I'm sure earning gimungous piles of cash from two movies instead of one didn't enter into their decision making process, no siree-bob. :rolleyes:

PS -- is it Friday yet? :D

Toothpaste
05-04-2009, 11:31 PM
PS -- is it Friday yet? :D

Sigh. No. I guess I'll just have to contend myself with playing the film over and over in my head . . .you know. . . because I've already seen it and all.

Did I mention that I've seen it?

:)

dclary
05-04-2009, 11:59 PM
7:00 pm, thursday, first IMAX showings in Fresno.

ChunkyC
05-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Sigh. No. I guess I'll just have to contend myself with playing the film over and over in my head . . .you know. . . because I've already seen it and all.

Did I mention that I've seen it?

:)
beeyotch

skank

ho

meanie

;)

maestrowork
05-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I guess it's not time to say I'm going back to the IMAX screening on Wednesday. :-P

So by the time Friday comes around, I'd probably have watched it three times already. Pffffpt!

jodiodi
05-05-2009, 08:39 AM
:guns::guns:OK. Any more people rubbing our collective noses in the fact that 'they've already seen it' will officially be banished to the far reaches of the Mutara Nebula.

I'm so freakin' jealous, my blood has turned Vulcan green.

Zoombie
05-05-2009, 02:57 PM
...I've tried.

Honestly, I have.

I have tried to not be excited about it.

But I saw a clip with Scotty in it, and Simon Pegg is so perfect as him it makes me want to cry.

DAMNIT I'M EXCITED NOW!

K. Taylor
05-05-2009, 03:12 PM
We're seeing it in IMAX. Anybody else plan to?

Zoombie
05-05-2009, 03:22 PM
I'll jibber jabber with my buddy bud, see if any Imaxation can't be worked up, yup yup

ChunkyC
05-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Y'wanna know how stoked I am for this film?

I actually cleaned my monitor screen so that I could see the trailers better.

:Jaw:

Zoombie
05-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Funny!

http://www.cracked.com/article_17316_instruction-manuals-uss-enterprise.html

maestrowork
05-05-2009, 08:05 PM
If the Hughly disappointing Wolverine could open with $85 million (but will most likely dropped by over 60% next week, I bet -- it really isn't that good), I really do think Star Trek will make at least $120 million on opening weekend. Why?

a) the fans have been looking forward to a worthy reboot for a few years now. And it IS a worthy reboot. The advance buzz is tremendous. The special screenings are awesome and the word of mouth will work wonders.

b) it's mainstream enough that you don't have to be a Trekkie to enjoy it -- and don't have to be embarrassed to say you enjoy it either! It's a superb scifi-action adventure.

c) the cast is near perfect. I mean, I didn't even think of Sylar when I saw Quinto as Spock. It's that good!

d) it has appeal to the young crowd, men and women. Fans of Simon Pegg, John Cho (Harold and Kumar, American Pie, etc.), Quinto (Heroes), etc. are going to be really pleased. Plus it has Leonard Nimoy, who should please the true geeks.

e) JJ Abrams

f) the writing is done right, for once. Not just for a Trek movie, but just in general. One of the great thing about Abrams is that he understands good writing -- he's a writer himself. He values writers and good writing, and it shows. And that makes a huge difference.

g) IMAX -- this film is gonna rock on the super big screen.

h) they manage to reinvigorate the franchise, reinvent the wheels without ruining the original canon. They show great respect for the fans and the fans will surely reward this.

ChunkyC
05-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Funny!

http://www.cracked.com/article_17316_instruction-manuals-uss-enterprise.html
"With just a little care, we guarantee that your fine Red Shirt (TM) will last you for the rest of your life."

:roll:

Cyia
05-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Sylar is Spock? Now I must go find clips and see this.

maestrowork
05-05-2009, 08:19 PM
The best line of the movie (WARNING: no spoiler here, but if you don't want to know at all, don't read it so it won't spoil the movie for you):

You're out of your Vulcan mind.

ChunkyC
05-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Sylar is Spock? Now I must go find clips and see this.
Click on Kirk in my sig, it'll take you to the movie site where they have all the trailers and TV spots. :)

Cyia
05-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Sylar makes a good Spock. :D Is Leonard Nimoy Sarek?

Toothpaste
05-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Sylar makes a good Spock. :D Is Leonard Nimoy Sarek?

Leonard Nimoy is also Spock. It isn't spoiling anything to say so, it's been known from the beginning, and don't worry it will make sense once you see it.

Since we are posting parodies, check out this Onion report on the Trekkie reaction to the film: http://www.hardcorenerdity.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2239098%3ABlogPost%3A49137

ChunkyC
05-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Since we are posting parodies, check out this Onion report on the Trekkie reaction to the film: http://www.hardcorenerdity.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2239098%3ABlogPost%3A49137
Hilarious! :)

Claudia Gray
05-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm going to an IMAX showing Saturday night. Can't wait. I'm a Trekkie from way back, and a JJ Abrams fan too, so this should be pure fun.

ChunkyC
05-05-2009, 11:18 PM
The closest we get to IMAX in my town is sitting in the front row of our dinky little theatre. :(

(mind you, we're about an hour away from Calgary and there are two IMAX theatres there)

maestrowork
05-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Poor Chunky....

Ray, who has two IMAX theaters within 15 miles...

ChunkyC
05-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Poor Chunky....

Ray, who has two IMAX theaters within 15 miles...
Chunky, who has two fingers extended in the general direction of Ray's house.... ;)

Susan Gable
05-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Chunky, who has two fingers extended in the general direction of Ray's house.... ;)

Chunky!! It's not polite to point. <G>

My choices appear to be regular or digital. I think the IMAX theatre we have here at the Nature Center isn't like to be showing Trek. I could probably watch a bear movie or something, though. (I'm not 100% it IS an IMAX theatre at the Nature Center, mind you.)

And I did discover that my Cinemark theaters start showing it at like 8:00 pm on Thursday night -- but I'm not sure if I want to brave that insanity.

<G>

Susan G.

maestrowork
05-06-2009, 12:37 AM
C'mon, Susan, be brave and be a true fangirl as you are.

dclary
05-06-2009, 12:46 AM

I'll add a finger in support of this cause.

ChunkyC
05-06-2009, 01:38 AM
And I did discover that my Cinemark theaters start showing it at like 8:00 pm on Thursday night -- but I'm not sure if I want to brave that insanity.

<G>

Susan G.
If you do decide to brave the early show, don't forget your Spock ears. Or if you're really brave, show up with a light-sabre and keep asking everyone in the line-up if Jar-Jar Binks is in this movie. :D

dclary
05-06-2009, 01:46 AM
If you do decide to brave the early show, don't forget your Spock ears. Or if you're really brave, show up with a light-sabre and keep asking everyone in the line-up if Jar-Jar Binks is in this movie. :D

From the old Foxtrot comic:

"You look so cute in your Dumbledore hat."
"It's a Gandalf hat!"

maestrowork
05-06-2009, 02:06 AM

Chunky has a death wish.

ChunkyC
05-06-2009, 02:36 AM
Chunky has a death wish.
No, if I had a death wish, I'd go to the Sex and the City movie and ask who did the special effects.

maestrowork
05-06-2009, 03:07 AM
No, if I had a death wish, I'd go to the Sex and the City movie and ask who did the special effects.

No. Go to the Sex and the City movie and ask for McLovin'. Or go to a Star Wars movie and ask about their warp speed technologies.

Delhomeboy
05-06-2009, 03:34 AM
No. Go to the Sex and the City movie and ask for McLovin'. Or go to a Star Wars movie and ask about their warp speed technologies.

Are you dispossessing a brain or something! Engines are powered by hyperdrive turbines that allow projectile flight at speeds exceeding the speed of light in a semi-dimension called hyperspace which allows its travelers to cross an entire galaxy in a short amount of time! THERE'S NO WARP SPEED @#$#$%#$%@#@%^%^$%&#@$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zoombie
05-06-2009, 03:47 AM
I still like the "go really fast drive" from Firefly best.

Cyia
05-06-2009, 04:35 AM

Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blanick. :D

(no idea how to spell that)

maestrowork
05-06-2009, 05:16 AM
Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blanick. :D

(no idea how to spell that)

Or Sarah Jessica Parker's makeup.

ChunkyC
05-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Or Sarah Jessica Parker's makeup.
Which was the point of my original joke about 'special effects' and why it would get me kilt. :D

Is it Friday yet?

Sheryl Nantus
05-06-2009, 07:52 PM
talk about "Fanboys" like it's a documentary...

underthecity
05-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm seeing it tonight in Imax, one of "special preview" showings, thanks to my wife who got me tickets from work.

I've been pumped for this movie ever since I first saw Star Trek III in the theater in 1983.

And I stopped at Burger King and got my first glass, Uhura.

Five and half hours and counting.

dclary
05-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Tomorrow, 9:50. IMAX Experience. As they say down mexico-way...

El Squeeeee!

Susan Gable
05-06-2009, 10:29 PM
And I stopped at Burger King and got my first glass, Uhura.

SQUEAL! I saw the ads on TV last night that Burger King has STAR TREK GLASSES! I must have those glasses!!!! I think I'm having BK for dinner tonight. <G>

Star Trek, Star Trek, Star Trek.... :)

:D :hooray::snoopy:

Is it Friday yet?

<sigh>

Susan G.

Satori1977
05-06-2009, 10:59 PM
I can't see it until next Wednesday....taking my mom for Mother's Day. So excited though!!

ChunkyC
05-06-2009, 11:32 PM
SQUEAL! I saw the ads on TV last night that Burger King has STAR TREK GLASSES! I must have those glasses!!!! I think I'm having BK for dinner tonight. <G>

Star Trek, Star Trek, Star Trek.... :)

:D :hooray::snoopy:

Is it Friday yet?

<sigh>

Susan G.
ROFL! You do realize Kirk would kick the snot out of that dorky burger king mascot just on principle. :)

And, because no Trek thread on any forum anywhere in the universe is complete without it (my personal fave is #67):

Why James Tiberius Kirk is better than Jean Luc Picard (http://www.asandler.com/jokes/lists/kirksex.shtml)

underthecity
05-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Saw Star Trek tonight!

One word:

Un<ohmygod>believable.

This was the best Star Trek movie I have ever seen. (And remember that I list Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan in my top 10 list of favorite films of all time, next to 2001 and MASH.)

Not only was it an excellent ST movie, but an awesome sci-fi action thriller as well. The basic plot was well-thought out, with a lot of surprises integrated in that really worked. (Although, there were some alterations of canon that might upset some diehards.)

Guess we can't talk spoilers yet, but I will say this. The re-creation of the "look" of TOS was not only better than expected, but perfectly acceptable to this longtime fanboy. IOW, they didn't use the classic look of the interiors--and even exteriors--of the original Enterprise, which I assumed would disgust me. Instead, I loved it. I loved the new look of the Enterprise, the Bridge, the sets, the hardware. It was like . . . like this was the Star Trek I've always wanted to see. The modern sfx made Star Trek so much better.

Overall, IMO, one of the best movies of 2009, the best Trek movie of them all, even better than Wrath of Khan.

(And seeing Harold from Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle playing a young Sulu was kind of strange.)

K. Taylor
05-07-2009, 08:15 AM
You early viewers suck. :D

I'm supposed to wait until my boyfriend and his best friend work out their schedules to see it in IMAX, but I might sneak to a regular showing on Friday while BF is at work. I did that last summer for Dark Knight, and it was cool to compare the two versions.

maestrowork
05-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Guess we can't talk spoilers yet, but I will say this. The re-creation of the "look" of TOS was not only better than expected, but perfectly acceptable to this longtime fanboy. IOW, they didn't use the classic look of the interiors--and even exteriors--of the original Enterprise, which I assumed would disgust me. Instead, I loved it. I loved the new look of the Enterprise, the Bridge, the sets, the hardware. It was like . . . like this was the Star Trek I've always wanted to see. The modern sfx made Star Trek so much better.

And they all work because... oh, I won't spoil it. But seriously, it just works in the context of the story.

ETA: but I really do appreciate they try to respect TOS: the costumes, hair, etc. Real cool.

Cranky
05-07-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm watching this with my mom and my aunt on Sunday. Yes, for Mother's Day. :D

maestrowork
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm watching this with my mom and my aunt on Sunday. Yes, for Mother's Day. :D

Shouldn't you be watching Ghosts of the Girlfriend Past or something? :-P

K. Taylor
05-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Already saw "Ghosts of..." and it was pretty damn funny, btw. My boyfriend loved it, and he considers rom coms torture. It's really not a rom com, in the classic sense...

ChunkyC
05-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I went back to the first post in this thread, where I said this:

Could this be the rebirth of the franchise?
Who knew the answer would be such a resounding yes, even before the official release of the movie? Wow.

One more sleep, one more sleep.... http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/2.gif

maestrowork
05-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Check your listings, CC. Many theaters here start showing it tonight.

nevada
05-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Chunky, Crowfoot Cineplex is showing tonight already. I think it might worth a drive into town, no? 7:00, 7:20, 9:55, and 10:20. I'm going tomorrow night with my sister and nephew. Unfortunately I'm flat broke or I'd so be there tonight. lol

ChunkyC
05-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Check your listings, CC. Many theaters here start showing it tonight.
I know my local theatre isn't showing it tonight, it starts Friday here. And Nev, I have to drive my wife to and from her evening job, so going tonight just isn't going to work, even if it was showing locally let alone in Calgary. Under other circumstances, I'd treat you and buy our tickets online right now and meet you at the theatre. :)

I've been waiting this long, one more day won't kill me. It'll wreak havoc on my manicure, though. :D

ETA: Some fun stuff. Nevada will know this already. In our province of Alberta, there's a small town called Vulcan. Over the years, they've built up a tourist industry (http://www.vulcantourism.com/) around their name, there's even a model of the Enterprise in the town (you can see it in the video on the tourism site). They tried to get the official premiere in the town, but couldn't. Instead, 300 or so of the townsfolk got to attend an early private screening in Calgary last night, and Canadian actor Bruce Greenwood (who plays Captain Pike) was in attendance. Story here (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090506/vulcan_movie_090506/20090506?hub=Entertainment).

(PS -- geek alert -- in the video, you'll see a Spock cutout figure behind the tourism spokesperson. I have an identical Spock in my home office.)

ChunkyC
05-08-2009, 02:47 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

I just found out the local theatre has decided to give Hanna Montana the boot and open Star Trek tonight instead of tomorrow. But I still can't go because it would make me 45 minutes late picking up the missus from work.

FRAKKINCORKSOAKINMOTHERFROCKER! http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/8.gif

*deepbreathsdeepbreaths*

I'll be fine, really.

dclary
05-08-2009, 03:17 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

I just found out the local theatre has decided to give Hanna Montana the boot and open Star Trek tonight instead of tomorrow. But I still can't go because it would make me 45 minutes late picking up the missus from work.

*deepbreathsdeepbreaths*

I'll be fine, really.

"Honey? I'm going to be about an hour late picking you up from work."

"Oh dear, why?"

"I, uh, there's an accident on the freeway, and I hit a deer, and the mechanic is still putting the wheel back on."

"Is that someone speaking Klingon I hear?"

"Um, oh, yes. The mechanic is a nerd."

"I hear phaser fire."

"The deer's really pissed. I gotta go."

nevada
05-08-2009, 03:25 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

*deepbreathsdeepbreaths*

I'll be fine, really.

just tell her now, take a book, i'll be 45 minutes late. if she loves you, she'll understand. and if she doesn't understand, you'll still have seen the movie tonight. ;)

ChunkyC
05-08-2009, 03:45 AM
"I hear phaser fire."

"The deer's really pissed. I gotta go."
:ROFL:

just tell her now, take a book, i'll be 45 minutes late. if she loves you, she'll understand. and if she doesn't understand, you'll still have seen the movie tonight. ;)
But I wanna see the sun come up tomorrow too. :D

Zoombie
05-08-2009, 11:11 AM
It.

Was.

AMAAAAAAAZING!

dclary
05-08-2009, 11:28 AM
So good.

C.M. Daniels
05-08-2009, 11:54 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I'm in love with Star Trek again.

Zoombie
05-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Though, at the mention of alternate universes, I shouted: QUICK! GROW A BEARD!

And everyone laughed.

My favorite thing about this movie was it was serious...but it also had time for some really good humor.

Star Trek has forgotten its sense of humor, imo...the new characters in the new series have all been so straight laced that any attempt at humor just ended up falling flat. But the old crew has always had room for humor and fun and this movie has both.

Also, Sulu's sword kicked fucking ass.

katatonic
05-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Overall i thought it was pretty epic, but way to safe...

Toothpaste
05-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Overall i thought it was pretty epic, but way to safe...

Really?

HUGE SPOILER:

Destroying Vulcan was way too safe?

maestrowork
05-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Without giving specific spoilers (I know some people won't be seeing this until after the weekend -- so guys, be careful about spoilers):

I don't think they're safe at all, considering the canon. First, like Toothpaste said. Second, the romance. Also, two Spocks, and the death of his mother... not to mention the death of Kirk's father, etc.. They're playing with so many new things -- so they have to balance between the fans/canon and the general audiences.

I do think the film is much more mainstream than the other Star Trek movies, but safe? Nah.

dclary
05-08-2009, 07:19 PM
I liked the nods to the TOS movies.

ST:TMP -- with the Kelvin's destruction at the hands of an all-destructive weapon to open the film

ST:WOK -- "I have been..."

ST:TVH -- "This is the formula you invent"

ST:The One With Spock's Brother -- Kirk's introduction to bulkheads.

nevada
05-08-2009, 07:19 PM
you guys are killing me!!! normally I read the spoilers, I don't care, but I've decided not to for Star Trek and it's killing me. Thank goodness I'm going to the early show so i have 3 hours less in which to be tempted to read the spoilers. I haven't been this excited about a movie since the second and third LOTR movies.

ChunkyC
05-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Must ... not ... look ... at ... spoilers....

http://bestsmileys.com/eyes/1.gif

BarbaraKE
05-08-2009, 07:43 PM
I was prepared not to like this.

I'm a long-time ST fan (I've even read way over a hundred of the ST books). And I was a bit concerned about how they were going to handle this.

But I admit it - I was wrong. It was a wonderful movie.

The audience clapped at the end.

I especially liked how Scotty, Chekov, Uhura, and Sulu all had important roles (albeit smaller than the main characters, but that's understandable).

One question (not a spoiler)...When the credits ran at the end of the movie, an image for 'Spyglass Entertainment' came up. Did the figure holding the spyglass now look like the young James Kirk or was it my imagination (or has it always looked that way)?

ChunkyC
05-08-2009, 08:00 PM
One question (not a spoiler)...When the credits ran at the end of the movie, an image for 'Spyglass Entertainment' came up. Did the figure holding the spyglass now look like the young James Kirk or was it my imagination (or has it always looked that way)?
There is precedent for studios altering their logo/ident to reflect a specific movie, so it's entirely possible Spyglass did it here. I usually bolt at the end of movies so I don't get caught in the throng, but tonight I'll stick around and check this out. :)

ETA: youtube vid of the spyglass opening logo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu5wauqXo_s) -- this appears to be the standard logo -- is what you saw different, Barbara?

maestrowork
05-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Too bad guys, I think we're going to post spoilers. Deek already started it.

So, if you haven't seen the movie yet and if you don't want to read spoilers, stay away.

dclary
05-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Was or was not the Kobayashi Maru scene absolutely AWESOME? Up to and including the indictment of the programmer.

Toothpaste
05-08-2009, 08:23 PM
It was. It truly was.

And now I must sign out to go see it again!!

maestrowork
05-08-2009, 08:25 PM
If you don't mind some spoilers, here is my review (http://reelreviews.blogspot.com/).

DeleyanLee
05-08-2009, 08:25 PM
So, if you haven't seen the movie yet and if you don't want to read spoilers, stay away.

Seems fair (I'm seeing it either tonight after work or tomorrow morning). Should someone add a warning to the title?

maestrowork
05-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Mods? Can someone add (SPOILERS) to the title?

dclary
05-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Ray?

WTF?

You listed Urban with "Pathfinder?"

PATHFINDER?

Give the man some dignity, and put LOTR, or Bourne Ultimatum for God's sake.

Christ, use Riddick Chronicles.

Not Pathfinder.

Sheesh.

dclary
05-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Also: Agree with the consensus opinion that the cinematographer's "overuse of lens flares" fetish was *VERY* distracting.

maestrowork
05-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Ray?

WTF?

You listed Urban with "Pathfinder?"

PATHFINDER?

Give the man some dignity, and put LOTR, or Bourne Ultimatum for God's sake.

Christ, use Riddick Chronicles.

Not Pathfinder.

Sheesh.

LOL. I usually list the latest stuff (movies) the actors did, not the best stuff -- since that's subjective. But yes, of course. I never even saw Pathfinder.

Besides, wasn't he the lead in Pathfinder?

p.s. the lens flares are post-production SFX added at Abrams' discretion. So don't blame the DC!

dclary
05-08-2009, 08:56 PM
LOL. I usually list the latest stuff (movies) the actors did, not the best stuff -- since that's subjective. But yes, of course. I never even saw Pathfinder.

Besides, wasn't he the lead in Pathfinder?

p.s. the lens flares are post-production SFX added at Abrams' discretion. So don't blame the DC!

Yes.... But GODS it was so bad... Such a fantastic concept, ruined entirely.

Are the lens flares PP CGI? I didn't realize. Ok, I let the DP off the hook. But seriously, there were too many. I only remember like... 5 in Serenity -- and the best one, of course, is at the moment of truth, when Mal steps directly into the hard backlight and announces that he's aiming to misbehave.

dclary
05-08-2009, 10:39 PM
I liked the nods to the TOS movies.

ST:TMP -- with the Kelvin's destruction at the hands of an all-destructive weapon to open the film

ST:WOK -- "I have been..."

ST:TVH -- "This is the formula you invent"

ST:The One With Spock's Brother -- Kirk's introduction to bulkheads.

I missed one: ST:TUC -- Sulu arrives in the nick of time, guns a-blazin'.

dclary
05-08-2009, 10:40 PM
One thing I have *always* loved about the star trek franchise.

Since series inception, Star Fleet captains have never had any qualms about taking mega-jillion-dollar warships and using them as moon-sized battering rams. I love that, and I'm glad JJ does too.

Zoombie
05-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Also, they had Pike in a wheelchair.

maestrowork
05-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Geeks.

Zoombie
05-08-2009, 11:01 PM
No, no, no.

We're NERDS.

K. Taylor
05-08-2009, 11:03 PM
WHOA, one of my local theaters is already sold out today on anything before 4pm. And it's only noon! They actually start at 9:30am tomorrow, when there's normally only one showing shortly before 12 for any movie!

dclary
05-08-2009, 11:08 PM
WHOA, one of my local theaters is already sold out today on anything before 4pm. And it's only noon! They actually start at 9:30am tomorrow, when there's normally only one showing shortly before 12 for any movie!

When Batman: The Dark Knight came out last summer, it's teh first time I ever saw them run the IMAX on a 24-hour-a-day schedule.

They sold out the midnight, 3:00 am, and 6:00 am showing, and it ran through the day until midnight the next evening.

K. Taylor
05-08-2009, 11:26 PM
We had 2 IMAX theaters for that, so it wasn't that bad here. We managed to get Saturday tickets easily. I saw TDK in a regular showing that Friday afternoon, and it wasn't even half full. Same theater - Star Trek is selling like hotcakes.

I had to laugh at an industry estimate of only $60 million for ST this weekend. It's probably going to sell a majority of that today.

maestrowork
05-08-2009, 11:37 PM
$60M? Even Wolverine did $85M opening weekend.

Maybe they're just downplaying expectations. I think Star Trek may very well break TDK's record, or at least close to Iron Man or Spider-Man.

K. Taylor
05-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Here's what E!Online reported on it:
The revamped Star Trek (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/movie_reviews/b122441_review_star_trek_slick_witty.html) grossed an estimated $7 million from Thursday night screenings.
But hold on to your pointy ears.
"Just about everybody who's seen it thinks it's going to make $100 million [this weekend]," Exhibitor Relations' Jeff Bock said today. "And just about everybody who [doesn't have much] interest in it thinks it's going to do $60 million."

Yeah, the $60 mil is way lowballing the potential. The building buzz on this movie has been insane.

DeleyanLee
05-08-2009, 11:58 PM
All I can say about the buzz on the new ST movie is that my housemate, who has been bored and loud about her dislike of all things Trek (to the point her late husband and I had to leave the room if we discussed it), just emailed me to see if she can tag along with me when I go see it.

I think this could be a sign of End Times, personally.

Don Allen
05-09-2009, 12:14 AM
I got tickets for tonight, I'm excited. Live long and prosper.....

maestrowork
05-09-2009, 12:36 AM
The word of mouth and repeat viewings are going to send this through the roof. The fact that it's both canon and mainstream makes it a perfect film to shatter many barriers.

Sheryl Nantus
05-09-2009, 01:08 AM
meh.

I'll wait for it to come on Netflix.

BarbaraKE
05-09-2009, 02:29 AM
There is precedent for studios altering their logo/ident to reflect a specific movie, so it's entirely possible Spyglass did it here. I usually bolt at the end of movies so I don't get caught in the throng, but tonight I'll stick around and check this out. :)

ETA: youtube vid of the spyglass opening logo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu5wauqXo_s) -- this appears to be the standard logo -- is what you saw different, Barbara?

Thanks for posting the video - I wasn't positive before but what I saw was definitely different in that the face was illuminated for just a second (and it looked like young Kirk).

In the video you posted, the face is in shadow the whole time - all you could see was a profile.

I'm definitely interested in finding out what you see.

dclary
05-09-2009, 02:33 AM
It looked like they just have a new, more detailed animation for the Spyglass prodco.

History_Chick
05-09-2009, 02:45 AM
I hate Star Trek and even I want to see this movie. I'm a die hard Star Wars girl, but I may go to the darkside and watch it.

The reviews have been great so far.

maestrowork
05-09-2009, 03:56 AM
I hate Star Trek and even I want to see this movie. I'm a die hard Star Wars girl, but I may go to the darkside and watch it.

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/blog/roninonempty/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/no-darth_vader.jpg

Dommo
05-09-2009, 04:42 AM
It was better than I thought, but it felt plagued by logical inconsistencies. Like the plot just felt like it was all over the place.

I'd give it 2.5/4 stars.

Delhomeboy
05-09-2009, 04:48 AM

The reviews have been great so far.

Can you not be fans of both? lol

K. Taylor
05-09-2009, 05:24 AM
I'm fan of both!

Have IMAX tix for tomorrow night. :)

Toothpaste
05-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Saw it again this afternoon, loved it as much as the first time, if not more so because I could relax a bit into it.

Sigh. Can't wait to see it again next week with my dad, the gentleman who introduced it to me in the first place . . .

nevada
05-09-2009, 07:55 AM
This is the most awesomest movie ever. I LOVED it. I loved the nods to the old without adhering to everything slavishly. I loved the characters, how they were right without being caracatures and so much more (they got Bones perfect. His speech patterns, his expressions, "my god, man", everything)

JJ Abrams may not have been a Trek geek but he clearly surrounded himself with people who knew enough Trek cannon to make this movie authentic. I think Bones's divorce details were from a novel.

LOVED IT. yeah i'm gushing. oh well. :D

Don Allen
05-09-2009, 08:16 AM
I know we have a good Star Trek thread going and I don't want to talk about seeing the new movie there until more people have a chance to get out for themselves.

I seen it tonight, it is fantastic, for Trekkie's, for newbies, for casual movie goers, JJ Abbrams has directed a wonderful movie that will find acceptance among even the most die hard original Star Trek fans.

I'm actually too exhausted to write about everything I'd like to tonight, but the story line created here borders on genius, and I say that because Star Trek is so well known and studied as the S.F. Holy Grail that a bullshit storyline would have failed miserably and been looked upon as a way to capitalize on the product while destroying the brand.

I can tell you with certainty that the concept employed with this film was well thought out and literally brought a tear to this old man's eyes at the end as you actually witness the beginning of these great relationships and personalities that have been so enduring through-out the years.

The conscientiousness of James T. Kirk forever defined by the loyalty of his alter-egos Spock and McCoy come together as if by accident all the while being guided by some all-knowing pre-determined destiny.

The acting was above average with kudos to the inner circle bringing the main six characters to life with gusto and uncanny accuracy.

The visuals were up to par with every other sc-fi flick but to Abbrams credit he didn't dwell on effect as was done in the first Trek Movie but concentrated on story line and character, top notch in that regard.

See this one, you will like it, more later.......

katatonic
05-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I agree with Don, Star Trek is definitely worth watching...

Sure, it had it's flaws:
* Music (did anyone else noticed the music sucked in this?)
* Time travel/alternate reality - This can be seen as very cheap, or genius. Take your pick.
* Did any other Star Trek movies dwell on comedy this much?

Overall, I came away with the same feeling I did when I watched Transformers, which was a very impressive and fun film on the surface, but still just your typical hollywood blockbuster.

It's no Dark Knight, but it's not far off.

Toothpaste
05-09-2009, 09:02 AM
I have to so disagree with you on the music thing katatonic, I thought it was brilliant, hinting at the original theme while still being its own entity. The new theme for the film had drama and scope, and yet still felt intimate.

Also um, did you ever watch any of the original series? The original series was ALL about the comedy. I think that's what this film understands best, the original nature of Star Trek. It was about exploration to be sure, addressing important themes through metaphor, but at its heart it was a show about 3 guys who had amazing chemistry (along with the rest of the crew), it was funny, it was lively, there was personality. It wasn't until Next Gen came along that it became way too serious about itself. In fact that was one of the reasons I couldn't get into Next Gen for ages, because I missed the fun.

JJ Abrams remembered the fun.

And say what you will about the time travel, when JJ Abrams himself admits within the film "Time travel? You cheated" - you just gotta love that. It's totally pulling a Kirk. From a kickass review a friend of mine wrote:

"Some might consider this a cheat. I don't. Reviving Trek in a way that could both please old fans and bring in a newer, larger audience that would guarantee its ongoing success is the ultimate no-win scenario. And as any self-respecting Star Trek fan will tell you, the only way to beat the no-win scenario is to change the conditions of the test. And with true, Kirk-like swagger, Abrams does just that with the entire franchise. The result is a film that goes boldly, very, very boldly, where no Trek has gone before."

Besides how else exactly would he have been able to deal with the crazy Trek fans who are so religious when it comes to canon and still create something new?

Lastly, no it isn't the Dark Knight, it's a totally different kind of film. I think there is a lot more going on under the surface than you are giving it credit for. Just because it is a light happy film (as opposed to dark and brooding like a lot of blockbusters these days), does not make it slight. Spock's emotional journey for example, jeez. What that guy goes through in this film. Sometimes you don't need a film to tell you, "See how dark we are, this means we are being serious", in order to get that there can still be emotional resonance (not that I didn't love Dark Knight, but it's like comparing apples and oranges).

Anyway, just my opinion of course. But I thought they nailed it.

maestrowork
05-09-2009, 09:11 AM
I
Sure, it had it's flaws:
* Music (did anyone else noticed the music sucked in this?)
* Time travel/alternate reality - This can be seen as very cheap, or genius. Take your pick.
* Did any other Star Trek movies dwell on comedy this much?

I actually disagree on all points.

The music is really good for the genre and not overly distracting. In fact, mostly I didn't notice it.

Alternate reality is a great way to "restart" everything without ruining the original canon. I think it's genius. And I love it that they didn't try to go back and "fix" the time line. Kirk was fine knowing there was another one of him in the alternate reality that had a great relationship with his father. Meanwhile, I love it that the old Spock got to have his own "reality" so it's not all in vain.

I think it is more than just a cheap trick. It has another layer -- perhaps even philosophical, which is not alien to Star Trek at all.

The humor is great and needed in Star Trek. The humor makes the relationships work, and the relationships are one of the best things in Star Trek. Star Trek has always have a great sense of humor. It's always fun. It's always about hope and the "bright future." It's not without the darkness, but certainly this isn't the same stuff as the Dark Knight.

I think this movie captures everything, including the spirit of Star Trek and then some. With that, they've succeeded.

katatonic
05-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion so it's all good. But, the music really did get to me -- not in the fact that it was bad, but for me to even notice the music means it's either really good (Requiem for a Dream, The Dark Knight) or has some major flaw or unnatural feel (Watchmen).

I've never seen any other Star Trek film so I can't compare the old with the new.
Another problem I had was feeling stakes. I felt that only the beginning sequence was when I was on the edge of my seat, feeling the emotion. After that, I never once doubted how it was going to turn out (but then again, that's hollywood for you).

Time travel in general is a touchy subject, but by no means do I think the film handled it badly.

So like I said, overall I thoroughly enjoyed it...one of the better films this year. I should also state that just because I over-analyze something, doesn't mean I don't like it. Either way, Star Trek is/will be a hit.

Zoombie
05-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I can only quote my pen-pall, who wrote this E-mail to me on viewing the movie:

HOLY F***ING SH*T ON A STICK, IT IS SO G*DDAMN GOOD I COULDN'T DECIDE WHETHER TO ORGASM OR PEE IN MY THEATER SEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I did both.

Zoombie
05-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I know this will never ever happen, but I'd LOVE to see JJ Abrams take those actors to the TV screen.

...if it will happen, please tell me so I can orgasm right now.

Abraham
05-09-2009, 01:32 PM
I wish I'd saved my money. Maybe I'm just not a Star Trek fan but the whole thing was just bordering adequate. It was polished in well made T.G.I. Friday's is. It will fill you up and its tasty enough, but you're not going to remember it or care about it all like a you would a fun roadside take-out shack gem or a fancy five-course meal.

For specific details Kirk was an underdeveloped, underhanded douche I couldn't like, I never felt any suspense or excitement and the plot was pretty convoluted without making me ever really care what happened.

ChunkyC
05-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Saw it last night as planned and ... WOW.

I just had a few paragraphs written and realized I should use them for my column, so I shouldn't post them here.

Anyway ... I thought this was a fantastic movie. All the nods to what has gone before, I can't imagine it being woven into the script with any more skill. All the divergences from the traditional Trek canon were handled with equal skill. Sure, an alternate timeline may seem like an easy way to do it, but it is, to coin a phrase, the only logical choice. I thought it was the perfect way to divorce the new Trek from the old while leaving the old intact.

I am very excited about what the future holds for the franchise. Bravo, J.J. Abrams and crew!

Thanks for posting the video - I wasn't positive before but what I saw was definitely different in that the face was illuminated for just a second (and it looked like young Kirk).

In the video you posted, the face is in shadow the whole time - all you could see was a profile.

I'm definitely interested in finding out what you see.
It did look a little different than the older logo. I couldn't really decide if it was just an update like Deek said, or deliberately made to look a bit like young Kirk.

was an underdeveloped, underhanded douche I couldn't like
This young Kirk is EXACTLY what I expected. One of the primary plot threads was Kirk's conversion from punk-ass delinquent to a man in control and capable of being a leader. Underhanded was Kirk's modus operandi on the original series. He would do whatever it took to accomplish his mission and keep his ship and crew safe. For example, Kirk's cheating in the Kobayashi Maru test is a legendary part of Star Trek lore going back decades.

I'm sorry you didn't like it all that much, this seems like a case where you probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if you were a die-hard Trek fan.

ChunkyC
05-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Did anyone else get a jolt of recognition in the final scene when the newly minted Captain Kirk, dressed in his gold uniform, stepped onto the bridge? He was channelling Shatner for a moment there. Goosebumps. :)

dclary
05-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Did anyone else get a jolt of recognition in the final scene when the newly minted Captain Kirk, dressed in his gold uniform, stepped onto the bridge? He was channelling Shatner for a moment there. Goosebumps. :)

I did. The dialogue and his mannerisms where like... EXACTLY from the opening scene of any of the TOS episodes.

maestrowork
05-09-2009, 07:02 PM
He's so channeling Shatner there. I think Shatner should be proud (and not acting like a bitter old fool that he did).

ChunkyC
05-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I think Shatner should be proud (and not acting like a bitter old fool that he did).
No kidding. It's a homage to him, fer cripes sake.

I was also impressed with the job Quinto did as Spock, and Urban as McCoy. These three are the core triumvirate, and it was amazing seeing how well they evoked the characters as portrayed by William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelly. The mannerisms, the classic lines ... incredible. The rest of the main characters were great too (Uhuru, Sulu, Chekov, Scotty). They all showed such respect for the characters.

ChaosTitan
05-09-2009, 07:36 PM
I admit it--when I first heard the new Trek film was a prequel and Kirk & Co., I was angry. With so much left open from DS9 and Voyager, I wanted them to go forward. Not backward.

I. Loved. It.

The cast was just amazing. Spot-on, for the the most part, especially for Kirk, Spock and McCoy. I went to see it with three other Trek fans who also "got" the nods. The lines that alluded to other episodes or movies, the mannerisms and quirks.

Two of my favorite easter eggs were the first "red shirt" to die, and Scotty's mention of Admiral Archer's favorite beagle.

And the humor! I've not laughed so hard at an action movie in ages. And genuine laughter, too, not toilet humor or forced jokes.

maestrowork
05-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Did anyone catch the Tribble in Scotty's cage?

ChunkyC
05-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Did any other Star Trek movies dwell on comedy this much?
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home was a far funnier movie than this latest one. It could easily have been catagorized as an action comedy. They travel back to Earth in our time (1986 when the movie was released):

[faced with a 20th century computer]
Scotty: Computer. Computer?
[Bones hands him a mouse and he speaks into it]
Scotty: Hello, computer.
Dr. Nichols: Just use the keyboard.
Scotty: Keyboard. How quaint.

Spock: Your use of language has altered since our arrival. It is currently laced with, shall we say, more colorful metaphors, "double dumb-ass on you" and so forth.
Kirk: Oh, you mean the profanity?
Spock: Yes.
Kirk: Well that's simply the way they talk here. Nobody pays any attention to you unless you swear every other word.

[Chekov is being interrogated]
FBI agent interrogating Chekov: Name.
Chekov: My name?
FBI agent interrogating Chekov: [sarcastically] No, my name.
Chekov: I do not know your name.
FBI agent interrogating Chekov: You play games with me mister, and you're through.
Chekov: I am? May I go now?

Did anyone catch the Tribble in Scotty's cage?
No! Ha, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled when I see it again. Yeah, like I was gonna wait for the DVD. :D

DeleyanLee
05-10-2009, 12:21 AM
This was just so fantastic. I love the elegant way they rebooted the series. Just marvelous.

Need to see it again. There was far too much going on that I know I didn't catch it all.

Just fabulous.

Cyia
05-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Wow. Just saw it, and ... wow. I got a little annoyed with McCoy, but other than that it was fantastic. (though I still hate the snow beast chase scene). I LOVED Scotty. And I don't think they could have found a better young Spock.

Laughed through a good bit of it, and I think they did a wonderful job of setting up for a new series (because you know it's not going to be the only one of these films...) where you can't take for granted anything that's an existing part of Star Trek.

Susan Gable
05-10-2009, 01:21 AM
meh.

I'll wait for it to come on Netflix.

Blasphamy!!!

Although...I was sorta wishing for a pause button. <G> Made it through to the end, but sheesh, I gotta stop drinking water during movies. <G>

Finally saw it, and I LOVED IT!!!! Loved, loved, loved it. <G>

When's the next one coming out? <G> Chunky can get a timeline countdown going for us. <G>

Susan G.

Zoombie
05-10-2009, 02:03 AM
I'm going to see it again tonight!

Lisamer
05-10-2009, 05:06 AM
I think that the venue you see it in helps a whole lot. I saw it at the IMAX in downtown Raleigh, and I have to admit, even though I am not a major trekkie fan, it was so much fun being in a highly responsive film audience. It's something I've missed. As a former New Yorker, I'm used to audience that like to laugh and cheer. Spending the past 15 years in Boston and Colorado, I don't see much of that.

When I came to Raleigh, I was kicking, screaming and protesting. My doc told me that living at 9,000 feet was bad for my health. However, great movie theaters can make me happy.

About the film: I was amazed that I could accept Quuinto as a good guy, given that he scare the bejeezus out of me in Heroes!

DeleyanLee
05-10-2009, 05:42 AM
(though I still hate the snow beast chase scene).

Ah, I do believe that's a slightly altered beastie from Abrams' film Cloverfield. My daughter called it "Darwin". She loved the in-joke. I liked the fact that not getting it didn't ruin the movie.

Izunya
05-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Underhanded was Kirk's modus operandi on the original series. He would do whatever it took to accomplish his mission and keep his ship and crew safe. For example, Kirk's cheating in the Kobayashi Maru test is a legendary part of Star Trek lore going back decades.

Agreed. In many ways, Spock is the better officer. Kirk, however, has a spark of genius that more often than not involves lying his head off. He doesn't just bluff on a bad hand, he routinely bluffs without cards. And saves people by doing it.

Oh, and he's also always been kind of a horn-dog.

I've got to go with the consensus here: it was a pretty good movie. The only major plot hole I saw was the fact that Classic Spock didn't tell the Enterprise crew how to do gravity slingshot time travel, which might have allowed them to go back in time and save . . . well, those would be major spoilers. However, I suspect they'd decided the observer effect wouldn't permit that; what is seen to have happened has happened. I'm not sure how that stacks up with accepted Star Trek physics, but it works for me.

I liked the fact that the accents sounded real this time. Chekov, in particular, used some actual Russian in emotional moments, and my Mom, who speaks Russian, thought it was more or less correct.

Izunya

nevada
05-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Chekov, in particular, used some actual Russian in emotional moments, and my Mom, who speaks Russian, thought it was more or less correct.

Probably because the actor is Russian and has an accent although he did ham up the accent for the movie and changed every V he could find into a wery obwious W.

K. Taylor
05-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Hee! LOVED IT!! IMAX rocks, baby! So much fun, and funny!

Yeah, they even mentioned "alternate universe", so I'm cool with the alternate timeline. It just gives me something new to enjoy with the classic characters. (*cough*like fanfic*cough*) I'm glad they didn't use Spock Prime as an omniscient device. Time travel always has consequences. :D

Zoombie
05-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Probably because the actor is Russian and has an accent although he did ham up the accent for the movie and changed every V he could find into a wery obwious W.

Get a Russian actor to play a Russian!?

MADNESS!

I just saw the film again and its still a rocking good time.

I still think my favorite part is the fact that it brings a kind of optimism to the future again. I mean, I've heard some people complain about it not brining current events and pressing political issues into it (like a lot of sci-fi series do now a days with varying levels of hamfistedness).

But, like, what would they have done? Dragged a Romulan onboard and waterboarded him or something?

Now THAT would have shot the series in the foot.

With a rocket launcher.

Some of the fanrage I've seen is just really perplexing to me...

Yeah, it changes things. Its an alternate universe. Its also JUST A MOVIE!

The Highlander and Alien series fans all know what I'm talking about her...selective amnesia its called.

Like it goes Highlander 1, then Highlander 3...

Weird, huh?

Its not like the space/time continum is going to wipe all your DVDs...you can still watch that episode of Voyager where Jaynway and Paris are turned into lizards and have lizard babies.

Nemisis still exists and its still just as bland, and just as lame...

Really, there are so many worse Trek things out there, I don't get why so many fans are more pissed about THIS one than any of the others...

maestrowork
05-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Some fans are such purists you kind of want to smack them a bit. It's the story, stupid! I mean, I bet they want to have people wearing a lizard suit and fighting Kirk in really badly choreographed fight moves again. :)

I did find the whole concept of creating a tiny black hole with "red matter" rather implausible, not to mention going through that into an alternate universe. But hey, this is Star Trek, and Spock Prime was from the 24th century.

However, most fans I've talked to loved this film. I am, some of them are serious Trek fans. So I think by and large they like it. There are always pockets of purists who would have a problem with this alternate reality thing. To me, what's not to love? They get to have a whole new experience without negating anything before. Nothing about Star Trek in the past has to change.

ChunkyC
05-10-2009, 05:28 PM
When's the next one coming out? <G> Chunky can get a timeline countdown going for us. <G>

Susan G.
LOLOL! I was just thinking about a new ticker this morning while lying in bed before getting up!

Agreed. In many ways, Spock is the better officer. Kirk, however, has a spark of genius that more often than not involves lying his head off. He doesn't just bluff on a bad hand, he routinely bluffs without cards. And saves people by doing it.
Yep. And that's one of the key elements of their relationship; how the two of them together can achieve so much more than either could on their own.

The only major plot hole I saw was the fact that Classic Spock didn't tell the Enterprise crew how to do gravity slingshot time travel, which might have allowed them to go back in time and save . . . well, those would be major spoilers. However, I suspect they'd decided the observer effect wouldn't permit that; what is seen to have happened has happened. I'm not sure how that stacks up with accepted Star Trek physics, but it works for me.
I think the concept of going back and affecting history and therefore creating a new timeline is why Spock Prime didn't bother telling them how to slingshot. Like you said, what has happened has happened, you can't alter the current timeline.

I liked the fact that the accents sounded real this time. Chekov, in particular, used some actual Russian in emotional moments, and my Mom, who speaks Russian, thought it was more or less correct
Very cool!

Some of the fanrage I've seen is just really perplexing to me...

*snip*

Its not like the space/time continum is going to wipe all your DVDs...you can still watch that episode of Voyager where Jaynway and Paris are turned into lizards and have lizard babies.

Nemisis still exists and its still just as bland, and just as lame...

Really, there are so many worse Trek things out there, I don't get why so many fans are more pissed about THIS one than any of the others...
While there are always going to be legitimate reasons for liking or disliking a given movie / tv show / book / etc., some people just aren't happy unless they have something to whine about. As with so much in human behaviour, I believe it's an ego thing: "I can see how bad this thing is, and you think it's good, therefore I'm smarter than you."

Just tell 'em: well smartypants, who had a good time at the theatre, you or me? :)

And now I must go and write my column where I shall wax poetic about all things Trek....

maestrowork
05-10-2009, 05:29 PM
By the way, Thursday's take (advance): $7M. Friday's take (release day): $24M. Total "one-day" so far: $31M.