Word Count/Manuscript Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

WKolodzieski

Registered
Reaction score
I've searched around, but couldn't seem to find anything in this particular forum regarding contemporary/literary fiction acceptable length for a novel. I apologize ahead of time if it is posted.

I'm currently writing a contemporary piece (or lit fiction, depending on your view, I suppose) which is set in the world of college, depicting a group of self-absorbed fraternity brothers and their daily lives. It's undergoing first-draft treatment right now, however, after writing a good portion of it and having most of the remaining pieces plotted out, I've come to realize that it's not a long novel. I'm saying about 50,000, all said and done (but maybe even 45,000).

My question is this: In this genre, is it acceptable - or for a better word, possible - (for a first-time author, specifically) to be this short?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Keep writing,
Wally K.

Last edited:

AllieB

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.allieboniface.com
That's going to be a tough one. Most saleable lengths, even for lit fiction, fall above 60,000, I think. Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook (not that it's lit fiction, but...) is 52,000 but had a pretty remarkable hook (according to some) to propel its success. 45,000 is novella length, and for a first-time author, will be very very hard to pitch to an editor or agent.

WKolodzieski

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. That was mostly what I had come to the conclusion after doing search after search. Because it's only nearing the end of the first draft and I tend to write shorter on said draft, I might be able to get it to around 60,000 or so after multiple rewrites. Also, a friend suggested that when I did indeed get my ducks in a row to try marketing it as a YA, which would also be a tough sale given the slightly older age of my characters, however a 50 k word count would be more appropriate. Anything is possible, right? Sure.

Thank you again for your response, it's appreciated.

wrinkles

Banned
Reaction score
I agree that it seems short, especially for an unpublished writer (I'm assuming). It seems like established writers set their own rules, but for a first-timer I'm guessing that more words would be better. And if you're writing about self-absorbed frat brothers, I don't see why you would have a problem with length. Just the opposite I would have suspected. Maybe you could introduce another main character and another plot line?

And I do believe YAs can be shorter than MCLs. That's what I've heard anyway.

WKolodzieski

Registered
Reaction score
It's not that I can't throw in another plot and/or characters, but moreso because the story will be complete and I am against the notion of filler-material. However, I've been having so many breakthroughs over the past week or so with this project and after it's done w/ multiple rewrites, I think I could easily make it 60,000 or more. I'm at the excited phase of the project - like back when I first started it - so it'd be nice to stay this happy at least until I reread the first draft and wonder what kind of garbage I wrote in the first place. Haha, thank you for your response, though, and good luck w/ your writings.

Reaction score
Just a n00b with ideas!

I am just a n00b and unpublished.
I write in Mil/Esp I think, I have a Special Ops Team.
My first work was 114k and they said it was too long for a first work. I couldn't drop a single word so i wrote #2, that was 84k and right on the 80k suggested limit for a first work.

#1 and #2 are interchangeable, nothing occurs in one that depends on the other. #3, 104k, does work best if you have read #1 or #2, both would suit me best, of course.

#4 is 28k and purpose written for an eBook request. They did ask for 50-60k but I killed everyone by the 20k mark and only just managed to extend it by mortally wounding the hero who, fortunately, does pull thru.

If you don't like your first one, then make it #2 and write a new #1. That is what I did. I have no idea what the rules about such things are, but then again, I am pretending to be writer and they are a funny old lot, aren't they?? <HUGE CHEESEY GRIN>

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
I was advised by an industry professional that 90 - 95K is a good count for a first-timer.

Good luck and happy writing.

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
Update for 2013

(bump and Update) This thread shows in Google search for "recommended manuscript length"; so we might want to keep it current with trends.

I just attended the 11th Annual Southern California Writers' Conference (Los Angeles). Jean Jenkins (MsRewrite.com) participated as a workshop leader and gave us a list of genres with word length guidelines for first-time authors. Keep in mind, if you've already sold 100,000 books, these guidelines do not apply to you.

2013 Manuscript length guidelines per Jean:
Young Adult = 60k-75k
New Adult = 75k-80k
Paranormal = 70k-75k
Mystery/Suspense = 80k
International Thriller = 100k
Historical Fiction = 100k

Some References from my Sept 2013 Google search (dated 2010, 2011):
http://www.fictionfactor.com/articles/wordcount.html
http://theswivet.blogspot.com/2008/03/on-word-counts-and-novel-length.html

If anyone has additional suggestions, please add them here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.