Happy Ending Hoax Recalled

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hah!! You know, I like happy endings, too. And I'm a great believer in happy endings. I figure in every situation there's at least a fifty percent chance that things will turn out O.K.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Hah!! You know, I like happy endings, too. And I'm a great believer in happy endings. I figure in every situation there's at least a fifty percent chance that things will turn out O.K.

So if you put enough situations together and you get 50% bad and 50% not so bad?

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
Misery memoirs?! Never heard that term before, however, I'm not sure Happy memoirs would sell. Same thing with news headlines, readers always go for the gloom and doom first.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Have you noticed that every single dog-themed novel or bio ever written ends with the death of the main-character dog? I stopped reading dog books when I was 12 for that very reason.

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
I read a book like that a while ago! The MC was getting away from the bad guy and his dog went and tried to save his master--the MC. The bad guy catches the dog and tells the MC to come back or he would kill his dog. The MC had just rescued his best friend from the guy and he knows that if he goes back, the bad guy will catch them again. So he keeps running, and the bad guy kills the dog. I cried. I couldn't help it! Sniffle.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read a book like that a while ago! The MC was getting away from the bad guy and his dog went and tried to save his master--the MC. The bad guy catches the dog and tells the MC to come back or he would kill his dog. The MC had just rescued his best friend from the guy and he knows that if he goes back, the bad guy will catch them again. So he keeps running, and the bad guy kills the dog. I cried. I couldn't help it! Sniffle.

You cried upon reading of the death of a fictional dog? Really?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm much more likely to cry while reading fiction than in real life.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Really? Hmmm, it must be me that's weird then. I have never cried from reading that I can recall, but I've balled up a storm watching a movie or tv show.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com

Me too.

Really? Hmmm, it must be me that's weird then. I have never cried from reading that I can recall, but I've balled up a storm watching a movie or tv show.

Only when I'm pregnant does TV do that to me.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I cry at the idea that some jackass even thought of it, and then had the nerve to write it down.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I cry if a dog (or any animal, pretty much) dies in a book, a movie, on TV. If I'm reading a book or watching a movie that has an animal in it (especially a dog or cat), I will put the book down or turn off the movie if it looks like there is any danger to the animal. I have to ask someone else who's read the book or seen the movie, if 'anything happens' to the animal. If it does, I don't want to know what. If it doesn't, then I'll watch/read it.

Call me crazy or a fool, but that's just the way I am.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Have you noticed that every single dog-themed novel or bio ever written ends with the death of the main-character dog? I stopped reading dog books when I was 12 for that very reason.

Not White Fang by Jack London if I remember correctly

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I cry if a dog (or any animal, pretty much) dies in a book, a movie, on TV. If I'm reading a book or watching a movie that has an animal in it (especially a dog or cat), I will put the book down or turn off the movie if it looks like there is any danger to the animal. I have to ask someone else who's read the book or seen the movie, if 'anything happens' to the animal. If it does, I don't want to know what. If it doesn't, then I'll watch/read it.

Call me crazy or a fool, but that's just the way I am.

Well, I'm the same way with kids. Kids shouldn't be in horror movies. They just shouldn't. I can't watch anything bad happening to a child.

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes

Well, yes. It was toward the end of the book, and I sort of got attached to the dog. The animals talk in that book, I sort of couldn't help it.