Copying articles on website

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I know this has been discussed on here before, but I can´t seem to find the threads. Maybe I´m just a complete idiot when it comes to searching...

Anyway, we want to put my articles on our website. We wouldn´t mind just linking to the story the magazine put up, but we´re afraid they´ll take it down in a few months and then it´ll be a dead link. Would it be too terribly awful to save it and upload it on our own site? We would be sure to have all the info about where it was and all that, but we would just save it on our site so we know it won't disappear. Is that a no-no?

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
There is nothing wrong with that - you can take a screenshot of it up and then save it off as a PDF file - providing proper credit is given to the site that published it. I would double check the agreement you have with the place it is published and read their own guidelines. Many places welcome this as it is a way to get back links to their website

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Um. if you mean taking the article and providing it to the public on your website.... that would not be okay unless it is somehow out of copyright material.

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
The magazine has the entire article posted on their site right now - and I know it will be there for at least six months. Right now, we could just link to it. But we are thinking about what about in one year? Or two years? Eventually, they may take it down and then we would have a dead link on our site. We were thinking of just copying the whole thing and saving it on our server - being sure to say where it came from and all that. It would look just like it does now except it would be called up from our site rather than their site. Would that be copyright infringement?

Deleted member 42

Write your editor and ask for permission. Explain that you include their copyright statement and a link back to them.

No permission, then it's not legal.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on your rights agreement with that publication. If they had only FNAR, you're O.K. Probably best (I realize it's a bit late now) to clarify at time of signing contract that you want to do this.

Deleted member 42

That makes sense. I´m relatively certain they won´t have a problem with it, but I´ll write and ask.

You know, I've never been turned down when I asked--it's important to include the copyright of the publication, and a link.

I usually add something like "and credit PublicationNameHere however you'd like, including a link"

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Indeed, as others have provided -- you need permission. Otherwise, what's the difference between you putting it on a web site and ME putting it on my personal website? :)

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Jeffo--

Rights.

As Auto said, if the magazine only bought First North American *print* rights, or first electronic rights, it is Nancy's work and she can do whatever she wants with it. You don't have that same right with Nancy's work since you didn't create it.

However, even if that IS the case, it's polite to let the publication know you're doing it and include a link back to their site. They will appreciate the publicity and it's good to be appreciated by editors. :) Then you don't have to ask permission, just show them you did it so they're aware.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Good point, CatMuse, if they did indeed only buy print rights. And yes, it's just plain polite to let them know, too.

Gozzy

Registered
Reaction score
One thing to bear in mind if you are using a copy of the story as it appeared in the original publication (a scan of a magazine page, for example) is that you might not have the rights to publish any images or design elements that accompany your story.

I doubt the vast majority of publications would care about those kind of rights being infringed or not by a writer making a clipping, but it's best to check first. I've never had anyone say no.