PDA

View Full Version : You people are freaking scaring me

BlueLucario
04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I can understand the big twilight ad on top, but seriously.

Since half this whole forum hates Twilight and "smeyer", I don't understand what the heck is going on.

I'm a border-on Twilight fan. (Hate the movie. And I feel sorry for the chick who played Bella. Pattinson is ugly as hell.)

If ya'll need me, I'll hide in my turtle shell, just let me know when it's all over.

Matera the Mad
04-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Fiffle. You survived last year.

DeleyanLee
04-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Take a look at the date, Blue. It's tradition. Just sit back and enjoy the fun.

CaroGirl
04-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Vampires and bad fan fiction scare me. And I don't even want to think about vampires in bad fan fiction.

Jersey Chick
04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
I specialize in vampires and bad fanfic! :D

Phaeal
04-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I agree, Blue! These people are so mean. I bet Steffy's drenched three hankies on the way to her financial institution of choice.

Vincent
04-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Long live the revolution!

ChrisKelly331
youre ruining the fun sir (or ma'am) by missing the point of all of this. *stop ruining the fun :-p*

happywritermom
No fiction that encourages people to read is bad fiction. I'm not a vampire fan, but I'm certainly not going to knock those who are.
Besides, money makes the forums go 'round!

KikiteNeko
04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Every day the thought of Twilight being real makes ME want to hide in MY turtle shell. But I make it through the days somehow.

Matera the Mad
04-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Just remember -- "bad publicity is still publicity" works as well for legit writers as it does for feckless fickers ;)

CaroGirl
04-01-2009, 06:30 PM
I specialize in vampires and bad fanfic! :D
*runs screaming from thread*

katiemac
04-01-2009, 06:32 PM
EDWARD!!!!!!!!!

Little Red Barn
04-01-2009, 06:44 PM
((Blue)) remember last year? It's no different, just a bit of mischief and fun. No harm. Enjoy it and no need to defend what you like or dislike.

Samantha's_Song
04-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Well Blue, I can't say I'm freaked out or anything. I would never want to read or watch anything to do with Twilight myself, and I know this will make me very unpopular, but I think this is all in very bad taste.
Twilight and S. Meyer might not be everyone's cup of tea, her work may not be written terribly well, but the author is still that, an author, a published one, which most of us can only ever aspire to be. And at least she got teens reading once again. Whatever happened to respect your fellow author?

KikiteNeko
04-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Well Blue, I can't say I'm freaked out or anything. I would never want to read or watch anything to do with Twilight myself, and I know this will make me very unpopular, but I think this is all in very bad taste.
Twilight and S. Meyer might not be everyone's cup of tea, her work may not be written terribly well, but the author is still that, an author, a published one, which most of us can only ever aspire to be. And at least she got teens reading once again. Whatever happened to respect your fellow author?

You operate under the assumption, of course, that Meyer is an author.

BlueLucario
04-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Whatever happened to respect your fellow author?

...It didn't change.

I'm sitting here reading all this like : HUH?

It was like the mods escaped from their asylum. :D

Samantha's_Song
04-01-2009, 07:01 PM
:D

When I first got on here this morning and saw the big banner, my eyes nearly dropped out of my head, mind you, I had only just got up. I haven't read any of the April fool's day postings besides this one. I just think the poo thing is taking it a bit too far.

...It didn't change.

I'm sitting here reading all this like : HUH?

CaroGirl
04-01-2009, 07:02 PM
April first is so last year.

CaseyMcG
04-01-2009, 07:03 PM
I work at Borders so after seeing the book...and the movie...and the movie companion...and the directors book...and action figure...and 8 month calendar (because the other 4 months don't count...?)...and the conversation hearts...and tattoos and magnets and pins and bags and t-shirts and pens and watches and umbrellas and bookmarks and gift cards...well, I've about had enough. Payback yo!

BlueLucario
04-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I hope these MODs know what they're doing. Like CT said "We have enough Twilight bashing threads to deal with already." Which is why I stopped making Twilight threads for good.

CaroGirl
04-01-2009, 07:06 PM
If I join in and take the piss, it'll be at the expense of the bad fan-ficcer who tried to profit from someone else's idea. It won't be at the expense of a fellow author who made good. I haven't read the books because they're not the kind of thing I read. At. All. So I won't criticize. Most of this seems all in good fun this morning. Some of it seems to take the idea a smidgen too far (IMO).

Bubastes
04-01-2009, 07:10 PM
What CaroGirl said. Any joking I do is NOT at Meyer's expense. She gets my respect for writing something that has captured the imaginations of millions, which is no easy task.

Cathy C
04-01-2009, 07:13 PM

No mere bars and stone can hold us! We're eternal . . . eternal, I say!

:poke:

scarletpeaches
04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
I can understand the big twilight ad on top, but seriously.

Since half this whole forum hates Twilight and "smeyer", I don't understand what the heck is going on.

I'm a border-on Twilight fan. (Hate the movie. And I feel sorry for the chick who played Bella. Pattinson is ugly as hell.)

If ya'll need me, I'll hide in my turtle shell, just let me know when it's all over.

Take that back or GTFO!!!!1111one!!1
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Prettierthanyou.jpg

rhymegirl
04-01-2009, 08:14 PM
I still don't see any Twilight references here.

Bubastes
04-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Is he wearing blush in that photograph? His cheeks look like they're wearing NARS Mata Hari.

Mr Flibble
04-01-2009, 08:19 PM
He's almost enough to put me off men for life. Ewwwww.

benbradley
04-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Just be glad you don't wake up and find yourself with a Hello Kitty avatar.

Cyia
04-01-2009, 08:28 PM
No fiction that encourages people to read is bad fiction. I'm not a vampire fan, but I'm certainly not going to knock those who are.

This line of reasoning always puzzles me. If bad fiction only encourages a reader to read more bad fiction, then it's not a good thing.

(And as far as money, I actually saw Twi-Doritos at Wal-mart. What do corn chips have to do with vampires? For that matter, what does Twilight have to do with vampires?)

willietheshakes
04-01-2009, 08:30 PM
At the risk of being a party-pooper, I fucking hate April Fools.

Somebody email me when we can get back to what I value this board for.

scarletpeaches
04-01-2009, 08:32 PM

Then again, some of us have standards in our reading material.

scarletpeaches, sick of the lowest common denominator

CaroGirl
04-01-2009, 08:33 PM
At the risk of being a party-pooper, I fucking hate April Fools.

Somebody email me when we can get back to what I value this board for.
Hey, I think I went to school with her. She was a slut then, too.

brainstorm77
04-01-2009, 08:41 PM
I hope these MODs know what they're doing. Like CT said "We have enough Twilight bashing threads to deal with already." Which is why I stopped making Twilight threads for good.

I wonder what happened to the ' respect your fellow writer' rule? Meyer may not come here or she may ...... I got the banner joke but all these bashing threads?

Stew21
04-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I wonder what happened to the ' respect your fellow writer' rule? Meyer may not come here or she may ...... I got the banner joke but all these bashing threads?

We are still a forum of respect. Changing forums to reflect Twilight wording isn't disrepectful. Ya'll need to lighten up.

scarletpeaches
04-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Stew21, I TOTALLY respect your avatar's abs.

Sirion
04-01-2009, 09:03 PM
It's a joke people. Really, just enjoy the fun.

BlueLucario
04-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Why did my thread get one star? -.-

brainstorm77
We are still a forum of respect. Changing forums to reflect Twilight wording isn't disrepectful. Ya'll need to lighten up.

I'm talking threads not forum wording.

Stew21
Stew21, I TOTALLY respect your avatar's abs.

That's why I picked him. It's all about the abs and the attitude.
Respect the abs!

Stew21
04-01-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm talking threads not forum wording.

Every year people get bent out of shape on April 1st - typically regarding respect.
I have not seen threads that appear to be blatantly disrespectful, rather a good deal of fun being had since this board of late has been very pro vs. con Twilight.

If you direct me to something you believe to be highly disrespectful I'll look at it, but so far, I've just seen good fun.

scarletpeaches
04-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Plus, it gets it out of our system. Tomorrow we'll all be writers again.

BlueLucario
04-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Plus, it gets it out of our system. Tomorrow we'll all be writers again.
I can't wait until that day.

happywritermom
04-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Then again, some of us have standards in our reading material.

scarletpeaches, sick of the lowest common denominator

I'm glad you have standards, but if we want the publishing world to survive, we have to support all types of writing and understand that some readers simply want to be entertained. What's wrong with reading for entertainment? My husband's niece read Twightlight and it was the first book she'd read since she got pregnant with her now-20-year-old son at 16. Now she's hooked on reading again. Everytime I talk to her, she wants to tell me about the latest book she read.

Phaeal
04-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Heh, what would we do without you, Blue? Hilarity always needs outrage to fuel it to higher heights, like, um, Edward up in the trees with Bella. Yeah.

Though to be honest, I found a book on the NYT list this week that makes Twilight look good, and this other book is being hyped to the skies as important lit'rature. At least Twilight spares us that.

Mel
04-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Blue, a sense of humor is good for the soul and the mind. Not everything in life should be taken seriously. Learn to laugh a bit more.

Bubastes
04-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Humor also fuels creativity.

BlueLucario
04-01-2009, 09:30 PM
All this humor....it makes me want to write again.

scarletpeaches
04-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm glad you have standards, but if we want the publishing world to survive, we have to support all types of writing

No we don't. We really don't. There's nothing in the rule book about supporting bad writing.

...and understand that some readers simply want to be entertained.

Forgive me if I'm reading you wrong, but are you suggesting standards and entertainment are mutually exclusive?

What's wrong with reading for entertainment?

Nothing, as long as it's not the literary equivalent of junk food.

My husband's niece read Twightlight and it was the first book she'd read since she got pregnant with her now-20-year-old son at 16. Now she's hooked on reading again. Everytime I talk to her, she wants to tell me about the latest book she read.

Maybe Twilight made her brain hurt and she's desperately trying to find something to make her forget.

MacAllister
04-01-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm glad you have standards, but if we want the publishing world to survive, we have to support all types of writing and understand that some readers simply want to be entertained. What's wrong with reading for entertainment? My husband's niece read Twightlight and it was the first book she'd read since she got pregnant with her now-20-year-old son at 16. Now she's hooked on reading again. Everytime I talk to her, she wants to tell me about the latest book she read.

Word. And the revenues from Meyer's Twilight books are supporting several new authors at the same publisher.

brainstorm77
04-01-2009, 09:34 PM
So who decides what's good and bad in publishing?

scarletpeaches
04-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I do.

brainstorm77
04-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I do.

I see.

BlueLucario
04-01-2009, 09:37 PM
I do.

I see.
I sit. :D

Bubastes
04-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Word. And the revenues from Meyer's Twilight books are supporting several new authors at the same publisher.

QFT.

willietheshakes
04-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Blue, a sense of humor is good for the soul and the mind. Not everything in life should be taken seriously. Learn to laugh a bit more.

You know what? I'm with Blue on this one.

I've got a great sense of humour. But that's not what I come to AW for. If I want a laugh, there are thousands of places on the interwebs I could (and do) go.

scarletpeaches
04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Okay then, for the people who say this is disrespectful, how would you suggest we mark the day, if at all?

And...is it so wrong to have a laugh occasionally? Where is it written that writers must take themselves seriously, as well as their writing?

Jana K White
04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Man, I'll bet there are going to be a few hastily sent text messages from some teen chicklet about stumbling upon the Best. Board.Ever!!!!!!! All Edward, all the time!!!!:roll:

Cranky
04-01-2009, 09:41 PM
It's one day. One. We all let our hair down and have a little fun. It's not fun for everyone, sure, but does it *have* to be? So long as we're not being mean to anyone, I don't see the problem, I honestly don't.

Not saying you can't object, I just don't understand why it makes people so upset.

scarletpeaches
04-01-2009, 09:44 PM
It's one day. One. We all let our hair down and have a little fun. It's not fun for everyone, sure, but does it *have* to be? So long as we're not being mean to anyone, I don't see the problem, I honestly don't.

Not saying you can't object, I just don't understand why it makes people so upset.

Aye.

And for the record, I wouldn't object if I was smeyer. Once you're published, you put yourself out there and have to expect people to have positive and negative opinions on your work.

There are plenty of lickarsey sites praising the Twilight saga. Must the intrachoobs censor itself so that only fans of smeyer's work are allowed to speak?

That's what her site is for. Her brother has a haters force field round it so no negativity can get through. That's the safe place for all Twifans to go.

brainstorm77
04-01-2009, 09:44 PM
I found the AW joke funny in itself... I Believed it :) I really did and yup I clicked the link..I caught on when I noticed the forum names were changed... I just didn't find some ..not all threads very amusing that sprang up afterwards. Then again some people find things more funny than others. What I might not find funny you may find hilarious.

Oh and BTW not a fan have yet to read the book but I did order it and I haven't seen the movie.

Perhaps I'm just a stick in the mud.

Cyia
04-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Aye.

And for the record, I wouldn't object if I was smeyer. Once you're published, you put yourself out there and have to expect people to have positive and negative opinions on your work.

Ditto.

I've got a couple of friends who are part of fandom_wank and I've already told them that when I get published, they have my blessing to wank away.

No one in their right mind is going to buy the idea that everyone loves everything they write.

Samantha's_Song
04-01-2009, 09:54 PM
For me, the most insulting part is in the banner itself... Support absolute write by buying our twilight crap. The rest of it, I don't actually care about, it's just a bit of fun. But how would any AW member like to come on here next April fool's, newly published, and then be insulted?
I think I have a much more warped sense of humour than most on here, but I don't find insults on large banners very funny, especially when the person it's about isn't here to defend herself.

I guess she's too busy counting all of her millions to care anyway :D Yep, I think that's funny.

Cyia
04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
For me, the most insulting part is in the banner itself... Support absolute write by buying our twilight crap. The rest of it, I don't actually care about, it's just a bit of fun. But how would any AW member like to come on here next April fool's, newly published, and then be insulted?

To be fair, it doesn't say Twilight is crap, just the offered merchandise. The quality of the merchandise presented is in no way an indication of the quality of writing in the book said crap was fashioned after.

:D

scarletpeaches
04-01-2009, 10:00 PM

I'd love it.

All I've ever wanted in life is to be published and if I was, I'd be so happy I think I'd be able to cope with some pisstaking.

I think I have a much more warped sense of humour than most on here, but I don't find insults on large banners very funny, especially when the person it's about isn't here to defend herself.

She might be. We just don't know.

And if we as members were published - well then we already have a membership of the site, and would be able to defend ourselves.

I guess she's too busy counting all of her millions to care anyway :D Yep, I think that's funny.

Yeah. Exactly. If she doesn't care, then no harm done. If she does she's welcome to join here and defend herself.

Medievalist
04-01-2009, 10:06 PM

Now hold on--Meyer is not being insulted.

People who are thoughtless consumers are being gently mocked. No one is mocking Meyer--we are gently mocking obsessive fans, like the half-wit who is publishing her own "sequel" fan fic.

You do realize that Meyer has referred to the sale of unauthorized and unsanctioned Twilight merchandise as crap and as garbage?

Moreover, as a smart author, Meyer knows we're giving her amazing free publicity. And we are--people are buying the books today who probably wouldn't otherwise since they're very much marketed as YA.

You'll also notice that there are a fair number of posts like this one (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3449766&postcount=49), which clearly admire Meyer.

Samantha's_Song
04-01-2009, 10:12 PM
For myself, unless I knew the people personally on a serious writers site like this, like I do you and could take pisstaking from you, I'd be pretty upset. I shit myself just placing a query on here. I have a first chapter that I'd love to ask help with for my opening scene, but I don't seem to be able to pluck up the courage to do it. :tongue

I'd love it.

All I've ever wanted in life is to be published and if I was, I'd be so happy I think I'd be able to cope with some pisstaking.

We don't at that, but she's not ever going to make herself known to us if she is, is she.

She might be. We just don't know.

Some of us would get banned straight away. I believe in fair fighting, but I will punch right below the belt if someone gets me into a corner. :D

And if we as members were published - well then we already have a membership of the site, and would be able to defend ourselves.

She's not going to do that, she'd get people asking her for everything from recommendations to the male actors phone numbers etc. Maybe not sparkling, but starry-eyed lovers of Twilight. ;)

Yeah. Exactly. If she doesn't care, then no harm done. If she does she's welcome to join here and defend herself.

BlueLucario
04-01-2009, 10:13 PM
clearly admire Meyer.

Anyone noticed the rhyme? :D

Medievalist
04-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Anyone noticed the rhyme? :D

Heh. I was just complaining as I posted that I can't believe I just used the phrase "admire Meyer," it sounds awful :D

Medievalist
04-01-2009, 10:16 PM
I found the AW joke funny in itself... I Believed it :) I really did and yup I clicked the link..I caught on when I noticed the forum names were changed...

Clicking on the banner makes it pretty clear.

Bubastes
04-01-2009, 10:17 PM
You'll also notice that there are a fair number of posts like this one (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3449766&postcount=49), which clearly admire Meyer.

And this (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3449071&postcount=23)one.

gothicangel
04-01-2009, 10:17 PM
My sister read and enjoyed Twilight and she thought the banner and threads were hilarious.

I don't understand why you attacked Patterson though Blue. Ugly? She is a pretty girl.

Samantha's_Song
04-01-2009, 10:18 PM
I can go for that.

NPeople who are thoughtless consumers are being gently mocked. No one is mocking Meyer--we are gently mocking obsessive fans, like the half-wit who is publishing her own "sequel" fan fic.

I don't know about the rest of it, as I said in my first reply on this thread, I haven't read Twilight, I never will, it's not my cup of tea. As for other threads, I skim them now and again and did actually get involved with the copycat fanfic one for a little while.

mscelina
04-01-2009, 10:21 PM
OH for pete's sake...seriously?

April Fools Day = jokes and fun. For gawd's sake, lighten up.

Feiss
04-01-2009, 10:25 PM
wut's twilight yo?

why are we making fun of the time between dawn and sunrise? And what's with all these pictures of Cedric Diggory with huge hair? And who's that pale sour chick?

clockwork
04-01-2009, 10:27 PM
*holds hand up

I designed the banner on the front page. In the run-up to planning this, I thought it would be good to give the day a title and a graphic to tie everything together. (learned that from Fox News). I honestly think without the banner, if all we had to go on were the thread title changes, this whole day would have been far more confusing.

I sent it to Mac for approval with the complete willingness to change any part of it if necessary for sensitivity or legal reasons. She didn't have any problems so that was enough for me.

If you're interested, the thinking behind the 'crap' wording was to subtly suggest that yes, AW is now sponsored by Twilight but we're not very happy about it. It was a wee dig at the obligation the site would suddenly have to hawk the merchandise at every turn.

On a broader scale, it was supposed to be a red flag to tell people that clearly this isn't for real because no one in their right mind would call their sponsor's merchandise 'crap.' Without 'crap' (and the line about stealing,) the banner would have seemed entirely genuine and that would have probably caused a lot of trouble.

But, I understand it's not everybody's cup of tea and that's cool. No offence is intended and if it's any consolation, it'll be gone soon enough.

benbradley
04-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Clicking on the banner makes it pretty clear.

I hate to come right out and say this, but things you read on the Internet today might not be true! (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/01/april.fools.pranks/index.html)

mscelina
04-01-2009, 10:32 PM
*rolls eyes*

Some people get offended too easily. Absolute Write has my permission now and in perpetuity to use any of my books for satirical purposes at any time whatsoever.

So there.

MacAllister
04-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I actually thought the banner was hilarious--even though I hate April Fools Day, have since I was a kid.

And, for the record, I have nothing but respect for Ms. Meyer, who has managed to catch the attention, imagination, and hold the interest of so very many fans of all different ages and backgrounds. I know it's a popular thing to slight that accomplishment, and write it all off to luck and slick marketing -- but quite frankly, I strongly believe that she's a writer who hooked into of one of those shared-truth places in the psyche of her fans, then held on to it with both hands. That's not simple luck, and it's not just slick marketing.

mscelina
04-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I agree, Mac. Besides, any writer who manages to get the adolescents of the world reading is doing them a huge service. Ultimately, that fan base will grow up and diffuse into the genres of adult reading which means that she's doing us a huge service too.

Medievalist
04-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I hate to come right out and say this, but things you read on the Internet today might not be true! (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/01/april.fools.pranks/index.html)

Say it ain't so! I'm about to post about Apple's [sic] iBrator on my Examiner page :D

mekolo_diesne
04-01-2009, 10:43 PM
This is absolutely ridiculous. I have never liked Twilight, nor had the slightest interest in it. I hope this doesn't last.

CaoPaux
04-01-2009, 10:44 PM
˙ɯǝɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıɥƃnɐl sɹǝɥʇo ǝʌɐɥ uoos llıʍ sǝʌlǝsɯǝɥʇ ʇɐ ɥƃnɐl oʇ doʇs ʇ,uop oɥʍ ǝsoɥʇ

JeanneTGC
04-01-2009, 10:45 PM
It's a joke. It's fun. And it's publicity. The mods could have picked any successful series to target. They picked one of the hot ones for right now. So what? I'm betting that S. Meyer can probably take a joke, and if she can't, well, the stuff'll be down before she probably ever notices it.

And, if it's not your cuppa, well, gee, again, it's one day. Deal. There are plenty of forums that aren't sparkling. (Poor Westerns was dissed by the sparklers. What? Insinuating there were no vamps and weres in the Old West? That's timeperiodism, that is!)

Satire is still considered an art form. It's hard to do and do well. I think the mods did an awesome job.

(Though, really, there is not enough representation of the werewolf kid. And nothing's sparkling in the Western forum. But, you know, other than those horrific oversights, I think it's all good.)

mscelina
04-01-2009, 10:46 PM
I was going to quote that for truth CaoPaux, but I wasn't sure if the copy and paste would work on it. ;)

happywritermom
04-01-2009, 10:48 PM
I found the humor in the banner, just not in the bashing.

By the way, I've had it with the "pregnant" and "engaged" jokes today. At least the Twilight thing is orginal!

CaroGirl
04-01-2009, 11:16 PM
I thought the joking part of April Fool's Day was only supposed to last until noon. Although that might have been an April Fool's joke on me, I suppose...

brainstorm77
04-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I thought the joking part of April Fool's Day was only supposed to last until noon. Although that might have been an April Fool's joke on me, I suppose...

That's the way it is where I live.

Perle_Rare
04-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Now hold on--Meyer is not being insulted.

I agreed with you and took it all in good fun until I saw this thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136861).

I have no issues discussing someone's work but that particular thread got a bit too close to author bashing for me. I'd hate to be successful if that's how we don't insult such authors.

I'm signing off. I'll be back tomorrow.

BlueLucario
04-02-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm not trying to take this seriously, but...

...Let's just say I'm the only person who didn't get the joke. Let's leave it at that.

Cyia
04-02-2009, 12:35 AM

In whose time zone? :D

Medievalist
04-02-2009, 12:42 AM

Absolute Bite is an international forum; it's still noon, somewhere.

TemlynWriting
04-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Absolute Bite is an international forum; it's still noon, somewhere.

Exactly what I was going to say.

clockwork
04-02-2009, 12:48 AM
In whose time zone? :D

Well, exactly. And what time is it supposed to start? Midnight? 8AM? There are no rules for this sort of thing and you can't possibly time it to the minute - the time it takes to change and unchange things takes hours alone. So, in the interest of fairness, it's running all day to give everyone a chance to be equally irked/entertained.

ETA - as kids we theorised that adults made up the noon rule in an effort to prevent their kid's shenanigans from running into the night. I still think that's how it came about. :)

Wayne K
04-02-2009, 01:01 AM
I actually thought the banner was hilarious--even though I hate April Fools Day, have since I was a kid.

And, for the record, I have nothing but respect for Ms. Meyer, who has managed to catch the attention, imagination, and hold the interest of so very many fans of all different ages and backgrounds. I know it's a popular thing to slight that accomplishment, and write it all off to luck and slick marketing -- but quite frankly, I strongly believe that she's a writer who hooked into of one of those shared-truth places in the psyche of her fans, then held on to it with both hands. That's not simple luck, and it's not just slick marketing.

I've never read her stuff, but I'm going to QFT.

A small amount of success can be attributed to luck or slickioscity, but this kind of success rings of good writing to me. It's a shame I don't read the genre or I might actually dump the jealousy and read her books.

tengraceapples
04-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Wow, so much said already...
Okay, as for me, I love Twilight because it appeals to the reckless teenage girl in me. A space where there are no consequences for my actions and love is all that matters.
I'm sure that are better books out there but we all know as artist, "better" is ALWAYS up to interpretation. The book is a fun escape and isn't that a big part of story telling?

I have heard Meyer on tv and she seems nice and despite the frenzy, she seems dedicated to keeping the story the way she saw it. She could have given in and written a fifth book because the demand was there. But she stuck to only four books because that what the story called for. I could see another writer pumping out four more books just to make more money.

I think a few folks on here are just hate'n. But hey, I have my moments too.
But AW, maybe the huge banner is a little too much.

Just a thought: )

Swordswoman
04-02-2009, 01:54 AM
Sorry, but I love it. If we can only laugh at ourselves for one little day in the year, then please let's at least do that.

However, I did wonder - would it be possible to change back the titles of the two big PA threads (NEPAT and Son of Pamb)? It's only that those threads are there to draw in potential victims doing quick internet searches for PA, and the Twilight header could lose them. I love the joke (especially appropriate in that forum) but it would be a shame if some writer came looking - and didn't find...

If we miss one, they might not just be a Fool for one day, but for seven whole years.

Louise

Delhomeboy
04-02-2009, 02:03 AM
I've never read her stuff, but I'm going to QFT.

A small amount of success can be attributed to luck or slickioscity, but this kind of success rings of good writing to me. It's a shame I don't read the genre or I might actually dump the jealousy and read her books.

Seriously. And even if her writing is flawed, or just average, the fact of the matter is that people are attracted to STORIES, not necessarily lush and perfect and nonpareil wordplay. Meyer's created a world that appeals to a lot of people, and even though I don't share the enthusiasm, I' m not going to sit here and say that she's a terrible author.

Medievalist
04-02-2009, 02:22 AM
Sorry, but I love it. If we can only laugh at ourselves for one little day in the year, then please let's at least do that.

It's not going to be enough to affect the Google spiders and archive; the site gets spidered in the wee hours.

We're putting things back tonight.

Swordswoman
04-02-2009, 02:30 AM
Thanks, Medievalist. I should have known you'd thought of that...

Louise

KikiteNeko
04-02-2009, 02:32 AM
Lighten up, people, it's a bloody joke and in a few hours the mean scary mods will make it go bye-bye for you and you'll be awl better. That is all.

moth
04-02-2009, 03:01 AM
I confess I knew right away it was a joke -- I know how AW gets on this day and was curious to see what was going to happen this year. ;) I think it's really funny, in a good-natured way. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-02-2009, 03:29 AM
For gods' sake, people... if you hate pranks and April Fool's fun... don't log in on April 1st and all your angst can be saved for things much more deserving - like world hunger, the war in the Middle East, the G20 summit, the stability of your job, where your next meal's coming from, and the outcome of your blood test. It's just that easy.

Soccer Mom
04-02-2009, 03:36 AM
Um, I just got back from several hours of that special hell known as day job and what do I find?

There is no werewolf love going on in this thread, people!

Don't make me lock it.

Kaylee
04-02-2009, 03:45 AM
I think Robert Pattinson is very good looking. The song let me sign I actually like.

Life is what happens, while you're busy making other plans. --- John Lennon

shokadh
04-02-2009, 04:01 AM
Um, I just got back from several hours of that special hell known as day job and what do I find?

There is no werewolf love going on in this thread, people!

Don't make me lock it.

Personally, I'm rather partial to werewolves, myself.

heh-heh

*out runnin' with the pack by the light of the moon...*

Shok:cool:

Soccer Mom
04-02-2009, 04:03 AM
Yay! Team Jacob is in da house!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-02-2009, 04:03 AM
There's just something so... so... primal about the wolves. I like 'em.

KikiteNeko
04-02-2009, 04:06 AM
I think Robert Pattinson is very good looking.

What I like about Robert Patterson is that the kid forever looks STONED out of his MIND. He was on GMA with Kristen Stewart, and he was slumped in the seat flipping back his hair the entire time. Whole sentences passed through his ears with nary a response.

Soccer Mom
04-02-2009, 04:10 AM
So I like my men dumb and hairy. :shrugs:

KikiteNeko
04-02-2009, 04:11 AM
So I like my men dumb and hairy. :shrugs:

And dead, and cold as marble. Because a stiff, marble, cold body is something you want boning you on your honeymoon.

Soccer Mom
04-02-2009, 04:18 AM
And dead, and cold as marble. Because a stiff, marble, cold body is something you want boning you on your honeymoon.

See, that's why werewolves are so much better than vampires. Happiness is a warm puppy werewolf.

KikiteNeko
04-02-2009, 04:20 AM
See, that's why werewolves are so much better than vampires. Happiness is a warm puppy werewolf.

I love how every fangirl seems to envy Bella, when really her options are a romp in the hay with marble-wiener, or a litter of puppies.

Bubastes
04-02-2009, 04:21 AM

Kinda like a popsicle.

Soccer Mom
04-02-2009, 04:26 AM
I love how every fangirl seems to envy Bella, when really her options are a romp in the hay with marble-wiener, or a litter of puppies.

She should go for the pups. Dogs are so trainable.

KikiteNeko
04-02-2009, 04:27 AM
Kinda like a popsicle.

And now to further capitalize on Twilight: The Edward Cullen Vibra--

no. Even I can't go there.

KikiteNeko
04-02-2009, 04:28 AM
She should go for the pups. Dogs are so trainable.

"Here, Jacob, Jacob, Jacob. Momma Bella has snausages!"

Shweta
04-02-2009, 04:40 AM
"Here, Jacob, Jacob, Jacob. Momma Bella has snausages!"
:ROFL:

Ambrosia
04-02-2009, 05:13 AM
:roll:

Soccer Mom
04-02-2009, 05:13 AM
Noes! The sparklies have Tomo!

Sit, Jacob! Heel! Good boy! Walkies time!

KikiteNeko
04-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Noes! The sparklies have Tomo!

Sit, Jacob! Heel! Good boy! Walkies time!

PH33R my SPARKULZ.

I was watching this show once where one character said of another character, "She doesn't think in actual thoughts, so much as in glitter stickers and ponies and hello kitty."

That about sums up the mods today.

Nivarion
04-02-2009, 05:22 AM
Now joining the cult of vamp lovers.

Blood, I mean uhh. Sparklesssss Spaaaarklesssss

scarletpeaches
04-02-2009, 05:22 AM
I agreed with you and took it all in good fun until I saw this thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136861).

I have no issues discussing someone's work but that particular thread got a bit too close to author bashing for me. I'd hate to be successful if that's how we don't insult such authors.

I'm signing off. I'll be back tomorrow.

Yes, because that thread was totallly serious. Merging King and Meyer to see what they'd look like as one person.

Enjoy your temporary flounce.

KikiteNeko
04-02-2009, 05:24 AM
Yes, because that thread was totallly serious. Merging King and Meyer to see what they'd look like as one person.

Enjoy your temporary flounce.

Someone needs to tell Meyer that wearing slutty lipstick and a choker does not make her a teenager, or a vampire. Cause I think she truly believes she's one or both.

ChaosTitan
04-02-2009, 05:26 AM
"She doesn't think in actual thoughts, so much as in glitter stickers and ponies and hello kitty."

That about sums up the mods today.

Actually, that about sums us up every day. We're just usually better at hiding it. :D

KikiteNeko
04-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Actually, that about sums us up every day. We're just usually better at hiding it. :D

Some random mod: SPARKLE SEIZURE
Mac: Shh, not until the AWers are sleeping.

CaoPaux
04-02-2009, 05:43 AM
˙ƃuıɥsɐlɟ ʇɹɐʇs ǝʍ llıʇ, ʇıɐʍ ʇsnɾ ˙ʇı ɟo ʇɹɐʇs ǝɥʇ ʇsnɾ ǝɹɐ sǝlʞɹɐds

KikiteNeko
04-02-2009, 05:44 AM

Excuse me, we do not flash. We vampires keep our shirts on until marriage, young lady.

Cranky
04-02-2009, 05:45 AM

:eek:

Oh, that's not right.

Nivarion
04-02-2009, 05:48 AM

Sleep? We're supposed to do that?
Man, if i had known i wouldn't have been spending all my money on anti-sleep drugs for all this time.

scarletpeaches
04-02-2009, 05:53 AM
Excuse me, we do not flash. We vampires keep our shirts on until marriage, young lady.

And even then we wear special holy undercrackers.

shokadh
04-02-2009, 06:01 AM

I wish you'd all come out of hiding more often. This was the most fun I've had in many many full moons

*runs outside to howl at moon*

Shok

ChaosTitan
04-02-2009, 06:08 AM

:eek:

ALERT! ALERT! Tomo has breached the Secret Mod Bat Cave That Doesn't Actually Exist!

I wish you'd all come out of hiding more often. This was the most fun I've had in many many full moons

We're always around. You just don't see us. We can be anywhere. Anytime.

Muwaahahahahahaha!!!! :e2chain:

Soccer Mom
04-02-2009, 06:13 AM
Oh crapola.

Now we're gonna have to go clean the house up after the day of merriment.

:shudders:

KikiteNeko
04-02-2009, 06:15 AM
Is it just me, or is the AW logo on steroids up there? It's friggin huge.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-02-2009, 06:16 AM
We're always around. You just don't see us. We can be anywhere. Anytime.

Muwaahahahahahaha!!!! :e2chain:

They don't see us... but we see them!

Dave.C.Robinson
04-02-2009, 06:25 AM
I don't like the Twilight books - tried them, can't stand them. We bought all four: my girlfriend's teen daughter loves them.

I thought "Absolute Bite" was funny - so were a number of the thread titles. I stayed away most of the day because I felt it went on too long. Don't get me wrong, the parts I enjoyed I really enjoyed.

Even if it wasn't entirely to my taste I hope it doesn't stop people from doing something next year.

Medievalist
04-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Is it just me, or is the AW logo on steroids up there? It's friggin huge.

Workin' on it.

KikiteNeko
04-02-2009, 06:53 AM
Workin' on it.

Oh okay good, I thought my eyes were just broken from staring at the twilight banner all day.