The Tonys

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack Ray's thread, but was that not the worst awards show ever? I love Hugh Jackman. I love Aretha Franklin. What the &#@! was going on with the audio? There was a great moment in which Jackman's eyes conveyed a "WTF?" look offstage. And to pick that as the one song to represent Sondheim? Even "Send in the Clowns" would've been a better choice.

I gained an appreciation for Victoria Clark, who didn't miss a step with audio problems, switching from hand-held (which must have been a last-minute decision) to lav seamlessly during her song.

Were there not better songs to feature from Spamalot? I haven't seen it, but if that clip is any indication, I don't really want to - much as I adore David Hyde Pierce and Tim Curry.

And for those of us who haven't seen The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, what was with the stunt casting of Al Sharpton? And who was that guy who sang him off?

Best acceptance speech: Edward Albee. Broke my heart. Can't believe it's taken this long for him to win the award.

Best musical number: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. As we watched it, a friend and I both kind of dissed it, but Norbert Leo Butz is impossible not to watch - and he managed to stay on pitch. As the night went on, it turned out to be the benchmark none of the others met.

<sigh> So pathetic. C'mon playwrights! We need more good new plays (and musicals)!