Re How should AW "cull" its Romance and Sci-Fi authors? (AW Pyramid Scheme)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for posting this here - I intended to PM this to the Pyramid Scheme sub-forum moderators as asked, but when I try my bookmarked link I can't get in to check who they are. The Pyramid Scheme forum isn't appearing on the Water Cooler main page any more either, at least, not for me.

Well, guys, we've hit our target of 11,000 members signed up, and we're ready to Go! to the next stage of this process! This is where your input becomes vital to shaping Absolute Write's new direction.

The genre poll is now closed, and the results are in: Our first publication will be either a Romance or a Sci-Fi novel! Literary came a close third in the poll, and we'll be keeping this in mind for our second publication in the fall.

Our next order of business is to pick the AW member whose book we will be making into our first bestseller! Here's how it goes:

* Take a look at the Ready To Go! books by Scheme members listed under the Romance and Sci-Fi categories in the Our Books stickied post at the top of the forum. Read their one-paragraph descriptions and note the ones that grab you the most.

(snip)

* We want your suggestions for ways to judge the ultimate winner! It is important that the book you have agreed to buy is one that you like. With such talent to choose from, you tell us: How should AW "cull" its Romance and Sci-Fi authors? Be as creative as you want - we want this contest to be fun!

Here are my suggestions:

Readers who have read the books in question and like them, to champion them in posts to the voting members.
Q & A with the authors about their books.
A "conflict-off" -- who has the best conflicts, a side by side comparison.
As a tie-breaker -- whomever appears on the fewest Ignore lists on the Water Cooler.

Addenda

(i) There will NOT be a beauty or weight-lifting contest component.*
(ii) *Unless this option is voted for by the Schemers.
(iii) To be clear: We continue to encourage up-to-the-minute research on the Twilight phenomenon. Don't forget that more newbies join us every day. A few one-month old threads on whether people like Meyer's writing or not are unfortunately not "current" enough for our purposes. We will gather the data: please, keep posting as you are able.

I'm quite worried about the sub-forum having disappeared. I have to admit that I'm worried my recent flame war postings and subsequent time-outs might have got me banned from the Scheme. :( Can the other Schemers still see it?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
The forum is still there, Elara. But due to greedy people signing up multiple times with "sockpuppet" usernames, we've had to impose password-only access. I could send you the password but I see there's a big discussion thread about you, so you'll have to PM the forum mods directly, sorry. I hope this gets resolved quickly as you must be losing money paw over claw.

-Derek

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I can get in fine. Mac's so short of money right now (what with that police thing she got involved with the other day, and Uncle Jim upping his fees for his novel-writing thread) that they need to raise a lot of cash out of this, so perhaps the mods are only letting in the people they think have a chance of making this work for them.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
:Jaw:

Well! I'm glad I didn't vote for your book, Old Hack!

And I want to report dpaterso's post above. I'm sure he was being very rude to me as well, in that last line.

Matera the Mad, (hugs). If we're being kept out, well, we can just start our own pyramid scheme. With blackjack, and hookers. One that truly runs with the power of the members, and not the corrupt Mod organisation.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I can get in fine. Mac's so short of money right now (what with that police thing she got involved with the other day, and Uncle Jim upping his fees for his novel-writing thread) that they need to raise a lot of cash out of this, so perhaps the mods are only letting in the people they think have a chance of making this work for them.

Financial discrimination! I am SO going to flounce!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, come on. If you can't pay your registration fee for the PS forum then how do you expect to be able to pay for your Promotion Pack? Those lolipop trees don't just grow, you know, someone has to make them and lolipops cost.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, um, when you said, um, cull, you weren't really talking about culling those of us who write Romance and Sci-Fi, right? Cause I can go with another genre, it isn't a problem. For that matter, I technically write Fantasy. I could delete the posts and poems leaning in the direction of Romance... noooooo problem. :D

Cull:
to reduce or control the size of (as a herd) by removal (as by hunting) of especially weaker animals ; also : to hunt or kill (animals) as a means of population control.

Hmmmm... now that I think about it, I wonder if that is why Meyers gave Edward's family the name of Cullens. Oh, the plot thickens!

Status
Not open for further replies.