dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
The novel has a huge number of fans and the movie has won many more, so "everyone" is incorrect.

-Derek

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
What exactly is it about the saga which gives people such misgivings?

I can't say exactly why people dislike Twilight - i enjoyed the books - but many, many books are loved by some and loathed by others. What Twilight has experienced in terms of a love/hate relationship with readers is nothing new.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the books. The movie... not so much. I can say I actually hated the movie. And, Edward sparkles better in my imagination than any special effects on the screen could capture. :D

What a great April 1st gift Mac and the Mods have given us today! Luckily I wasn't drinking coffee when I came in this morning. I would have spewed. :roll:

Eskimo1990

is here :)
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder that too.
But I love it.
I'm slightly obsessed with the entire thing. But I loved the books and had read all of them before the movie even came out. The movie was good, but the book was better, as always. :)

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
I am fed up to teeth with vampires

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, I didn't know Wayne wrote it. He's a talented guy.
"He" outed himself as Stephenie Meyers in the Incognito thread yesterday.

The best thing about Twilight is how every time a character speaks, you know how they said it because it's made so clear with saidisms like "muttered" and "demanded" and "murmured" and "insisted." Also, the facial expressions always back up what the character is saying - "I rolled my eyes" or "he rolled his eyes" or even "her eyes rolled." So creative! No wonder it's a huge best seller.

The movie was kind of a disappointment though, because without the saidisms and the eye rolling the story didn't make as much sense.

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
*Rolls eyes*

Board speak

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As I said, that Wayne is a talented guy. :D

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I didn't realize people didn't like Twilight, to be honest. I must have been living under my rock for too long. :) I love the books, but I thought the movie was lacking a lot. I'm looking forward to reading her work from Edward's point of view, but from what I've read . . . it will be awhile before that book is finished.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realize people didn't like Twilight, to be honest. I must have been living under my rock for too long. :) I love the books, but I thought the movie was lacking a lot. I'm looking forward to reading her work from Edward's point of view, but from what I've read . . . it will be awhile before that book is finished.
I enjoyed what she put up on her site, even though it was a rough first draft and incomplete. She does need to finish it and not let the people who stole it and posted it on the Internet keep her from her dream. Regardless whether a person loves her work, hates it, or couldn't care less, the theft was a horrible thing to have happen to a writer. No wonder it devastated her. The only cure for that is to finish the book and make it better than anything she has previously had published. I wish her all the success in her endeavors. And the heads of those who stole her work.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
"He" outed himself as Stephenie Meyers in the Incognito thread yesterday.

The best thing about Twilight is how every time a character speaks, you know how they said it because it's made so clear with saidisms like "muttered" and "demanded" and "murmured" and "insisted." Also, the facial expressions always back up what the character is saying - "I rolled my eyes" or "he rolled his eyes" or even "her eyes rolled." So creative! No wonder it's a huge best seller.

The movie was kind of a disappointment though, because without the saidisms and the eye rolling the story didn't make as much sense.

Can I quote you on that...oh, I just did.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I bought the first book yesterday from Amazon along with some others. I have to say one reason I decided to buy it was because of all the dislike of it I have read here. It made me curious :)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I bought the first book yesterday from Amazon along with some others. I have to say one reason I decided to buy it was because of all the dislike of it I have read here. It made me curious :)
Alright! I expect another convert to fandom, btw. ;):tongue

dancingandflying

Is it tea time yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you why I hate Twilight.

It's poorly written, I find the characters are one-dimensional, and I have a theory on why this book is loved by so many people(which makes me hate it even more): Stephenie Meyer understands that every girl dreams to have this perfect guy just show up and say, "I'm so in love with you because you're so normal". Seriously - If Edward were really the guy he was in the books (basically flawless except the whole vampire thing, which he somehow managed to overcome) and Bella was the girl she was (completely normal and "flat"), they would not really be together. That's just not how it works in high school. The reason the books are so popular is because Stephenie Meyer could exploit that dream and use it to her advantage; she made Bella one-dimensional so that it wouldn't be difficult for the reader to imagine themselves as her, consciously or subconsciously.

The story isn't original, the "love" aspect isn't original, the characters are boring, it's poorly written - what's there to love?

d&f.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you why I hate Twilight.

Stephenie Meyer understands that every girl dreams to have this perfect guy just show up and say, "I'm so in love with you because you're so normal".

uh oh. i think i'm in the deep shit.

but back on topic - at my library, it has one of the longest waiting lists - evah! Longer even than Nicholas Sparks - and he's local! Teens, tweens, and grown folks, they're all reading it.