PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone dislike Twilight?

StephenJSweeney
04-01-2009, 12:47 PM
No, serious question. I'm not trying to be facetious.

What exactly is it about the saga which gives people such misgivings?

kct webber
04-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Sparkly angst?

Don't know. Never read it.

dpaterso
04-01-2009, 01:29 PM
The novel has a huge number of fans and the movie has won many more, so "everyone" is incorrect.

-Derek

Rarri
04-01-2009, 01:35 PM

I can't say exactly why people dislike Twilight - i enjoyed the books - but many, many books are loved by some and loathed by others. What Twilight has experienced in terms of a love/hate relationship with readers is nothing new.

Ambrosia
04-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I loved the books. The movie... not so much. I can say I actually hated the movie. And, Edward sparkles better in my imagination than any special effects on the screen could capture. :D

What a great April 1st gift Mac and the Mods have given us today! Luckily I wasn't drinking coffee when I came in this morning. I would have spewed. :roll:

Eskimo1990
04-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I wonder that too.
But I love it.
I'm slightly obsessed with the entire thing. But I loved the books and had read all of them before the movie even came out. The movie was good, but the book was better, as always. :)

Devil Ledbetter
04-01-2009, 03:03 PM
OMGz I luuuuuuuurve Twilight. WayneK wroted it, you know.

petec
04-01-2009, 03:04 PM
I am fed up to teeth with vampires

rhymegirl
04-01-2009, 03:21 PM
OMGz I luuuuuuuurve Twilight. WayneK wroted it, you know.

No, I didn't know Wayne wrote it. He's a talented guy.

Shweta
04-01-2009, 03:21 PM
I am fed up to teeth with vampires

But they are perfect teeth.

Devil Ledbetter
04-01-2009, 03:42 PM
No, I didn't know Wayne wrote it. He's a talented guy.
"He" outed himself as Stephenie Meyers in the Incognito thread yesterday.

The best thing about Twilight is how every time a character speaks, you know how they said it because it's made so clear with saidisms like "muttered" and "demanded" and "murmured" and "insisted." Also, the facial expressions always back up what the character is saying - "I rolled my eyes" or "he rolled his eyes" or even "her eyes rolled." So creative! No wonder it's a huge best seller.

The movie was kind of a disappointment though, because without the saidisms and the eye rolling the story didn't make as much sense.

petec
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
*Rolls eyes*

Board speak

Jersey Chick
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Cool - I can't get enough - I heard Meyer is tackling werewolves in her next series. I'm really looking forward to those.

rhymegirl
04-01-2009, 03:45 PM
As I said, that Wayne is a talented guy. :D

jenngreenleaf
04-01-2009, 03:48 PM
I didn't realize people didn't like Twilight, to be honest. I must have been living under my rock for too long. :) I love the books, but I thought the movie was lacking a lot. I'm looking forward to reading her work from Edward's point of view, but from what I've read . . . it will be awhile before that book is finished.

Ambrosia
04-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I didn't realize people didn't like Twilight, to be honest. I must have been living under my rock for too long. :) I love the books, but I thought the movie was lacking a lot. I'm looking forward to reading her work from Edward's point of view, but from what I've read . . . it will be awhile before that book is finished.I enjoyed what she put up on her site, even though it was a rough first draft and incomplete. She does need to finish it and not let the people who stole it and posted it on the Internet keep her from her dream. Regardless whether a person loves her work, hates it, or couldn't care less, the theft was a horrible thing to have happen to a writer. No wonder it devastated her. The only cure for that is to finish the book and make it better than anything she has previously had published. I wish her all the success in her endeavors. And the heads of those who stole her work.

Wayne K
04-01-2009, 04:02 PM
"He" outed himself as Stephenie Meyers in the Incognito thread yesterday.

The best thing about Twilight is how every time a character speaks, you know how they said it because it's made so clear with saidisms like "muttered" and "demanded" and "murmured" and "insisted." Also, the facial expressions always back up what the character is saying - "I rolled my eyes" or "he rolled his eyes" or even "her eyes rolled." So creative! No wonder it's a huge best seller.

The movie was kind of a disappointment though, because without the saidisms and the eye rolling the story didn't make as much sense.

Can I quote you on that...oh, I just did.

TheRightEyedDeer
04-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Gee. I've never even heard of Twilight. How did I miss it?

Hang on ... is that the stuff that's not writing, just typing?

brainstorm77
04-01-2009, 04:11 PM
I bought the first book yesterday from Amazon along with some others. I have to say one reason I decided to buy it was because of all the dislike of it I have read here. It made me curious :)

Ambrosia
04-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I bought the first book yesterday from Amazon along with some others. I have to say one reason I decided to buy it was because of all the dislike of it I have read here. It made me curious :)Alright! I expect another convert to fandom, btw. ;):tongue

brainstorm77
04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Alright! I expect another convert to fandom, btw. ;):tongue

We shall see :)

Chauchat Butterfly
04-01-2009, 04:22 PM
I love Twilight, I love sparkles, I am literally 12 years old.

dancingandflying
04-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Well, I can tell you why I hate Twilight.

It's poorly written, I find the characters are one-dimensional, and I have a theory on why this book is loved by so many people(which makes me hate it even more): Stephenie Meyer understands that every girl dreams to have this perfect guy just show up and say, "I'm so in love with you because you're so normal". Seriously - If Edward were really the guy he was in the books (basically flawless except the whole vampire thing, which he somehow managed to overcome) and Bella was the girl she was (completely normal and "flat"), they would not really be together. That's just not how it works in high school. The reason the books are so popular is because Stephenie Meyer could exploit that dream and use it to her advantage; she made Bella one-dimensional so that it wouldn't be difficult for the reader to imagine themselves as her, consciously or subconsciously.

The story isn't original, the "love" aspect isn't original, the characters are boring, it's poorly written - what's there to love?

d&f.

Unique
04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Well, I can tell you why I hate Twilight.

Stephenie Meyer understands that every girl dreams to have this perfect guy just show up and say, "I'm so in love with you because you're so normal".

uh oh. i think i'm in the deep shit.

but back on topic - at my library, it has one of the longest waiting lists - evah! Longer even than Nicholas Sparks - and he's local! Teens, tweens, and grown folks, they're all reading it.

scarletpeaches
04-01-2009, 04:43 PM
NE1 who doesnt liek Twilight is leik, totes a jelouse looser.

brainstorm77
04-01-2009, 04:44 PM
No SP.... Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I do think however some go a tad overboard with it. Each to their own.

trocadero
04-01-2009, 04:53 PM
She wrote a book. She sold a book. So what? It wasn't a literary masterpiece. So what? Can't we move on already?

I might be the only one in the whole of absolutewrite who feels this way (though I doubt it) but the whole April 1st Twilight thing makes me a bit uncomfortable. Well, more than a bit, actually. It just seems a bit bitchy.

ellisnation
04-01-2009, 04:59 PM
What a great April 1st gift Mac and the Mods have given us today! Luckily I wasn't drinking coffee when I came in this morning. I would have spewed. :roll:

So that's what's going on!!! I thought, for sure, I'd lost my mind, lol.

Ambrosia
04-01-2009, 05:07 PM
She wrote a book. She sold a book. So what? It wasn't a literary masterpiece. So what? Can't we move on already?

I might be the only one in the whole of absolutewrite who feels this way (though I doubt it) but the whole April 1st Twilight thing makes me a bit uncomfortable. Well, more than a bit, actually. It just seems a bit bitchy.
I really have to run out the door to my chiro appt but wanted to respond to this first. I don't think what Mac and the Mods have done is bitchy at all. I love the books, I think Stephanie Meyer is awesome. She will improve on her weak points as she keeps writing but the story she created, the world she created, is awesome. Love it. And I do not like vampire stories. But hers, I liked.

I love what the staff at AW has done. It is intensely fun. And it gives people, regardless their feelings about the Twilight series and Meyers, a chance to laugh and enjoy themselves. I would put it as creative genius.

I love this place! :D

jenngreenleaf
04-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I enjoyed what she put up on her site, even though it was a rough first draft and incomplete. She does need to finish it and not let the people who stole it and posted it on the Internet keep her from her dream. Regardless whether a person loves her work, hates it, or couldn't care less, the theft was a horrible thing to have happen to a writer. No wonder it devastated her. The only cure for that is to finish the book and make it better than anything she has previously had published. I wish her all the success in her endeavors. And the heads of those who stole her work.
I agree - this was a really horrible thing for any writer to go through. I was pleased, though, to read that even though she was going to tank the project that she's going to finish it eventually. I'm really looking forward to when that happens. I'm reading her book, The Host, right now.

Zipotes
04-01-2009, 05:14 PM
My name is Stacey and I liked Twilight.

Seriously, I enjoyed Twilight and The Host. (I did hate men for awhile after because of 'perfect' Edward, but I got over it, kind of)
Just because Stephenie Meyer wrote books that became extremely popular, doesn't mean she was expected to create a literary masterpiece. She never claimed to be perfect. She's an author, a good storyteller and did well. I'm happy for her. Jealousy is not flattering. The movie was really low budget though.

maestrowork
04-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Stephenie Meyer understands that every girl dreams to have this perfect guy just show up and say, "I'm so in love with you because you're so normal"... The reason the books are so popular is because Stephenie Meyer could exploit that dream and use it to her advantage; she made Bella one-dimensional so that it wouldn't be difficult for the reader to imagine themselves as her, consciously or subconsciously.

Exactly why Meyer hit the jackpot because she understood this very well, because she lived through that herself (the whole "dreaming of one true love" thing), and the series is one big wish-fulfillment for all the "normal" girls/women in the world. That's probably why she deserves the millions she's making because she KNOWS her target audience. She's able to use that psychology to her advantage. She should be given a Novel Prize for Psychology just for that. She has unlocked the secret.

If any guys want to understand how daydreaming teenage girls work, read Twilight (and drink a lot of beer to numb the angst).

Ken
04-01-2009, 05:37 PM
... read the first paragraph of Twilight in the library. It was about some kid in a car being driven to an airport, I think. The voice was unusual, somehow. Sorta the way a kid might write. Not necessarily bad. Could really see youngsters liking the style.

Ambrosia
04-01-2009, 06:48 PM
... read the first paragraph of Twilight in the library. It was about some kid in a car being driven to an airport, I think. The voice was unusual, somehow. Sorta the way a kid might write. Not necessarily bad. Could really see youngsters liking the style.Therein is the rub for many, Ken. It isn't just teen girls who love these books. I think that would be easy for people who dislike the author's writing to dismiss. Mothers and grandmothers are fans too. And, some guys are brave enough to admit it as well. Not many, but some.

The fan base is huge. It is in my mind well worth figuring out how she did it, because the marketing has made her a fortune and given her success most new authors only dream about.

Beach Bunny
04-01-2009, 06:49 PM

I haven't read Twilight or seen the movie and I probably won't. It's got nothing to do with anything bad that has been said about it. On numerous occasions, I've picked it up while I was out shopping in the bookstore then put it back on the shelf. The whole vampire as male love interest just doesn't do it for me. Yeah, falling in love with a VAMPIRE is such a mentally healthy thing to do. :rolleyes:

cray
04-01-2009, 06:50 PM
you can't help who you fall in love with. ;)

Devil Ledbetter
04-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Forbidden fruit is the most fattening.

maestrowork
04-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Vampires drink blood, not V8.

LaurieD
04-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I haven't read Twilight and don't plan to - unless I'm laid over in an airport someday and it's the only thing on the shelf.

I've read the flyleaf and, I'm not sure why, it just doesn't make me want to read the book.

I don't plan to watch the movie either - I've seen the commercials and I think Bella would go way beyond getting on my nerves - she annoys me just in the in the clips.

It's not that I hate Twilight - I'm just sick of it. It's like a couple of years ago when Hinder came out with Lips of an Angel. Good song, liked to hear it at first, but it was played way too often by too many stations and soon it was just irritating.

Ambrosia
04-01-2009, 07:01 PM
you can't help who you fall in love with. ;)
QFT

louisgodwin
04-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I just finished reading the first book not too long ago and I fully plan on buying the second. I loved it. Her style is very simplistic (and yes, the muttered's and demanded's, along with other rookie mistakes, did get on my nerves from time to time) but she held my interest. I kept wanting to read more and more. When I wasn't reading, I would actually look forward to when I would be able to pick up the book again.... I NEVER do that. A book is a book, just some are better than others.

But then again, I am a total vamp freak.

jenngreenleaf
04-01-2009, 07:15 PM
It's funny because, when I started reading it, I has absolutely NO IDEA what it was about . . . let alone vampires. I had picked it up for someone, and they never started reading it . . . so, I took it over. :) I'm glad I did because I ordinarily avoid these types of books for some reason.

NeuroFizz
04-01-2009, 07:16 PM
you can't help who you fall in love with.
So if she falls over, I can't help her get up again?

scarletpeaches
04-01-2009, 07:34 PM

It's shite.

Lock thread.

stormie
04-01-2009, 07:59 PM
I'll read it at the library, only because I'm curious. I think I'll be able to read it in an hour or two.

Judg
04-01-2009, 08:18 PM
I'll read it at the library, only because I'm curious. I think I'll be able to read it in an hour or two.
After waiting for your turn for two years...

Ambrosia
04-01-2009, 08:21 PM
You can pick up the paperback of twilight for under $6. That is how they got me. The first one is almost free... the rest of the series is hard cover. Ouch.

Cyia
04-01-2009, 08:45 PM
I bought the first books at Wal-Mart for $7 a piece. Twilight was harmless fluff, then in book 2 Edward was off being suicidal for half the book (Yay! BONUS!!!!), and by that point it was a matter of principle to slog through the rest. I got BD hoping for a nice battle scene, and well... yeah...

Medievalist
04-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Given the success of the books, most people don't dislike them.

Meyer is writing for YA though, and yes, that does make a difference. There are different "values" for YA readers in terms of what and who they're more interested in reading about, for instance.

Meyer does the thing that is more important than anything else, including grammar and syntax and style; Meyer gets story. Her readers have narrative lust; they want to know, quite fiercely, what happens next. And that's the key to storytelling, and always has been.

Cyia
04-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Given the success of the books, most people don't dislike them.

Meyer is writing for YA though, and yes, that does make a difference. There are different "values" for YA readers in terms of what and who they're more interested in reading about, for instance.

Nope. Smeyer wrote it for an adult audience. Her agent marketed is as YA.

scarletpeaches
04-01-2009, 09:49 PM
I think she wrote the book she wanted to read. Genre is all down to how it's marketed.

TsukiRyoko
04-01-2009, 10:16 PM
I might have liked them a few years ago, but after reading so many vampire stories... well... They get a bit old. Aside from that, when I want to read a book about vampires, I don't want a romance story. I don't want an inkling of a romance story. Why? Because vampires aren't supposed to be romantic. They're dead, hungry, and have to be invited into your house and THEN they tear you to shreds. Oh, and I like my vampires more... well... allergic to sunlight.

RobJ
04-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Does Meyer understand her audience better than the competition? Probably not. Some books just seem to come along at the right time and reach a critical mass, then take off. Twilight looks like that to me. And most readers really couldn't care less about muttered and demanded.

Cheers,
Rob

Eskimo1990
04-01-2009, 11:23 PM
The thing about Twilight is when Meyer wrote it she never planned on making it into a book. She wrote it purely for herself because of a dream she had one night and she wanted to know what would happen next to these characters she dreamed up. Her sister was the one who told her to try and send it out because she thought it was good.
Meyer says herself (I believe in one of the special features on the Twilight movie) that everything happened really fast and suddenly she had a three book deal.
For never attempting to write a novel I'd say she did a pretty damn good job on her first attempt.

Of course I also love Twilight and everything about it, but that's just me.