Website
jasontudor.com
This morning, from MSNBC.com

MSNBC.Com said:
Submitted March 31, 2009 14:31:56

Dan Brown said 'Twilight' inspired 'Da Vinci Code'

by Melissa Greenberg
MSNBC Entertainment Reporter

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (Reuters) -- Dan Brown is notoriously quiet about his writing. He rarely gives interviews. The last time he made any waves came during a lawsuit claiming plagiarism.

However, Brown wants you to know that his blockbuster bestseller, "The Da Vinci Code" would have never gotten off the ground without the most recent blockbuster phenomenon, "Twilight," to help it along.

"It awed me," Brown said via telephone from his Connecticut home. "I remember thinking I was stuck somewhere between 'Holy Grail' and 'Knights Templar.' Then, I read 'Twilight' and it all came clear. Bam! Like bacon grease on naked arms."

The issue, of course, is that "Da Vinci Code" was penned some 11 years before the first "Twilight" book hit the shelves. Brown said regardless of that fact, his 67 million books in sales were driven by "Twilight."

"I just ... felt the book in my loins," Brown added, with a sigh. "I guess there are times when an author must admit to inspiration. The gargantuan mountains one must climb to reach authoric heights. And me believing 'Twilight' had already been written and existed like this, even 11 years ago, is exactly what I mean."

Brown further added that he sleeps with a copy of the Stephenie Meyer book under one of his myriad silk pillows on his giant King-size bed made of 24 karat gold with matresses filled with shreddings of unfavorable reviews of "Da Vinci Code."

"I also tuck a copy of 'Twilight' between my thighs when I shower," he concluded.

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Umberto Eco told me a few years ago he was intending to write cross-genre erotic/steampunk/sci-fi/rom-com/chicklit/grindcore vampire books until reading The Da Vinci Code inspired him to write Foucault's Pendulum.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
"I just ... felt the book in my loins," Brown added, with a sigh.
I think I can speak for all of us when I say, I feel Dan's inspiration.

"I also tuck a copy of 'Twilight' between my thighs when I shower," he concluded.
Everything but this was believable about the article, I think DB is exaggerating to make himself sound "cool." I keep my copy of Twilight under my pillow so it influences my dreams and my writing.

-Derek

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I guess there are times when an author must admit to inspiration.

(sigh) I so admire him for this honest and compelling interview. He speaks the words of my heart.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who showers with a copy of Twilight.

I find it really inspires me.

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
This is amazing! I sleep with a copy of the Da Vinci Code and Twilight every night. I never go anywhere without them.

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My own work is inspired by Twilight. I think it's something we should all aspire for.

-Travis

Last edited:

Hivehome

Banned
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSNBC.Com
Submitted March 31, 2009 14:31:56

Dan Brown said 'Twilight' inspired 'Da Vinci Code'

by Melissa Greenberg
MSNBC Entertainment Reporter

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (Reuters) -- Dan Brown is notoriously quiet about his writing. He rarely gives interviews. The last time he made any waves came during a lawsuit claiming plagiarism.

However, Brown wants you to know that his blockbuster bestseller, "The Da Vinci Code" would have never gotten off the ground without the most recent blockbuster phenomenon, "Twilight," to help it along.

"It awed me," Brown said via telephone from his Connecticut home. "I remember thinking I was stuck somewhere between 'Holy Grail' and 'Knights Templar.' Them, I read 'Twilight' and it all came clear. Bam! Like bacon grease on naked arms."

The issue, of course, is that "Da Vinci Code" was penned some 11 years before the first "Twilight" book hit the shelves. Brown said regardless of that fact, his 67 million books in sales were driven by "Twilight."

"I just ... felt the book in my loins," Brown added, with a sigh. "I guess there are times when an author must admit to inspiration. The gargantuan mountains one must climb to reach authoric heights. And me believing 'Twilight' had already been written and existed like this, even 11 years ago, is exactly what I mean."

Brown further added that he sleeps with a copy of the Stephenie Meyer book under one of his myriad silk pillows on his giant King-size bed made of 24 karat gold with matresses filled with shreddings of unfavorable reviews of "Da Vinci Code."

It's all LIES!!!! I never said ANY of that!

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
In other news, J.K. Rowling said that Jacob was the inspiration for Prof. Lupin.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Umberto Eco told me a few years ago he was intending to write cross-genre erotic/steampunk/sci-fi/rom-com/chicklit/grindcore vampire books until reading The Da Vinci Code inspired him to write Foucault's Pendulum.
Wow, waht I liek TOTALLY felt wehn i raed taht

Hesperides

Bloody love
Registered
Reaction score
My eyes fill with the tears of inspiration. If I wash my body in the shimmer that is Twilight, I, too, can be a best selling author. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful article.