PDA

View Full Version : The Intersticiality of Twilight

Sharon Mock
04-01-2009, 09:07 AM
I have been asked--never mind by whom--to justify the continued existence of the Interstices forum. So, without further ado:

Why Twilight Is Interstitial

First and foremost, let me speak of interstitiality. An interstice is a space, a lacuna, a gap. Interstitial work, therefore, is work that exists within the lacunae: between genres, between reality and fabulism, between vegetarian and carnivore. It is neither fish nor fowl, neither flesh nor sparkling marble magnificence.

Interstitiality is, in a word, liminal. And Twilight is, I would argue, an inherently liminal work, for the following reasons.

1: Just look at the title.

Twilight--that which exists between day and night, between darkness and luminence, between obscurity and scintillation. Enough said.

2. The weather.

Notice that Twilight takes place in the temperate rainforests of the Pacific Northwest, an area known for its heavy and pervasive cloud cover. The town of Forks exists essentially without sun, in a state of perpetual... well... you know.

Having lived in Syracuse, New York--an area which gets as much little sun as Seattle--I AM RIGHT ABOUT THIS. YOU DO NOT GET TO ARGUE WITH ME.

3. Edward's nature.

The vampire itself, of course, is a liminal creature, existing between living and dead, between hunger and starvation. But Edward Cullen is, himself, liminal among these liminal beasts. He is a predator, but not on his fellow man; he is impossibly old, yet eternally young; sunlight illuminates his true nature, yet does not deconstruct it. He exists, in short, in that interstitial space between the traditional vampire and the angel forever caught in the process of falling.

4. The hermeneutics of desire.

The engine of Twilight is the dangerous, irresistable, unconsummatable attraction between Cullen and Bella Swan. This attraction exists between the inflammatory Scylla of adolescent desire, and the frigid Charbydis of pure, chaste, courtly love. This liminal--dare I say, Schrodingerian?--superposition state may only resolve itself slowly, and after sufficient sequel count has passed.

5. Its relationship to genre.

Members of the horror community have claimed that Meyer's series will destroy vampires as a usable trope "for a hundred years". [citation needed] We know that the interstitial exists in tension with genre, challenging, deconstructing, and encephalopodinating. Only a truly interstitial work could so effectively hurt, much less destroy, the dominant paradigm.

I believe this list shall hold the proverbial crepuscular hounds at bay while I catch up on my required reading. Perhaps the rest of you can fill in--and in so doing expand--the remaining interstices?

Medievalist
04-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Dearest Sharon

I think you are so very right on the overwhelming Interstitiality of Twilight.

3. Edward's nature.

The vampire itself, of course, is a liminal creature, existing between living and dead, between hunger and starvation. But Edward Cullen is, himself, liminal among these liminal beasts. He is a predator, but not on his fellow man; he is impossibly old, yet eternally young; sunlight illuminates his true nature, yet does not deconstruct it. He exists, in short, in that interstitial space between the traditional vampire and the angel forever caught in the process of falling.

4. The hermeneutics of desire.

The engine of Twilight is the dangerous, irresistable, unconsummatable attraction between Cullen and Bella Swan. This attraction exists between the inflammatory Scylla of adolescent desire, and the frigid Charbydis of pure, chaste, courtly love. This liminal--dare I say, Schrodingerian?--superposition state may only resolve itself slowly, and after sufficient sequel count has passed.

This is the essence of Twilight, and my dear dear Edward, whose hermeneutic is mighty fine, truly an engine, a device a Thing. And his sequel count, dare I say it, given that cat Bella's fecundity, must be stupendous.

Shweta
04-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Consider, also, that Bella herself is interstitial -- she falls right into the crack between her pre-Edward hyper-competent self and some ideal of a romantic heroine, and in the shadowy horrors of that crack, her spine is eaten and dependency is surgically inserted. Without anaesthsia.

Consider, also, Twilight as Feminist Horror -- it reinvents the genre completely.

MacAllister
04-01-2009, 09:59 AM
"unconsummatable"?

ETA: "Feminist Horror", though, I am totally on board with.

In fact, I'm experiencing my very own version of it.

Medievalist
04-01-2009, 10:14 AM
"unconsummatable"?

My Beloved Edward has that . . . issue with his hermeneutic, remember?

MacAllister
04-01-2009, 10:17 AM
There's something so very, VERY, wrong with your pink, sans-serif font.

It's actually making me a teensy bit queasy. We perhaps have to whore associate ourselves with powerful marketing brands for extra traffic...but we don't have to be so...so...gleeful about it.

Shweta
04-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Uh, so... Mac... shiny-unicorn-that's-possessing-Medievalist...

Mac's userpic isn't going to cause trouble between you guys, is it?

http://vorpus.org/~shweta/concern.jpg

dgrintalis
04-01-2009, 10:45 AM
I like pink. I believe it is a very appropriate colour for the new genre called Feminist Horror. I believe that Twilight is a true definition of this genre.

Medievalist
04-01-2009, 10:58 AM
That Bitch Buffy has Issues and No Hermaneutic. Her Steak is a Follic Substitute. Buffy craves the Hermaneutic. And the Cthonoic thaumaturge. Buffy has Urge and no Thauma.

She doesn't even have Lacan. I am Saussure about that.

I do not fear Steak. I know that my Ancestral Heritage is teh PURE Vegetarian Celtic Heathan Drudic Vampires.

We were Sacrificing Peeps in Ritual (http://www.lordofthepeeps.com/peephenge/peephenge.html) when Buffy was still a Chit.

Medievalist
04-01-2009, 10:59 AM
I like pink. I believe it is a very appropriate colour for the new genre called Feminist Horror. I believe that Twilight is a true definition of this genre.

Yes.

And With Twelve you get Egg Rolls and Lacy Garters.

I am all Feminste. Not like that Bella. She doesn't even shave her Legs, and she has Six.

MacAllister
04-01-2009, 11:06 AM
please...PLEASE...Can't someone stop Medievalist? I'm growing terribly concerned.

dgrintalis
04-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I am all Feminste. Not like that Bella. She doesn't even shave her Legs, and she has Six.

Don't you know that shaving your legs is anti-feminist? Being all-natural and hirsute is the way to real femininity. If you shave your legs, you are simply allowing yourself to be shaped by this cruel-male dominated world. I bet you would even like it if some guy stood in the corner of your bedroom and watched you sleep!!!!

Cassiopeia
04-01-2009, 11:08 AM
There's something so very, VERY, wrong with your pink, sans-serif font.

It's actually making me a teensy bit queasy. We perhaps have to whore associate ourselves with powerful marketing brands for extra traffic...but we don't have to be so...so...gleeful about it.I don't mind the pink font, it's that flashing in and out glittery unicorn. I think I'm going to have a seiz---*thud*

Medievalist
04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Don't you know that shaving your legs is anti-feminist? Being all-natural and hirsute is the way to real femininity. If you shave your legs, you are simply allowing yourself to be shaped by this cruel-male dominated world. I bet you would even like it if some guy stood in the corner of your bedroom and watched you sleep!!!!

Revenants Have No Follicle (Pink Floyd, '96).

Some of them have no phall fal fol hermaneutic.

Let us Avoid Being Homo-Normative, like those Nasty Sapiens who Wish to Steak my Beloved Edward.

dgrintalis
04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Let us Avoid Being Homo-Normative, like those Nasty Sapiens who Wish to Steak my Beloved Edward.

Ha! I staked him and ate his liver. With a side of fava beans, of course.

MacAllister
04-01-2009, 11:54 AM
"Hermeneutic"?

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Medievalist
04-01-2009, 11:57 AM
We perhaps have to whore associate ourselves with powerful marketing brands for extra traffic...but we don't have to be so...so...gleeful about it.

Is That Gindered language? Vampires, like my Beloved Edward, have no ginder. They just have lots and lots of bad sex. Hermaneutics will do that.

Hesperides
04-01-2009, 11:33 PM
My head...It...hurts...

Cranky
04-01-2009, 11:38 PM
I am utterly blown away. The big words...the huge concepts...the humeriatic humeristic tumorlike vegan femininst horror...

I can't go on. Words, they fail me.

Oh, look! Sparkles!

Alan Yee
04-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Fascinating post, Sharon! I'll never look at Twilight the same way again. ;)

Liosse de Velishaf
04-02-2009, 02:01 AM
I guess the interstitial has leaked out of the cracks and into the mainstream...

Shweta
04-02-2009, 02:17 AM
I guess the interstitial has leaked out of the cracks and into the mainstream...

sǝoɥs ʎɯ uo ooƃ lɐıʇıʇsɹǝʇuı sı ǝɹǝɥʇ 'sǝou ɥo

Izz
04-02-2009, 03:28 AM
sǝoɥs ʎɯ uo ooƃ lɐıʇıʇsɹǝʇuı sı ǝɹǝɥʇ 'sǝou ɥoɹǝpuoʍ ɟo sǝlʞɹɐds ɥʇıʍ ǝsuıɹ puɐ ǝɔɐɹqɯǝ uoɹı s,pɹɐʍpǝ ɟo ǝɯos ɥʇıʍ ɟɟo ʇı ǝdıʍ 'ʞɔınb - sɥoɥn

Shweta
04-02-2009, 03:53 AM
ɹǝpuoʍ ɟo sǝlʞɹɐds ɥʇıʍ ǝsuıɹ puɐ ǝɔɐɹqɯǝ uoɹı s,pɹɐʍpǝ ɟo ǝɯos ɥʇıʍ ɟɟo ʇı ǝdıʍ 'ʞɔınb - sɥoɥn
:eek:

Izz
04-02-2009, 04:05 AM
ǝʇɐl ooʇ s,ʇı ǝɹoɟǝq ʞɔınb

Shweta
04-02-2009, 04:10 AM
ǝʇɐl ooʇ s,ʇı ǝɹoɟǝq ʞɔınb
I think it's far too late to get interstitial goo off me, actually

Izz
04-02-2009, 04:17 AM
:)

Shweta
04-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Is Medievalist feeling any better yet?
:D

Medievalist
04-02-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm eating Dark Chocolate with Orange (http://chocolatereport.com/2009/03/29/chocolove-dark-chocolate-with-candied-ginger-and-altereco-dark-twist-chocolate/) and drinking red wine.

I'm feeling fine.

And I loathe pink more than ever.

Shweta
04-02-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm eating Dark Chocolate with Orange and drinking red wine.

I'm feeling fine.

MMmmmmchocolate

And I loathe pink more than ever.

But... but... the shade we get in the forum is so darling.

Izz
04-02-2009, 07:49 AM
uıɐƃɐ lɐɯɹou ˙˙˙os sƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ pǝuǝddɐɥ ʇɐɥʍ

Medievalist
04-02-2009, 07:54 AM
But... but... the shade we get in the forum is so darling.

Sure, if you're a Pepto addict . . .

Shweta
04-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Sure, if you're a Pepto addict . . .
It makes me think of that shade that was popular with black in like... 1990 or so in Holland.

Cranky
04-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Hmmm. Pink=the new black. :D

Shweta
04-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Hmmm. Pink=the new black. :D
My visual system begs to differ :)

Cranky
04-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Well, mine's unreliable after all this sparkly. :roll:

Shweta
04-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Well, mine's unreliable after all this sparkly. :roll:
:ROFL:

http://img34.glitterfy.com/92/glitterfy001447626D32.gif (http://www.glitterfy.com/)

Cranky
04-02-2009, 09:19 AM
*shields eyes*

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!