Would a speeding ticket show up on a driving record search?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on how the cop wrote it up.

There's some ways of writing up a speeding offense (at least in some states--PA is one) where it doesn't carry points (but does carry a bigger fine) that a cop can use. Anything that carries points on your license will show up for your home state. I'm not sure if points from out of state will show up--but I think they do now. Didn't used to about 10 years ago.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
This link might help, too. It looks like it would be three points on the character's license, which might well make a difference if they were insisting on someone with a perfect record.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
But... he could have hired a lawyer and beat the rap completely, or get off with just the fine, or go to traffic school... there are options.

Every state I've ever lived in shares DL info, but there may be exceptions.

I allude to this character having gotten a speeding ticket way back in the wild days of youth (I know, such a rebel!), and want to know if a few years later this would follow that character. So assume the ticket was paid and there were no further issues with it.

AngelRoseDarke

Kind-hearted stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelrosedarke.110mb.com
In TN only felonies show up on a background check from empolyers. My husband has numerous tickets, lost his DL, and did time for a misdemeanor. None of that has ever shown up on a check for job.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
In TN only felonies show up on a background check from empolyers. My husband has numerous tickets, lost his DL, and did time for a misdemeanor. None of that has ever shown up on a check for job.

Did he have his driver's license checked? I think that's a separate matter from criminal background checks.

AngelRoseDarke

Kind-hearted stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelrosedarke.110mb.com
If it's a DL check specifically, everything related to that person's DL will show up. It doesn't matter how long ago the ticket was. Unless it was wiped from your record it will be there.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
In California, a criminal background check is done through the Justice Department and is separate from a DMV driving record check. My last employee needed both, and when doing the DMV check I was instructed to ask for a check back five years prior. A speeding ticket would show on the DMV printout, butI believe the only way a traffic ticket would show up on a criminal check through the Justice Department would be if there was a Failure to Appear associated with it, meaning if the speeder didn't pay the ticket and didn't show up to court. (but even this is a misdemeanor and not usually required info when asked on an application)

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
If one of my characters got a speeding ticket for going 15 MPH over the speed limit and had no other criminal history, would that speeding ticket likely show up in a criminal background and driving record search by a college or employer? Assuming it's a really upscale employer who will look into these things.

Not sure why an employer (or college???) would want a driving record unless the position was for a driver. But yes. Your driving history has everything you have ever done on it as far as your license in that state is concerned. Hearings, failures to appear, tickets (even if they were dismissed), surcharges, suspensions. I know this for a fact in Jersey and PA, but I'm fairly certain it's that way everywhere as every state in the country participates in a program where when you apply for a license they get your driving record.

But someone mentioned the fact that criminal records and driving records are separate. This is true I think across the board.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Driving records, state criminal records, and national criminal records are all separate data banks. Yes, a speeding ticket would show if it was a conviction. If the person did something like deferred adjudication and had it dismissed, it would not show. If they did something like DSC (Driver's Safety Course) the fact that they took it would show up, but what ticket was for would not show.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Driving records, state criminal records, and national criminal records are all separate data banks. Yes, a speeding ticket would show if it was a conviction. If the person did something like deferred adjudication and had it dismissed, it would not show. If they did something like DSC (Driver's Safety Course) the fact that they took it would show up, but what ticket was for would not show.

I'm pretty sure in NJ if you plead not guilty, it shows up as "whatever violation/not guilty-dismissed."

Oh, hey...this post is 666!!!!!! Creeeeepy.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen a not guilty/dismissed appear on a driving record. I suppose it's possible that would show up on an intrastate search but not be reported for multistate.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
@ Soccer Mom - A UTT (Uniform Traffic Ticket) is in lieu of an arrest. If the search was for arrests/tickets, then it would include all tickets issued and the disposition of them.

As mentioned above, a driver's history is a different database than a criminal history. Yes, if both were checked, the conviction on the speeding ticket would show up.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But... he could have hired a lawyer and beat the rap completely, or get off with just the fine, or go to traffic school... there are options.

Every state I've ever lived in shares DL info, but there may be exceptions.

But the charge will still appear unless the record is expunged. Again, I only know about FL

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A thorough background check would search the local county Clerks of the Court. All records of tickets are available through the clerks office and must be expunged if applicable.
It's a little-known quick check on people.

Once again, I only know about FL.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen a not guilty/dismissed appear on a driving record. I suppose it's possible that would show up on an intrastate search but not be reported for multistate.

You're probably right. I've had one ticket that was dismissed, but it was so long ago I don't remember if it showed up.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score

That just means that the employers chose to use limited criminal background checks, as opposed to complete criminal and driver's license background checks. It's cheaper to get a limited background check than a complete one, so if all the employer cares about is making sure they don't hire a violent felon, that's all they're going to do. If the job involves driving or includes a company car, however, they're definitely going to get a driver's license check--most likely their car insurer will obligate them to run such checks on potential employees.

Unless there's a state law that forbids employers from doing certain kinds of checks, an employer can do whatever check it wants. In the OP's case, if the employer wants a complete criminal and driver's license check, they can probably get it, no problem. It's just down to what kind of background check the employer requests--limited or complete, criminal only or also driving record.

Last edited:

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
@ Soccer Mom - A UTT (Uniform Traffic Ticket) is in lieu of an arrest. If the search was for arrests/tickets, then it would include all tickets issued and the disposition of them.

As mentioned above, a driver's history is a different database than a criminal history. Yes, if both were checked, the conviction on the speeding ticket would show up.

That's not the right terminology. A speeding ticket doesn't involve a conviction; the cop sees you commit the infraction (speeding), writes the ticket, and voila, it's all over. In contrast, you get a "conviction" if you are charged with a crime and have a trial. That's a very different situation.

If you fight the ticket you can get it thrown out, which in some and perhaps all states makes it disappear from your record, but if you don't fight it, it's on your record. And it's not a "conviction"--it's not like you had a trial and were convicted. Convictions are for crimes (felonies and misdemeanors). Traffic tickets are for infractions, not crimes.

Last edited:

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Driving records, state criminal records, and national criminal records are all separate data banks. Yes, a speeding ticket would show if it was a conviction.

Again, wrong terminology. There's no conviction involved in a speeding ticket. Convictions apply to crimes (including DUI), but not to infractions like speeding. Saying "the ticket would show if it were a conviction" makes it sound like something in addition to getting the ticket has to happen before it will show on your record. But that's not the case; if you get a ticket it will show on your driving record, period, unless you fight the ticket in court and get it thrown out.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I have a non-driving job, except the fact that I need to drive to crime scenes, the courthouse, work, etc. My employer checked and found I had previous speeding tickets. In Lee County you can search a person's legal history with the Clerk of Courts website. Any thing from deeds, marriage licenses, to small claims court to criminal court. If you get the ticket thrown out, it will still show it just will give that information. It's a record. You can still request an arrest report after someone is found not guilty.

Every driving infraction you make in this county shows up with a quick type of your name. A lot of places are like that. Plus the police website shows the record the next day. "Officer so-and-so gave a speeding infraction to this person at this location."

Those records remain in their database as well. Most information about someone is at the click of a button these days. For a few bucks you can more or less know what size underwear they wear...