PDA

View Full Version : Are Werewolves the New Black?

Soccer Mom
04-01-2009, 07:39 AM
The furry critters are everywhere. Vampires are done. Boy wizards are so yesterday. It seems that all paranormal fiction must include werewolves. Even Harry Potter and the Twilight juggernaught included the beloved man/beasts.

What say the masses? (and no, I'm not prejudiced because the character of Jacob was completely hot and New Moon is the only Meyer book worth reading.)

ChaosTitan
04-01-2009, 07:40 AM
PFFT!

Were-owls, baby!!!!!

Soccer Mom
04-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Don't you have a vampire thread somewhere to attend to?

ChaosTitan
04-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Hey, you spread the werewolf love to my thread. I'm spreading the were-owl love to this one. My were-birds are SEXY! :D

Soccer Mom
04-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Feathers can't compete with fur in the sexy olympics.

ChaosTitan
04-01-2009, 07:47 AM
They can if they're wearing those feathers as huge, honking, HOT angel wings...

Soccer Mom
04-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Okay, I'll give you angel wings. But vampires are cold and dead.

Give me furry and feisty any day!

Shweta
04-01-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm still waiting on the weresheep.

Matera the Mad
04-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Zombies are the new vampire. Rot is hot.

katiemac
04-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Pfft. Vampires, done? You guys must have lost a lot of blood recently ...

Phoebe H
04-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Honestly?

Just as I think that vampires can be a great way to tiptoe around sexuality -- especially alternative sexualities -- I think that lycanthropy can be a great way to talk about trans issues. It's certainly one of the tricks that I use. (Though I prefer were-eagles, myself. And were-otters.)

I don't think that it is a coincidence that weres are becoming more popular at the same time that transfolk are becoming more visible. I don't think it's a cause/effect thing, but I think there is a connection.

Shweta
04-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Honestly?

Just as I think that vampires can be a great way to tiptoe around sexuality -- especially alternative sexualities -- I think that lycanthropy can be a great way to talk about trans issues. It's certainly one of the tricks that I use. (Though I prefer were-eagles, myself. And were-otters.)

I don't think that it is a coincidence that weres are becoming more popular at the same time that transfolk are becoming more visible. I don't think it's a cause/effect thing, but I think there is a connection.

This raises two interesting questions.

1) Why are vampires and werewolves always at odds? Does this mirror in some way the tension in the GLBT community between the GLB part and the T part?

2) If one were to want to deal with sexuality changing in a trans person as they transition, would one write about a werewolf who got Turned during the Change?

Phoebe H
04-01-2009, 09:10 AM
This raises two interesting questions.

Oooo! Those are interesting questions.

1) Why are vampires and werewolves always at odds? Does this mirror in some way the tension in the GLBT community between the GLB part and the T part?

I think they're always portrayed as at odds because their approaches to getting what they want are completely different. Vampires are about subtlety and glamour and a kind of detached analytical coolness, and werewolves are about direct action and rage and instincts. (You can go against type with a berserk vampire or a were other than a wolf, but those are the really the basic stereotypes.) You could also make a feminine vs masculine argument, though that's not how I like to use them.

I think you could *definitely* use this distinction to mirror the GLB vs T tensions. The main thing that I would emphasize is the difference between the vampire's need for blood, which is a hunger and a drive (that is, something that they have to *do*) and the were's struggle with form and identity (which is about who they *are*). That is, a vampire uses it's powers as a means to feed. But a werewolf feeds as a consequence of it's form. (You can certainly make them more similar than that, especially by focusing on the way that a human changes into a vampire, or by requiring a werewolf to feed, but we were talking about ways to highlight differences.)

I think that would be a very cool concept to play with.

2) If one were to want to deal with sexuality changing in a trans person as they transition, would one write about a werewolf who got Turned during the Change?

The thing is...issues of sexuality shifting among trans folk are so individual, and so complicated, that I would have a hard time using such a straightforward, almost predicatable metaphor to deal with that. I think it *could* work, if handled just right, but it doesn't really speak to me.

Zoombie
04-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Where were you people when I started my "Werewolves are so much better than vampires" club!?

Fun fact!

Of all three White Wolf systems that I have read, Vampire is the most popular...but vampire characters are the weakest, have the most limited abilities, and generally have life the worst. The less popular Mage series, however, has the most fucking awesome powers ever ever ever.

A mid level Proteus mage can SUMMON A MINIATURE SUN IN THEIR PALM!

Burn, suckers!

kct webber
04-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Wereplatypus.

Lock thread.

Phoebe H
04-01-2009, 09:31 AM
The less popular Mage series, however, has the most fucking awesome powers ever ever ever.

A mid level Proteus mage can SUMMON A MINIATURE SUN IN THEIR PALM!

Burn, suckers!

I agree. I had a Euthanatos mage that was a *lot* of fun. And Entropy is tailor-made for coincidental magic, so I almost never had to worry about paradox.

NicoleMD
04-01-2009, 09:36 AM
I think something really needs to be done about the "uneducated werewolf" stereotype. I mean, besides Teen Wolf Too, how many weres do we see getting higher educations? Really, it pisses me off. Just because they're always growling and foaming at the mouth doesn't mean the brains aren't tickin'!

Nicole

Matera the Mad
04-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Damn right. It outrages my Inner Wolf.

Zoombie
04-01-2009, 10:05 AM
One of my favorite wolves, Kitty, is a college graduate who owns her own talk show!

maestrowork
04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
I love my werewolves like my coffee... black.

Namatu
04-01-2009, 06:15 PM
The zombies are coming to take over while you're all distracted with vampires and werewolves.

Bubastes
04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
I think something really needs to be done about the "uneducated werewolf" stereotype. I mean, besides Teen Wolf Too, how many weres do we see getting higher educations? Really, it pisses me off. Just because they're always growling and foaming at the mouth doesn't mean the brains aren't tickin'!

Nicole

Professor Lupin. He was smart and an awesum teacher. :D

Kathleen42
04-01-2009, 06:23 PM
One of my favorite wolves, Kitty, is a college graduate who owns her own talk show!

And Richard was a junior high science teacher.

Phaeal
04-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Where I live, they fine werewolves 250 DOLLARS if they don't pick up their droppings, whereas vampires can drip blood all over the public sidewalks and get away with it because the vampire lobby has the state legislature in its mesmeric sway.

It's SO UNFAIR!

JeanneTGC
04-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Vampires are SO five minutes ago. Werewolves are where it's AT.

Cranky
04-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Professor Lupin. He was smart and an awesum teacher. :D

Fo shizzle!

Hesperides
04-01-2009, 11:02 PM
The zombies are coming to take over while you're all distracted with vampires and werewolves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twy9JFitMaE

Mr. Anonymous
04-01-2009, 11:17 PM
I was pretty sure that everyone here just spontaneously went insane until I looked at the calendar. LOL.

dirtsider
04-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Did someone say weresheep? Well, don't have them but I do have a link to the Death Sheep from Hell....

http://www.tomsmithonline.com/lyrics/fenton.htm

AZ_Dawn
04-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Did someone say weresheep? Well, don't have them but I do have a link to the Death Sheep from Hell....

http://www.tomsmithonline.com/lyrics/fenton.htm
That's it! I want wereshelties!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/aronnax/Photographs/WereMiss.jpg

Keep them darn were sheep in line! :D

ChaosTitan
04-02-2009, 03:41 AM
I was pretty sure that everyone here just spontaneously went insane until I looked at the calendar. LOL.

Because it's Wednesday? :Shrug:

kct webber
04-02-2009, 03:48 AM

Happens every year. It's a wonderful thing. :D