PDA

View Full Version : Singer -medical conditions?

thethinker42
04-01-2009, 06:02 AM
I need my lead singer to be out of commission for a while due to a medical condition. I'd like her out for at least a month or so. Preferably something directly related to her ability to sing (damage to vocal cords?), but she'll theoretically recover enough to be able to sing again within a few weeks or a couple of months. Ideally, something that could have setbacks - i.e., she's recovering, but then it either gets worse or there are problems with healing and she is out of commission for a few weeks longer than originally expected.

She's in a hard rock band, prone to the occasional scream during a song, but perhaps does it in such a way that screws up her voice.

I'd like her to still be able to speak to a certain extent, but that's not required. (Quite frankly, she's a bitch...I wouldn't mind if she had to STFU for a few chapters)

Kathleen42
04-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Just asked a musician friend. He said you could look into vocal cord nodules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fold_nodule).

thethinker42
04-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Perfect. Exactly what I'm looking for.

You rock!

Rabe
04-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Just asked a musician friend. He said you could look into vocal cord nodules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fold_nodule).

Was going to suggest this as well as both Meat Loaf and Bonnie Tyler had to cancel shows because of them. Also seems to be quite common when a singer needs to take some time off for whatever reason.

Also, taking a page from Meat Loaf, you could have the singer suffering from a psychologically induced larangitis. (spelling?) He says that he developed his by trying to followup the humongous success to Bat Out of Hell and taking time off to do some movies and let Steinman record the followup himself helped out immensely.

Interesting story - back in 2005 I went to New York to see a tribute show to Jim Steinman with special 'surprise' guest star Bonnie Tyler. She was lovely and very sweet to all the fans there. Very personable and open.

The next day I'm walking down Times Square to get back to my hotel for show number two when who should I happen to run into? Bonnie Tyler and her husband (apparently they were staying in a hotel near mine!)

Bonnie and I are talking and her voice is husky and raspier than normal. She tells me that she sang Total Eclipse in the wrong key the night before and strained her vocal cords. I'm trying to get her to stop talking so much because I'd rather she save her voice for the recording work she was supposed to be doing at the time.

She made sure to, gleefully, tell me in her wonderful Welsh accent: "Yes, and the doctor stuck a needle in my bum to cure it!" Ah...the wonderful stories.

So the 'screaming' and such could have been done in such a way that she strained her vocal cords and the character is just too stubborn to take the time off she needs.

Rabe...