PDA

View Full Version : Who wore a black veil in the 80's?

KikiteNeko
04-01-2009, 04:46 AM
My 12-year-old MC is going to own a black veil. I want to say it's leftover from a halloween costume... Who is a famous character, in the 1980's, who might have worn a black veil and was popular enough to inspire a halloween costume?

TheIT
04-01-2009, 04:47 AM
Elvira, perhaps, though she was mostly known for a black dress with a plunging neckline.

firedrake
04-01-2009, 04:56 AM
I want to say Madonna wore one in a video. I just can't remember which one.
'Like a Prayer', perhaps.

alleycat
04-01-2009, 05:02 AM
Maybe . . . Scheherazade. Or a harem girl. That could have been a Halloween costume.

mscelina
04-01-2009, 05:09 AM
Madonna did in the "Like a Virgin" video. She also wore a black veil (perhaps from some psychic warning) when she married Sean Penn. Cyndi Lauper wore a top hat with a black veil for some of the promo pics for "She's so Unusual".

TheIT
04-01-2009, 05:11 AM
A black veil makes me think of deep mourning back when hats were in style for women. Instead of a Halloween costume, maybe the veil came from your MC's grandmother.

KikiteNeko
04-01-2009, 05:26 AM
A black veil makes me think of deep mourning back when hats were in style for women. Instead of a Halloween costume, maybe the veil came from your MC's grandmother.

Well she's going to wear it TO a funeral, but I want there to be some childhood foolishness to it, such as a halloween costume.

Rabe
04-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Well she's going to wear it TO a funeral, but I want there to be some childhood foolishness to it, such as a halloween costume.

Elvira wasn't exactly known for wearing a veil...or anything to really cover up.

But didn't the first Adams Family movie come out in time for this to be viable? Morticia Adams would definitely be 'veiled'.

And wasn't Madonna's 'white' in "Like A Virgin"?

But I'm also wondering what kind of 'veil' you're refering to? Something more like a bridal veil or like the little hats with the black screen in front of them. Because those type were immensely popular and you could be aping characters from Falcon's Crest, Dynasty, Dallas - etc.

Rabe...

blackrose602
04-02-2009, 06:18 AM
The first thing that popped into my mind was Lydia, Winona Ryder's character in Beetlejuice. I was 12 when that movie came out (1988), and though I never actually had a black veil, I adored the character. I'd imagine there were some Lydia costumes out there...

PastMidnight
04-02-2009, 01:36 PM
The first thing that popped into my mind was Lydia, Winona Ryder's character in Beetlejuice. I was 12 when that movie came out (1988), and though I never actually had a black veil, I adored the character. I'd imagine there were some Lydia costumes out there...

Ditto. That's exactly who I was thinking of.

Eldritch
04-04-2009, 04:10 AM
Ditto. That's exactly who I was thinking of.

Same here.

Rabe
04-07-2009, 09:51 AM

That is true and there was a 'veil like' thing for the wedding scene.

Which was, I believe, also the costume of choice for the cartoon series.

Rabe...