Signs of Spring and Fall

Deleted member 42

Where I am, western Washington state, near Seattle, we've got snow in the hills still, but the crocuses are open all the way--yellow, purple, white, and the white-and-purple-striped ones--are open all the way. The trees have started opening their buds. People are getting ready to plant lettuce and peas and herbs in their gardens.

What's it's like where you are? You don't have to be too specific; just the general area.

What's blooming, or getting ready to bloom, where you are? Are the leaves turning colors yet, or the nights getting cooler (or warmer)?

I'm wondering if the pussy willows and forsythia are blooming in New England. I miss the Lilac trees of May fiercely, but then I miss Southern California's Coral trees and Jacarandas (really from Brazil, originally) too.

What have you got people?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The pussy willows are out here in Southern Ontario. My niece gave some to my wife the other day. There is a tiny tiny patch of snow in the back of our garden. I don't know how it's there, since everything else melted quite a while ago. I can see into the woods right now, out my back window. There is no snow that I can see. The creek is roaring...later in the spring it will be nothing but a trickle. There are no buds on any of the trees yet. The crocuses are just beginning to come out...I raked the backyard on Saturday and found them hiding under all the dead stuff. It's still brown and dreary...but every day we are closer to having those bigger signs of spring. Flowers, leaves, etc. I can't wait.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The magnolias are in full bloom, so are daffodils. The pear trees with awesome white blossoms, and the willows. Not so much on the ground yet -- the roses are just sprouting; give them another couple of weeks.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The magnolias are in full bloom, so are daffodils. The pear trees with awesome white blossoms, and the willows. Not so much on the ground yet -- the roses are just sprouting; give them any couple of weeks.

I'm so jealous.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In SoCal, the roses at the train station are in full bloom! And a few weeks ago, the bougainvilleas all came back, which are lovely. I've seen a bunch of daisies and daffodils around. And someone told me the big fields of california poppies are blooming right now, but not inside the city.

Plus everyone is sneezing all over the place, so it must be spring! :)

Deleted member 42

And someone told me the big fields of california poppies are blooming right now, but not inside the city.

Right around Easter is the best time to see entire fields of poppies and dessert wild flowers. If you can get away for a day trip, do it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Lilacs at the side of the house are juuuuuust budding out. The Red Bud in the back is covered - even with the snow we had last weekend. The jasmine in the planters on the front porch looks a little ragged, but survived another winter and will soon be covered with fragrant white stars. Daffodils are past their prime, but the grape hyacinths are going wild.

The tomatoes are safe in the ground inside their little Wall-o-Water tee-pees... Spring is - despite the snow - here.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here in metro Phoenix, our Lady Banks roses are blooming (google Tombstone Rose), but the tea roses are still just budding. We didn't lose our bouganvillias, so they have bloomed all winter. Lantana is starting to show some color, also the verbena. The pyracantha is almost bloomed out. And the citrus is blooming everywhere.

MM

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
In North Florida the azaleas, wysteria, dogwoods, and redbuds have finished blooming and the trees are now leafed out in that brilliant new green. I posted pics a few weeks ago of everything in bloom. :)

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Calgary has snow. With more expected.

A few wildly-optimistic poplars are starting to bud but they don't usually leaf out until May, about the same time the wild crocus bloom. My tulips and daffodils usually bloom in June.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
our Apricot tree is in full bloom, and the purple Irises are popping out by the dozens ( I swear there's only two bulbs in there..) I noticed a healthy batch of bright California Poppies on the side of the road today, mixed in quite attractively with proud Mexican Heather.
I miss the Lilacs from back home in Wyoming, but here in California we have a wild version which is darker and seen adorning freeway on-ramps. Wisteria is already weighing down trellises, but I'm not sure if my Jasmine is going to flower, it's stuck under an eave. the Azealas are finally blooming, and so are the little clumps of deccoorative grasses surrounding our defunct pond.
and there's some kind of flowering shrub I haven't yet identified about to burst with hundreds of Azaela-like pink blossoms. all this and yet the mulberry trees are still bare, and even the Mistletoe sucking life from them are fading.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I was thinking about the cedars blooming in central Texas, today, and missing it.

Deleted member 42

I'm sort of looking forward to seeing the local Rhododendrons blooming; they're huge here, as in 12 to fifteen feet huge.

In N. H. they were maybe 5 feet, at their tallest.

They bloom in May, late May, and June in N. H.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Where I am, western Washington state, near Seattle, we've got snow in the hills still, but the crocuses are open all the way--yellow, purple, white, and the white-and-purple-striped ones--are open all the way. The trees have started opening their buds. People are getting ready to plant lettuce and peas and herbs in their gardens.

It must be magical to live in the same state where Twilight is set.

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
SRPING! Sunny weather as +3 Celsius degree. Thinking planting seeds in pots and such. Time to put less thick clothes for going outside. :D

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
A balmy 18 here

Camelias, forsythia and the 'bush we have never figured out what it is' are going great guns. The Californian lilac will be out any day, oh and the magnolia at the end of the road looks glorious. Certain parts of town look like they are having a snow attack from the cherry blossoms. In the forest the hawthorn, primroses and anemones are all out too

I love spring.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
East Coast USA, April 1st. Spring seems to have forgotten about this part of the world. Most of the trees aren't even blooming, yet, and the patches of concrete-framed grass about the nabe haven't begun growing, either, but remain short and stubby like the crappy crewcuits barbers are always trying to give you cause they're a lot easier to do than regular haircuts.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
another part of the east coast, usa, april 1st. she has already made me double the size of the garden. an additional four yards of mushroom soil has been mixed in. also, she told me she's sick of the usual routine and that i'm to put in underground irrigation system beginning today. this past saturday i was told not to wear the dark pants anymore this year.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Outside of my house today:

spring.jpg

And the lovely pear trees:

spring1.jpg

With daffodils -- the Japanese maple is budding as well:

sprin2.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

It must be magical to live in the same state where Twilight is set.

I feel so Blessed to be Near My Beloved Edward's Piece of Earth, and not where That Bitch Buffy Molests Beautiful Young Men with Steaks.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Maestro, those pictures make me want to cry. we're a month and a half away from that. Like bardskye said we got 12 inches of snow two weekends ago, only a little bit of it melted away and then last saturday night we got another 5 or 6 inches. it's starting to melt but we're supposed to get more snow this week. I haven't seen any poplars starting to bud so I'm thinking bardskye lives in south calgary which has a totally different climate than north calgary. we got no buds. none. May long weekend we usually start our gardening.

But what a gorgeous street you live on. I'm jealous.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 30 miles from Ray (more in the mountains) and we're still in the budding stage. The tiger lillies are reaching for the sky and the magnolia tree is seriously budding. We have a cool magnolia 'cause once it starts blooming, it keeps blooming until the second hard frost--and some years it doesn't give up then.

The neighbor's English garden (we're both on double lots, so she's got a LOT of English garden) is finally showing the first hints of buds and green.

Even more, the bunnies and chipmunks are out more and more. The owls have been awake even in the afternoon. Spring is here.

Deleted member 42

Redbud. I'd forgotten about it and spring.

I once drove all the way along the Blueridge Parkway in spring, just days after it opened.

It was gorgeous, dog wood, and late blooming red bud.

Anyway here in Michigan or the UK where there's lots of "Mayflower," or "true" Hawthorne? The flowers sort of erupt, like a lace explosion against the vivid dark green of the leaves. It's too early, really . . .