Abridged vs. Unabridged

lilac

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on a quest to read books I feel I "should have already read." So, I picked up a copy of Robinson Crusoe at the library on the discard/fundraiser shelves. I'm trying to determine if it's abridged or unabridged. My assumption is that it's unabridged, but I'd love to know for sure.

Info:

It was published by Doubleday and Company, Inc. in 1946. The story starts on page 2. I don't see anything on page 1 to indicate the book is abridged. So, be default, I'm assuming it's unabridged.

The only thing to "scare" me into thinking it possibly could be abridged is that on the flap in red letters I see the words "Book Club Edition." But really, any abridged works I've ever read usually say so, and there is usually some sort of medium-length intro prior to the actual work, which this book doesn't have.

Abridged or unabridged? Any criteria I might be failing to consider?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I have no idea, but I see the question is lingering and didn't want to flee without saying something.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
It would be a safe assumption to say that it is unabridged.

You could always go to your local bookstore and grab a copy of Robinson Crusoe and compare the two books in the store. You could also ask the librarian at the library you picked it up from.

Deleted member 42

Books that are abridged will say so, unless they're published pre-1900 or so.

There's a copyright law clause that makes it a requirement.

lilac

Registered
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the replies! I can rest easy knowing I'm reading unabridged, yippee.